Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Absolutely ridiculous that the only teams doing anything this off-season are the Mets, Padres, and Blue Jays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Um excuse me did you miss the Nats getting Josh Bell and Jon Lester???

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I too have just decided that cheating is good and cool

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1351711338301693952

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The trash can bangs really worked out swimmingly for Jim Crane. He got his franchise-first championship and the cash windfall that provides, then when the scandal came out it provided him a perfect excuse to not extend all the plyers from that run. Let them scatter to the wind to diffuse the fan anger over it and simultaneously save ol' Jim some payroll money.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

The trash can bangs really worked out swimmingly for Jim Crane. He got his franchise-first championship and the cash windfall that provides, then when the scandal came out it provided him a perfect excuse to not extend all the plyers from that run. Let them scatter to the wind to diffuse the fan anger over it and simultaneously save ol' Jim some payroll money.

He just wishes the scandal had come along before he extended Altuve

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Absolutely ridiculous that the only teams doing anything this off-season are the Mets, Padres, and Blue Jays

I’d like to think the Braves will add one more bat but maybe they’ll just pack it in too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Please trade Grichuk now thank you!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like the Mariners will spend money... next year.

Theres still too many holes and questions on the roster. Kelenic should graduate this year (or they wait till next year depending on not having a minor league season hurt his development), as should Logan Gilbert. Evan White needs to prove he's actually worth the major league contract he got. We still don't have an established 2B, Kyle Seager is soon to be a FA, and Crawford is an all glove small bat SS.

At least the Astros are leaking.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

He just wishes the scandal had come along before he extended Altuve
:tinfoil: the buzzer story was planted by Crane to prime fans for a salary dump trade later

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

that is a wild top 4 in the jays' lineup. i guess you go...

biggio
bichette
springer
vlad

that's a lot of fun

zero chance springer doesn't lead off, especially with a young lineup.

also apparently everyone jumped the gun on brantley, nothing is signed yet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

:tinfoil: the buzzer story was planted by Crane to prime fans for a salary dump trade later

The thing after the walkoff against Chapman seems pretty damning tbh even though I know you're joking

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest the breakup of that team feels to me like its just gonna make it worse for that core of Altuve, Bregman, and Correa. They were kind of the focus of things anyway through their own actions and now the less objectionable guys are all leaving so it feels like it lines up for a more focused taunting.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
If the Angels refuse to get better then I'm glad the Astros are determined to get worse

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
baseball is dead once again

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Quintana is the exact kind of innings eating pitcher a good team needs to round out the back of the rotation. Unfortunately for the Angels he will slot in at number 2 behind the ghost of Shohei Ohtani and in front of a guy who has somehow had Tommy John surgery every year for the past ten years.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Quintana is the exact kind of innings eating pitcher a good team needs to round out the back of the rotation. Unfortunately for the Angels he will slot in at number 2 behind the ghost of Shohei Ohtani and in front of a guy who has somehow had Tommy John surgery every year for the past ten years.

I'm not completely down on the Quintana signing because I do think he's been a bit better than his basic stats show recently but man this has been the Angels MO for pitchers for like half a decade at this point. Sign a reclamation guy to a low risk deal and hope it works out. Teheran was supposed to be your league average starter that was basically being paid to just eat innings last year and I bought into that hook, line and sinker.

They're just such a unique mess of no pitching at all, little to no trade chips to offer for pitching (combined with every GM knowing how desperately they need it) and terrible contracts, though the contracts should offer some relief to Arte's wallet over the next season or two when Pujols and Upton come off the books

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

baseball is dead once again

I've been real quiet in this thread just because, man, I got no passion or excitement for baseball. Last season was such a weird * and the future is still so uncertain and I dunno. I'm just totally out of it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

If the Angels refuse to get better then I'm glad the Astros are determined to get worse

We all float around .500 down here...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ZiPS projections and Baseball Musings say the following lineup for the Blue Jays would average 5.5 runs per game, which would be the third-best in MLB:

1. Springer CF
2. Guerrero 3B
3. Biggio 3B
4. Bichette SS
5. Tellez 1B
6. Gurriel OF/DH
7. Brantley LF
8. Hernandez OF/DH
9. Kirk C

There are a lot of ways to shuffle around this lineup and expect similar production, so it might depend on where the players feel comfortable. There's also plenty of room to trade one of Gurriel or Hernandez.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i swear to god if the Dodgers biggest offseason move is signing Trever loving Bauer

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1351981834595430400

:commissar:

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Johnny Bravo posted:

I'm not completely down on the Quintana signing because I do think he's been a bit better than his basic stats show recently but man this has been the Angels MO for pitchers for like half a decade at this point. Sign a reclamation guy to a low risk deal and hope it works out. Teheran was supposed to be your league average starter that was basically being paid to just eat innings last year and I bought into that hook, line and sinker.

