Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Gates doesn't strike me as a sociopath

Oh don't worry, he is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates#Management_style

quote:

Gates had primary responsibility for Microsoft's product strategy from the company's founding in 1975 until 2006. He gained a reputation for being distant from others; an industry executive complained in 1981 that "Gates is notorious for not being reachable by phone and for not returning phone calls."[66] An Atari executive recalled that he showed Gates a game and defeated him 35 of 37 times. When they met again a month later, Gates "won or tied every game. He had studied the game until he solved it. That is a competitor".[67]

Gates met regularly with Microsoft's senior managers and program managers, and the managers described him as being verbally combative. He also berated them for perceived holes in their business strategies or proposals that placed the company's long-term interests at risk.[68][69] He interrupted presentations with such comments as "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard"[70] and "why don't you just give up your options and join the Peace Corps?"[71] The target of his outburst would then have to defend the proposal in detail until Gates was fully convinced.[70] When subordinates appeared to be procrastinating, he was known to remark sarcastically, "I'll do it over the weekend."[72][73][74]

Imagine being such a lovely person you get an entire section on wikipedia describing how you're a lovely person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

Oh don't worry, he is:

Imagine being such a lovely person you get an entire section on wikipedia describing how you're a lovely person

that's only because they can't make a page for "almost every manager in the us"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

His biggest crime though:

quote:

Gates made a guest appearance as himself on the Emmy Award winning TV show The Big Bang Theory.

Somewhere out there is an angry wikipedia editor who insists it always be referred to as Emmy Award Winning TV show The Big Bang Theory

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

that's only because they can't make a page for "almost every manager in the us"

The game thing stands out more to me tbh, like he was so loving mad at losing that he angrily played a videogame for a solid month just so he could totally gently caress that dude up that he met once in a business meeting.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Bloop posted:

Gates doesn't strike me as a sociopath just a true believer in some dumb poo poo

Gates is smart enough to know exactly what sort of wheel-spinning bullshit he’s doing with his foundation

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

The game thing stands out more to me tbh, like he was so loving mad at losing that he angrily played a videogame for a solid month just so he could totally gently caress that dude up that he met once in a business meeting.

Serious Michael Jordan energy right there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Shame Boy posted:

Well I mean, it says the guy showed Gates a game and then they played it. So Gates had never played it before, logically he's gonna lose. Maybe he just played the game some more after that? You don't have to play a game obsessively for a month to become competent at it, especially vs another executive

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Well I mean, it says the guy showed Gates a game and then they played it. So Gates had never played it before, logically he's gonna lose. Maybe he just played the game some more after that? You don't have to play a game obsessively for a month to become competent at it, especially vs another executive

it's also an atari game from 1987, so he probably could've memorized it or figured out the small number of tricks to always win

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I knew saying that would bring all you nerd motherfuckers out to be all um actually studying a videogame as a grown-rear end businessman to learn its tricks so you can beat another grown-rear end businessman is a totally cool and normal thing to do, especially in 1981, and besides it's not even that hard psh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there is no reason to assume that gates wants the best for everyone whereas the kochs don't

neither party is acting in any sort of collective interest, the kochs just went the extra step and decided that capitalism chooses the best people as winners and those should rule *in general*. gates still obviously believes that about himself

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if they were good people they wouldn't own a business. it's really that simple. you have to he an exploitative scumbag at your heart to be the boss of a workplace, and especially to succeed at that even if its largely thanks to daddy's money and connections. lot of internalized liberalism here, as made clear by even entertaining the thought that private property isn't inherently immoral, and that there is a 'proper' way to exercise it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like yeah I agree, it's possible that someone else could have just super duper loved the videogame and played it himself a bunch for fun and then had a friendly game of pong or whatever with the other dude a month later, sure.

Knowing Bill Gates and the fact that it made this specific impression on the other dude, that is absolutely not what went down.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

plenty of decent people are bourgeois or petit-bourgeois, it's got very little to do with individual moral character imo. you do have to be willing to cross some boundaries to make it to the highest levels, but at the several-million-dollar business level it's perfectly possible to actually be a perfectly decent human being

the kochs are just class conscious and have formulated an ideology. gates is the billionaire equivalent of a guy who's in the union and does the work but doesn't read theory

the bourgeoise are the enemy because their interest happen to be inimical to ours, and to human dignity in general, not because they're individually bad people

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it can be both, man.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Oh don't worry, he is:

This just sounds like a guy who should never have been "elevated" to management, and also got an ego boost from being successful. Classic engineer who made it big. Also probably a nerd who got too much into winning vidjagames.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He just comes off like a nerd with no social skills :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If the gates foundation actually eradicates malaria it will have done far, far more for the collective good than the kochs ever even attempted

gently caress gates, but let's not pretend all bad things are 100% bad or equally bad

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bloop posted:

If the gates foundation actually eradicates malaria it will have done far, far more for the collective good than the kochs ever even attempted

gently caress gates, but let's not pretend all bad things are 100% bad or equally bad

see, this is the trick

the US government directly spent roughly a billion dollars on anti-malaria projects in FY 2020. much of this funding goes to malaria control work in poor countries with serious malaria issues. plus it also contributes considerable funding to organizations like the World Health Organization that themselves do a lot of anti-malaria work

but if malaria were to be eradicated tomorrow, you would give the credit to Bill Gates, who prevented his money from going toward those projects so that he could instead drive his privatized market-centered model of fighting malaria via big direct subsidies to drug companies and pesticide companies. but he made sure to spend some of the money on advertising and making sure his name was all over the effort, so he's remembered as the guy who proved market-driven billionaire charity was the way to assure public health

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Ah, but perhaps you forget: Windows 95!

