Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

work shut down for the christmas-new years week, I took the preceding week off, I have no idea how anything went because I refuse to open teams :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We had the last two weeks declared meetings-free. That's going to be tough to come back from.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally I took every Friday off for November and December which I enjoyed mightily.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Every year, my company decides to move all the "floating" holidays to the week between Christmas and New Year's, then not give us New Year's Eve off, so everybody has to use some sort of paid leave or take it unpaid. "Fortunately", since we're all on 10% furlough, we can all just take that day as our furlough day for the pay period.

There was a time, years ago, were I might have had the urge to peek at my emails during a break like this, but an added benefit of two-factor authentication is that it's just obnoxious enough to log in that it quashed any lingering desire to do so.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We had fridays off over the summer and I also loved it, I need to figure out how I can get down to four-day weeks forever. However I'm not working 4 10s... I think ideally I want to work four sixes. Gonna be tough to pitch that.

I really like my job but I really don't want to go back to work tomorrow, it just takes up so much of my time.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

smackfu posted:

Personally I took every Friday off for November and December which I enjoyed mightily.

Same. Did the math and figured out exactly which week I could start doing that and still keep max banked time. Of one whole week 🙄, but if I don't change jobs that means I could take five weeks this year.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At my current employer, more than one engineering manager who has written software central to our business has said "I'm terrible at writing documentation, so just ask me whatever you want and write that down" instead of writing documentation. They act like this is a friendly offer and not shirking off a serious duty.

This is totally unacceptable, right? Or am I just upright? For what it's worth, all of my internal repos have a readme that at least describes what a tool does, how to build it, and gives a few examples.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
call them out in a public slack channel and point them to a repo with docs and ask if they can copy the same format.

gently caress that devs who do half their job should never get promoted above mid. reminds me of the one “senior” dev we have on our team who does 0 PR review

asur
Dec 28, 2012
That's not acceptable, but calling out a manager who is presumably higher level than you is a really dumb career move in most circumstances.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They probably don't care and who can blame them?

I only have effort and care in my bones for my own personal side project and I doubt that will change sometime in the future.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
I feel this depends a bit on what documentation you are asking for and if you are working on the same project. Writing documentation is not the responsibility of a single person. But yes, "I'm bad at it" is a terrible excuse.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

okay yeah “calling him out” was a bad choice of words, but what i mean is point to an internal repo with good docs and ask if the team can improve the undocumented stuff with docs you worked on as an example.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Sounds like the easiest way forward is to ask them “okay, can you send me build instructions and an example call?” and copy/paste that in yourself :shrug: (and if they say you should be able to work it out, feign stupidity.) Managers get paid a premium for doing the annoying task of policing other people’s behaviour, I don’t, so I try not to bother myself with it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/hillelogram/status/1351206123861405702

This is part 1 of 3, so don't expect the Final Answer here. But it's still interesting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/shituserstories/status/1351309000273485824

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

relatable

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

my team lead:

"I don't like code comments. I try to make all my code self documenting"

also my team lead:

awesome thanks :thumbsup:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I do the opposite and write inscrutable code that is heavily commented

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I only write the comments, someone else can fill in the code

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My comments live on my pull requests, so as soon as we squash and merge, they disappear forever.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

i want to quit so badly

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grump posted:

i want to quit so badly

Do you have family? If not, quit and become a beach bum.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

What if we made a language where you could like, write the code in comment style and it would just work? I think that would be pretty cool.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Pedestrian Xing posted:

What if we made a language where you could like, write the code in comment style and it would just work? I think that would be pretty cool.

Ah, a Donald Knuth parachute account

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/hillelogram/status/1351952681661853699

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Variable (and method, class, etc.) names are comments.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

That's why you minifi all of your code before you commit it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

True. So are logging statements!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

good account, very relatable https://twitter.com/shituserstories/status/1351929988891738113

we went a step further this month and sent out this question to employees via the internal feedback app

why on earth would i recommend our products to my colleagues, who work at the same company, producing said product (double lol because we don't dogfood poo poo).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/mutablejoe/status/1352263592108847104

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

STOP THE SLOC COUNT!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/hillelogram/status/1352651071248883714

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Can't wait to drive a properly disrupted car on roads and bridges that have been been streamlined.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Grump posted:

my team lead:

also my team lead:

We have a team culture in one of the teams I work with where every "LGTM" is also accompanied by the reviewer summarizing the changes they read. It was intended to help communicate that your peers actually read your stuff and understand it, and that it actually does look good and wasn't rubberstamped. As a side effect, it is an extreme disincentive for poo poo like this

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 23, 2021

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I started applying last night. at this point, our team is so hosed. new hires are learning from out team lead / lazier older hires who don’t make time for PR review other than maybe once a week. Some of the older highers haven’t improved their code after a year of working here.

It’s a really popular loving app too, but I just want to work with people who have some accountability.

oh and one guy didn’t commit code or do PR review for *30 days* and is still employed lmfao

e: this is the first time ever I’ve wanted to quit because of a bad team, not a bad company / leadership. it feels lovely

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Grump posted:

I started applying last night. at this point, our team is so hosed. new hires are learning from out team lead / lazier older hires who don’t make time for PR review other than maybe once a week. Some of the older highers haven’t improved their code after a year of working here.

It’s a really popular loving app too, but I just want to work with people who have some accountability.

oh and one guy didn’t commit code or do PR review for *30 days* and is still employed lmfao

e: this is the first time ever I’ve wanted to quit because of a bad team, not a bad company / leadership. it feels lovely
Do you have some kind of matrixed TL/EM model, or does the TL sit informally between you and an EM for the team? Is the TL's manager also your manager?

Leaving for greener pastures isn't a bad idea, but if you like the company and believe in the leadership beyond their extreme distraction from important issues, here are some levers you can try to work, depending on your personal style:

• Take the temperature of nearly mid-level leadership on whether they think these are acceptable habits, and let them ask why you're asking these questions
  • Directly call out management's complete inattention to developer velocity or the flow of work from planned to completed
  • Take the temperature of the new hires, who are probably also pissed off, but either a) new and afraid to speak up or b) overly open to this approach maybe being optimal for the team despite not making sense to them
  • Look for internal opportunities to change teams within the company
  • Become an unbearable nag on any story during standup that hasn't shipped because it's waiting on code review
  • Become an unbearable nag on any teammate who has open code reviews for an unacceptable length of time

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

We have a team culture in one of the teams I work with where every "LGTM" is also accompanied by the reviewer summarizing the changes they read. It was intended to help communicate that your peers actually read your stuff and understand it, and that it actually does look good and wasn't rubberstamped. As a side effect, it is an extreme disincentive for poo poo like this

This is not a bad idea and I may steal it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Grump posted:

One of my teams just started a new process. Any story in code review is a Priority 0 issue discussed at the start of stand up before any other business as that means the team is blocked.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Grump posted:

my team lead:

also my team lead:

My team lead says something similar, because apparently all comments get outdated. Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, as any comments in our code certainly are now.

Basically, it just means that people have to ask about poo poo in pull requests, and once those get merged that poo poo be lost to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I finished my project before Christmas, as did a lot of other people at work, and leadership, I dunno, forgot to plan what we would be doing once we came back for new years. So, we've been twiddling our thumbs for weeks now. I am not complaining about being paid to sit on my rear end, but it's really unprofessional and boring. I don't get how that's allowed to happen.

I am pretty far in a hiring process at this other place, hopefully that goes well.