Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WildZeo posted:

I'm not the best at painting but I really enjoy doing conversions, I've had a Noise marine army idea in my head for ages. It's taken me about a year but I've finally almost finished the center pieces (one more armiger in progress). Still in the middle of converting a bunch of Primaris noise marines to go with it. I might actually finish this this year.

Lots of cleaning up to do with the paint jobs, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. There's even a Bluetooth speaker inside the knight.

Well, gently caress me running, thats amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Got one or two touchups to do, then gloss varnish and an oil wash on panel lines and stuff, but I’m kinda happy with this bike chaplain

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

WildZeo posted:

I'm not the best at painting but I really enjoy doing conversions, I've had a Noise marine army idea in my head for ages. It's taken me about a year but I've finally almost finished the center pieces (one more armiger in progress). Still in the middle of converting a bunch of Primaris noise marines to go with it. I might actually finish this this year.

Lots of cleaning up to do with the paint jobs, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. There's even a Bluetooth speaker inside the knight.

Hmmmm I feel like this rules really hard.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

TotalHell posted:

Hmmmm I feel like this rules really hard.

:hmmyes:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

WildZeo posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. Is that an actual mini guitar neck or did you scratch build all of that?

WildZeo
Feb 28, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. Is that an actual mini guitar neck or did you scratch build all of that?

It's made of sprue and greenstuff.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

WildZeo posted:

Yessssssssssssssssss

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Also as a rookie with contrast paints, don’t the Citadel ones need a special primer or something to work right? Or is that bullshit?

No special primer, no. But since contrast paints are more translucent than regular acrylic paints, the colour of primer you use affects how the contrast paint turns out. Here is a giant image of someone applying each contrast paint over different (Citadel) primers. https://imgur.com/gallery/mb5jHNg

So Corax is a pure white, wraithbone is a warm white (ivory), Grey Seer is a pretty cool grey, leadbelcher is a metallic. You can substitute any of those with a primer of your choosing, just so long as you understand that if you want a cooler version of the contrast paint, choose a pure white or a grey, etc. A lot of contrast paints don't really show up over black so make sure you're doing at least a zenithal highlight if you do start off with a black primer. As a non-airbrush haver, I've found I've had to go in with a drybrush to reinforce my undershading. In the future I'll probably just do grey shadow ->white highlights.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dreylad posted:

No special primer, no. But since contrast paints are more translucent than regular acrylic paints, the colour of primer you use affects how the contrast paint turns out. Here is a giant image of someone applying each contrast paint over different (Citadel) primers. https://imgur.com/gallery/mb5jHNg

So Corax is a pure white, wraithbone is a warm white (ivory), Grey Seer is a pretty cool grey, leadbelcher is a metallic. You can substitute any of those with a primer of your choosing, just so long as you understand that if you want a cooler version of the contrast paint, choose a pure white or a grey, etc. A lot of contrast paints don't really show up over black so make sure you're doing at least a zenithal highlight if you do start off with a black primer. As a non-airbrush haver, I've found I've had to go in with a drybrush to reinforce my undershading. In the future I'll probably just do grey shadow ->white highlights.

I've taken to using a brown undercoat with a white zenithal for a lot of minis I'm going to be using a lot of contrasts on. Still get a decent zenithal effect but without the dark dark shadows that can kind of overpower some of the contrasts. Works pretty well with most contrast paints, if I'm using Iyanden Yellow or (god forbid) Magos Purple I still tend to go in with white first though.

But yeah, while the GW contrast primers are nice smooth primers, they are not in any way necessary.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SiKboy posted:

I've taken to using a brown undercoat with a white zenithal for a lot of minis I'm going to be using a lot of contrasts on. Still get a decent zenithal effect but without the dark dark shadows that can kind of overpower some of the contrasts. Works pretty well with most contrast paints, if I'm using Iyanden Yellow or (god forbid) Magos Purple I still tend to go in with white first though.

But yeah, while the GW contrast primers are nice smooth primers, they are not in any way necessary.

That's a great idea. I've actually gone in and tested that by putting down a dark brown glaze/wash into the recesses on models I did a black/ivory zenithal on, especially anywhere I want to put down warm colours. I'm putting in a ton of time just fixing up my zenithal highlight, but it'll probably save me some grief in the long run. I just need to figure out which reds I want to pick up to highlight and shade flesh tearers red as I think I'm pretty settled on using it to paint up a bunch of red cloth quickly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WildZeo posted:

That loving rules.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WildZeo posted:

oh my goddddddd

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That is really, REALLY cool!!

So I ordered some paints from the games workshop store on the 11, and the site says the order is still pending and hasn't been shipped yet... is this a COVID-related problem or is GW usually slow with shipping stuff? Not that I NEED this stuff now or anything, I am fine with waiting. Just curious is all.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I ordered some paints from the games workshop store on the 11, and the site says the order is still pending and hasn't been shipped yet... is this a COVID-related problem or is GW usually slow with shipping stuff? Not that I NEED this stuff now or anything, I am fine with waiting. Just curious is all.