But yeah, trying and failing to do good gets you a lower tier in hell than trying to make your life better by making others suffer. Still hell though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the bourgeoise are the enemy because their interest happen to be inimical to ours, and to human dignity in general, not because they're individually bad people

see I think working against human dignity in general necessarily makes you a bad person

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

indigi posted:

see I think working against human dignity in general necessarily makes you a bad person

then we're all bad people up here

my point is just that we cannot base our analysis or condemnation on moral sentiment, because it's frail and not especially convincing unless you're already on board, and because we really need bad people on our side as well because there's an awful lot of them and our only real strength is in numbers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh of course I’ll take their help or donations to the cause but they’re still bad people

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

see, this is the trick

... if malaria were to be eradicated tomorrow, you would give the credit to Bill Gates

No the gently caress I wouldn't

You should know better than to put words in people's mouths

Working towards a good doesn't mean you did it alone, or even really at all. I'm his case it just goes a tiny way towards mitigating the evil of stealing billions of dollars etc

It's only "good" in that is better by comparison to worse things, but don't stop reading the worst interpretation possible into people's posts

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gates has his foundation make obsequious documentaries about what a genius he is. the foundation's education policies are awful and have contributed to the declining capacity and quality of public schools. his companies did so much awful underhanded poo poo that essentially instituted software taxes on every public institution and a large percentage of the population for decades while reducing their own tax exposure theres no point in even going through it. the foundation money is stolen public money. gently caress bill gates

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not to mention his plan to implant microchips with the mark of the beast through vaccines. Not something a good guy would do, if you ask me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
why do people seem to want to love celebrities. Gates isn’t even wacky I don’t get the appeal

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

why do people seem to want to love celebrities. Gates isn’t even wacky I don’t get the appeal

It's part aspirational (people want to be that rich and famous), part marketing (he puts his face out there often enough that people develop a familiarity with him), and part positive media coverage (trusted institutions think he's a swell guy and I do too!).

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

if they were good people they wouldn't own a business. it's really that simple. you have to he an exploitative scumbag at your heart to be the boss of a workplace, and especially to succeed at that even if its largely thanks to daddy's money and connections. lot of internalized liberalism here, as made clear by even entertaining the thought that private property isn't inherently immoral, and that there is a 'proper' way to exercise it

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Biplane posted:

Literal Nazi Furry was banned for being a nazi a while back.

late, but i was banned for being a furry, not a nazi. sorry.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star
And everybody's in movies, it doesn't matter who you are
There are starts in every city
In every house and on every street
And if you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Their names are written in concrete

Don't step on Greta Garbo as you walk down the Boulevard
She looks so weak and fragile that's why she tried to be so hard
But they turned her into a princess
And they sat her on a throne
But she turned her back on stardom
Because she wanted to be alone

You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of
People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame
Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain

Rudolph Valentino looks very much alive
And he looks up ladies dresses as they sadly pass him by
Avoid stepping on Bela Lugosi
'Cause he's liable to turn and bite
But stand close by Bette Davis
Because hers was such a lonely life

If you covered him with garbage
George Sanders would still have style
And if you stamped on Mickey Rooney
He would still turn round and smile
But please don't tread on dearest Marilyn
Cause she's not very tough
She should have been made of iron or steel
But she was only made of flesh and blood

Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star
And everybody's in show biz, it doesn't matter who you are
And those who are successful
Be always on your guard
Success walks hand in hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard

I wish my life was non-stop Hollywood movie show
A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die
You can see all the stars as you walk along...

La la la la....

Oh, celluloid heroes never feel any pain
Oh, celluloid heroes never really die
I wish my life was non-stop Hollywood movie show
A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

My bad.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You want that latte woke or not woke

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He jumped over a chair that one time

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

glad to see that you are back

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TomValletti/status/1351584032862179331

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1351716263823867904

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm going to increase access to crying, traumatized doctors working with no equipment in a parking lot in the middle of winter. The Oldest Man for president.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-heights-hospital-houston-doctors-parking-lot-unpaid-rent/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My old hospital closed this time last year because the would-be buyer reneged at the last minute because they lied about how much money they actually had and were trying to tank us so they could get a better price.

It was used for COVID surge briefly, and then in the summer got converted to a film set, which it still is even though second wave is very loving here :allears: The most efficient way to allocate resources here people. Also the surge hospital got at least one of the people I used to work with killed and I hear only treated a couple dozen patients. It would be wild if that place killed more people than it saved in the long run.

The billionaire doctor owner is of course, unphased and unrepentant.