Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'll defer to Black August on sharing stuff - this was going back quite a while so not sure I even have the links anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm afraid I don't have anything online to share at the moment. I prefer to keep private. And yes, this game includes material and ideas from other paranormal/horror settings, including SCP.

Update comin' down the pipe in a bit.

EDIT: need a little more time, not in good shape

Black August fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 21, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah. Kwiat should be with you. It's too risky to leave her in the elevator, feathers fractal with everblossom- what if the entire floor gives way? With certainty animate, you sweep her up to carry her in the bag across your chest, and holster your weapons, walking out into the rubble with eyes three wide. You're too far gone and you know it, but the Silver Mind was strong enough to gift your loose bones silver splints. Unreality peaks as your gravity nears the halo's bright; every small change of perspective brings a washing waterwall of color distortion and trailing light. The wind... you've heard it sound like this before, but can't recall where.

You try your best to stay focused, but there are so many thoughts flickering through your opened mind. You have to... you have to save someone, right? That's why you're all the way up here. It was

Once Upon A Time posted:

You're racing up the stairs, pulling Aitvaras by his hand as he holds a clucking Lasers under his arm. You're both exhausted, drenched in sweat, lungs tight with fire. 75 floors of ascension and you know every second counts. You can't. You can't let them kill this- not a thing, an entity. Something that thinks and feels and fears. You hate it that you heard it but it was ringing now, a dozen electric bells; suffering suffering suffering.

your mind
My Mind
can feel something (like tourmaline?) sloshing around with every heavy step you take, there's the stairwell across the shattered floor and you need only climb it to ascend, and then you will be

In Another End posted:

You don't have the psychic power to fight the entity. You didn't need it or want it, though. You had just enough, the smallest silver seed, to communicate across the wavelengths that the Psychic revealed to you in your training with him. He was at Home, doing all he could to transmit across the valley distance.

You set foot on the stairs, muscles growing jellywarm with the spore, nearly sending you crashing with 75 falls. But then you remember, whaddya know, to glide the slide, like Jandou Joe. Four limbs soft down onto the old concrete steps and pull you upwards to the roof access, the air thickened with the true of ethereal blue. You sit down in front of the door and press a hand to it and knock knock, may I come in, this is

Not A Lost End posted:

One minute. One. Alyssa meant well. The Plutos meant well. The Town Guard meant well. But they had that intent, that murderous murderous murderous intent, stained red light... so soft, contrasted against your killing midnight.

The bells wouldn't stop. They'd find the entity, and it would know why they were there the moment they touched that halo ethereal blue. It would react to defend itself, and it would be killed. It would be End.

No response. You know why. The mushrooms were unable to lie. Because you can hear bells. Softening softening bells. Little and bright, made of pyrite.

How do you stop them from ringing?

Exhale, once. Just like he's teaching you. Breathing was the key, the first foundational step. Hold onto Kwiat, and draw in air, the world meltswirl to watery patterns. Exhale, slow, and watch the watery patterns flow. Think think think, a tiny thought daring to send a signal flare out into the dark forest.

(The Silver Mind - ???) 15 - [1]+[5]+[4] = 10 - Success.

You think,
'Hello.'
You think,
'I'm scared too.'
You think,
'I don't like fighting.'
You think,
'I don't like dying.'
You think,
'I won't try to win.'
You think,
'This is not an attack,'

But A Holy End posted:

Aitvaras was collapsed in the doorway, out cold. Lasers was perched over him, wings spread protectively. Your mind is reeling, heart slowing to a crawl before it speeds up to an attack and then back down again. Your legs give, but your arms can still crawl you towards the entity. You see it now. The astral of its sleek starmetal body.

The thinnest black glass slit, set into a featureless dome head.

quote:

One of its arms a liquid metal tendril.

The other of its arms a slimy mass of proto-black, covered with glowing blue nodules like eyes.

quote:

The etherboard shining bright through its chest.

Emitting a voice that is an intention, a series of images, a mass of wounded emotion, a mechanical whirr and psychic blur.

quote:

['You MUST NOT underestimate me.']

Your hands are up. Kwiat resting in your bag. Your face bloodstained slack.

The roof is mostly gone. Blown away by time and storm and thunder. Shattered glass and burned rubble. That black glass slit is now bright with a terrible blue, and it's streaking towards you, with intent. That murderous murderous murderous intent.

(The Starmetal System - PK Beam γ) 20 - [2]+[4]+[4] = 10 - Success.

