Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

to be fair the labour party absolutely needs reorganising and its clear the organisation needs some professionals brought in to actually be like what the gently caress is this organisation meant to do and how do any of your party processes accomplish that?

a large part of the last 5 years was massive organisational incompetence being blamed on corbyn
it seems like a complete shithouse in there
I'd be very interested in seeing what their models are for organisational restructuring, because yes, Labour does seem like a mess, and it's going to be fascinating to see if a) they can overcome its organisational inertia, extra-organisational networks and whatnot, and b) it changes anything at all about what Labour produces. Neoliberalism but slick? Flag loving, but in a believable way? The sky's the limit.

ed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ewan posted:

What this system sounds bonkers. Why not just have your main account, and then a back up account with a fixed amount that maybe once a year you do something with.

I think your perception of the risk of a bank account being rendered inaccessible (what are the chances of such a rare event happening to you again?) or an account with money in it having something done to it for "lying dormant" (not a thing) is much higher than it actually is in reality.

It works for me (anyway, it takes no effort, the standing orders were set up a few years ago and just do their stuff). I'm pretty hot on my money. I have numerous spreadsheets going clickety clack every day so it's no bother to me. Every other month I change the debit card used to pay for my stuff in the shops to give the account a bit more life.

I also take all my receipts and have a little inner mantra every time I see someone in Home Bargains not taking their receipt thinking to myself "never complain to me you are skint if you don't take your receipts and either write it down in a cash book or put it on a spreadsheet."

My expenditure is listed in many different ways and I have pivot tables going whizz bang day in day.
Back in the 80s before computers I had two x 32column big red cashbooks to do the same thing.

Can you tell I'm a frustrated data analyst?

Also as someone who lives alone, if the cops ever arrested me for something I hadn't done and wanted an alibi, and no, there isn't anyone who can alibi me, I could just look at my spreadsheets and say "ah yes, on 15th March 2015 I went to Waitrose and bought a yoghurt' or whatever (except I didn't coz I was still living in Cairo then haha).

PS: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-dormant-accounts-scheme dormant accounts scheme

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 19, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ewan posted:

I don't understand why this is a surprise or shocking...?

Why would the government (and in particular this government) pay you an income if you already have money?

its not particularly surprising or shocking its just i'm very ignorant of everything surrounding universal credit and its more the realization that living like a poor hermit while trying to boost up my savings account is a really dumb thing to do when theres things I could spend the money on - such as a new heating system

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
As someone who was recently on UC between jobs I can confirm it's basically a punishment for being unemployed. 35 hours a week job searching? I don't even work 35 hours when I'm working full time.

I certainly won't be doing it for 4 pound an hour. My advice is do your normal 1-2 hours a day job searching and then blag the rest.

Also if I remember correctly. It's not just personal savings they take into account it's household savings. So good luck getting UC if your roomy won't support you out of their savings.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
How does someone even fill day after day job searching? Like... surely there is only a finite list of things you can do and once all application forms are exhausted you need to wait until new vacancies turn up (and then surely a new search each day takes like 10 mins)...

Are they expecting you to be working the streets asking "please sir do you have any vacancies?".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

STRONG MESSAGE HERE

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CommieGIR posted:

Good question: Not sure actually. Someone else pointed that out, too

https://twitter.com/sgautam206/status/1351570453261910016?s=20

Given that it is from the Irish Embassy Twitter account and is using the Irish flag Emoji, it's probably less likely to cause offense if you just phrase it as "here are sea routes that sail from the Republic of Ireland to France" and imply that people in the North can also sail to France through some magical means.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ewan posted:

Why would the government (and in particular this government) pay you an income if you already have money?

This is when one can start getting all bitter and twisted. I worked bloody hard (to the point of becoming very ill when I quit my last full-time job in 2007) for my dosh (my £60pw is from my contributory work pension).

A relative of mine gets £100pw disability - more than another friend of mine with severe MS who needs a mobility devices etc - she goes running / cycling daily, lives in a big house with her wealthy husband, nothing wrong with her except she thinks every employer is stupid and every job she ever had refused to do as she is asked and if the employer then tries to reprimand her, has a big meltdown and is 'let go'.

Sometimes I let the bitter twisted inner-tory feelings well up and then I remind myself that she is absolutely an outlier and not typical.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

such as a new heating system
Buying a new heating system is worth it in terms of savings anyway if you can afford it, you'll make a greater annual return on a high efficiency boiler/heating unit than you will interest in any standard account.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I didn't gently caress up the Covid response (or the economy in general) why should my savings suffer?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Butternubs posted:

As someone who was recently on UC between jobs I can confirm it's basically a punishment for being unemployed. 35 hours a week job searching? I don't even work 35 hours when I'm working full time.

I certainly won't be doing it for 4 pound an hour. My advice is do your normal 1-2 hours a day job searching and then blag the rest.

Also if I remember correctly. It's not just personal savings they take into account it's household savings. So good luck getting UC if your roomy won't support you out of their savings.

I believe it's only partners that count when considering amount of savings, not your random flatmate.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Ewan posted:

I believe it's only partners that count when considering amount of savings, not your random flatmate.

I actually gently caress all my flat mates.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guavanaut posted:

Buying a new heating system is worth it in terms of savings anyway if you can afford it, you'll make a greater annual return on a high efficiency boiler/heating unit than you will interest in any standard account.

just to clarify as this is good advice - when i first moved into the flat 10 years ago i only just had enough for the mortgage and there way no way we could spend £3-4k on a new boiler and even if we did we'd only just be breaking even now!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ewan posted:

When I shared a flat in the 1980s with 7 people, one of the women signed on. We all had to get involved with this random flatmate's claim proving /swearing that she wasn't in a quasi-marital relationship with any of us, that none of us were supporting her, several letters informing that when the question on the form said essentially "what is your rent?" and she put £116 and circled the 'per week' bit (which it was), got about 4 letters back from them saying 'is that per month' and messing her money around.

I realize my experiences are a few years ago now, but I don't suppose for one minute things have got easier.

Also had 2 friends who worked at the DSS and they said that anyone 'on counters' who showed any sympathy with claimants was shuffled off to back office work sharpish.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ewan posted:

I'm not surprised its the case, but objectively I feel it discriminates against people saving up for a car/house vs those paying off a car/house/drug habit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is when one can start getting all bitter and twisted. I worked bloody hard (to the point of becoming very ill when I quit my last full-time job in 2007) for my dosh (my £60pw is from my contributory work pension).

A relative of mine gets £100pw disability - more than another friend of mine with severe MS who needs a mobility devices etc - she goes running / cycling daily, lives in a big house with her wealthy husband, nothing wrong with her except she thinks every employer is stupid and every job she ever had refused to do as she is asked and if the employer then tries to reprimand her, has a big meltdown and is 'let go'.

Sometimes I let the bitter twisted inner-tory feelings well up and then I remind myself that she is absolutely an outlier and not typical.

Yeah, I'd also say that someone on £100 a week is absolutely not the person you should aim those feelings at first. Jeff Bezos could drop £100 in the street and he'd have made it back in the time it took him to pick it up.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think he's on like $2500 per second now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'd also say that someone on £100 a week is absolutely not the person you should aim those feelings at first. Jeff Bezos could drop £100 in the street and he'd have made it back in the time it took him to pick it up.

I know. It's that old thing though - people are more envious of their neighbour who earns £20 more than Bezos or others who earn more than you can ever imagine.
Divide and conquer.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ewan posted:

How does someone even fill day after day job searching? Like... surely there is only a finite list of things you can do and once all application forms are exhausted you need to wait until new vacancies turn up (and then surely a new search each day takes like 10 mins)...

Are they expecting you to be working the streets asking "please sir do you have any vacancies?".

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried training an AI to "job search" and fill in these forms. It's not like the monkey processing them is likely to know any better.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

His net worth increased $13 billion in one day, so he'd get about £500k in that amount of time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried training an AI to "job search" and fill in these forms. It's not like the monkey processing them is likely to know any better.

I understand that you have to apply for a minimum of 3 jobs a week, but if you apply for jobs that are too low for your skills (which are probably the only ones around if you are, say, a PhD in a STEM subject with 30 years experience in various roles) or apply for jobs too outside your skills, then you can get sanctioned for that as well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gort posted:

Jeff Bezos worked in McDonalds at one point and excelled at university, say what you want about him but he didn't get where he is by sleeping in till 1pm and jerking off to Coronation Street

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Jeff Bezos worked in McDonalds at one point and excelled at university, say what you want about him but he didn't get where he is by sleeping in till 1pm and jerking off to Coronation Street

I don't see how switching to Eastenders is going to change my fortunes

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

I have long been such a broken and anti-social bastard that covid has hardly changed my life at all tbh :slick:

I started off much the same position; hand washing & not going to my local archery club (decided i needed limited social contact outside of work).

Current position is i took voluntary redundancy when the furloughs ended in October and ending up now as: when you wake up in the morning and think to yourself ''life is good!'', well that's what i feel every damned day (apart from dying from covid bit.... yay obesity!). :cheersbird:

edit:

keep punching joe posted:

Why is the top right of Eire shaded out?

They don't want to set off the DUP, not that Sammy needs an excuse.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 19, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gort posted:

I don't see how switching to Eastenders is going to change my fortunes

lol i was going to originally put "Loose Women" but then if you arn't familiar with british daytime TV that might sound dodgy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I understand that you have to apply for a minimum of 3 jobs a week, but if you apply for jobs that are too low for your skills (which are probably the only ones around if you are, say, a PhD in a STEM subject with 30 years experience in various roles) or apply for jobs too outside your skills, then you can get sanctioned for that as well.

What in the gently caress? I live in North Wales where even retail jobs are quite rare. The most common return is for care home nurses. The gently caress would I be expected to do?

Lose a job here right now and the best you could hope for is they build another Amazon warehouse

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Couldn't get any delivery slots from anywhere a week and a half ago so had to pop out to Sainsbury's and long story short I have the lurgie. I guess there's only so many times you can roll the dice before it happens. Cheers Boris.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

What in the gently caress? I live in North Wales where even retail jobs are quite rare. The most common return is for care home nurses. The gently caress would I be expected to do?

Lose a job here right now and the best you could hope for is they build another Amazon warehouse

Same round here (South Wales - a small town). Almost all part time care home/care assistant jobs (but all require a car - took my test 4 times in the 1990s and failed 4 times and now I have a panic attack every time I walk past a driving test centre.) and a few retail jobs (which as almost all my neighbours in this block are over 80 I consider too risky to them even if I got offered one.)

Maybe they've relaxed the job application conditions because of covid. You never know.

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Couldn't get any delivery slots from anywhere a week and a half ago so had to pop out to Sainsbury's and long story short I have the lurgie. I guess there's only so many times you can roll the dice before it happens. Cheers Boris.

:( Hope you have a milder version. I've one friend who had it for 2 weeks done and dusted, and another with long covid - had it in March and now in and out of hospital all the time.

This lot keep showing up on my FB as 'Boring Basics' - might be worth trying if you can't get standard supermarket slots:

https://webother.co.uk/

quote:

Fast delivery of boring basics. Simple.
No fresh food here, we only stock boring basics.
Forget delivery slot rage, we always have availability.
No subscription or membership required so you'll only ever get what you need.
We deliver nationwide because where you live shouldn't matter.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 19, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JollyBoyJohn posted:

just to clarify as this is good advice - when i first moved into the flat 10 years ago i only just had enough for the mortgage and there way no way we could spend £3-4k on a new boiler and even if we did we'd only just be breaking even now!

I got my boiler and all the pipework replaced last year and British Gas did me an interest-free loan to pay for it. Don't assume that getting a new boiler will mean wiping your savings out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm not sure why i find that qc melting down about nate bethea so funny

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I got my boiler and all the pipework replaced last year and British Gas did me an interest-free loan to pay for it. Don't assume that getting a new boiler will mean wiping your savings out.

can I ask how much you were in total? one of the reasons I'm hesitant about it is its not just a new boiler its a total conversion from one of the old back boilers usually hidden behind a fireplace. is that similar to what you had?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Gavrilo Princip posted:

That sucks, was it particularly crowded that day or just really bad luck? Or is the new strain that bad?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Savings can impact your legal entitlement to UC but I'm 99.9999999% certain they don't do anything but the most cursory checks. The system is designed to punish working class people not familiar with nudge nudge wink wink middle glass grifting while letting the right sorts play it. There are a million ways to make your cash not liquid to get under the threshold (or yeah just go withdraw some and keep it in a safe place) but honestly I doubt it would take much more than keeping your savings in a seperate account and not mentioning it. This is much like declaring whether you live with a partner or not, tbh, which I very foolishly did when we moved back into the same flat and promptly found my UC had been cut to 120 pounds sterling pcm because apparently people in couples eat less lol.* I think it's pretty telling that you're a-ok claiming the full amount if you're living rent and bill free with family, but not with a partner who earns less than average wage.

*we also have to now do a joint application which gets paid into only one account so good luck to those in abusive relationships they're trying to escape from who now have zero independent finances!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 19, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

i'm not sure why i find that qc melting down about nate bethea so funny

Its because they should be very intelligent, calm, rational people and yet hes been on a 4 day breakdown over it.

Twitter has done more to bring the entire barrister profession into disrepute than anything else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know. It's that old thing though - people are more envious of their neighbour who earns £20 more than Bezos or others who earn more than you can ever imagine.
Divide and conquer.

People can imagine Bezos has worked for what he's got, knowing someone close to you is making more money than you for less (apparent) effort or ability - because nobody really believes people they've met in real life is that special - makes it apparent that actually working as hard as you possibly can isn't actually the way to success, so they have to deal with that cognitive dissonance somehow.

Ironically it was the fact that *I'm* the arsehole earning more than my friends, all of whom undoubtedly work harder than I do, that snapped me out of my dumb libertarian 20s. I got into my field through dumb luck and a completely random connection, and have moved up in it through similar dumb luck (and the related dumb luck that my only actual talents happened to line up with other jobs as they came available). My brother does 12 hour shifts moving poo poo around a warehouse and I earn 4 times what he does. My best mate can turn his hand to almost anything, grafts like a fucker, and has been unemployed since May now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
there are just a lot of petty, spiteful bastards out there imo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

JollyBoyJohn posted:

can I ask how much you were in total? one of the reasons I'm hesitant about it is its not just a new boiler its a total conversion from one of the old back boilers usually hidden behind a fireplace. is that similar to what you had?

Look on your councils website for grants.

https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/services/housing/safety-and-cost-saving-in-the-home/energy-saving-in-the-home/

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Ika posted:

That sucks, was it particularly crowded that day or just really bad luck? Or is the new strain that bad?

It was busy but not outrageously so, I think this new strain is just a major bastard and very easy to catch. It also managed to get through both a standard medical mask and a neoprene one, although I think the masks definitely helped reduce the overall severity.

I'm kicking it's rear end, for what it's worth; my sense of smell only cut out for a few days and I initially thought it was flu because of the honking amounts of phlegm I was bringing up with the cough, which suggests that my immune system was on the case from the start. It's mostly been skulking around unable to get a serious grip on anything, which I'm glad about because I can tell this thing would be a oval office to deal with otherwise.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThomasPaine posted:

Savings can impact your legal entitlement to UC but I'm 99.9999999% certain they don't do anything but the most cursory checks.

I was investigated for benefit fraud once because I filled in a post office form to get my post redirected (on account of being ill, which was why I was entitled to benefits in the first place, but hey ho). Got it sorted, but it was an eye-opener about the DWP's sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

serious gaylord posted:

Its because they should be very intelligent, calm, rational people and yet hes been on a 4 day breakdown over it.

Twitter has done more to bring the entire barrister profession into disrepute than anything else.

So the Bar as a profession is one so tied up in Victorian traditions* not to mention crazy financial structures meaning it's expensive enough to get in. But it can be super expensive to stay in practice, because payment can be super spadoric.

The nature of the work involves standing up in court in front of an audience and theatrically** argue well researched points of law. As has been said, ithe court is a Crucible, where the mediocre are very quickly burnt up.

As a profession it attracts a certain type of personality. But the fact we have ethics and (more importantly) an actual sense of collegial means that most Barristers know not to act like dicks to each other. Even if for no other reason than you don't want your reputation within the profession shredded.

But as they say in that ad campaign for Tayto Crisps, there is always one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42XwLGQ7BKE

Sounds like this QC is....one.

*= Seriously I can do a huge effort post about this I know there is a law thread which also probably covers similar ground but I have dined out regularly on stories about Wigs, Gowns, dinner at Hogwarts, having Masters and about spelling Honour with or without a U.

** = I mean that literally. While in Law school we had to take acting lessons. Mostly withal view to improving your speaking voice, but I have learned that sometimes you need to lay the emotions on a bit thick to enhance your case.