Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NV modding is elementary, keep adding mods until you hit the theoretical island of stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You know you've gone a bit too far when the roads start turning into teeth

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zeta Acosta posted:

I followed a guide and i have like 200 loving mods. I'll never know whats breaking the game

My advice would be to pare down the number of mods drastically, the Frontier is huge and any number of mods could be causing balance or stability issues. This list has a number of mods you absolutely should not be using since they're known to cause issues, but in general I'd reduce your modlist down to a much smaller and more manageable set.

Light Gun Man posted:

Once when I was playing a heavily-modded TTW game all the tree branches turned into eyes, that was fun

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 20, 2021

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Anyone know how to use this tool to bulk edit nif files for asurah/hitmans ironsights animations? To get compatibility you have to add a node to each nif file, which is easy to do manually but not really viable when you got hundreds of guns https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67829

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Zeta Acosta posted:

I followed a guide and i have like 200 loving mods. I'll never know whats breaking the game

ya you should do a fresh install for The Frontier, its loving huge and can/will conflict with a ton of poo poo

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Light Gun Man posted:

New Vegas, body horror edition sounds kinda fun to walk around in for a few minutes though. At least until you see the mole rat boob doorknobs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

New Vegas, body horror edition sounds kinda fun to walk around in for a few minutes though. At least until you see the mole rat boob doorknobs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/698670/Scorn/

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Oh horrors, I was being cautious about the politics of the mod that locks a third of its content behind joining the "rape and slavery rock" faction.

None of them are as famous as the nazi one.
It sucks for that guy that he has the same name as a famous neo nazi, I would probably make sure my middle name or initial was featured in everything public about me.

There's a reason actor Michael B Jordan is always referred to as Michael B Jordan.

Idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
everyone shut up because this is way more important

the best mod ever has been released

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70898

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Skwirl posted:

Oh horrors, I was being cautious about the politics of the mod that locks a third of its content behind joining the "rape and slavery rock" faction.

It sucks for that guy that he has the same name as a famous neo nazi, I would probably make sure my middle name or initial was featured in everything public about me.

There's a reason actor Michael B Jordan is always referred to as Michael B Jordan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

Seconding this, and I'll do the probes myself. So stop dragging this out unless you want Richard Spencer's face on your rap sheet. Talk about Fallout: New Vegas instead. For example,

Desperately trying to clamp down on it rather than just letting people post lol is kinda counterproductive if you actually want people to move on about it though, don't you think?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

You mod FNV to improve an already great game, you mod F4 to try to turn it into a good game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Log off, you are terminally online.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

legit question, is there an easy way to start a new game file as johnny fiveaces without having to painstakingly recreate his wonderful face in the chargen menu

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make him as a custom race in GECK and then pick that when you start? Long and painstaking the first time around but then you can use him for every playthrough afterward.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think he'd need to make a custom race?

If Johnny is part of the default Caucasian race, they should just have to check the box that says "Is Chargen Preset" or whatever. Then it would be one of the available preset faces at character creation.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hobo on Fire posted:

Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think he'd need to make a custom race?

If Johnny is part of the default Caucasian race, they should just have to check the box that says "Is Chargen Preset" or whatever. Then it would be one of the available preset faces at character creation.

According to my quick google search this is probably the easiest route. Will probably only take a couple of minutes.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I downloaded the Sarah Weintraub companion mod beause it seemed interesting. Has some bugs but it seemed like waiting and loading the mod last fixed them (for now). Also, Sarah Weintraub has one mean Caravan deck.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is it true you once coded a vaccine into Space Station 13 that gave people 200brain damage and labelled the effects "Causing autism"?

lmao

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Skwirl posted:

Has there been a finished one since Morroblivion? Which is still in Beta.

OpenMW exists and is good

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

permaban iamagoofball

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Related to the thread, is New Vegas worth it for the modding if I already I have Fallout 4?

modding new vegas is about playing new vegas. modding fallout 4 is about not playing fallout 4 lol

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Why do people seem so confident that F4NV is coming out? I remember so many enhanced remake in another engine mods and pretty much none of them came out. FNV had multiple FO1/2 remake mods in production at one point or another. Does the F4NV team just really have its poo poo together?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They have shown impressive advancement so far, but I'm not *confident* they will release, I give them 50/50.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Why do people seem so confident that F4NV is coming out? I remember so many enhanced remake in another engine mods and pretty much none of them came out. FNV had multiple FO1/2 remake mods in production at one point or another. Does the F4NV team just really have its poo poo together?

