Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ironically I've often said that I'm tired of cyberpunk media that are singularly oriented around "corporations bad" but I think in truth the problem is that I've mostly been exposed to half-rate cyberpunk media that just cargo-cult that most basic underpinning rule of the style, and then try and play it off like some big narrative twist. Forex, the Syndicate FPS where you spend most of the game blasting away underground resistance movements and gang members and rival corporations and then 80% of the way through they pull the ole "you were working for the bad guys the whole time!!!! :unsmigghh: time 4 revenge!!!!" routine.

Edit: Admittedly I'm also just kind of weary of hopeless capitalist nightmares because I have deep-seated anxieties about that already in the present day. So hearing "capitalism blows, and haha don't think technology will bail you out, it's just gonna make things even worse" is a huge bummer. :/ So in that sense I can understand the appeal of side-stepping all of that and just reveling in "what if everything was 80s neon queer lit and everyone had cool hair and robot arms and we could jack-in to the cybernet".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
After all these years, still disappointed the Syndicate reboot had you betray Eurocorp instead of helping them take over the world.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 19, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
imo the game Cyberpunk 77 isn't set in the genre cyberpunk, it's in whatever The Peripheral by Gibson takes place (specifically the future, spoilers follow)

0. The Whole World Is Funny: this means a fusing of government, corporations, and organized crime
1. Global Warming has been solved: everyone uses renewables for electricity, cars run on alcohol, people eat synthetic food made from insects
2. Becoming a criminal doesn't give you agency: all gangs are coopted by corporations, dangerous solo criminals simply get murdered by "the Police" which is just another gang
3. Dolls in CP77 are Peripherals (although not as widespread), and typically are only used by wealthy people

Then there are on top of that many features that overlap, but those 4 count more imo. Add the story which gives you three possible outcomes (none of them even taking on the system to change it).

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I don't think a change to the system is required to be considered part of the genre, though (talking about the genre as a whole, not just the game). Almost all narratives involve change, yes, but this can be personal change within the characters or their immediate surroundings. They might be stuck in a miserable world, but they'll have either grown in some way so as to better navigate that world, solved an immediate crisis in order to improve things on a smaller scale, or both.

It's one key difference between sci-fi and fantasy, I think. The latter is very much entwined with the concept of epic battles between good and evil, and it's expected that the evil overlord will be defeated and the kingdom liberated at the end of a fantasy novel*. Not so much in sci-fi, and especially cyberpunk, which tends to lend itself far more to personal, introspective character arcs. It's less about beating evil and more often about discovering and holding onto a sense of self despite the forces around you that would suppress it.

*Most fantasy novels, anyway. You do also have stuff like Earthsea which is more character-focused.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cyberpunk is bad because we live there now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, if the game had turned out as good as it promised, folks might all be having a very different conversation right now.

It's this, if the game had come out as normal then it follows that the hype/content machines be reinforcing it with "is Cyberpunk coming back?" articles but since 2077 fell on it's rear end the following ad campaigns are a little confusing.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

It's worth noting that while the tweet is recent, the article it's responding to is from 2018.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Garrand posted:

Civvie finally does it. He's gone and done Half Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7bxHHJsy4

for all the references he makes during his videos for some reason the last one i expected to see was a reference to the music video for Moby's Natural Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6-TiN19uE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lindsay's musical podcast hits Moulin Rouge and indeed they talk a bit (and apologize) covering the same musical with You Know Who You Know Where.

https://twitter.com/musicalsplainin/status/1351547576273649667

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuebot posted:

My hot take on that is because most people are only invested in it on a purely superficial level and tend to actively get angry with it when it tries to say or do anything that isn't "cyberpunk" with "cyberpunk" having been reduced to, basically, that image in that tweet: pink and blue. Maybe a pixel car driving into the horizon if you want to add some sweet retro into the mix. I genuinely don't know where the pink and blue comes from, honestly; a lot of the media I'd consumed over the years that would be considered Cyberpunk didn't really do that, certainly a lot of them had bright neon colours but typically they weren't faded pastels and were often used in contrast with the landscape.
from what i can tell the blue and pink originated in vapourwave where it was intended to represent the lovely plastic pastel futurepast consumerism of the 80s and was carried from there by retrowave where it lost its irony. it then appears in the cyberpunk aesthetic because its music associations built up a cultural cache of being from the past-that-never-was and future-that-never-will-be that most cyberpunk alludes to by being set in the 80s ideas of a dystopian future rather than our own ideas of a dystopian future (both because we have none and are already living in it)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Groovelord Neato posted:

Cyberpunk is about ‘80 and only ever worked as an extrapolation of them

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Shadowrun CRPGs, by the way, are good games. Especially Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sadly the Shadowrun TTRPG's are a mess and are more sleeazy than your normal corp with ripping off freelancers and the guy who got caught embezzling from the company years later is still loving there for some reason.

( The German version of Shadowrun is amazing tho. )

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

A dapper guy who reviews various garbage super cheap alcohols. The gimmick is he's an unemployed sommelier so the reviews are in that style (though they lean much more into jokey territory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6mpxuYig8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7EDDm9cJI

Came here to post this thanks to the wonders of the algorithm. He's hilarious and I've been binging his videos like what he drinks

https://youtu.be/U3r3m2a7hTI

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
You know what movie is cyberpunk? Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

My proof? It's plugged in the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook

"I AM INTERFACED!"

