Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I just picked up some Makers Mark cask strength 20-03 bottling on sale for $36 and god drat this is excellent. So much vanilla and marshmallow. I had to go back and grab another bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
PSA to check your liquor stores if you haven't; I can't find a bottle of Talisker 10 around here for under $75, but lots of places still have gift sets leftover from the holidays. I got a three-pack of 200ml bottles of Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, and Clynelish 14 for $50. Talisker 10 is my favorite, but I've been wanting to try the last two and it's been impossible to do tastings or go to a bar in COVID-land. Trip report: They're not as good as Talisker, though since my partner hates the smell of Talisker, I can drink the others and still have her stand to be near me. My local place still has bottles of the Game of Thrones Talisker, and I might pick it up as a cheaper option. Any reason not to? Non-blended whisky is getting expensive.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
One of our Festival Foods here has Talisker for $40. I may have quite a few bottles stocked up.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

PSA to check your liquor stores if you haven't; I can't find a bottle of Talisker 10 around here for under $75, but lots of places still have gift sets leftover from the holidays. I got a three-pack of 200ml bottles of Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, and Clynelish 14 for $50.

There's still some of those Classic Malts collections floating around Ohio. Their original $90ish price tag was pretty crap, but they've been on sale for $39 for a few months now. Doing the math compared to the full bottle prices, they're 22% cheaper per unit than their full bottle counterparts (in Ohio, at least). I actually enjoyed the Caol Ila 12 and Clynelish 14 a good bit more than the Talisker 10, but my girlfriend was the opposite, so I plan to pick up a couple more of those sets. Sucks that the other set with Lagavulin 16 is also saddled with Cragganmore 12.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Won Pappy 12 in our state lottery! :toot:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Wow congrats! I’d absolutely love to get my hands on a bottle.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

OH off hand? I'm waiting for their drawing results.

Also, congrats!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Congrats!

You can probably trade that sucker for a George T Stagg (and maybe more) if thats your thing.

Also, it's a Van Winkle 12, "Pappy" starts at the 15.
:goonsay:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats!

You can probably trade that sucker for a George T Stagg (and maybe more) if thats your thing.

Also, it's a Van Winkle 12, "Pappy" starts at the 15.
:goonsay:

Great idea, unless you’re a total wheated bourbon junkie, I’d take GTS over lot B or ORVW any day of the week!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DoctaFun posted:

Great idea, unless you’re a total wheated bourbon junkie, I’d take GTS over lot B or ORVW any day of the week!

Yeah you could probably get at least a GTS + a Weller 107 for a Lot B

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

OH off hand? I'm waiting for their drawing results.

Also, congrats!!!

PA, so next door!

I've had the 15 and 20 before. Never had the 12. Wasn't thinking of trading it, but you guys have me thinking, since I have a bottle of Weller 12.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Lot B is better than Pappy 15, but not my much. 20 is perfect, 23y is overdone.

Weller 12 tastes just like Lot B but it finishes like it falls off a cliff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any opinions on George Remus Repeal Reserve? Store has it for $75 and it looks like that's under MSRP. I do like the normal bottle of George Remus quite a lot.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Casu Marzu posted:

Any opinions on George Remus Repeal Reserve? Store has it for $75 and it looks like that's under MSRP. I do like the normal bottle of George Remus quite a lot.

A lot of pretty favorable reviews of batch IV on r/bourbon, but I haven’t tried it myself.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

I've never had it, but I do know that if you like the regular Remus, absolutely grab it. Remus is one brand I'd love to see distributed around here
It's 12 year MGP and you can really never go wrong with that, and they're bottling it themselves for a change

I just got a 13 year Widow Jane at 99 proof for $95 and it's delicious and worth the price (which is just a single barrel MGP with it's diluting water from New York). I'd wager that Remus Repeal is just as good, perhaps better than some of those picks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, bottle was gone by the time I got back in, but they might have more coming in a couple weeks.

Is there a certain way you're supposed to smell whiskey? I've done the whole swirl in a snifter or glencairn and stick my nose all up in there and I can never detect much more than ethanol.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp, bottle was gone by the time I got back in, but they might have more coming in a couple weeks.

Is there a certain way you're supposed to smell whiskey? I've done the whole swirl in a snifter or glencairn and stick my nose all up in there and I can never detect much more than ethanol.

Absolute best tip for this, breathe in slightly with your mouth at the same time! You should get almost no ethanol that way, then, as you keep drinking just try to do that less and less(it becomes easier when there’s a smaller amount of whisky in the glass).

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
^^^^^^^^^^

I don't usually stick my nose right into the glass and I don't swirl. That'll give you more ethanol too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Drink your whiskey from a wine glass!

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If you are used to smelling wine, coffee, etc. you need to step back, both literally and figuratively.

If you just go stuffing your nose in and inhaling deeply, you are only going to get ethanol burn in your nostrils: try wafting it from a few inches away.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

In addition to what the others are saying, you could just let it sit for a bit to let some of the alcohol to begin to evaporate, and/or dilute it with water. Both'll really let the whisky settle given time/volume.

Mind, I go for peated in a glencairn and looove getting a close deep smell when first poured so ymmv.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Casu Marzu posted:

Step one is fling the contents of the glass onto the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlbh9ZvMJ8s

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hOxBSG4fW7tYbNuLq-R8kU8Kx9z8Bva

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Step one is fling the contents of the glass onto the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlbh9ZvMJ8s

:lol: I remember him from a Scotch documentary on Hulu and goddamn the size of that nose

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: I remember him from a Scotch documentary on Hulu and goddamn the size of that nose

His nickname is "The Nose" so

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I loving love this playlist. I found it forever ago and it allowed me to really develop an ear for the pronunciations in general, beyond the ones he covers.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scored a bottle of the George Remus Repeal Reserve Series IV at another place for only $65 :homebrew:

This is the first actual ~~~fancy~~~ bourbon I've bought and goddamn is this good. I thought the regular George Remus was a pretty good bottle, but this is fantastic. At MSRP this would have been worth it for sure, for $65? I kinda wanna go back and buy the rest of the shelf.

quote:

Hitting shelves during National Bourbon Month in September, the 2020 limited edition of Remus Repeal Reserve features layers of rich caramel, candied fruit, spice, and toasted oak. The finish offers baking spices and oak, as the rye lingers slightly longer.

I think this is the first bourbon I can actually taste and smell everything from the distillery notes.

Edit: I think this is the easiest sipping 100 proof bourbon I've had.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 22, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Someone just posted a bottle of Blue Spot CS Irish whisky on the local secondary for $200. I don't know if this is a premature call but it looks like Irish is about to take off 🙄

To be fair, that's typical pricing for secondary stuff, double MSRP
I picked up a bottle for $65 yesterday - which is about as good a deal as DoctaFun's Redbreast CS was, but I saw it at a few more stores later in the day too for $100-110

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I don't understand. It's the youngest in their lineup. Is the premium pricing due to the cask strength?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Anyone ever tried Sortilege?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't understand. It's the youngest in their lineup. Is the premium pricing due to the cask strength?

Its due to availability more than anything.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Cask strength and "hard to get" currently at least, who knows if that will change
My understanding is it is supposed to be priced at the same level as yellow

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Our store got New Riff Bourbon & Rye, in single barrel variants too. Which bottle was the one that people really liked in this thread?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Odd Mutant posted:

Our store got New Riff Bourbon & Rye, in single barrel variants too. Which bottle was the one that people really liked in this thread?
I have a bottle of the single barrel bourbon and really enjoy it - haven't opened the single barrel rye but I just got one too
I've heard good things about both rye variants

Their mashbills for both the bourbon and rye are very high rye - the bourbon is 65 corn 30 rye 5 malted barley and the rye is 95 rye 5 malted rye

I saw a bunch of stores in CT getting it in this week, which is an easier drive for me than NH to grab replacement bottles of it now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know if I blacked out and poured a bunch of water into my FRSB but it tastes much worse than my FRSiB now that both bottles have bene open for over a month.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I got my bottle of the New Riff Maltster (wheated bourbon mashbill that includes some malted wheat).

It's solid and very drinkable, and quite distinguishable from their standard high rye bourbon (sweeter, no spice), but at five years it's still showing a bit of youth. I am really excited about where they will be in a few years now. Hopefully they are keeping ample stock though to peak maturity (which is, IMO, 8-12 years for Kentucky bourbon, maybe a hair less for rye).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Picked up the Kirkland signature 23 year old scotch, sherry finish. Heard decent things, and it’s just tough to turn down for $80.

It’s 92 proof too! So not too watered down.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

46% is a very decent strength for scotch, especially for a supermarket brand.

Does it state if it's been chillfiltered or caramel colored?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Onna similar note; my cleaning lady, bless her heart she is such a sweet person, saw that I had been boarding whisk(e)y for the past year or so and got me a gift of a "whiskies of the world" sample pack. They're 5cl sample bottles of Irish, Canadian, Scotch and Kentucky whisk(e)y. I think it's from the German Lidl.

I really do appreciate the thought but they are each of them the vilest, most horrible rot gut drams of anything I've ever tasted. It's quite something, actually kind of fun.

Now, one thing I've noticed is that all of them contain caramel coloring. At least that's what each of the labels say, because that's something that is required by law to put on the label in Germany.

Including the Kentucky whiskey, which is a 5 year old straight kentucky bourbon. Now I find that to be quite odd because I didn't think it was allowed to put caramel coloring in straight whiskey.

I guess those laws don't apply outside of the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

46% is a very decent strength for scotch, especially for a supermarket brand.

Does it state if it's been chillfiltered or caramel colored?

I don’t think it specifies either of those, I’ll have to check. It’s one of the darkest whiskies in my collection, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it has some coloring.