Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

One of the things the chunin exam is measuring is "willingness to put in the effort". Tenten had to learn the funjutsu to create her scrolls, then had to learn how to use those weapons. Kiba had to raise and train Akamaru, and then train himself alongside his dog to do what they do. The scientific Ninja tool is specifically designed to require no effort to use. So, say, putting the tool on Lee and then unleashing him on whatever target you want to no longer exist, that's fine and dandy, what else did you expect a ninja to do besides cheat? Putting the tool on a 13 year old engaged in a yearly competition meant to showcase their personal growth, that's not okay.

(Or, alternatively, Boruto didn't get punished for using the Scientific Ninja Tool to cheat, he got punished for getting caught cheating.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It could also specifically be that he used an untested, prototype weapon in a competition largely for children, where winning may be the goal but endangering other genin unnecessarily just to win now that the world is in a time of peace between all five nations is an extremely stupid and selfish thing to do.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tbp posted:

thinking about "scientific ninja tools" reminds me of how absurd the premise of the arc where boruto cheated is. in a world of ... ninjas? it seems bizarre to limit people from using tools available to them

it's a time of rapid technological change. naruto's generation using puppets and dogs is something with hundreds of years of tradition behind it and those tools/companions require training to even use at all, while boruto breaking out a computer cheat gauntlet is going to get all of the parents complaining about how the hokage's son got to use a graphing calculator on his SAT while everyone else has pencil and paper

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The scientific ninja tools also specifically don’t use the casters chakra, where most of the previous generation techniques took training or chakra.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's also the fact that the tool in question is something that, ethically speaking, should not have been created to begin with since building something that lets any rando be a superhuman is probably a bad idea for the future of world peace and stability.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Along with being a shortcut requiring nothing from the user, the main reason Naruto banned them was because not everyone had access to them. He felt it would be unfair to the other Villages. They could become legal in the future, but felt they were too new to be use that year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also as mentioned a few posts above, the tool basically allows literally ANYONE (even non-ninja) to use powerful jutsu without the aid of training or even molding chakra. Something like that sounds like it’d be pretty dangerous in the wrong hands.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wanna know how the cumin exams would've gone if there was one ninja in there with the normal crazy ninja powers but also had, like, a shotgun

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Wanna know how the cumin exams would've gone if there was one ninja in there with the normal crazy ninja powers but also had, like, a shotgun

Funny you should say that, but by the time this arc is done...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, have we ever seen a gun in the Naruto universe (feel free to count filler and movies as well)?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, have we ever seen a gun in the Naruto universe (feel free to count filler and movies as well)?

In the manga there's a guy in the Land of Waves who keeps a big shotgun in his shop. Can't remember if it made it into the anime though.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A small force of highly trained elite soldiers using mystical powers versus a battalion of conscripts taught how to fire en masse over a six week training period? This will go about the same as it did in the real world. (Hint: the elite soldiers didn't fair well.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rndmnmbr posted:

A small force of highly trained elite soldiers using mystical powers versus a battalion of conscripts taught how to fire en masse over a six week training period? This will go about the same as it did in the real world. (Hint: the elite soldiers didn't fair well.)

Pretty sure many of those mystical powers make you bullet proof compared to the real world example.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 12, 2021

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Larryb posted:

Didn't that one bad guy from earlier in the manga have a railgun?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They’re really dragging out the Kawaki reveal for as long as possible aren’t they? But Sumire’s finally back next week so we are at least sort of back in manga territory now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 18, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think it's been adapting the manga since the last episode minus a few minor things they've adjusted for the anime. Since they're being pretty faithful (though I'm sad they didn't have Mitsuki caressing Boruto's face with stretchy arms when convincing him) I'm only partly surprised that they're not revealing Kawaki since he only shows up in the next arc. Still, since he's been front in center in two OPs now...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 18, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Manga spoilers

RIP

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of which, here's the chapter:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-54/chapter/21798?action=read

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

Manga spoilers

RIP

I don’t believe it yet. Seems like a chump way to go out, instead of a tearjerker.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Has decades of Naruto helping to codify shonen tropes not yet taught us that there's no way Naruto is dying so unceremoniously? If Kishimoto is trolling that very expectation, then good on him, but I doubt it.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yeah he's not dead, he's most likely in a coma and out of commission for some time

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yeah Naruto ain't dead. I expected more from the last cliffhanger and Sasuke just shrugged it off.

Was Kawaki shooting skin blades from his feet?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Remember the lesson of Obito: A funny mask and a goofy personality will let you get away with *ahem* Count no shinobi dead until you have seen the corpse - and even then you can be mistaken.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
He's definitely alive. I'd be more worried about Kurama, to be honest, as he's a more expendable character and "NARUTO LOST HIS NINE-TAILED FOX" would feel big. Anyway, enjoying the wild swings that Boruto has taken lately, it's gone from just trash to entertaining trash in my view.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He's definitely alive. I'd be more worried about Kurama, to be honest, as he's a more expendable character and "NARUTO LOST HIS NINE-TAILED FOX" would feel big. Anyway, enjoying the wild swings that Boruto has taken lately, it's gone from just trash to entertaining trash in my view.

Having Kurama die would potentially finally be a good opportunity to finally see the “the Bijuu reforms in a few years after the Jinchuuriki’s (theirs too?) death thing” which was mentioned in Naruto but never seen yet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm kinda sitting here more bemused he re-did one of the best shots from Bleach in Boruto to even register the next couple pages

Really liked the chapter though, good ninja battlin'. Naruto/Boruto is so much better when they're not giant mecha style monster battling.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm kinda sitting here more bemused he re-did one of the best shots from Bleach in Boruto to even register the next couple pages

Really liked the chapter though, good ninja battlin'. Naruto/Boruto is so much better when they're not giant mecha style monster battling.

I haven’t touched Bleach in a long time, what scene are you referring to and where was it recreated in this chapter?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Larryb posted:

I haven’t touched Bleach in a long time, what scene are you referring to and where was it recreated in this chapter?
Tearing off the Hollow mask. Probably just a coincidence.

I haven't touched it in a long time either, I just remember really liking how that scene came together. Liked this too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Would it really be that big of a deal? I mean he was always split in half. Having this Kurama die or dissipate would just mean that residual chakra would go to the other Kurama that's been supposedly roaming around free since the end of Shippuden

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It wasn’t shown, but I believe the two Kurama’s were recombined at some point before The Last.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Given the antagonists are down and out for the moment, maybe they'll do a "find the kurama in the wild and subdue him to save a dying naruto's life arc"? If you have Sasuke tending to him with I don't know magical eyehax you could easily justify a stripped down set of assets going on the mission

Could be a great way to explore more of the planet. If Teek isn't right or they ignore that, mind you. Otherwise I'm kinda not sure where the story is going in the short term.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Naruto/Boruto is so much better when they're not giant mecha style monster battling.

im literally shaking rn irl :fuckoff:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I will agree. The best part of the final Naruto vs Sasuke battle was after they both ran out of chakra and proceeded to savagely beat the utter gently caress out of each other with taijutsu alone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's been quite a while since I read the ending of Naruto and the writing at that point was incredibly messy (I'm surprised it *mostly* makes some manner of sense when all is said and done, credit to Kishimoto and his editors, I... dislike a lot of the choices, but eh, whatever, it's shonen) but according to the probably untrustworthy fan wiki Kurama is whole again by now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's been quite a while since I read the ending of Naruto and the writing at that point was incredibly messy (I'm surprised it *mostly* makes some manner of sense when all is said and done, credit to Kishimoto and his editors, I... dislike a lot of the choices, but eh, whatever, it's shonen) but according to the probably untrustworthy fan wiki Kurama is whole again by now.

To be fair, the anime handled a lot of that stuff better in my opinion (such as the aforementioned Naruto Vs Sasuke fight where they actually gave us a plausible reason why Naruto and Sasuke would be friends).

In general I actually prefer the anime overall in this case, the action is easier to follow and while there’s a lot of filler it at least gives the side characters some time to shine on occasion (hell, in the manga I don’t think we actually physically ever saw Tenten fight until the war near the end. All of her other battles were done off screen).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 1, 2021

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Say hello to my little friend! Yesss!

RIP Mugino. A shinobi's death. *salute*

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I've been waiting for that minigun to be animated.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Ugh never let yourself get dragged into arguments by the insane side of a fandom.

For the record, my position on 'canon' is, who gives a gently caress? If Kishimoto wrote it or authorized it to be written, it is Naruto/Boruto, whether manga, anime, light novel, whatever. If you don't like a part of it, feel free to ignore it. Arguing what is canon or not is pointless gatekeeping, stop telling people what they are allowed to enjoy.

E. We are SA, we're not rabid. Discuss freely.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

rndmnmbr posted:

Ugh never let yourself get dragged into arguments by the insane side of a fandom.

For the record, my position on 'canon' is, who gives a gently caress? If Kishimoto wrote it or authorized it to be written, it is Naruto/Boruto, whether manga, anime, light novel, whatever. If you don't like a part of it, feel free to ignore it. Arguing what is canon or not is pointless gatekeeping, stop telling people what they are allowed to enjoy.

E. We are SA, we're not rabid. Discuss freely.

I like it when the ninja does punches and jutsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

PathAsc posted:

I like it when the ninja does punches and jutsu

:hmmyes: