Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That was good but did Civvie's voice sound off to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No but I’m sure making such a long video puts a strain on his voice sometimes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad Civvie highlighted the sick fact that there is more Xen after the gonad monster and its even loving worse

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Well, he is being possessed by a demon that wants to turn him into a sleazy influencer.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

There's something about the architecture, style and texture of the Black Mesa Facility that always sucks me straight in. I'm a total sucker for bigger than life industrial environments. I remember playing Half-Life as a kid, and being in total awe of the blastpit. The massive concrete outer layer, surrounded by screen sludge, with that rocketmotor inside...it always cheers me up. It's probably the same reason why the second episode of Dusk is my favorite and why I actually like The Chasm in Doom 2.

To go off on a tangent I really really like this in Jedi Knight 1 (and 2) just GIANT bare stone and metal structures (because we don't have the polygon budget to have something so big be complex).

drrockso20 posted:

He is just turning into a proper boomer.

Tim Thomas posted:

pretty much all of hl is bullshit

source: i do plasma physics for a living

There are huge endless underground tunnel and huge multi story underground room places in real life though.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 20, 2021

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Tim Thomas posted:

Please don’t tell me there isn’t even a single massive underground science facility where crazy stuff happens.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Marshal Radisic posted:

Well, he is being possessed by a demon that wants to turn him into a sleazy influencer.
And I also think he turned into Ross Scott of Accursed Farms/Freeman's Mind/Ross's Game Dungeon for a while there.

I want a Killing Time episode of Game Dungeon now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

eternalvictory posted:

Please don’t tell me there isn’t even a single massive underground science facility where crazy stuff happens.

Good news, the LHC is underground.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJNmJNu9BZE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

LIGO is underground, too. It's also not too far from where I live.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Turin Turambar posted:

And CERN had that guy who looks exactly like Gordon. People managed to send him a crowbar. Just in case.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
:unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_TA503YbRY

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You are killing me with those imps.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Turin Turambar posted:

You are killing me with those imps.

It's hard to tell whether the imps are the worst or if everything is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1352002562816401408?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looking forward to dota3 and csgo2

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Christ, I haven't seen those jDoom models since like, 2005.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tippis posted:

It's hard to tell whether the imps are the worst or if everything is.

No, the worst is very definitely the revenants holy loving poo poo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

No no no no no, it's gonna be Ricochet 2 as told to us by the prophet Vinny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8t210reH0A

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

Ah...:(

Yeah, that's kind of to be expected. Still wondering how much of the architecture is based on real life vs being made up wholesale or taken from comics/films.

Having just finished the game, I have to talk about Xen. I know it's not exactly everybody's favorite segment, but...I loving love it. I loved it as a kid, being suddenly stuck in this weird nightmare of a world, not knowing what was going to happen next. "Interloper" might well be one of the first time I explicitly noticed environmental storytelling, and it still gets me. This massive factory, the way new Grunts are processed, the loving creepy soundscape, this gloomy atmosphere and the fact that the Vortigaunts often won't attack me is so well executed. Just by being there you understand that the Vortigaunts are very low on the food chain, that these alien soldiers really do only have one purpose, that the place is scaling up for a full scale invasion and that these aliens have a strict hierarchy with the Overminds on top. And then something starts taking to you, placing words in your head that you just can't understand because it is an alien thing trying to communicate with a different species. But there's English in there and the thing is throwing these words straight into your mind...

As a kid, it opened up a while new genre of horror to me besides werewolf and vampires. It was the experience of Xen that made me want more of this weird otherworldly stuff, which led me to seek out Quake. Quake brought me to Doom, but also to Lovecraft and a whole bunch of new things. All because of that last bit in Half-Life.

Everytime I replay that game, I'm afraid the internet will be right and it won't hold up. But it still gets me, every time. Knowing the genre and Half-Life's place in it's history, it's really cool to see what Valve did here. The majority of the game is basically a remake of Doom in it's structure, turned up to eleven. A research facility, a teleportation experiment come wrong, another monstrous world invading and you thrown in the middle, trekking through one part of the facility to get to the part where the really weird stuff was taking place, before invading the monsters' world to close the portal from their side by killing the massive brain thing holding it open. It's just that in that last chapter, the game pulls Quake into the mix as well. You are an intruder here, an interloper in a vast realm of cosmic horror. And Valve pulled it off in a way that will always impress me.

I won't deny that HL2 is a brilliant game as well, but part of me wishes they had gone another route than, well, Hell on Earth. Imaging a sequel where we zoom in on that one line in the epilog: "The borderworld is under our control now." I want to see the G-man and Gordon to weird worlds, emphasizing on the alien, seeing what places humanity will now send scouting parties to.

The weirdest thing is that someone did make a game like that, called Remnant: From the Ashes. It is absolutely not a classic FPS, but if there's anyone here that loves this type of atmosphere I highly recommend it.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

excellent opening

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1352018806642716672

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward to Artifact 2

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/BuildEnginePics/status/1352017200505376769

:psyduck:

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Shouldn't every monster be a hitscanner if it's a build TC?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That's Build??!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If I wanted to rush through HL2 again but with some tuning to the guns even if giving more ammo to the magnum would make it OP (after something like 8 playthroughs I don't care), what's the recommended one?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guillermus posted:

If I wanted to rush through HL2 again
I stopped reading after this, but the answer is MMod.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah after some googling MMOD looked like the right choice. I enabled bullet physics and all the bells and whistles (cept blur!). There's a "zoom-in" that gives some more accuracy so that may be good enough gameplay wise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1352263507006263298?s=20

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/danielwienerson/status/1352104224939671553?s=21

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is this that stickbug meme? Is that still a thing?

Meanwhile, a tactical military EDuke32 TC that's sat abandoned for 15 years has been exhumed and will be seeing the light of day in April.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyL78q62B4s

Also: Blue Monday is a mapset for the old Quoth mod for Quake 1, bringing you 15 new and exciting ways to sear your eyeballs.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 21, 2021

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Joh Romeh

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 21, 2021

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

eternalvictory posted:

plenty of those. i used to work at the old MIT particle accelerator lab and there's a pretty decent sized vault a few stories underground, probably 100m x 100m by 50m high. as it turns out, it's way cheaper to use earth and concrete as radiation shielding to avoid radiation and skyshine than it is to build above ground and shield the walls and ceiling.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Yeah after some googling MMOD looked like the right choice. I enabled bullet physics and all the bells and whistles (cept blur!). There's a "zoom-in" that gives some more accuracy so that may be good enough gameplay wise.

Is that the same as SMOD? I loving loved SMOD

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zeether posted:

Is that the same as SMOD? I loving loved SMOD

Nah. While SMod is a big, messy content expansion that makes HL2 play more like FEAR, MMod is an overall graphics and gameplay upgrade to the game's fundamental core.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

Is this that stickbug meme? Is that still a thing?
Don't think so, they aren't doing the correct motion for that. Looks like it's exactly what was on the tin: skeleton bones with no model attached walking around and shooting you.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Tim Thomas posted:

plenty of those. i used to work at the old MIT particle accelerator lab and there's a pretty decent sized vault a few stories underground, probably 100m x 100m by 50m high. as it turns out, it's way cheaper to use earth and concrete as radiation shielding to avoid radiation and skyshine than it is to build above ground and shield the walls and ceiling.

Right into my veins please. I’d kill to experience such odd places firsthand.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

I think at one point Shadow Warrior was intended to have voxel enemies. I remember extracting the contents of the grp file for the demo and finding voxels for some enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I found the version 1.0 Shadow Warrior demo, it actually got patched twice which seems kind of surprising considering how much harder it would be for someone with the demo to even know it had even been patched back then.

I extracted the voxel files and it looks like they must have been made during one of the beta versions, the voxel enemies/player have the old designs and the voxel files have a slightly different format, they're missing 2 of the mip-map levels all the voxels for the finished game have.

Enemy

Enemy

Player

The rest of the voxels appear to be the same as the retail game but I didn't look too closely.