Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dunno if there's a concrete decklist, but peeps on both GameFAQs and Reddit seem to recommend it, and claim that most of the cards come from Kaiba's booster pack, which is obtainable relatively early on, and then a few pieces from Joey's booster pack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YGOLegacyOfTheDuelist/comments/cuz557/kiabadragon_deck_options/ey0u14s/?context=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lZlsUaiwQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The last few episodes of Sevens have been corny fun, but we finally got to see Neil's deck....

Maximum summoning is something alright. :stare:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
finally picking the original manga back up after reading the first three volumes and then getting distracted in the middle of last year and holy moley Death T is absolutely insane lmao. "oh yeah, that guy that brutally murdered a whole bunch of children last year? i've hired him to butcher you and your friends here in my theme park." the art does a good job of making Kaiba look completely unhinged

Honda's nephew is an absolute garbage show though. why can't shonen manga just not be terrible about sexual assault

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 6, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Monster World ruled, too. Loved that there was one last non-DM game that justified a whole volume to itself to close that part of the series out before things move on to all card games all the time.

The Millennium Ring is friggin' hardcore, though. Digging itself into Bakura's chest like some sort of parasite then making him stab his hand on the castle model, darn

e: I guess instead of triple posting I'll add here that I just read chapter 99 and Kaiba sitting there holding a gun while he has a dude's head jammed in his suitcase absolutely rules, lmao

e2: dang, i knew that Pegasus didn't survive Duelist Kingdom in the manga, but that last page of him with Bakura is nasty

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 18, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Checking out some pages from the Duel Art artbook, Takahashi definitely knows his fan base

I shall also, once I finish reading the manga, be "getting my game on" as the kids say

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I've got the Duel Art book, and it is well worth the price.

Takahashi's art is fantastic.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

I've got the Duel Art book, and it is well worth the price.

Takahashi's art is fantastic.

It's amazing seeing how much his art evolves over the series, even though I love and miss early goblin Yami.

I'd happily buy a reprint, but secondary market prices seem a bit much

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also people don’t talk about it much here anymore but SEVENS is still good and back to being translated weekly (though still only via fansubs right now since Crunchyroll never picked it up like they did the last few seasons).

Not entirely sure how this is meant to be an anniversary season like they said but it’s been a fun ride so far.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Also people don’t talk about it much here anymore but SEVENS is still good and back to being translated weekly (though still only via fansubs right now since Crunchyroll never picked it up like they did the last few seasons).

Not entirely sure how this is meant to be an anniversary season like they said but it’s been a fun ride so far.

Wait which anniversary? Wasn't that supposed to be Arc-V? Oh God how many years has it been since Arc-V?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

If Arc-V is what happens when they try to make an anniversary show and SEVENS is what happens when they don't, then I hope they never try again.

SEVENS has been great so far. Good characterization, impressive amount of spotlight for all the protagonists which is beyond unusual in this franchise, Rush Duels are fun, and the series never takes itself too seriously which is a breath of fresh air. And even with that they've had good stakes and genuine character moments.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait which anniversary? Wasn't that supposed to be Arc-V? Oh God how many years has it been since Arc-V?

Arc-V started in 2014. I'm not sure how SEVENS could be an anniversary if Arc-V was, with 6 years of difference.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah ok, I thought I heard someone say a while back that after VRAINS the next series was supposed to be an anniversary season, nevermind then.

SEVENS is still one of the better Yu-Gi-Oh shows I’ve seen in years though and I hope they can maintain this level of quality the whole way through.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Yugioh has done like, three different anniversary celebrations in recent memory.

Fifteen years of the anime.
Fifteen years of the card game.
Twenty years of the franchise.

(I think that's how it worked out?)

Japan loves celebrating their anniversaries, just ask any tokusatsu fan.

Arc-V was celebrating fifteen years of the anime IIRC.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I absolutely love SEVENS opening theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avz9FhG8vxU

I really do need to get around to watching it because the clips youtube recommends me have been good. My favorite is when one of the opponents tries to rules lawyer the duel because the protagonist is using an illegal card.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I absolutely love SEVENS opening theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avz9FhG8vxU

I really do need to get around to watching it because the clips youtube recommends me have been good. My favorite is when one of the opponents tries to rules lawyer the duel because the protagonist is using an illegal card.

Do so, it’s probably one of the best Yugioh shows I’ve seen in a while (in terms of characters and writing at least).

Also out of curiosity, do the people currently subbing it have a website?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 20, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

Do so, it’s probably one of the best Yugioh shows I’ve seen in a while (in terms of characters and writing at least).

But are the duels any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

At first the duels were my least favorite part of SEVENS (they didn’t feel quite as dynamic as other seasons) but even that’s been improving a bit as the show goes on.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AlternateNu posted:

No, they still suck.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

They're fine. They aren't as impressive as some of the ones in older series, but they can be pretty interesting when they want to be. The standout so far is probably Nail vs Yuga 2, with a lot of strategizing and draw/discarding on both sides to get their Maximum Monsters.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I will echo the fact that Sora vs Shun is one of the best duels in series.

Yusei vs ZONE is also up there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For me personally, I don't think anything can touch the three Yusei vs. Jack duels, particularly the Fortune Cup one, but all three are great. The choreography of the duel, the characters, the story, everything is just so perfectly on point and because of where they're placed in the series, they pretty much totally avoid all of the bad, ugly parts of 5D's' writing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Been catching up lately and, uh, this is seriously good.

I think the best quality is that they treat the extended cast with a ton of respect. And that Rush Duels are so fast paced that almost all of them being 1 episode works. I just saw an episode where a noodle ninja fights a noodle alien, and in any other YGO that noodle ninja would've just been in the background after dueling the protagonist, or if they got another duel it'd be once like 40-90 episodes in. Instead it's in the second arc. The best part is Mimi, a character absolutely created for us (though you need to play Yakuza 0 to fully grasp her)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Said noodle alien also has an evil clone/sibling of them dueling next episode against the previous bad guy's robot chair who is now the protagonist's club advisor. Show is good.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I just love these ridiculous decks from the show. Mad Max Dogs, Noodle monsters, cat dragons, chair monsters, Drilling Mandrill!

Least I forget, Dian Keto the Gold-Digging Master!

Come on Konami, print the drat cards you cowards!

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not familiar with the actual game but does every card featured in the various animes actually exist or have there been a few show exclusive ones on occasion?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Larryb posted:

I’m not familiar with the actual game but does every card featured in the various animes actually exist or have there been a few show exclusive ones on occasion?

There are quite a few anime-exclusive cards, but occasionally a later booster pack will come out with a version of the cards that are balanced. For example, they removed the ability for the Seal of Orichalchos to steal the loser's soul.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyroi posted:

There are quite a few anime-exclusive cards, but occasionally a later booster pack will come out with a version of the cards that are balanced. For example, they removed the ability for the Seal of Orichalchos to steal the loser's soul.

Fair, since a few cards/combos in the anime sound like they’d basically be “I Win” buttons in an actual game. I assume the real card game is much more balanced than it sometimes appears in the show?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also a lot of the anime exclusive poo poo are weird gimmick cards like the Speed Spells or Action cards. If htey make it in they're usually completely changed in effect.

Which is why SEVENS, being focused on a (lovely) gimmick format with new format on cards has some weird loving poo poo that won't see release for awhile probably.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still waiting for Valen's Armor Cards that requires players to put on real armor pieces.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm still waiting for Valen's Armor Cards that requires players to put on real armor pieces.

You're more likely to get real Meklords with swappable pieces before that tbh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, what's the gimmick format for SEVENS? What hooked me to the show after Battle City was the ability to see goofy decks that a person could actually make.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

So, what's the gimmick format for SEVENS? What hooked me to the show after Battle City was the ability to see goofy decks that a person could actually make.

Rather than normal duels, SEVENS exclusively has Rush Duels. Rush Duels have slight rule changes (three Monster and Spell/Trap Card Zones, you can Normal Summon as many times as you want in a turn, you draw until you have five cards at the start of your turn) and uses completely different cards that have a significantly lower power level than the absolute mess that is the actual card game (no Extra Deck, for instance, with a new summoning mechanic serving as the big thing and the cards are in your normal deck)

It mostly translates to duels in the anime going very fast, lasting only an episode, but they tend to be pretty fun. The actual game seems pretty blitzkrieg as well but not in the "win rock/paper/scissors, game over" way the main game operates.

The cards do exist in reality (mostly, as usual some cards aren't printed, but they're the minority I believe) but with the whole COVID situation Rush Duel cards have not left Japan and have had no tournament scene. Hopefully that will get fixed but that goes for everything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rush Duel cards had basically no hope of catching on even without COVID slowing poo poo down. You can't use your normal format cards in the duels and there was no way they were going to stop making new cards for the actual game so you end up basically trying to make a second card game (Which sucks) and using your big advertisement tool to push it over the stuff they're actually going to support.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So in other words. Rush Duels essentially can’t be done in the actual card game (with what’s been released in the west at least)?

On another note, is the VRAINS dub still going or is that kind of stalled at the moment (also is the dub itself any good)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

So in other words. Rush Duels essentially can’t be done in the actual card game (with what’s been released in the west at least)?

You could definitely play a Rush Duel with normal cards if you so pleased. It's not like the cards have anything unique to them beyond Maximum Monsters.

They're just meant to be played with their own card pool, but there's no reason why you couldn't use the Rush Duel rules with normal cards (excluding the Extra Deck though, since that doesn't exist in Rush Duels)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, do new mechanics like that first get introduced in the card game and then get promoted in the next season of the anime or is it the opposite?

Also out of curiosity, has SEVENS gotten a manga yet or do those typically not start until later (I know they skipped VRAINS in that regard at least)?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
New mechanics roughly coincide with new seasons being released, ie, Pendulum/ARC-V, Link/VRAINS.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
SEVENS' manga started a few months ago, mostly focusing on Luke, the Kramer/Joey Wheeler of the group.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

SEVENS' manga started a few months ago, mostly focusing on Luke, the Kramer/Joey Wheeler of the group.

Neat, has any of it been translated so far? If so, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

All that said the newest poo poo they've added in the actual game owns bones.

The amusement park staff with rides being continuous traps you equip to your opponents monsters or yours to get different effects is so neat. Plus the new Armed Dragons own and more Ojama support is always good.