Your silvered mirror gently catches the slaying light as it's thought your way, turning the sky as bright as day. You cast it off- you could have sent it back for an easy kill. You're not sure why you didn't, but you're trusting the fungus. You're inoculated from your survival instinct. You're lucid waking.

['NO! ...?]

It- they. They ducked. Silvery tendril wrapped over head, the dripping black mass held up as a shield. It would have been much too slow to stop the refraction of lightspeed. But that action, that reaction, that terror-

quote:

['What are you doing?! I'll kill you.']

Yeah. You could.

Yeah. You know.

['Then GO. I'm not giving up my body. I'm not going die.']

quote:

No. You're not going to die. You don't want that. You think you can talk Alyssa down. You know she's insane, that she wants a body bad enough that she'll gladly end you. She didn't count on the etherboard. She didn't count on it collecting thoughts and dreams and emotions and intents. She didn't count on it coalescing into a mind. She didn't mean to birth you.

No. You're not going to die. You don't want that. You don't know if you can talk Alyssa down. You don't think she knows that you're alive, thinking, feeling. She doesn't realize what you are. But maybe there's a way to resolve this. Please. Let me think.

quote:

Please. Let me show you something that proves it. Something my Mom helped me realize I can mean without lying.

They don't answer you. You're surrounded by their halo of psychic power, every thought probed and read with cautious distance, aware that any attack might be reflected. It skirts across the waters over your brain, seeing itself in the infinite silver, as it waits to see what you-

quote:

['...is that...']

['...what IS that? That's not fungus, or meat like yours.']

Kwiat clucks as her mind is poked.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I am incredibly lost as to what's going on.
Not the surface stuff, of course we are on a roof having a psychic...pow-wow with the starmetal creation, attempting to say that we are not hostile, but rather what the hell is going on underneath.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
We actually died from the laser blast earlier, and this is just our mushroom brain pumping out weird chemicals as we expire.
A more serious reply would be that it seems the world we're currently in is an... echo of some previous/parallel reality. The quoted paragraphs seem to show that similar events to now played (are playing?) out there as well, as many of the entities here existed there as well.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 22, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that, or we're getting "bleed-through" from what's going on in the Holy End "game" at this moment. With the difference being that we're winning, or at least not losing, while things have gone pear-shaped in Holy End. The other side also sounds like they have at least two people going to confront the Starmetal being, while we're alone and not acting hostile.

Also, I just realized that you can actually read the text above the question about the bells. What does it mean by "The mushrooms were never meant to be here"? Is it because they're a Fey creation, while the fungus is... I dunno, "real"?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 22, 2021

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Pretty much. I'm unsure whether Holy End is actually part of the world/setting itself, or something 'meta' that's part of the game framing device.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think of the interspersed sections as being from our character's previous life. A sort of reincarnation thing going on. There is definitely room for interpretation.

Alien: Isolation had a thing where there were two different AIs for the monster. One restricted to the limited viewpoint and senses of the character. And another who saw and knew everything, and would periodically leak clues to limited AI. This game could have an entire parallel simulation that is leaking clues to us. Or two realities, with one dedicated to leaking misdirections.

I think we can rule out the Dwarf Fortress adventure mode scenario. Where the character has their own history and personality. But has totally lost control over their body to the player, save for their ability to cry.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Razakai posted:

Pretty much. I'm unsure whether Holy End is actually part of the world/setting itself, or something 'meta' that's part of the game framing device.

I think the answer is "neither" or possibly "both" but I can't tell which. The Holy End stuff definitely seems to intersect in a strange way with the narrative-as-software layer of the story because it is experienced by the game player as game glitches and NOT as the text we are reading in the LP, such as here:

Black August posted:

[...Nyx had somehow been resolved instantly, with a pink text box that came up and immediately closed before it could be read, and the sound of a bell...]

I have a bunch of half baked theories but the more I think about them the more confused I get.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
If I was guessing wildly, I'd guess that Holy End is part of the software/game itself somehow, another set of files and code beneath (a seperate game entirely also included?) that occasionally gets referenced by error thanks to the myriad bugs of the game. Which in turn is part of the actual story/setting in some way, perhaps what everything was before the 'fall' we've heard referenced.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Actually, just thinking about it, I'm genuinely curious as to what's different in the Heaven End of this scenario, because what it described is... exactly what we saw. Unless we "backdoor"ed into Heaven End again.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

When a bell will not stop ringing,
You must hold it.
Even if you might give it a single crack.

His Smile Infuriates You posted:

But you sit by the lake and listen, patient. He rejected both answers, though he acknowledges that to hold the bell was down the right path. 'Stop the ringing of that distant bell'. How? You make the 「SI҉ GN」

But you don't mean it. Because you don't understand yet how to stop the ringing. Now that he's taught you how to hear it, it's everywhere. All the time. In so many verses and tonals. But you are determined to force your heart open to this teaching. You want to endure it. He was the Improbability. The Empty Space.

He could teach you how to finally give up midnight for

you lean down at the apex of the mushroom mountain brain blossom. Following the serenity of confidence in a feeling like faith in every action anticipated, the blessing silver of your mind clear and the psychedelic synchronicity of a biologically psilo-psychic dosage to perfect the union.

You open your bag, and allow Kwiat to get some fresh air. Poor little cooped up bird. Sweet little lovely bird. She needs to stretch her wings. She does so, once, and gives out a loud caw that silences the System's thoughts with a single frame of perfect-colored total surprise.

She spreads her wings, and walks forward into the air.
Oh, lovely. Look at that. Her wings are fractal out.
There she is-
Chicken!
2 chickens.
2^2 chickens.
2^2^2 chickens.
2^2^2^2 chickens.
2^2^2^2^2 chickens.

Among them,
There is one red feather.

You smile at the Starmetal System. The sky pearl-white. The mushrooms are in full control now, the human ego dissolved and animate by the Silver Mind in its stead, fungus and psychic in harmony born twice improbable, from soda to save of a Camp Champ's life. Not only did the once-parasitic mushrooms now think they are a natural part of you, they now have faith they ARE you, symbiotic soon approaching true fusion.

There, there, gently taking you down into loss. That scholar's voice, in the warm silver tent, speaking with assurance of your terrors.

The Silver Mind posted:

Like when I guided you against the Iron Saint, I now let you move lucid with the potency of my mutation. You-Mushroom will speak in rainbow, and I will capture that infinite reflection for you to see when you resurface from dissolution. Have faith in the Silver Mind. Let your intent be nothing.

You smile to yourself. You do that stupid pose he likes to do, that little psychic trick to make the silver extra sharp. Half of the psionic war was all attitude and feeling. How willing you are to explore the limits of what your mutation reveals the living idea of. It's so easy to move like a prism. To think in all the Shades of Silver. To spot that single red feather among the endless pearl white. There is no you, and you share that with the Starmetal System. Trust of that intentless intent. Hearing the bell.

It matches perfectly with the moment that they find themselves caught in shock of Kwiat's multiplicity. Their internal screen flashes tourmaline. They see what you see what you see is behind me there in that feather red.

Look! To Heaven!

The Starmetal System Sees You Make posted:

The 「SI҉ GN」.

「҉ 」 [-]+[-]+[-] = Success.

You mean it.

You convince them with that single motion and every shade of that Heavenly colour that was present inside of it. You will not. Ever. Even after this moment ends. You will not. Not CANNOT. But will not.

They can't pretend. There was no, 'that's mind control' there was no 'this is an illusion' there was no 'reality has been altered' there was no 'this is a divine compulsion' there was no 'I can lie to myself about this' there was no room for that there was no error for that there was no excuse for that, it did not happen when they see the 「SI҉ GN」.

The Starmetal System understands. Thank you. Thank you. Through your absence of ego, through the 100% clarity of the 「The Silver Mind」, through the rainbow improbable, through the open heart road, through the 「҉ 」

There was Another End. A way to mend. A Heavensend.

A begin again.

▴▴▴

you're not there and you can't stop crying
they're going away

you're holding on and begging no, what you've lost God only knows
it hurts

to be here again,

inside the Dark End.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[STATUS]
[Mushroom Overdose!] [-10 FP]
[Unconscious]
[The Silver Mind is temporarily sealed]

[ HP: 20 / 20 ]
[ FP: 0 / 14 ]

What was left behind, when they departed?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It would seem I did see light in the characters eyes earlier.
Despite everything, there is still the hope of something better; that things can get better.
Something, if their silence is any indicator, Tyranny is also thinking on.

...Is it too soon since we lasted hugged our chicken?
I think they've earned another one.