It's been extremely slow the past month because of COVID and Holidays. I ordered something on December 17th and it shipped mid-last week. It came in like two days, though.
I have other stuff I ordered at the start of January and at this rate, I won't receive it until the start-mid February and some of it is needed to complete some projects.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WildZeo posted:

holy poo poo

I am trying so very hard not to start Emperor's Children, because my tyranids are already purple + yellow, but this is NOT helping.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SiKboy posted:

I've got a plan to try and do a white basecoat with a metallic drybrush on some kabalite warriors, hoping the metallic high points will create a nice effect. I just got to finish other stuff first.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

WildZeo posted:

Yes! The 40K Doof Warrior!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Attestant posted:

holy poo poo

I am trying so very hard not to start Emperor's Children, because my tyranids are already purple + yellow, but this is NOT helping.

That's the best part about emperor's children, you can paint them crazy rear end colors! The vaporwave a e s t h e t I c look works really well on them, not to mention all the animal prints. I know I've shared this here a few times, but it's hands down my favorite model I've ever painted.

WildZeo posted:

:sickos: slap this beast on The Stage and blast some Merzbow via the built in bluetooth speakers!

Yeah it's a pricey for what it is, but damnit if it isn't cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

THINGS WILL GET LOUD NOW :black101:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

honestly, if you get a confirmation in 30 to 40 days, consider yourself lucky

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

WildZeo posted:

gently caress me sideways this is incredible.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

First infantry model of my Eldar army done, except for the base, as I'm not ready to commit to a basing scheme yet.

Really happy with the colors, but my highlights aren't very good, still. I've been using Contrast paints as a crutch in a big way for the past year or so, so I've been letting other techniques languish a little bit.

WildZeo
Feb 28, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That's the best part about emperor's children, you can paint them crazy rear end colors! The vaporwave a e s t h e t I c look works really well on them, not to mention all the animal prints. I know I've shared this here a few times, but it's hands down my favorite model I've ever painted.

:sickos: slap this beast on The Stage and blast some Merzbow via the built in bluetooth speakers!

Yeah it's a pricey for what it is, but damnit if it isn't cool.

As much as I'd love to get the Stage, I went the other route and put it's own speaker inside. Maybe I'll get one in the future though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWMSqNm2tK4

E: Video is from before the pic I posted

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Hey everybody, I have some Iwata Eclipse siphon feed airbrushes for sale over in SA-Mart, at a very low price. They are brand new /w hoses. I have had an incredibly good time with mine, I get consistently good results with it, especially when working on larger models and batch painting, and the siphon feed has some real advantages over gravity feed models, once you get over the learning curve.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956243
(I asked Leperflesh for approval before posting this!)

If you have any questions about these please take them over to the thread. I will probably post more about my siphon feed here in the future, in any case - I've learned a lot in the last couple of months and now that I have it figured out it's really what I prefer, I'd love to share if anyone is curious. Getting your paint mixes right and learning how to use the bottles effectively is a little tricky, but if you can get over the learning curve it's so convenient and much more comfortable to use over the gravity feeds in long sessions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Got some more malifaux stuff painted: A Yan Lo Retainer/Ancestor Crew. Decided to got fairly heavy on a unified colour scheme for these guys, which I dont always do with Malfaux crews. I'm still working through figures that have some speckling from a faulty rattlecan nozzle when I did their zenithal (and its far too loving cold to try and go outside and do it over). Its not noticeable in person, but as soon as you take a close-up picture they look a little spotty.

Yan Lo. Was just starting painting him when I realised that what I thought was an open mouth was in fact the hole where the peg for a goatee beard was supposed to be, and the fact it was missing was probably why these were "sold as seen" on ebay. Or at least one of the reasons. Rescued it with green stuff, which I dont think is too noticable, so I'm pleased.

The Soul Porter. He's supposed to have a couple of paper lanterns hanging from his spear but they were missing (again, "sold as seen", but I'd spotted that before buying them at least). My sculpting skills are near zero, so he got a green stuff pitcher of booze instead of lanterns.

Chiaki the Beacon. Shes supposed to have a mask pushed up on her head, but again, missing. At least that didnt require any scuplting, she can just not have the mask! I'm going to give her skin another quick pass with some highlights, try to blend it a little better, but I probably wont retake the photo.

Yin the Penangalan. Apparently a Penangalan is an actual myth from parts of Asia, not something the game made up, but I look at this and think "Surely you'd be more effective in a fight if you still had opposable thumbs to hold weapons and your organs werent exposed?". And it is different from a Pangolan which is what I keep calling this one.

Toshiro the Daimyo. He's having a bit of a day, and kind of makes me wonder if anyone has made a 28 mm Wound Man figure.

The Ashigaru. Went a little overboard with the weathering/rusting on their weapons and armour, but I like the effect.

And a shot of the whole crew together!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SiKboy posted:

Yin the Penangalan. Apparently a Penangalan is an actual myth from parts of Asia, not something the game made up, but I look at this and think "Surely you'd be more effective in a fight if you still had opposable thumbs to hold weapons and your organs werent exposed?". And it is different from a Pangolan which is what I keep calling this one.

This is so delightfully gross and I love her.

Honestly if you hadn't told me the things that were broken/missing, I wouldn't have realized anything was amiss.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Well finally finished this thing. Man Chaos trim is madness.

Just have to base him along with a few other models from the army. After that its move on to my three tanks, a rhino, predator and vindicator. I plan to basically batch paint all three at once, so hopefully it won't take too long. Plus no insane chaos trim. Just spikes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That blue and gold looks sharp.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Xenomrph posted:

That blue and gold looks sharp.

Thanks. Blue is Kantor blue with AP blue wash as well. The gold is mixes of Balthazar gold in some places and retributor armor in others.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
I'm not sure if this question is appropriate here, but I'm going to give it a go. I have some Lewis Chessmen 3d Prints.

And I am wanting to paint them until they look more like the real, stone, weathered thing. I already plan to sand, fill primer, paint, and wet sand them to get them nice and polished looking, but I need some help in figuring out how to to the darker "shadows" and etches. I don't know if dry brushing is right for this, or if I should be doing something else. I don't have experience with minis though I do have a buddy who says I could use his set up if needed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Prime white, wash with brown like GW's Agrax Earthshade or Army Painter Strongtone, drybrush yellowish offwhite (like an ivory color) then lightly drybrush a more whiter ivory over that.. Sponge a little bit of dark brown more towards the bottom, very gently and subtly.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
You could probably get this exact effect with an oil wash over white primer, but i don’t have much experience with oils to recommend an exact process.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bucnasti posted:

You could probably get this exact effect with an oil wash over white primer, but i don’t have much experience with oils to recommend an exact process.

Prime white, apply dark brown colored oil wash, remove wash with makeup sponge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8pbRrp91ns

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dienes posted:

This is so delightfully gross and I love her.

Honestly if you hadn't told me the things that were broken/missing, I wouldn't have realized anything was amiss.

Thanks! I do love a slightly unusual mythical monster.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

NinjaPete posted:

I'm not sure if this question is appropriate here, but I'm going to give it a go. I have some Lewis Chessmen 3d Prints.

And I am wanting to paint them until they look more like the real, stone, weathered thing. I already plan to sand, fill primer, paint, and wet sand them to get them nice and polished looking, but I need some help in figuring out how to to the darker "shadows" and etches. I don't know if dry brushing is right for this, or if I should be doing something else. I don't have experience with minis though I do have a buddy who says I could use his set up if needed.

You could probably replicate this look with AK's streaking grime mixed 1:1 with mineral spirits. Super easy because you only need to tap the brush tip in a crevice and the mixture will do the rest, and it'll give you a result that's pretty darn close to the second picture.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm printing out a big multi-piece mini and will need something to fill gaps at the joints. What do you guys like for that - green stuff, milliput, something else? Lots of conflicting opinions online.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished these 5 orks in about an hour. I figure adding more to this batch wouldn't have taken too much longer, but the process is astonishingly quick.

Also here's my instagram! Follow me and I'll follow you back https://www.instagram.com/buttcheeksio/

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Toebone posted:

I'm printing out a big multi-piece mini and will need something to fill gaps at the joints. What do you guys like for that - green stuff, milliput, something else? Lots of conflicting opinions online.

I've not any experience with 3d printing, but I dont imagine its much different from filling gaps on plastic or metal minis, so... Small gaps? Greenstuff. Big gaps? Milliput. Big gaps where I need to model on some texture (fur or scales or whatever)? Mainly milliput, then when thats dried and filled the void a "skin" of greenstuff. Honestly either will work, but I find green stuff takes a texture better and is just a bit easier to work with, but Milliput is cheaper and still works. I've been warned off GWs "liquid greenstuff" as, although it SOUNDS great for filling really small cracks, its apparently SUPER hit or miss, but i've never tried it myself.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Toebone posted:

In the case of "which epoxy to use" it largely comes down to preference. They're all a little different in how they work and how they cure, I recommend practicing with it for a while before you put it on a thing you care about

I'm a fan of thinned tamiya putty myself, even if it smells like the inside of the avatar of turpentine's rear end in a top hat

Miliput and Tamiya are much grainier and can be thinned to a spreadable liquid, greenstuff holds detail better and is easier to sculpt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished these 5 orks in about an hour. I figure adding more to this batch wouldn't have taken too much longer, but the process is astonishingly quick.

Also here's my instagram! Follow me and I'll follow you back https://www.instagram.com/buttcheeksio/

drat those are some of the best looking Orks I've seen ever, much better than the dull greens I always see everywhere. What'd you do to get that great shade of green?