Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The story of how Amalur got made is better than Amalur the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Funky Valentine posted:

The story of how Amalur got made is better than Amalur the game.

The Official Game of Rhode Island

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As a Rhode Islander I always feel compelled to correct people on this oft-repeated canard: Kingdoms of Amalur was not the game that bankrupted 38 Studios. It was a mostly finished, separate IP that 38 Studios bought and then injected with their own lore to generate financial interest and investment in Project Copernicus, the never-released MMO that did eventually cause the studio to go under. As of 2018 Rhode Island no longer owns KoA, having been bought by THQ Nordic, so I can no longer in good conscience recommend it as I will not be seeing any residuals.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Only 3% of players even have Bubbler 3. 28% of players have Firefly, for having 10+ flares at any given time, where after nearly 60 hours of playing I've not yet seen one.

It took me a while to figure out what that unlock required, but you've definitely seen a flare. They're the projectiles that, most commonly, you've seen Pyro NPCs shoot out. To get that unlock you need 10 of those projectiles in the air at one time, so ideally you'll have some effect that slows down projectiles, and/or allows you to somehow activate a ton of Pyros or other sources of flares in a short real-time period.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

exquisite tea posted:

As a Rhode Islander I always feel compelled to correct people on this oft-repeated canard: Kingdoms of Amalur was not the game that bankrupted 38 Studios. It was a mostly finished, separate IP that 38 Studios bought and then injected with their own lore to generate financial interest and investment in Project Copernicus, the never-released MMO that did eventually cause the studio to go under. As of 2018 Rhode Island no longer owns KoA, having been bought by THQ Nordic, so I can no longer in good conscience recommend it as I will not be seeing any residuals.

poo poo, THQ bought the state of Rhode Island?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Of course not. Not even THQ would want to own Rhode Island.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

All i really know about amalur is that ken rolston ended up working on it after ES

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Rhode Island: State of the Year Edition.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Veib posted:

My rarest achievement is for having a max level Black Cat in Marvel Heroes (actually all six in the showcase are from Marvel Heroes characters), and now I'm sad that the game is dead
Mine's having over 9,000 achievement points in said game and yes I'm also sad in both senses.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

After ignoring Death Stranding since it came out (for some reason despite being a fan of Metal Gear and Snatcher I felt sick of Kojima after MGS5, a game I liked a lot) I picked it up during the winter sale and finally got around to playing it. I'm really liking it so far.

I just got back to Capital Knot City from the Wind Farm and the gameplay loop feels like it's really coming together, at least the delivery part of it, not sure about the BTs yet. Something about walking across the landscape and making deliveries is really clicking with me. Now that more player structures are appearing and I have a bike I feel like I'm getting an idea what the game is going to be, looking at the map and thinking "there really needs to be a bridge there", grabbing some metal and when I got to the spot I found a half finished bridge another player put down (well, I say half finished. There was the start of a bridge there and no materials had been put in yet). That was a pretty cool moment.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My rarest Steam cheevo is for clearing a level in Overload while only flying backwards. :butt:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Mine's having over 9,000 achievement points in said game and yes I'm also sad in both senses.

Same here. I played an unhealthy amount of Marvel Heroes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how is everyone sorting their achievements by rarity all of a sudden, did i miss a new feature

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
No; the new feature is adding 2 additional rows to it through the points shop.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Oxxidation posted:

how is everyone sorting their achievements by rarity all of a sudden, did i miss a new feature

go into edit your profile, "featured showcase" on the left and it should just be the top option on the drop down

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

The Joe Man posted:

Ugh, that would just show even more Pixel Puzzles Ultimate jigsaw puzzle achievements in my case.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I kinda regret doing it since it looked a lot cleaner before. Doesn't look like there's a way to undo it either.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hell yeah, one of my rarest is this Monolith achievement.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Does the company that made Shadow of Mordor own the license to the Nemesis system? It's something I was sure I would see a lot more games implement but it's only ever been in those two games and none other as far as I know? The closest thing I can think of was the half-assed mercenary system in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
Watch Dogs Legion sorta has one. :shrug:
People you've beaten up can trigger kidnapping an agent that you have to rescue. It also flips it around that family/friends of agents and recruits will spawn in areas and you risk running them down or shooting them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's a real shame that they kind of tanked Shadow of War by making it so toxic with the microtransactions. I was watching a few compilations recently and that game had a lot of creativity and charm in it if you could get past those aspects.