Also, as Mr.BTongue told us almost eight years, cyberpunk is more of offshoot of noir.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm almost done with Jenny Nicholson's Vampire Diaries video and I'm getting outraged over ships for a show I never watched or will watch.

They did Bamon so dirty!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Latest Chrontendo is all kusoge, and it's funny seeing like a chunk of these get the "well, look at all of the positives and neat things they tried, how daring it was and how hard they failed on nearly all of it" treatment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Chad Jihad posted:

A dapper guy who reviews various garbage super cheap alcohols. The gimmick is he's an unemployed sommelier so the reviews are in that style (though they lean much more into jokey territory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6mpxuYig8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7EDDm9cJI

These are amazing :allears:.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On top of the Chief Wiggum clownshow that the development was, Cyberpunk's main failing was not having a singular book to turn into a video game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay this one came out today and needs some appreciation for the classiest set of Taco Bell poop jokes you'll ever see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3jH0wcpDTk

My personal favourite is "I've removed all tripping hazards between my front door and the toilet".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Max Wilco posted:

You know what movie is cyberpunk? Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

My proof? It's plugged in the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook

"I AM INTERFACED!"

Also, as Mr.BTongue told us almost eight years, cyberpunk is more of offshoot of noir.
Will say it I think Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is kind of good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RareAcumen posted:

On top of the Chief Wiggum clownshow that the development was, Cyberpunk's main failing was not having a singular book to turn into a video game.
the license costs meant they had to pick between the rulebook or the adventure book.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they also had the literal writer of the game on call as a consultant so that excuse really means nothing at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cyberpunk was not a terrible well written tabletop tpg. To be fair.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shadowrun remains the signature cyberpunk work to me which is funny given how it's mixed with fantasy.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tbh everyone has been saying that since the original Blade Runner.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wait, doesn't Esperanto have like 300 words? And one of them is for incubus?

Nah, it has well over a hundred thousand words, probably closer to a million, the way the language works you could build 300 words out of twenty once you've learnt its grammar structures. Incubus is public domain so can be found on the net easily, and the only print that survived has english subtitles hard printed onto it, covering and obliterating its original French subs in the process.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Crowbcats cyberpunk video is brutal

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

The game does carefully recreate an adventure scenario from the Cyberpunk rulebook as a Johnny Silverhand flashback that is pretty well done, apparently, so like, there's still opportunities there to pluck narratives out of the tabletop game source.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Garrand posted:

Civvie finally does it. He's gone and done Half Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7bxHHJsy4

One of these days I do wish Civvie would sit down and talk about game engines in detail. I find Gold Source and Source pretty fascinating to being with but after I saw his video about Quake I couldn't stop seeing bits and pieces of the Quake engine in other games.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Filmjoy: Movies with Mikey -Fave 5 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBpFN_CaSJw

He's changing up the formula with his videos.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember that several history-focused creators and channels migrated from Youtube to their own platform, due to being serially demonetized over bullshit. Does anyone know how that worked out, and if it's still up?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sephyr posted:

I remember that several history-focused creators and channels migrated from Youtube to their own platform, due to being serially demonetized over bullshit. Does anyone know how that worked out, and if it's still up?

You're thinking of Nebula. It's still going, so I assume it's doing well enough?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve thought about getting a subscription for Curiosity Stream, which is attached for free. A few of the channels I follow on youtube are doing exclusive content for it, but I’ve been too lazy to sign up and pay the $3.00 or whatever it costs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

the license costs meant they had to pick between the rulebook or the adventure book.

sexpig by night posted:

they also had the literal writer of the game on call as a consultant so that excuse really means nothing at all.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Cyberpunk was not a terrible well written tabletop tpg. To be fair.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The game does carefully recreate an adventure scenario from the Cyberpunk rulebook as a Johnny Silverhand flashback that is pretty well done, apparently, so like, there's still opportunities there to pluck narratives out of the tabletop game source.

I'll be honest, I also know nothing about Cyberpunk. I always thought it was just a setting, like sci-fi or fantasy or post apocalypse. I had no idea there was a tabletop game.

My idea of cyberpunk was Far Cry Blood Dragon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'll be honest, I also know nothing about Cyberpunk. I always thought it was just a setting, like sci-fi or fantasy or post apocalypse. I had no idea there was a tabletop game.

My idea of cyberpunk was Far Cry Blood Dragon.

the game Cyberpunk 2077 is licensed from and based on the Mike Pondsmith-written Cyberpunk rpg series, its most famous edition being its second edition, Cyberpunk 2020 from 1990.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It is a setting, but Cyberpunk 2077 is explicitly based on the creatively named Cyberpunk (later named Cyberpunk 2020), a fairly niche cyberpunk setting tabletop roleplaying game, so it's not really surprising that people confuse the name for a reference to the more widely known setting rather than to the source material.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The video game is based on a tabletop rpg that is named after the genre. The main appeal of the ttrpg compared to others of its genre was how much granularity there was in available gear, so a good portion of available source books were shopping catalogues full of loot. It was only popular in the 90s and even then at about one step more obscure than Shadowrun or the various World of Darkness games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Good work team. :clint: