Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
The brickset post about the medieval blacksmith reveal had its comments locked after much whining about how the inclusion of a female knight is not historically accurate.

Business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

perfect. thank you

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

riversarl posted:

The brickset post about the medieval blacksmith reveal had its comments locked after much whining about how the inclusion of a female knight is not historically accurate.

Business as usual.

Lol, whilst probably all being massive GoT nerds too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Historically speaking, medieval blacksmiths weren't built out of mold-injected plastic, either.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Or subject to dragon/ghost/vampire attack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also saw a reddit? comment that went into that most real/traditional blacksmiths didn't make swords, because there was a specialized guild for that. (And also there was typically just a ton of tool work that was way higher in demand.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, I have to imagine that society required a lot more ploughs, horse shoes, shovels, etc.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Oxyclean posted:

I also saw a reddit? comment that went into that most real/traditional blacksmiths didn't make swords, because there was a specialized guild for that. (And also there was typically just a ton of tool work that was way higher in demand.)
And pirates didn't just casually fly the jolly roger either. It actually meant something when it was in use. They also didn't tend to swordfight (or even carry cutlasses), since that's a skill that conscripted sailors wouldn't ordinarily have. They didn't tend to steal gold and jewels, either - they were more interested in commodities. And so on!

Guys, I just realized that parts of Hamilton are historically inaccurate. Turns out the cabinet meetings weren't really rap battles after all! Who would enjoy this drivel?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey just watched your stream on illegal builds carb. Really interesting, have you considered pitching it as an article for one of the big sites? The headline possibilities are endless.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

10 little tricks Lego does not want you to know

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So ordered the Pirates Bay, super excited cause I usually just do classic (or cool looking ) Star Wars....few grand worth. So I’m avoiding reviews and Jang cause I wanna build it blind. Be surprised for once cause I already know how every tie and x-wing is going to turn out. My favorite sets growing up were castle, pirates, ice and aqua so I’m psyched.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Carbohydrates posted:

Guys, I just realized that parts of Hamilton are historically inaccurate. Turns out the cabinet meetings weren't really rap battles after all! Who would enjoy this drivel?

How would you know, were you in the room where it happened?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Blacksmith set owns so hard.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Speaking of historical accuracy, one thing that never sat right with me was the fact that of the Imperial/Pirate ship duos that were released, the Pirate ship is always bigger.

Irl pirates used small ships built for speed, in this case the Renegade Runner and Crossbone Clipper are probably the most accurate. A ship like the Barracuda or Schooner would be the kind of Imperial treasure ship they’d overtake, board, and transfer the booty from. It just stinks that the biggest Imperial ship is the Imperial Flagship 6271 (10210 isn’t really consistent in theme with the main ones) which is pretty underwhelming next to the SES.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Seeing videos, the scale of the blacksmith shop is a lot larger than I expected... 2,000 part count is also getting into modular territory. That’ll look fantastic with the medieval village and hopefully a new castle set this year

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Speaking of historical accuracy, one thing that never sat right with me was the fact that of the Imperial/Pirate ship duos that were released, the Pirate ship is always bigger.

Irl pirates used small ships built for speed, in this case the Renegade Runner and Crossbone Clipper are probably the most accurate. A ship like the Barracuda or Schooner would be the kind of Imperial treasure ship they’d overtake, board, and transfer the booty from. It just stinks that the biggest Imperial ship is the Imperial Flagship 6271 (10210 isn’t really consistent in theme with the main ones) which is pretty underwhelming next to the SES.

So what implement did you use to murder the child inside of you? Probably a belaying pin to be historically accurate right? :P

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

a sexual elk posted:

So ordered the Pirates Bay, super excited cause I usually just do classic (or cool looking ) Star Wars....few grand worth. So I’m avoiding reviews and Jang cause I wanna build it blind. Be surprised for once cause I already know how every tie and x-wing is going to turn out. My favorite sets growing up were castle, pirates, ice and aqua so I’m psyched.

I actually picked up Barracuda Bay from my local(-ish) Lego shop this past weekend and one-piled it. I won't spoil the build, but it's pretty great. It's also pretty massive once it's finished. The only other set I have approaching its scale is the Saturn V.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Was able to cobble together the Star Wars Comic Con set from a few years ago. Between what I had and $35 from Bricklink it’s pretty close. The hard part was getting the Han head and hair at a reasonable price so I mixed and matched. And screw those helmets, $2-$5 each and none of the listings had two. I just left them out.

I did start to get picky about some of my worn or scratched parts and had to talk myself down. This was for fun, no one was going to go over it with a magnifying glass, it’s going on my shelf next to the other little SW scenes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a sexual elk posted:

Congrats. Prepare to have your mind blown.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah - I'm a few bags into Barracuda and I'm already digging it. Or at least, from what I can tell, the gimmick of it also being a ship is a lot more interesting then I initially assumed.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I, too, snapped after a friend egged me on and after I narrowly missed buying the bookshop (got the available notification, put it in my basket with the fire fighter chopper, hesitated a couple hours and it was sold out again) I was hankering for something and got me Barracuda Bay by January 27. Welp. Now trying to talk him into getting the colosseum as revenge :v:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I ordered two BL packages from Germany- one on Jan 10 that got here today and one on Dec 9 that hasn’t arrived yet :ohdear:

There was also one from the west coast that should have arrived by now. I wonder if it got grabbed out of my mailbox on a day when I didn’t hear the mailman make the rounds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ordered a thing on December 15 that was marked as "delivered" three days later but didn't actually show up at my house until a week ago. Now that Christmas is over I think stuff is less wedged than it used to be, but it's still not all running at full efficiency.

Be as patient as you can I guess is what I'm saying.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

Now that Christmas is over I think stuff is less wedged than it used to be, but it's still not all running at full efficiency.

Be as patient as you can I guess is what I'm saying.

This reminded me...

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep, just finished my order. Now I can sleep.

Nth Doctor posted:

Just got my order put in. Glad I didn't stay up for it, I'm light enough on sleep as-is!

Nth Doctor posted:

Ninjago Gardens arrived yesterday. Outside of the city sets I've never been terribly interested in the theme, but the Golden Wu fig is triggering my Pokemon instincts... I gotta catch 'em all.

Waltzing Along posted:

Mine hasn't even shipped yet. That's kind of odd for a set released by itself. My Jan 1 orders shipped within a couple days and LEGO was totally slammed for those.

Waltzing Along, have you shot TLG an e-mail or anything about your set? IIRC you're in the US like me and I don't see how I could've gotten an order placed hours after you yet received it before yours even shipped unless something is seriously hosed with The Lego Group's regional distribution centers or something.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Switch flags, problem solved. :pirate:

Edit: sorry if that came across as unduly flippant. Just joking.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 21, 2021

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone holding a Bright Light Orange 27263?
It’s not rare or expensive... there’s just one seller on BL who has it in America and it’s 49 cents but they have a 35 dollar min.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm looking to sell of most of my collection (if not all) and am going to start an SA Mart to sell things off to minimize my life and bounce back from tons of dental work I had done. I was wondering if any LEGOons were interested in anything before I post the thread and call dibs, prices are negotiable and don't include shipping. I'm not looking to disassemble anything since I don't really have the time to do so (and hey, maybe it'll break apart in shipping anyway! :v:). Only some have boxes, everything should have the instructions but I'm not sure if it's all complete (I'm trying my best to find all of the minifigs and accessories for everything). Some of the sets I'm looking to sell in their theme (Scooby Doo, Hidden Side, Guardians of the Galaxy) because I feel like I won't really get much out of selling the smaller sets by themselves.

Here's everything I'm listing so far:
https://imgur.com/a/pcDkKp6

Probably going to add more later.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’d be interested in knowing how much you’re looking for on the sets, I might potentially be interested in one or two :)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

sigher posted:

So I'm looking to sell of most of my collection (if not all) and am going to start an SA Mart to sell things off to minimize my life and bounce back from tons of dental work I had done. I was wondering if any LEGOons were interested in anything before I post the thread and call dibs, prices are negotiable and don't include shipping. I'm not looking to disassemble anything since I don't really have the time to do so (and hey, maybe it'll break apart in shipping anyway! :v:). Only some have boxes, everything should have the instructions but I'm not sure if it's all complete (I'm trying my best to find all of the minifigs and accessories for everything). Some of the sets I'm looking to sell in their theme (Scooby Doo, Hidden Side, Guardians of the Galaxy) because I feel like I won't really get much out of selling the smaller sets by themselves.

Here's everything I'm listing so far:
https://imgur.com/a/pcDkKp6

Probably going to add more later.

I'd buy the overwatch hamster ball.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I would love the razor crest if shipping was not wild?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Anyone have any idea when the Ideas Treehouse retires? I see it in stock again and would like to get one eventually, curious if I need to try and get one from this batch or if its safe to wait for a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Anyone have any idea when the Ideas Treehouse retires? I see it in stock again and would like to get one eventually, curious if I need to try and get one from this batch or if its safe to wait for a while.

Maybe the end of this year? You’re probably good for a while.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’d be interested in knowing how much you’re looking for on the sets, I might potentially be interested in one or two :)

$200 for the Guardians of the Galaxy/Ant man sets. $300 Scooby Doo sets. $150 for the Razorcrest+Mandalorian Battle Pack.

Cloks posted:

I'd buy the overwatch hamster ball.

Is $10 good? Shipping shouldn't be too much considering the size.

Snowmankilla posted:

I would love the razor crest if shipping was not wild?

$150 for the two Mandalorian sets, I'll get it packaged up and get a quote on the shipping if you want to give me a Zip Code. OSU_Matthew asked about the set and PMed me before so to be fair if he wants it, I'll give him first dibs.

Oh, also, I have $50 in store credit at the LEGO store... is there anyway I can transfer that to someone? I don't see myself ever using it anymore... along with the recouping of funds I don't think I'm into LEGO as much as I used to be... :smith: It bums me out a bit to be honest.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nth Doctor posted:

This reminded me...

Waltzing Along, have you shot TLG an e-mail or anything about your set? IIRC you're in the US like me and I don't see how I could've gotten an order placed hours after you yet received it before yours even shipped unless something is seriously hosed with The Lego Group's regional distribution centers or something.

I checked and it was shipped yesterday but they never actually sent a shipping confirmation.

So yeah, I think things are busted at US Lego HQ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Year of the Ox promo in Australian stores with 88 AUD purchase.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Supposedly was meant to be last year before an extension.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Came across a Craigslist listing for Star Wars sets which included Clone Wars sets I’ve never seen before. Thought with all my searching and buying bulk I’d seen the all. This Coruscant Police Gunship is pretty drat cool.

https://brickset.com/sets/75046-1/Coruscant-Police-Gunship

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tomapot posted:

Came across a Craigslist listing for Star Wars sets which included Clone Wars sets I’ve never seen before. Thought with all my searching and buying bulk I’d seen the all. This Coruscant Police Gunship is pretty drat cool.

https://brickset.com/sets/75046-1/Coruscant-Police-Gunship

I think that's the first (and maybe only so far) set i've bought because I kinda wanted the minifig (Asoka.)

I like Akita from Ninjago as well, but not enough to pay 130$ for the one set she's in, or like 30$ for one from bricklink.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

sigher posted:

$150 for the two Mandalorian sets, I'll get it packaged up and get a quote on the shipping if you want to give me a Zip Code. OSU_Matthew asked about the set and PMed me before so to be fair if he wants it, I'll give him first dibs.

What is the second Mando set? The Black Y-wing? And that is cool if Matthew gets it, I would just be interested in the Rasor Crest.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I wanna see that thing park out again...

Very cool MoC from Papaglop, only a single thing in the instructions I would change (because it drives you crazy building the first engine, and then you change it building the second and everything is cool and good).

Missing two dark blueish grey 1x2 tile grids on the front of the engines, gonna add them soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Snowmankilla posted:

What is the second Mando set? The Black Y-wing? And that is cool if Matthew gets it, I would just be interested in the Rasor Crest.

The mandalorian battle pack. OP needs to lower his prices if he wants to sell, $150 is RRP for both sets new and unbuilt.