Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gotta say I don't understand this strip, I guess it because I don't know the british school system and the words make no sene to me.

Basically, at the end of the Wen-Tack storyline which takes place after the end of Bad Machinery, Mildred successfully got a road built between Tackleford and the neighbouring town of Wendlefield. This screwed up the catchment areas of Tackleford. Sixth Form is basically the last two years of schooling before University, which can either be as part of a regular secondary school or at dedicated colleges - so if your school doesn't have a sixth form, you would either go to one that does or to a college. Griswalds (the school all of the mystery teens went to) had its own Sixth Form as part of the school, but due to the aforementioned shift of catchment areas (and Britain being a hellscape of Tory-led austerity, both in-universe and IRL), it got closed due to no longer being the only accessible 6th form in the area, so the mystery teens presumably all wound up going their separate ways for 6th form.

The problem is that Allison decided Wen-Tack, while apparently canon, wasn't really good enough to merit being posted online (which seems a bit harsh), so it can't be found easily. Some bold goon posted Wen-Tack last thread, but Allison posted a link to a pdf if anyone wants to see it again.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

(Innvandrer is norwegian for immigrant)
A semi-autobiographically strip by Janine El Khawand, it's about an artist immigrating to Norway from Libanon after falling in love with a norwegian.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

(Innvandrer is norwegian for immigrant)
A semi-autobiographically strip by Janine El Khawand, it's about an artist immigrating to Norway from Libanon after falling in love with a norwegian.

There's something about how the lettering is on the traumas that just made it impossible for me to parse them, 'What's a Trauma? A place? A thing?'
First when I looked it up I realized that it was in fact a word, once it was spelled out normally. (And luckily one that's 1:1 english norwegian.)

Moominposting

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Definitely misread wimp as simp and had to do a double take

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yvonmukluk posted:

The problem is that Allison decided Wen-Tack, while apparently canon, wasn't really good enough to merit being posted online (which seems a bit harsh), so it can't be found easily. Some bold goon posted Wen-Tack last thread, but Allison posted a link to a pdf if anyone wants to see it again.

Allison is harsh on it, but it really does fall apart by the end.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mikl posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make light of it. I don't work in the field, but I'd heard about how big it was; I just wanted to summarise things briefly.

Bruceski posted:

Fair enough. I just happened to get in an argument about it last night so that was mainly me decompressing. If I hadn't already been primed to read it as dismissive I don't think I would have.
Y2K is always listed in "things everyone went crazy about but nothing happened so why worry about X now" and it drives me nuts because nothing happened because people took action--tremendous action. There's some kind of psychological blind spot for this stuff.

F Minus

Mark Trail

So Mark's really just running from the police, huh? I'm not against it, just a little surprised.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I don't believe the Phantom is just going to walk away here. My guess is he'll be in the background as Phantom where this guy can't see him and help him that way.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

I don't know why, but I find Rex Morgan's brand of "doing nothing" quite nice and comforting, and Mary Worth's brand of "doing nothing" absolutely loving infuriating.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Vargo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 19, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Rae the Doe's web archives

Mean Comment

May Day

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat posted:

What's a Trauma? A place?
No no, that's Rauma. Which they are currently passing through in Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Basically, at the end of the Wen-Tack storyline which takes place after the end of Bad Machinery, Mildred successfully got a road built between Tackleford and the neighbouring town of Wendlefield. This screwed up the catchment areas of Tackleford. Sixth Form is basically the last two years of schooling before University, which can either be as part of a regular secondary school or at dedicated colleges - so if your school doesn't have a sixth form, you would either go to one that does or to a college. Griswalds (the school all of the mystery teens went to) had its own Sixth Form as part of the school, but due to the aforementioned shift of catchment areas (and Britain being a hellscape of Tory-led austerity, both in-universe and IRL), it got closed due to no longer being the only accessible 6th form in the area, so the mystery teens presumably all wound up going their separate ways for 6th form.

That bold goon was me, if you want to search for my posts and read it that way. And I know you think you made it simpler for American audiences, but it's still too complicated. :) Let's just say sixth form is junior and senior year and call it a day.

Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

lawd have mercy

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wen-Tack was last Tackleford storyline before Wicked Things afaik, but it wasn't the only short after Bad Machinery ends with Severed Alliance - there was a brief arc Hard Yards, canonically just before Wen-Tack/The Great Unboxing, which seemed to be backing off on the tension of Shauna and Lottie growing apart at the end of Severed Alliance (where they are reconciled but maybe not really besties any more, with Shauna largely preferring the prickly company of Blossom). In Hard Yards Little Claire joins the mystery team and Little Claire, Lottie, Shauna, and Blossom form a band, hooray... the loose-ends named characters since SGR being tied together in knots. Very neat.

Bad Machinery is really more about contemporary social relationships and adulthood than mysteries, but the theme of the ephemerality of childhood friendships, whilst realistic, is also kind of depressing? So y'know. It's nice to scratch that itch.

then Wen-Tack drives a steamroller through all of it by splitting the cast up again and introducing a new slate of mystery kids

hot doylist take is that it reflects Allison's indecision over whether to end the Tackleford universe, I suppose

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, Beric, you feel like a big man making little disabled kids cry?

I get that he was trying to put an attainable goal in the kid's head without being obvious about it, but yeah, he could have done that in a less hostile-seeming way.

Vintage Valiant (May 02, 1943)

Val's luck with boat trips has been mixed in the past, so we'll see where this goes.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 20, 2021

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ah, there's s lovely, judgmental Ed we know.

Also I'm the dude getting rained on by a chamberpot in Val.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics, spoilered for racial caricature

Footrot Flats

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

That bold goon was me, if you want to search for my posts and read it that way. And I know you think you made it simpler for American audiences, but it's still too complicated. :) Let's just say sixth form is junior and senior year and call it a day.

Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

Oh my god, Giles :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

So Mark's really just running from the police, huh? I'm not against it, just a little surprised.

Can't wait for Mark to tell us all about Prison Wildlife!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked parts of Wen-Tack, but the one thing I really didn't like about it was how Linton dropped out of the Wen-Tack Action Group for no reason. The last few stories have exaggerated Linton into a horny idiot and I was hopeful that Wen-Tack's focus on Linton meant he would get some character development.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I liked her before for her cool outfit, but between this and spreading some homophobic rumors about Ulf before, Aune's just been pretty disappointing as a character.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 21, 1999)

I appreciate how subtly he ages Janis in his comics over 20 years. The dude has to be drawing from real life.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Mikl posted:

Oh my god, Giles :allears:

Also Willie was throwing dildos at people that whole time, what a finale :lol:.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ronya posted:

Wen-Tack was last Tackleford storyline before Wicked Things afaik, but it wasn't the only short after Bad Machinery ends with Severed Alliance - there was a brief arc Hard Yards, canonically just before Wen-Tack/The Great Unboxing, which seemed to be backing off on the tension of Shauna and Lottie growing apart at the end of Severed Alliance (where they are reconciled but maybe not really besties any more, with Shauna largely preferring the prickly company of Blossom). In Hard Yards Little Claire joins the mystery team and Little Claire, Lottie, Shauna, and Blossom form a band, hooray... the loose-ends named characters since SGR being tied together in knots. Very neat.

Bad Machinery is really more about contemporary social relationships and adulthood than mysteries, but the theme of the ephemerality of childhood friendships, whilst realistic, is also kind of depressing? So y'know. It's nice to scratch that itch.

then Wen-Tack drives a steamroller through all of it by splitting the cast up again and introducing a new slate of mystery kids

hot doylist take is that it reflects Allison's indecision over whether to end the Tackleford universe, I suppose

Also I forget, is Bobbins canon to Bad Machinery or is it just another strip by the same author? If the former, how so?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

:lol:

Also, that Modesty Blaise wrap-up was excellent.

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 3rd, 1940

Axa

And that's it for The Desired! I peeked ahead a little at the next story and I have high hopes for it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

Also I forget, is Bobbins canon to Bad Machinery or is it just another strip by the same author? If the former, how so?

They all take place in the same shared universe, just at different points of time. IIRC it goes Bobbins (original) -> Scary Go Round -> Bad Machinery -> some side stories -> Circus Windows (new one). Also New Bobbins and Bobbins.Horse are scattered around there, I can't 100% remember where in the timeline they take place.

e: Giant Days is after SGR but before Bad Machinery I think? It's hard to check since OG Bobbins and SGR aren't online anymore and Giant Days and a few of the side stories are actual physical comic books.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Kazinsal posted:

They all take place in the same shared universe, just at different points of time. IIRC it goes Bobbins (original) -> Scary Go Round -> Bad Machinery -> some side stories -> Circus Windows (new one). Also New Bobbins and Bobbins.Horse are scattered around there, I can't 100% remember where in the timeline they take place.

e: Giant Days is after SGR but before Bad Machinery I think? It's hard to check since OG Bobbins and SGR aren't online anymore and Giant Days and a few of the side stories are actual physical comic books.

That's mostly it. Bobbins.Horse is basically a remake of the original Bobbins comic, allowing Allison to tell the stories he should have told the first time. New Bobbins picks up and takes place alongside Bad Machinery, but focusing more on the adult cast (Shelly Winters, Tim Jones). There were also some one-shots that take place at different points in the timeline ( Expecting to Fly takes place while Shelly and Ryan are in high school, while Murder She Writes takes place before the Bad Machinery: Case of the Fire Inside)

A relative chronology would be: Bobbins/Bobbins.Horse -> Scary Go Round -> Giant Days -> Bad Machinery / New Bobbins -> New Scary Go Round (Wen-Tack) -> Wicked Things -> Circus Windows

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Larryb posted:

It's all canon; Bobbins was the genesis of the whole Tackleford character universe. It was a "young people working in an office" strip about the lives of Ryan and Shelley's generation in the late 90's. After Bobbins came Scary-Go-Round, which was initially centered on Tessa and Rachel, two secondary Bobbins characters. Eventually Amy, Shelley and Ryan came back to the fore of SGR, while Tessa and Rachel became recurring villains, then disappeared from the strip altogether (They made one final return appearance to get killed off.) Through Shelley's younger sister Erin we were introduced to the world of Griswald's Grammar School, where one of her fellow students was Sarah Grote. Ryan briefly dated Sarah while she was in sixth form (kinda gross,) and around that same time that Sarah's younger sister Charlotte discovered that her friend Shauna had Desmond Fishman living in the shed behind her house (her brother Darren had nursed him back to help after he and his lads initially thought they'd killed him while roughing him up - Des had merely spit up ink, as is his habit.) Charlotte and Shauna became central to the last few SGR stories, then Bad Machinery started with them as the leads.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

voting third party posted:

Also Willie was throwing dildos at people that whole time, what a finale :lol:.

"Where is he getting all these clubs?" Modesty wonders, as Willie beans another goon in the forehead with a dildo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everett True: due process is un-American

A lot of intellectuals and writers who survived World War 1 talk about a time of "war madness" where they got swept up in intense jingoism and movements they otherwise would never have had, because it was just what everyone was doing and the groupthink was so intense. This isn't to let Everett and by extension Condo off the hook(there were people who knew WWI was a bad idea at the time, like Bertrand Russell, who was put in jail for objecting to WWI and then lived to protest the Vietnam war) but it's just interesting how Everett shows what went through the head of someone who was relatively progressive for the era in some ways, but frustratingly short sighted in others. I think the closest event like the WWI collective delusion in my time has been the post-9/11 era and the Iraq War.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

The problem is that Allison decided Wen-Tack, while apparently canon, wasn't really good enough to merit being posted online (which seems a bit harsh), so it can't be found easily.
That's mind-boggling, given how Wen-Tack gave us such classics as Fit Mum, the barbarian family, and Linton's unboxing channel.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I cannot get over the theoretical skull structure of the new baby in Kevin and Kell.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The barbarian family from Wen-Tack is something that needs to return. It'd be a good fit for Steeple.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Green Intern posted:

I cannot get over the theoretical skull structure of the new baby in Kevin and Kell.

But a rhino having sex with a feline and producing offspring is ok?

It's (bad) fantasy relax.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am still amazed/disappointed it wasn't a caticorn.

IT WAS RIGHT THERE, HOLBROOK YOU HACK.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

LingcodKilla posted:

But a rhino having sex with a feline and producing offspring is ok?

It's (bad) fantasy relax.

That's not okay either!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is the first in line.

Working Daze somehow manages to pull a mask joke.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix plays favorites.

Cul De Sac explores the dichotomy of man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's mind-boggling, given how Wen-Tack gave us such classics as Fit Mum, the barbarian family, and Linton's unboxing channel.

If only it hadn't fallen apart near the end. It had a lot of good stuff but it just didn't quite nail the landing. At least it's available now, even if not in a place of honour, because missing out on everything you mentioned is a drat shame.