It's a lot harder for mod developers to do a fake "vertical slice" trailer because they don't have the resources of a big publisher. A lot of the stillborn engine remake mods have trailers that only show off the worldspace and vistas because the mapmaking is the easy part. Rigging new animations, making new gameplay functions is trickier and the F4NV team has shown off their dialogue and level up mechanics just as much as they've shown off vistas and locations. The fall preview videos they did a few months ago were really impressive.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's never a certain thing - I've seen KS games with really transparent and seemingly competent direction fade into the ether - but the only thing that really concerns me about F4NV is the preponderance of audio lines they'll need to rerecord.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's never a certain thing - I've seen KS games with really transparent and seemingly competent direction fade into the ether - but the only thing that really concerns me about F4NV is the preponderance of audio lines they'll need to rerecord.

Just do everything as Phoenix Wright-style subtitled beeps and boops IMO

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Basic Chunnel posted:

A group of VA's have already done most of the recording for them already with a recent FNV mod (though a few NPC's should retain their original dialogue, gently caress the creative tweaks they did).

So that isn't a huge hurdle aside from some minor tweaks for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

A group of VA's have already done most of the recording for them already with a recent FNV mod (though a few NPC's should retain their original dialogue, gently caress the creative tweaks they did).

So that isn't a huge hurdle aside from some minor tweaks for them.

Wait F4NV is using the Brave New World recordings? gently caress, I dont need their terrible Chavez voice.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait F4NV is using the Brave New World recordings? gently caress, I dont need their terrible Chavez voice.

I think they have to after that C&D they got. It was that or hire a whole other set of VAs.

VVV Oh nice

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 20, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't know where people are getting this from. They've already started recording with their own actors and mimicking the original performance, I doubt they'd use Brave New World.

Sorry, I meant, OY PUTO IT'S A BRAVE NEW PUTA MADRE WORLD.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean if they used some of the voices from Interesting NPCs I'd be cool with that.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its legal to just import the original voice files providing you own a copy of the game but idk if you'd need some kind of software to do that

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dongicus posted:

its legal to just import the original voice files providing you own a copy of the game but idk if you'd need some kind of software to do that

My understanding of the situation is Fallout 4 uses a different format for audio files, so while TTW was able to get away with importing the Fallout 3 files into New Vegas unchanged, converting the files into the new format goes against the ToS.

There will almost certainly be a tool that will allow you to convert and use the OG audio files yourself when the mod releases, but it won't be packaged with the mod or allowed to circulate openly.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My understanding of the situation is Fallout 4 uses a different format for audio files, so while TTW was able to get away with importing the Fallout 3 files into New Vegas unchanged, converting the files into the new format goes against the ToS.

There will almost certainly be a tool that will allow you to convert and use the OG audio files yourself when the mod releases, but it won't be packaged with the mod or allowed to circulate openly.

It's not so much the conversion itself as that it would be converted and then redistributed by the mod makers which breaks copyright. Bethesda doesn't actually own these audio recordings, they are licensed to be used with the game and thus can't give the mod makers power to redistribute the files. The mod makers don't want to distribute the game with no voiced dialogue and just a wink wink nudge nudge tool conversion or whatever so redoing the audio themselves is where that lands them.

For most Bethesda games I believe, as a general rule, mods aren't allowed to package any actual assets from the original game. Which, as you mentioned, is why TTW just takes the assets from an existing Fallout 3 installation. They aren't actually packaged with the mod, the assets have to already be installed on your computer.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's both technically feasible and legal to have an automated tool that takes your local F:NV install. Grabs the audio files from it. And repackages them so FO4 can use them. There are tools on the nexus (combined with Bethesda's own toolsets) that do the separate parts of that process.
As long as you're not distributing files, you're not doing anything against the EULA.

The big rule is that you don't contact Bethesda about your mod that ports content from one game to another. As long you don't distribute any actual files, Bethesda doesn't care and ignores you. But if you contact them, they'll send a scary cease & desist letter because they don't want to be seen condoning or supporting licensed audio files being used outside the scope of that license. The team that was porting FO3 contacted Bethesda. They got that C&D letter and got scared. Which in turned, scared the F:NV port team into rerecording all the dialogue.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean if they used some of the voices from Interesting NPCs I'd be cool with that.

That is what I was getting it. Like 90% of that mod is fine, but seeing as they themselves are recording their own acting that is pretty sweet.

I mean I feel the F4NV might make it simply because this games community has a burning passion.

Insert that quote here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Re-recording the original script with new voice actors is no less a copyright problem but good luck to them anyway :shrug:

Raygereio posted:

It's both technically feasible and legal to have an automated tool that takes your local F:NV install. Grabs the audio files from it. And repackages them so FO4 can use them. There are tools on the nexus (combined with Bethesda's own toolsets) that do the separate parts of that process.
As long as you're not distributing files, you're not doing anything against the EULA.

Yeah this would probably be a lot less risky.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 20, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Re-recording the original script with new voice actors is no less a copyright problem but good luck to them anyway :shrug:

Yeah this would probably be a lot less risky.

Honestly I bet Matthew Perry would have no issue doing it for him, hell he'd ad-lib more Benny stuff if he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/WendySnowRadish/status/1351986469771096064