Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

He puts his hand on your shoulder and tells you to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
His authority levels are that of a gods. He could’ve made Harry stop.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You do have to pass a legendary check.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Kim's Authority is in fact lacking quite a bit If you succeed the check to make him dance with you :colbert:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think the “shoot Cunoesse” ending is metagamey, not indicative of Kim’s personality. It’s there for the gamer who picks the stupidest possible option in a Choose Your Own Adventure book with their finger firmly lodged in the last page.

It’s a dark Easter egg for people who deplete entire dialogue trees or try to find the “edge state” where the simulation breaks down and the game has to tell you to stop.

In short, it’s not canon and never was, even in the universe where burnt out Harrier du Bois would consider shooting a child in cold blood.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean, he also let's you punch Cuno with little more than a scold, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ehhh Hegel had a thing for Napoleon and was a Lutheran. They’re pretty obviously talking this Innocents business from Hegel. They’re the physical manifestation of an idea in a person that then establishes a theonomy, society becomes ordered to produce that idea in everybody that participates in it.

But that’s literally in physical sense breaking apart at the time of the game. The open question is who is the next innocent?

Innocence seems to be basically a mix of an old school divinely appointed monarch, pope, and a Founding Father, as mentioned basically Great Man History without the subtext. The idea of historical inevitability that makes people smile and shut their brains off as they do what they're told, what's normal, what's inevitable.

Harry punching Cuno probably slides because Kim finds him annoying and because of Cuno's reaction. Like I've said, Harry and Cuno can have an odd connection, and Cuno is implied to be a lot like what Harry used to be as a kid.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Kim just puts waayyyy too much trust in you. You can go through a whole conversation warning everyone you’re going to shoot yourself in the head (with Kim’s gun, even) and he doesn’t stop you. He doesn’t believe you’ll go through with it. :wrong:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the real reason is that Kim is being a good cop and backing up his partner, but mostly as an excuse because he doesn't give a gently caress about Martinase or anything that happens there, and presumably neither did Harry, which is why he decided to have an epic bender waiting for Kim to show before the game starts. He seems to care more as the game goes on, but nobody was expecting the investigation to go anywhere, anyway. Hes only there to be seen. Harry and Kim actually doing good police work (if you played that way) is basically a happy accident.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kim makes it somewhat clear at some point that basically, if he ditches Harry, he's on his own, and he knows he's not going to get anywhere on his own. There's no backup, no one else coming. And his eyesight is barely enough to function, doing effective detective work on his own is right out.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think officially (as moralintern declares it) Innocenses are personified forces of history, such as what they achieve is something that was supposed to happen anyway, they just accelerate it without bumbling about for 100 years before you get there anyway.

Dude who tried (and maybe succeeded, don't remember) to assasinate Dolores Dei saw her terrifying inhuman force that shouldn't exist.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Larry Parrish posted:

I think the real reason is that Kim is being a good cop and backing up his partner, but mostly as an excuse because he doesn't give a gently caress about Martinase or anything that happens there, and presumably neither did Harry, which is why he decided to have an epic bender waiting for Kim to show before the game starts. He seems to care more as the game goes on, but nobody was expecting the investigation to go anywhere, anyway. Hes only there to be seen. Harry and Kim actually doing good police work (if you played that way) is basically a happy accident.

I dunno, I never once got the impression Kim didn’t give a gently caress. He seemed to give lots of fucks.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 19, 2021

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah Kim starts off frustrated because he's arrived to a case that's been neglected in a town that's hostile to the police, all based on a precinct pissing match.

At no point did I get the impression he's actually indifferent to what's going on. He's just keenly aware of his role and takes it seriously, perhaps too much so.

His speaking voice is really dry, so I could see how you'd get the impression he doesn't give a poo poo. I'm curious how full VA is going to impact those characters you interact with a lot.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Innocence seems to be basically a mix of an old school divinely appointed monarch, pope, and a Founding Father, as mentioned basically Great Man History without the subtext. The idea of historical inevitability that makes people smile and shut their brains off as they do what they're told, what's normal, what's inevitable.

I do think that idea of a failing theonomy is important in understand how moralism is presented in the game. The material lives that people in Revachol are living don’t produce participation in moralism. Outside of Kim is there another local moralist? Sunday Friend isn’t from Revachol.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Sekenr posted:

I think officially (as moralintern declares it) Innocenses are personified forces of history, such as what they achieve is something that was supposed to happen anyway, they just accelerate it without bumbling about for 100 years before you get there anyway.

Dude who tried (and maybe succeeded, don't remember) to assasinate Dolores Dei saw her terrifying inhuman force that shouldn't exist.

Dolores Dei is also described as someone dispassionately playing a game of strategy, with clear objectives for the advancement of mankind and little regard for the individual pieces. She pretty much assumed the position of an absolute ruler with supernatural knowledge regarding society, war, economics, and so on, micromanaging stuff for inscrutable reasons. Also that there are no records of her life before this, as if she was suddenly activated for this role. Like a player taking control of a nation in a Paradox Interactive RTS or something.

It kind of struck me that maybe Harry is actually an innocence, in that he is the player this time, only in a different kind of game. Or more specifically that he became an innocence the moment he woke up from the latest binge.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Nosfereefer posted:

Dolores Dei is also described as someone dispassionately playing a game of strategy, with clear objectives for the advancement of mankind and little regard for the individual pieces. She pretty much assumed the position of an absolute ruler with supernatural knowledge regarding society, war, economics, and so on, micromanaging stuff for inscrutable reasons. Also that there are no records of her life before this, as if she was suddenly activated for this role. Like a player taking control of a nation in a Paradox Interactive RTS or something.

It kind of struck me that maybe Harry is actually an innocence, in that he is the player this time, only in a different kind of game. Or more specifically that he became an innocence the moment he woke up from the latest binge.

It would be cool if they followed this thought and made a game where you take control of Dolores Dei in the exact time it seemed she came out of thin air.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Claes Oldenburger posted:

It would be cool if they followed this thought and made a game where you take control of Dolores Dei in the exact time it seemed she came out of thin air.

This, but only if it was like King of Dragon Pass.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I got the impression that the Innocences were... not really human, on a fundamental level. Or at least Dolores Dei wasn't. But maybe I'm just giving too much weight to the opinion of an assassin?

quote:

One of the men in this secret service killed her -- 22 years later. A young man who had come to suspect that Dolores Dei was not entirely human, but something else. Dolores Dei was shot in the chest with a fowling piece. The man, thought to be insane, said he once touched her and her body had been unnaturally warm, like furnace -- and that sometimes while on duty he observed her forgetting to breathe for over ten minutes... Something that had walked in our midst, watching us stumble for hundreds, if not thousands of years, until it decided to interfere -- interfere in the course of our history. "We were supposed to come up with this ourselves!" the man was reported to have screamed at the innocence... This *inhuman* quality was witnessed by many others as well -- glowing lungs and all. It is commonly attributed to mass hysteria and religious psychology.

Also the innocence that the world had just before the game set resigned and said people should learn to excel on their own rather than deifying history.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I wonder if the abdicated innocence is still alive. I remember her being born in the previous century but that's it. Cool character stub though

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I got the impression that the Innocences were... not really human, on a fundamental level. Or at least Dolores Dei wasn't. But maybe I'm just giving too much weight to the opinion of an assassin?

Also the innocence that the world had just before the game set resigned and said people should learn to excel on their own rather than deifying history.

Regular people don't have glowing lungs.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
anyone have the post with all that cool talk about the backgrounds of DE's character portraits indicating their political leanings?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

This, but only if it was like King of Dragon Pass.

What was the civilization of minmaxers in Glorantha? Godtamers? Anyways, Dolores Dei is one of them.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Arrhythmia posted:

Regular people don't have glowing lungs.

I always saw all this stuff as people (innocences) doing things that seem incredible to the layperson in their lifetime, and then over the years they become a myth with glowing lungs that didn't die from a bullet and were oddly warm.

In a pre internet world it's easy to see how myths like that spread and change over the years.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nosfereefer posted:

This is what I think too.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
the way i've always interpreted the innocents is that they essentially represent a Hegelian theory of history, but completely correct and real. he describes Napoleon entering Jena after demolishing the prussians in battle as seeing 'the World Soul on horseback'. he's using it as a metaphor but in DE's universe the Innocents actually are a physical and supernatural manifestation of history/the World Soul. They are more human than human, more historical than history itself and their very existence entails a complete change in the material condition of the world and the course of history as a whole. and its no wonder these completely inhuman perfect objects of desire have delved their way into the subconscious of our troubled protagonist and he has confused the perfect and impossible madonna Dolores Dei with his similarly perfect and impossible Ex

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hegel might be literal rather than metaphorical about Napoleon. It’s about the event of Napoleon and this thinking is taken rather directly from his theology and thinking about Jesus.

One might say it depends on who is writing about Hegel re if he is being metaphorical or literal.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I just realized that the racist lorry driver calling Kim and Siileng "Rainbow Man" is a double insult, as rainbows are colorful and thus apply to "colored folk" from far away he hates, and rainbows are also a symbol of gay pride and to the racist lorry driver imply that Kim and Siileng are also gay, which he almost certainly hates as well. It's like Measurehead's "ham sandwich" insult to Harry meaning not only another pigs->police insult, but also meaning bland and boring because a ham sandwich is a generic flavorless sandwich, also probably applies to Harry's own race/culture because Measurehead is Martinaise's most lovable racist philosopher.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EorayMel posted:

a ham sandwich is a generic flavorless sandwich

Tell that to Gaston :mad:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My thing from Displate arrived.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Animal-Mother posted:

loving love how they give him (and Vicquemare!) a halo

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Animal-Mother posted:

Nice! Does it seem to be good quality print and material? I might go ahead and pull the trigger on the ones I've been looking at.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm late to the party, as I just finished this g-- I'm not even calling it a game. I'm going with "experience". It truly is something special, to the point I bothered to leave a long review, waxing poetic, and I never do that. I blame Art Cop. He got in my head.

39 hours, and I only managed 9 achievements out of 25. Apparently, a ton of things I left to do and the game certainly let me know I was boring as gently caress. I'll have to do a replay in the near future.

I'll certainly never forget the moment the beat got to me... and Kim. The Lieutenant sure can bust some dance moves when he wants to.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nice! Does it seem to be good quality print and material? I might go ahead and pull the trigger on the ones I've been looking at.

I'm no Art Cop, but it does seem to be well-made. Even came with magnets for mounting.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So even though I should probably wait for the Final Cut version (in March right?) I'm thinking of maybe starting up a second run of this.

First go around I went for like a 4 3 2 3 (or however it worked out) spread of stats with Inland Empire as my signature skill, though I eventually ended up leaning far more into Conceptualization and went full Art Cop.
Anyone have any suggestions for a stat spread and signature skill which could be interesting for me to try out for my second run?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I might suggest saving high Inland/Shivers for voiced, because I can see that flowing really well.

Try a high Motorics run, like 2,3,2,5 or 2,2,2,6. If nothing else it helps you see how much of the game you can skip by not being a clumsy rear end. Rushing for Jamais Vu and maybe 15th indotribe can help a bit.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Randarkman posted:

So even though I should probably wait for the Final Cut version (in March right?) I'm thinking of maybe starting up a second run of this.

First go around I went for like a 4 3 2 3 (or however it worked out) spread of stats with Inland Empire as my signature skill, though I eventually ended up leaning far more into Conceptualization and went full Art Cop.
Anyone have any suggestions for a stat spread and signature skill which could be interesting for me to try out for my second run?

Max physical stats, signature in half light OR authority.

Smash everyone in the face before they strangle you in your sleep, especially The Cuno and the delinquents on Thursday coming a little too close to Kim's car (metaphorically)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tylana posted:

I might suggest saving high Inland/Shivers for voiced, because I can see that flowing really well.

Try a high Motorics run, like 2,3,2,5 or 2,2,2,6. If nothing else it helps you see how much of the game you can skip by not being a clumsy rear end. Rushing for Jamais Vu and maybe 15th indotribe can help a bit.

EorayMel posted:

Max physical stats, signature in half light OR authority.

Smash everyone in the face before they strangle you in your sleep, especially The Cuno and the delinquents on Thursday coming a little too close to Kim's car (metaphorically)

Thanks for the suggestions I actually kind of went with a combination between the two of these, thoiugh with electrochemistry as my signature skill. Not being completely useless in the physical skills has already shown itself to provide a bit of a different perspective on things as I play again. As regards Shivers, and waiting for that for the fully voiced version, I actually ended up with really high Shivers in my first run, because I internalized several thoughts that raised by learning limited well past my puny physique stat, and because I internalzied Actual Art Degree pretty early on and had very high Conceptualization I was more or less rolling in experience and skill points.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Checking the achievements, less than 1% players finished the game in hardcore mode. What does hardcore mode do exactly that (apparently) makes the game that much harder?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Checking the achievements, less than 1% players finished the game in hardcore mode. What does hardcore mode do exactly that (apparently) makes the game that much harder?

I checked it for my first run and played with it throughout the entire thing, but somehow didn't get the achievement. I think it just makes some adjustments for item prices and skill check dificulties. Basically just seems like hard mode, so few players having the achievement is probably a combination of nothing prompting you when you start the game if you want hardcore mode or not and the fact that it seems like it might be bugged as regards Steam achievements detecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I never even considered that it might be bugged. Hopefully it's been fixed since, or they are working on it. I kind of want to try it when the big update drops in.