E: Ah, that's some timing. :v:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Did we rapture the machine straight out of our reality into the Holy End?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

reckon pyschic or starmetal, though any of them sound good

also seconding extra hugs for kwiat, the best fractal chicken ever

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
they all sound useful, but we have a mad scientist whose brain needs to be freed from a jar

a starmetal genuis and some crazy mushrooms from pluto sound to me like an entourage

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The blue etherboard is fried. The invaluable protomatter musculature timeburnt to mist. But remaining, untouched-

The Starmetal Body - 15
The Protomatter Musculature - 2
The Psychic Etherboard - 12

The Starmetal System's robotic frame, now tinged a strange shade of rose-gold from its old starry silver.

...LOADING

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oh gently caress it's loving nexus hounds

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Hopefully this will fix the Hideout OOB issue. The fight with the Starmetal System didn't go smoothly, but it didn't end with a crash. A few rounds in, that weird tone that had played when fighting Jandou Joe happened again, and the fight resolved automatically. Thankfully, it went to the afterboss random drop, which was a palette-glitched but in-inventory Starmetal Frame. That was good, it was the second-best drop of the three. Now the final problem came- trying to convince the game it was no longer in the Bloody Megalith like the location data insisted, by completing Alyssa's quest with the turned-in piece. When it was done and the reward given, next would come Alyssa's awful revelation and violent turn. No onerunner had yet to figure out exactly what was necessary to bypass it.]

[Along with the erroneous location data, there were other problems- the game gave the bonus XP for having Kwiat along, even though she wasn't there. She had been left safe in the cage back at the Hideout. The music was also messed up.]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Black August posted:

[Hopefully this will fix the Hideout OOB issue. The fight with the Starmetal System didn't go smoothly, but it didn't end with a crash. A few rounds in, that weird tone that had played when fighting Jandou Joe happened again, and the fight resolved automatically. Thankfully, it went to the afterboss random drop, which was a palette-glitched but in-inventory Starmetal Frame. That was good, it was the second-best drop of the three. Now the final problem came- trying to convince the game it was no longer in the Bloody Megalith like the location data insisted, by completing Alyssa's quest with the turned-in piece. When it was done and the reward given, next would come Alyssa's awful revelation and violent turn. No onerunner had yet to figure out exactly what was necessary to bypass it.]

Wait, what? Hopefully our fully armed and operational Nyx will be able to help us out here.

quote:

[Along with the erroneous location data, there were other problems- the game gave the bonus XP for having Kwiat along, even though she wasn't there. She had been left safe in the cage back at the Hideout. The music was also messed up.]

Wait. What? Is the OP playing a different game than we're reading? I did a quick skim, but it looked like we did have Kwiat with us all along. I didn't see anything about putting her back into the cage after taking her out of the cage and finding the egg.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Randalor posted:

Wait. What? Is the OP playing a different game than we're reading? I did a quick skim, but it looked like we did have Kwiat with us all along. I didn't see anything about putting her back into the cage after taking her out of the cage and finding the egg.

I'm assuming the narrative we're experiencing directly from the main second-person narrator (the Tyrant Child)'s perspective is different from the game state experienced by the bracketed second-person narrator (the Onerun Player). From the perspective of the Onerun Player, the game glitched such that it considered Kwiat to be simultaneously with the PC and safe in the Hideout; this meant that, to the Tyrant Child, Kwiat was present with them but... maybe not actually vulnerable to harm during this quest? Or it's a weird metaphysical thing in the Tyrant Child universe?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

idiot

Ouuuggvfffgn. Ouh. You're up. You're awake.

(+6 FP)
[ FP: 6 / 14 ]

It- it's so dark. Dark-dense cloudy sky. The faintest gloam from far fungal lights below. Oh, you feel so unwell. Confused and cold and sad. Ah... what's happening? Why do you feel so-

(Disq̨u̡iet) 9 - [3]+[2]+[5] = 10 - Failure [By One].

Ah... stop that. Stop. What is this horrible feeling?

ANXIETY: [10%] [I Feel Cold And Sick]

You slump up and wipe your sore eyes. What happened? You think, slowly. You...

(IQ) 10 - [2]+[2]+[2] = 6 - Success!

Yeah, yeah. You passed out during the starry storm. You woke up... here? Kwiat was safe in her cage, thank goodness. But where are you? You have to get out of here. No wait of course. You have no idea where this is but it's obvious you're welcome here. You have to bring this lovely rosey-gold metal suit downstairs so she can wear it.

Isn't that right?

͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ ͟ posted:

yes that's right

Isn't that right?

yes that's right

Isn't that right?

yes that's right

Isn't that right?

yes that's right

Isn't that right?

yes that's right

Isn't that right?

yes that's right

Ok! Let's go!

You vomit.

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%] [I Feel Hot And Gross]

Ok! Let's go!
Oh no.

Oh no.

please don't be mad

You vomit.

Ok! Let's go!

You stumble to the roof access, dragging the metal body. The second you touch the door your stomach drops. Oh no.

You vomit.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [I Feel Numb And Watery]

You vomit.
You vomit.
You vomit.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] [I Feel Sore And Sad]

Maybe it's best. Best to hide up here. Hide. Stay. Up here hidden stay. Hide. Hide.

No! No. You have to go. It's bad to stay this high up for too long a time in such darkness. It's too risky! But the door... if you touch the door, you'll have to go inside and see what's wrong.

You have to. Ouhhhhghh, you're spitting bile but you have to, you have to, you'll be up here for too long and it'll HAPPEN you have to be inside. But inside is worse. But you have to. You have to drag the body and yank open the door and vomit, and go inside the yellow yellow yellow square of light.

Ok! Let's go!

The door is shut and you sink against it shivering, neck and chest chilly with fresh puke, the body limp next to you. Oh, oh no. Oh no.

Oh it's wrong. It's gone worse. It's all too close to the Back. The humidity is so strong it's forming pustules of moisture on the rotten walls. It's cloying-hot. Your nose smells biochemical illness. You have to bring the body to her like you

promised
you have to leave here before it gets too late.

You have to use the stairwells. No choice but to use the stairwells. But that's the problem that's the worry, the stairs are all back now but so many of them aren't MEANT to be back and they're so angry about it, they're so mad and if they think it's your fault they'll do something terrible and you'll scream too loud and everything waiting to hurt you will hear and KNOW.

But you have to use the stairs! The elevator already hates you. It'll move through evil spaces and try to kill you in them. No no no you have to risk the stairs. You can't cry or they'll hear you. You can't crash the heavy metal body or they'll look at you. Please God. Please God. Please please please God. You have to make it back to Kwiat.

You sit at the top of the stairs, hiding behind the rosen-gold metal body, biting your hand as you hold down your vomit.

(HT) 14 - [3]+[6]+[4] = 13 - Success...

OOuuuuhggggghhh. A thin stream gouts into your hand (BUT SILENTLY!!) and down all over your drenched dress shirt (BUT QUIETLY!!). Tears stain your dirty cheeks, and you draw in air and try to focus past the rainbow gloss clogging your psychically-silenced brain.

You pick the body up, and prepare to descend.

(ST - Stealth Heavy-Carry)(-6) 14 - [2]+[6]+[4] = 12 - Success.

Slooowllyyy... so slow shhh shh sh. Shhhhh. Slow. Don't let a SINGLE PIECE OF METAL touch the yellow yellow walls. Paint so think it could smear off like bright frosting. Don't. One step at a time. Sweat and vomit reeking up the claustrophobic molding stairs, down through the batter-thick airs, stone where none should be and angry angry angry angry.

(-3 FP)
[ FP: 3 / 14 ] [Exhausted!]
ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [I Did Something BAD]

You collapse on a landing, clutching the unfeeling rosen metal. Oh you're fighting so hard to not breathe too loud. Not to hiccup too much. Not to sweat too profusely. You just have to go through the door in front of you, and you'd be on her level. You could find her and give her the body.

But something is LISTENING on the other side of the door. Something is waiting. It followed you through the space that wasn't meant to be, and it is very very angry with you. It is going to do something horrible to you. But you have to get through. If you're going to escape this place alive, you HAVE to go through.

But what's waiting for you?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think we should go with option 1 or 3. We want the chance to face a gravedigger from the bloody megalith according to the Blue Book, and option 2 is obviously from Hunter’s Blackwing cult.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The sweat burns hot down your back and arms. Your psionic senses return dim gray. Your head hurts and your stomach is endless with fresh-churn bile. No going back- they're outside now, too aware you had been there just a moment before. No staying in the stairwell- it'd grow angry until it discovered how to digest you. There is only opening the yellow door and making something hatefully aware of you. Have to make it to her.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [Something Horrible Is Going To Happen]

The door opens.

It hates you in here.

(DX - Stealth Walk) 11 - [1]+[3]+[6] = 10 - Barely Made It.
(ST - Stealth Heavy-Carry)(-6) 14 - [3]+[6]+[1] = 10 - Success.

It's too late to avoid it, but you can stay out of notice. You step on the mushy soft carpet, the sick-soaked fabric. Your shoe squishes, and it makes you want to vomit. The body slides easily over the snotty slimy slick carpet. You have to not make a sound, or it will turn around and see you. You deci

LOG posted:

You're hidden.
Don't look.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

͏ ́ ́ ͟ ͜ ͟ ́ ̢ ̛ searches.

Don't look.
You try to run away!

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

You try to run away!

You got away...

Don't. Don't move.

Don't. It's too nearby. It's inside of so many rooms right now. Just hold the body don't let it touch ANYthing or it'll make the most tiny noise and it'll know. Don't. Just wait. Don't puke because of the silky black mold worming into your lungs.

(HT - Don't. Please.) 14 - [1]+[6]+[5] = 12 - Thank God...

Oh, it's spotting your mighty lungs. It's trying to suffocate you and steal your singing voice. But you hold it down, you refuse to vomit or cry out- your hostile hateful biology will consume it soon enough. Don't react. Don't make a sound.

You slowly, slowly, in the bare bright yellow light, walk to the corner of the door and look out into the hall.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

(DX - Stealth Walk) 11 - [1]+[3]+[1] = 5 - SSSSSSSSHHHHHhhhhhhh.......
(ST - Stealth Heavy-Carry)(-6) 14 - [5]+[1]+[4] = 10 - Success.

You make it. The tiny side room gives you a single minute of sanity from the ultrahostile shades of the moldy office. Warm wet rotten dust sloughs off pulpy wood counters.

'AZA AZA AZA'

Full volume. Right behind you. Don't scream.

(WL - Do Not Scream.) 19 - [1]+[1]+[5] = 7 - Success.

Instinct. You move behind a desk, and position the body to act as more cover. It doesn't care about the body. Just you. As you move, you realize there is nothing here. A vox spoke, but there is nothing here. Just hatred. But the sound was still a sound and it would hear it. More of them speak, phantom. Some from inside the walls, some from down the halls.

'PROTO. MATTER.'
'PROTO. MATTER.'
'SCOOP SCOOP YES SCOOP SCOOP'
'FLESH INTERFACE'
'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'
'BAD BAD LITTLE GRAVITY'
'PROTO. MATTER. SCOOP SCOOP.'

It heard. Here it comes. Duck under the desk, stay still. Perfectly still.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

You nearly pass out from holding your breath. But you're unseen. Thank God. Thank God. It's almost over, and then you can puke. Almost done. Just one more series of bends and turns, closer to the phantom words, drag the body and prove to her you're a living promise. Right? Then you can puke.

You escape the little side room and drag the suit again. One more time.

(DX - Please Don't Find Me) 11 - [6]+[1]+[3] = 10 - Just Barely Barely.
(ST - I'm So Tired)(-6) 14 - [4]+[4]+[3] = 11 - Just Barely Barely.

(HT - Then I Can Puke) 14 - [1]+[3]+[5] = 9 - Just Barely Barely.

Just barely barely. Near pass-out. Mold and fungus already starting to blossom-patch your sweat-rotting skin. Drag the rosegold body over the shoe-corroding carpets. Silent, swift, sore. Down the round and there it was the end of the hall and an office door.

LOCKED.

oh nononononono no no no don't be locked it's going to pass by soon and know you have such perfect luck and time NO please open open what do you do what do I do???!

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

i am officially unsettled, good job.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

We should pick the lock. We have decent DX, which should mean a reasonable chance of success, and it's the only option that might keep us undetected. Breaking down, shooting, or forcing the door is very risky - if I were Alyssa in this situation, I would have my weapons trained on the door waiting for movement. So in the worst case, not only the [*$!!] will be on us immediately, but Alyssa won't realise we're friendly and her bodyguard will attack - we'll be caught from both sides. Knocking might make Alyssa open the door and bring us in before the [£*$"] arrives. But then the Blue Book says she's likely to turn hostile, so who knows? Picking the lock sounds risky, but really I think it's the safest option.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Our bodily fluids are already all over the place, no need to fear leaving some blood behind. Use Darkness on those darn tumblers.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I feel like Darkness is going to go badly, like the glitch monster can detect magic or something. But I'm sure it's just a scary palette and actually quite non threatening right?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You don't mean it. But you're so confused and scared. The Silver Mind is gone and it took something with it and you're about to be found. You know you can bring up the Dark and open the door but you're frightened. You're falling.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

All you have to do is press one hand to the locked door.
With the other hand,

(Tyrant Manifest)(-5) 14 - [2]+[5]+[6] = 10 - Success.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

(!Midnight) 15 - [5]+[6]+[4] = 15 - Exact Success.

I make a fist.

One quick twist of the wrist; nearly lost the motion from how tired my arms are. But I make it. Blood burns, waking me up further into the yellow nightmare, and the door's lock pops open of its own volition. One last push to make it safe.

(DX - Silently) 11 - [3]+[4]+[2] = 9 - Success.
(ST - Carefully)(-6) 14 - [4]+[6]+[1] = 11 - Success.

I did it. It's done in one effortless motion; the door opened, body taken in, closed and then locked, before I sink down to wait. I force the burn of my blood to give me back strength.

[ HP: 10 / 20 ]
[ FP: 10 / 14 ]

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

It FELT my gravity just now. It knows. I can feel it raging closer with full attention and hate. I just have to be still.

(WL) 19 - [3]+[1]+[2] = 6 - Great Success!!

Eyes closed. Heart slowed. Muscles relaxed and unable to twitch. Bones frozen, no creaking to give them away. Most importantly, no breathing. Nothing exhaled, inhaled. Just like a shadow.

It passes. It'd follow the gravity orbit and come back around. Just enough time to stand up, and look into the office.

ALYSSA is here.
NYX is here.
CHARON is here.
WASH is here.
THE EMPEROR OF HEAVEN is here.
THE EMPEROR OF HELL is here.
THE HOLIEST KNIGHT is here.
AITVARAS is here.
LASERS is here.

Quest Log posted:

You return the 'STARMETAL FRAME' to Alyssa.

['Oh! That's wonderful news! I'm happy it didn't hurt you.']
['With this, I'll finally have a durable and mobile body!']
['It's a shame the protomatter musculature collapsed... I'll have to use fungus instead.']
['Too bad about the etherboard. I'll just have to keep trying to develop psionics on my own.']
['You did us a great service. Please. There's not much we can do, but we owe you debt.']

You are now ALLIED with the PLUTOS.
PLUTO TOWER is now a SAFEHOUSE.

What reward does she give me?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Excuse me WHO is here?

Did someone actually let that sink in?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Presumably the list of people present is more Heaven bleed, at least Aitvaras/Lasers. Not sure about the emperor/knight though, presumably another bleed?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My head hurts.

Also, who the hell is voting for Mushroom Food?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I have the feeling that the webbing was mentioned before, or maybe that was something else. But seems like it might be a way to craft some better clothes?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I hope so, our starting suit must be utterly revolting by this point.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, we're still sitting on some silk, aren't we? Maybe one of these people know how to sew?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's an easy choice. While the gold could be valuable, and the food potentially a path to power, what I really need is better armor. My suit. I could have my suit lined with what Alyssa shows me. She tells me that it's made from a w◯nderf◯◯◯◯ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷

it's true! It IS warm. How perfect that it can slither into the fibers and reinforce them. What an eerie fungal smell. I can allow myself to be grateful to her and the [ROTTEN FUNGUS LEFT BEHIND]. She's so sad about losing Charon and Nyx, but I don't have any feelings on the matter. The biowebbing is fully installed. I pet Nyx on the shell, and she gives me a 'Crush!' with raised claws and a brilliant sapphire-colored head.

to the door. So that's why they're so befuddled. With the genetic installation, the Plutos could only achieve the logic-leap capabilities of a human child. Alyssa tells me I could tell when it was happening if they started to gleam rainbow. Nyx could do the logical leaps of a fully intelligent human, but her Plutonic neural networks had been irreparably◱

Don't move.
Don't look.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

['Please understand.']
'SCOOP SCOOP'
['It's my life's study, and the secret to how I'll create a fully new living body.']
'AZA AZA AZA'
['It's holiest flesh.']

I'm going to kill her. One bullet one brain; say the word, Bang Bang.
Back to the door. It was patient outside. It didn't know I was here but the gravity pulled it near.
I can't kill her. Not in front of the others. Not with Charon, Nyx, and Wash seeing her murdered.
But if I don't leave now she'll find a reason to scoop me, then Wash will have never be, then what will my third eye see?

I have to leave. So Alyssa never has the chance to hear how much hate the yellow walls are full of. I have to chance. Open the door, don't look, close it and then wait wait wait then turn and walk down the hall and

(DX - Steathily) 11 - [1]+[6]+[5] = 12 - Failure [By One].

I trip.

LOG posted:

It heard.
Don't look.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

͏ ́ ́ ͟ ͜ ͟ ́ ̢ ̛ discovers.

- [1]+[3]+[4] = ⣿⣦⣀.

See?
-77%!

[ HP: -72 / 20 ] [DEATH'S DOOR!!!]
[ FP: 42 / ▓14 ]

(HT) 14 - [2]+[1]+[2] = 5 - Success!!
(HT) 14 - [3]+[6]+[2] = 11 - Success!
(HT) 14 - [5]+[4]+[5] = 14 - Success.

(WL) 19 - [5]+[5]+[2] = 12 - Success.

flesh shakes and sputters
dying awake

- [6]+[1]+[6] = ⣿⣦

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

You're hidden.
You try to run away!

You barely got away...

̵W̷W͏W͠h̷hT ͞ḑddj͟jidijd d͘o͘t͢oM̨Eeȩe͘e̶?? !

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

ÍI̷S͡SSH̛HHH̢H͘H̢hh͢h̨

(WL - Focus.) 19 - [1]+[1]+[3] = 5 - Great Success.

f̕f͠f̶c̨csssff̷foo̡occ̷c̨csśs̵ssffoo͜o ͟fooo̕cus̡s͘s.̀ Fo͢cus. Chhhsssss. Passed. Passed through saw me. S͏ww͡w҉w̸w͘W̧H̷H̕NN̡NNo. No. No vomiting. No nnnh. No. Walk. Walk.

will alone. will alone. only way to win. will alone.

elevator elevator only chance what was the special nummbbbb numb numb special numbers remember come on COME ON I HAVE TO I HAVE TO

(IQ - Remember What The Silent Silver Mind Knew) 10 - [3]+[2]+[5] = 10 - Exact Success

bloody finger mash the button mash mash what was it mash MASH IT YES MASH DOWN DOWN 16 2 16 8 CLOSE 8 16 CLOSE CLOSE DOWN DOWN UP 16 2

close close closecloseclose clllooossseeee

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

CCLSSSSSEEE̡E͡EE͡ÈEE̷ PLLEEAASSSE

*DING*

collapsed alone
in a safe dry metal womb

*DING*

oh
oh here again here again here again
the bathroom godsend

get in
don't look in the mirror too low down anyways but don't look it'll show something much worse

I can do it
crawl into the stall
press against the wall

it's ok I'll end the day I'm safe this way so now I'll pray

Quest Log posted:

You Must NOT Underestimate Me!
'Help out Alyssa and the Plutos to recover one of their own, and return her experimental starmetal body.'

During this Quest...

* You
* You encountered Alyssa, Charon, and the Plutos.
* You agreed to bring back Nyx, the Pluto Tank.
* You
* You
* You avoided corruption.
* You brought Kwiat, and she survived! Her eggs have improved.
* You looked into the mirror.
* You ░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

* You gained a new Safehouse.
* You defeated the Starmetal System, and recovered its robotic frame for Alyssa.
* You mollified Nyx, and returned her to her family.
* Alyssa and the Plutos are Allied to you.
* Your suit was upgraded with Yuggoth Biowebbing!

All Considered - You're Clinging To Life!!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER SUGGESTION - Sleep. Sleep. I get to sleep. Thank God, thank God Almighty, I finally get to sleep.

Two days. Two whole days. No rest. Just the chemical madhouse of a magic biology strung with silver splints. With sleep comes a dream.

Someone is there.

(The vote ends with the morning.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Well, that's ONE way to get around the issue of Alyssa's kill trigger, even if it didn't seem legitimate. The inside of Pluto Tower had gone all wrong, with a corrupted palette and enemy encounters, which meant the map thought it was in a hostile zone. There were no spawns for these maps, so God knows what it was pulling the data from.]

[It had made resolving Alyssa possible - usually, once her quest was finished, walking to the door to leave would trigger her asking about the scar, the response to which never led to anything but an immediate attempt to kill the character. But this time, the second the @ landed on the trigger square an encounter happened, bypassing the cutscene. Escaping it nearly ended the onerun with three death checks, but once the fight was over there was no issue leaving without the kill trigger being tripped. There had been evidence of data for later encounters with Alyssa and the Plutos- would this be enough to make those happen? That'd have to be figured out. FP had been glitched same as HP, and despite being way over capacity, every step taken was spamming the 'You're about to collapse!' message for sleep exhaustion. Holing up in the bathroom should be fine... it'd look at the Safehouse status to determine a fight, and at 'Safe' level, there was no chance of one happening during sleep.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

So, uh. That's probably the first Kwiat looking for us, huh.