Also goddamn these ads were amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmM5V_-M2s

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fart of Presto posted:

Ugh, that would just show even more Pixel Puzzles Ultimate jigsaw puzzle achievements in my case.

Hey you be proud. My Coloring Pixels achievements are my crowning glory.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Ha, somehow my rarest achievements are Curry Addict in La Mulana which has something to do with eating curry in different situations and Your Biggest Fan in Prey which is from reading the lovely starbender novels in Mooncrash.

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010

Veib posted:

My rarest achievement is for having a max level Black Cat in Marvel Heroes (actually all six in the showcase are from Marvel Heroes characters), and now I'm sad that the game is dead

I'm also sad

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nephthys posted:

It's a real shame that they kind of tanked Shadow of War by making it so toxic with the microtransactions. I was watching a few compilations recently and that game had a lot of creativity and charm in it if you could get past those aspects.

Shadow of War was a fun game until you realize that what you thought was the endgame, since you were basically done with skills and whatnot, was really like the halfway point. Less was definitely more with that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My rarest achievements are all 0.9%ers from Rise of the Tomb Raider's dope and apparently very overlooked Endurance Mode.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Veib posted:

I don't even remember it having achievements. When did they add those?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

goferchan posted:

In a couple edge cases, this is a REALLY long amount of real time, which makes for some funny leaderboards for 100% speed runs

I never knew about this. That's hilarious, thanks. The developers were just using a cute joke about infomercials to add an Easter Egg, but because that item isn't an exemption from the 100% counter, it's now the bane of speed-runners. Here's an article about this guy and his 342 hours if anyone else is curious.

Begemot posted:

Wow, I didn't know that screenshot-based achievements were possible. Was this using the Steam overlay screenshot or does the game have its own screenshot function and you only get the achievement for using that?

My rarest achievement is from "played Dungeon of the Endless during the 'endless day' special event". I think the game was already old by that point so not many people were playing it, but they gave away some special DLC so I booted it up and I guess got a RARE BONUS ACHIEVEMENT too. :whoa: Apparently it is also really rare for anyone to max out the Geology skill tree in Dungeons of Dredmor.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lakitu7 posted:

Wow, I didn't know that screenshot-based achievements were possible. Was this using the Steam overlay screenshot or does the game have its own screenshot function and you only get the achievement for using that?

It uses the steam screenshot feature, I don't know how they made it work but I think Monolith is a goon game so I guess you could track 'em down and ask :v:

e: I accidentally a word

Begemot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 20, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fart of Presto posted:

Someday I'll defeat you by having more of these... someday.....

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EricFate posted:

I don't even remember it having achievements. When did they add those?
The 30th of January 2016 based on my unlock times.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My rarest achievements are all from Grim Dawn's first expansion.

While checking I noticed there's a Completionist Showcase now so I switched to that and put Hades and Dark Souls II on display.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Begemot posted:

Does it have to be exactly 100 bullets?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't showcase what steam thinks the rarest achievements are. I showcase hand-picked achievements I actually feel good about. Or just wanted to fill a little space.

:wiggle:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 20, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

My rarest achievements are all 0.9%ers from Rise of the Tomb Raider's dope and apparently very overlooked Endurance Mode.

The removal of this was one of the reasons I still haven't bothered getting Shadow to the Tomb Raider.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kind of with Clubhouse 51 had a PC version. A collection of classic games sounds quaint and fun right now.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Plenty of websites to fill that niche, depending on what you're looking for

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah but do they come with steam cheevos for my showcase

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kibayasu posted:

Does it have to be exactly 100 bullets?

I don’t think so no. I got it when I tried to take a shot of as many bullets on the screen as possible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

It's still just all Marvel Heroes. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Joe Man posted:

Didn't know this was a thing.

OhFunny posted:

My rarest achievements are all from Grim Dawn's first expansion.

Aaaaaand now I have 3 rows of Grim Dawn achievements. :v: