Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Iamgoofball posted:

The excuse from their project lead:

I'm sure the mod that tells you to play the Legion questline if you want a "dialogue heavy adventure" and makes the NCR pathline into a literal COD campaign is definitely on the up and up.

gently caress this mod.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh drat was gonna play this rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Regarde Aduck posted:

So that's it then. On to the next nazi panic.

It was one guy jumping to conclusions and not accepting the reasonable explanation given by the dev until other people pointed out the explanation was reasonable. There have been 10x more posts making fun of that overreaction than there have been posts saying it sucks if there is a nazi involved in the mod. I don't know what you think is happening but it's clearly not.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There have been 10x more posts making fun of that overreaction
you can add another to the total (this convo is and continues to be extremely dumb)

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 19, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zane posted:

you can add another to the total (this 'issue' is extremely dumb)

Keep editing it you'll zing me eventually.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Keep editing it you'll zing me eventually.
you're literally overreacting again and again. you're literally doing the thing you're saying isn't happening?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Farg posted:

Oh drat was gonna play this rip

The New Vegas modder Richard Spencer is Dragbody. He's mentioned before that he unfortunately shares the name with a nazi.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ok let's call it there on this topic. No more takes necessary!

edit: correcting confusion is fine of course, let's just avoid the arguing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

New Super Metis posted:

Ok let's call it there on this topic. No more takes necessary!

edit: correcting confusion is fine of course, let's just avoid the arguing.

Ok.

E: Anyone know if there's any mods to remove the leather straps most super mutants have on their face?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 19, 2021

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lurdiak posted:

It was one guy jumping to conclusions and not accepting the reasonable explanation given by the dev until other people pointed out the explanation was reasonable. There have been 10x more posts making fun of that overreaction than there have been posts saying it sucks if there is a nazi involved in the mod. I don't know what you think is happening but it's clearly not.

how can you say it’s not happening if you don’t know what it is

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When are they gonna put boobs on the snake addicted to mentats so I have a reason to try Frontier.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I will say I came for the laughs but now I really want to replay New Vegas. Is the OP still pretty up to date? It's hard to tell with old, big threads like this. Ideally I'd like some graphics/performance upgrades and while I'm ok with most of the original jank, if there are any QoL upgrades that are strongly recommended I'm open to hearing about them. Basically I'm looking for a mod package that lets me play through the "vanilla" experience but as smoothly as possible. And preferably avoid any mods developed by this "Adolf Hitler" guy, something about the name just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Modern advice for Vanilla+ is Viva New Vegas (maybe dropping the JSawyer stuff if you have strong feelings about balance)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

you also jumped to conclusions and immediately defended him lol

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The safest approach is to ban everybody named Richard just to clear things up around here, but then if there's a precedent for banning people on names alone we'd also have to ban every Jared for obvious reasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Count Uvula posted:

The safest approach is to ban everybody named Richard just to clear things up around here, but then if there's a precedent for banning people on names alone we'd also have to ban every Jared for obvious reasons.

As someone with an incredibly uncommon name I wholly endorse this policy.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

goferchan posted:

I will say I came for the laughs but now I really want to replay New Vegas. Is the OP still pretty up to date? It's hard to tell with old, big threads like this. Ideally I'd like some graphics/performance upgrades and while I'm ok with most of the original jank, if there are any QoL upgrades that are strongly recommended I'm open to hearing about them. Basically I'm looking for a mod package that lets me play through the "vanilla" experience but as smoothly as possible. And preferably avoid any mods developed by this "Adolf Hitler" guy, something about the name just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The OP has a disclaimer that says it's out of date but as someone completely unfamiliar with New Vegas modding I have no clue if that's still true. I don't know if the person who made the thread is still active, but if anyone was interested in drafting up some new guides or finding some to link I could edit the post. Suggestions?

edit: wow this thread had its ten year birthday at the end of December! Happy birthday thread!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Count Uvula posted:

So in addition to the content I now have to carefully search the authors themselves for tricky dicks in my Fallout mods?! What is the world coming to!

edit: Jesus, one of my first posts on this website nearly ten years ago was in this thread. I'm crumbling into ash like I got shot with a plasma caster

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 19, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

RangerKarl posted:

Modern advice for Vanilla+ is Viva New Vegas (maybe dropping the JSawyer stuff if you have strong feelings about balance)

This is the best advice for playing New Vegas in a modern context. Viva New Vegas makes the game the most stable it's ever been. When I replayed back in October using the older guide, I had very few crashes, and that was doing as many quests as I could. And most of those crashes was because Lombard Station freaks out when it's displaying a lot of ammo at once.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mod i liked - real recoil. makes teh guns feel a little closer to how they are in fallout 4

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41518/?tab=description highly recommend this gameplay enhancement. i have no idea what obsidian was thinking by not having this in vanilla

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dongicus posted:

mod i liked - real recoil. makes teh guns feel a little closer to how they are in fallout 4

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41518/?tab=description highly recommend this gameplay enhancement. i have no idea what obsidian was thinking by not having this in vanilla

Oh loving hell yeah

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ohhhh noooooo

Burns
May 10, 2008

How current is the OP? im looking to jump back in but its been like 6 years since i last played.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The OP is extremely outdated. Just use Viva New Vegas as a start, for your modding experience and then as you learn, branch out from there, IMO. Or if you wanna go really particular, using Living in New Vegas, the old version, which was far more comprehensive.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Will do. Thanks.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

runod posted:

threads,,,, threads never change

yah its vortex and the hotfix is below,
ever since i got the mission to retrieve the bodies in ch 2 (i think lol) ive been crashing CONSTANTly. i put both bodies in a body bag and picking them up has crashed me at least twice per body, and once i finally delivered them just wondering the base has crashed me

Oh hey I have exactly the same problem but I was trying to just get away with not doing a full clean reinstall cause my internet is super poo poo, so I just figured it was that. Out of curiosity was the quest still asking you to talk to the guy who gave you the quest? Cause it kept doing that with me and I was kinda wondering if that meant a quest trigger hosed up and maybe that's why it was doing it?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh loving hell yeah

so you's the freakin courier or somethin

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Count Uvula posted:

SA should check first names during registration. that way if your name is something with issue, you should have to pay $15 instead of $10. that'll teach jared subway when he signs up

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
congratulations guys, you made it into an announcement on the Frontier discord :cripes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I asked for a further explanation and got one. I'm not gonna feel guilty for asking why the name of a prominent neo-nazi was in the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Skwirl posted:

I asked for a further explanation and got one. I'm not gonna feel guilty for asking why the name of a prominent neo-nazi was in the game.

If you take the 5 seconds to input Richard Spencer into wikipedia, there are a lot of Richard Spencers that are not the nazi one

It could have been reference Richard Spencer of the Winstons. Or whatevee

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh horrors, I was being cautious about the politics of the mod that locks a third of its content behind joining the "rape and slavery rock" faction.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you take the 5 seconds to input Richard Spencer into wikipedia, there are a lot of Richard Spencers that are not the nazi one

It could have been reference Richard Spencer of the Winstons. Or whatevee
None of them are as famous as the nazi one.
It sucks for that guy that he has the same name as a famous neo nazi, I would probably make sure my middle name or initial was featured in everything public about me.

There's a reason actor Michael B Jordan is always referred to as Michael B Jordan.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Skwirl posted:

Oh horrors, I was being cautious about the politics of the mod that locks a third of its content behind joining the "rape and slavery rock" faction.

I mean, so would New Vegas if the devs got all the time they wanted?

Look I'm dealing with irl Nazi death threats, not online ones, and this is so aggravating. You made a mistake. Shut the gently caress up about it.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It sucks for that guy that he has the same name as a famous neo nazi, I would probably make sure my middle name or initial was featured in everything public about me.

There's a reason actor Michael B Jordan is always referred to as Michael B Jordan.

This is so embarrassing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eh at least I got to use that little image I made last week.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Please source your quotes for this performative wokeness or I’m going to take points away

OpiumMan
Jun 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Eh at least I got to use that little image I made last week.

I know neither of you will learn or grow, but could you at least take the L?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OpiumMan posted:

I know neither of you will learn or grow, but could you at least take the L?

See this is the pathetic part to me, people treating this as some kind of moral failure when it was just people jumping the gun on something and being briefly wrong about something in a mod. If I hadn't literally been asleep when the follow up was posted I would've gone "Oh lol that makes sense" but by then people were already getting called psychopaths or whatever. It's really, really weird to treat this as some kind of hysteria or moral panic that is emblematic of a deep seated character flaw or general trend.

I don't mind admitting that I hosed up not looking up the modding team or thinking about the context before posting, and the dude is within his rights to roast me about it on his modder page, but I really think the overreaction is on the other side of this conversation, because it was 3 people being wrong about something for approximately one hour and apparently that's worth weird moralizing and pages and pages of derails.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Way to go, guys. Now Something Awful is a complete laughingstock!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

OK seriously, let's move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

so you's the freakin courier or somethin

It's from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., though, so it would be more like, "Друг, ты курьер что ли?"

Skwirl posted:

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Way to go, guys. Now Something Awful is a complete laughingstock!

You mean moreso than usual?