This is very much like the Teheran signing in that its a good move in the abstract that just has entirely too much weight on it succeeding to feel good about it. They are the kind of signings you pair with a bigger move to stabilize the rotation. But there is no bigger move. Just the idle hope that 170-180 innings of adequacy can make up for a graveyard of wrecked pitchers and Mike Trout's playoff ambitions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh right, I'm terrified Trevor Bauer might be a Yankee. Maybe that's why I'm so cold on it all. I'm protecting myself.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

STAC Goat posted:

Oh right, I'm terrified Trevor Bauer might be a Yankee. Maybe that's why I'm so cold on it all. I'm protecting myself.

Huh that's an interesting mix of media market and guy who never stops talking poo poo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chamale posted:

ZiPS projections and Baseball Musings say the following lineup for the Blue Jays would average 5.5 runs per game, which would be the third-best in MLB:

1. Springer CF
2. Guerrero 3B
3. Biggio 3B
4. Bichette SS
5. Tellez 1B
6. Gurriel OF/DH
7. Brantley LF
8. Hernandez OF/DH
9. Kirk C

There are a lot of ways to shuffle around this lineup and expect similar production, so it might depend on where the players feel comfortable. There's also plenty of room to trade one of Gurriel or Hernandez.

I honestly won't be surprised when the Jays trade for Suarez and Sonny Gray cause I really don't see Vlad Jr. sticking at 3B and there's too many DH type players now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pigz posted:

Huh that's an interesting mix of media market and guy who never stops talking poo poo.

My sincere hope is that someone sat in a room and worked out his stats and the reason why you'd make him and offer and then someone else worked out the pr cost of him talking to NY media.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Primae noctis menage a trois.
Does anyone do a nice display for standings using helmets/mini-helmets?

I thought it would be cool to use some space in my basement to set something like that up, but found the only retail version I could find is small and not that great looking

https://www.rawlings.com/product/01...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If anyone has put one together using separate parts (helmets and separate shelves) I'd love to find out more. Even if it is just for division standings.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

bawfuls posted:

i swear to god if the Dodgers biggest offseason move is signing Trever loving Bauer

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1351981834595430400

:commissar:

Trevor Bauer is a good signing if you can ignore his general chuddiness.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i can not ignore it, gently caress him

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I heard somewhere (a podcast) that the MLB is considering rule where each team gets a DH until the starting pitcher is removed from the game, has anyone else heard this?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, the Jays are not getting Brantley. This offseason sucks again!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Zero chance. They aren't spending any more money and Cole hates him.

Doesn't 16m per seem like a lot for Brantley? Good player but thats a lot in this market.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Slimy Hog posted:

I heard somewhere (a podcast) that the MLB is considering rule where each team gets a DH until the starting pitcher is removed from the game, has anyone else heard this?

I would love this tbh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Twin Cinema posted:

So, the Jays are not getting Brantley. This offseason sucks again!

Astros are bringing back Brantley

11th hour stuff

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man that Quintana trade looks especially bad now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Slimy Hog posted:

I've heard it quoted a couple places but I don't understand what exactly it's supposed to do or address aside from a half-hearted attempt to placate the NO DH EVER crowd when it's super obvious the league wants AL rules for everyone. If your starter gets shelled for 6 runs in the first and you pull him for a bullpen day, how does not having say, Nelson Cruz, make the game more interesting? Sure hope they can catch up now that we've taken away one of their best hitters.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'd take Bauer on the Giants but not for $15OM+, he's not worth that. And judging by the Springer and Hendricks contracts, he's gonna get that much or more. 25 teams ain't trying but the other 5 are bidding against each other, it feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Man that Quintana trade looks especially bad now.

My favorite part is that a lot of fans defended it on the grounds that okay yeah, maybe Quintana wasn't that fantastic overall for the Cubs, but his contract was so good that Theo had the flexibility to go out and sign Darvish!

...And then we salary dumped Darvish for some paper clips and a subway coupon that SD had in their pockets.

Artix posted:

I've heard it quoted a couple places but I don't understand what exactly it's supposed to do or address aside from a half-hearted attempt to placate the NO DH EVER crowd when it's super obvious the league wants AL rules for everyone. If your starter gets shelled for 6 runs in the first and you pull him for a bullpen day, how does not having say, Nelson Cruz, make the game more interesting? Sure hope they can catch up now that we've taken away one of their best hitters.

It's a worthless half-measure that doesn't really make anybody happy and also doesn't really address the problem of there being so many pitching changes late in game, ie Manfred.txt