Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

yeeeaaaahhhh that's a near perfect guitar for me, might get one if I can find a sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Finally upgrading my semi hacked together open backed "cab" from me tearing apart a solid state 1x10 combo and replacing the speaker with something that can handle a tube amp to an Orange PPC 1x12 :toot:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
1st guitar of 2021, although it was purchased on 12-30-20.

Epiphone Coronet Reissue. Right around 5.5 lbs, very much in line with the originals. Neck heavy, but not overly so. Could probably be fixed by moving the strap button from the back of the heel of the neck to the upper horn.

Bought used, and came with stupidly high action that I'm pretty sure was to try to cover up the fact the 17th fret on the D needs to be knocked down a little to get rid of a buzz. At the same time, for the hack playing I do that note will never get played, so do I really need to fix it? Only playability issue I can find, although the fret ends need a little work. They're not sharp, but they feel like they overhang a little.

Sound-wise, it's fine, but I've never really been impressed with the P90s Epiphone uses. Sounds like a P90, but nothing special. Tone control seems to do just enough to be called a tone control, may need to investigate, but I rarely use the tone control anyway.

If I had paid the $399.99 going rate I would be kind of disappointed. For what I paid I'm happy so far, and I even got a gig bag with it.

widefault fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 9, 2021

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

That is a pretty guitar. <3

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Late post.

Officially a Taylor guy now. My parents bought me a Rosewood/spruce electric GS mini for Christmas. I like the in built tuner. Pictured with the 324ce I got last year.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Still working on my parts P build, but I saw this on craigslist yesterday for $60, which had been up for a day and somehow still available:

~2000 MIM Precision Bass. The ad said it had a bad truss rod and electronics. I tightened it up when I got home and a day later haven't noticed any change :shrug: The pickup is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, the wiring job is complete garbage but I tried the leads directly from the pickup to an amp and that seemed to work fine so I know the pickup is good at least.

The bridge sucks, I have no idea why someone would change the stock MIM one to this. The saddle adjustment screws stick out a good 1/4" above the saddles, which are almost all at the bottom of their travel since the bottom plate is about twice as thick as a normal bridge. If a stock bridge covers the extra holes they made to install this I'll use that, otherwise I'll need something bigger like a Badass II. The one-ply pickguard is all warped so that will be replaced, as well as pots, knobs, and strings.

The body is a little beat up but not terrible, definitely needs a deep cleaning. The neck has some weird wear in the finish, not enough to hinder playing but you kinda feel it. Like it was stored for a long time in a box of Legos with some weight on top. I expect some wear from resting on stands or amps, but usually confined to a couple areas, this is all over though.

I thought about flipping it once I saw it was mostly salvageable, but once I started playing it reminded me of the first bass I had - a MIM P I got in the mid-90s. Mostly the neck, my hand felt at home on it almost instantly. I'll probably keep it around a while until that feeling fades.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
This year is Real Weird already. Haven't played anything in like five years since I sold my last bass and cab when I was desperately broke, so I impulse bought a cheapo Epiphone LP Special with P90's to noodle around on. Was bullshitting at work the other day and mentioned it, and one of the guys mentioned he had a strat lying around that he'd give me for twenty bucks since he never got it to work right. So now I've gone from zero to two guitars in like a week. Turned out to be a Squier Bullet, set up for dual humbuckers. Needs a setup, of course, and definitely some fret dressing, and has one pickguard screw that's not catching so I'll probably have to shim that with a toothpick and some wood glue so it'll bite again, but for twenty bucks I'll take it.

At least this hurts less than starting bass did, but I definitely don't have the calluses anymore.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

Liquid Communism posted:

This year is Real Weird already. Haven't played anything in like five years since I sold my last bass and cab when I was desperately broke, so I impulse bought a cheapo Epiphone LP Special with P90's to noodle around on. Was bullshitting at work the other day and mentioned it, and one of the guys mentioned he had a strat lying around that he'd give me for twenty bucks since he never got it to work right. So now I've gone from zero to two guitars in like a week. Turned out to be a Squier Bullet, set up for dual humbuckers. Needs a setup, of course, and definitely some fret dressing, and has one pickguard screw that's not catching so I'll probably have to shim that with a toothpick and some wood glue so it'll bite again, but for twenty bucks I'll take it.

At least this hurts less than starting bass did, but I definitely don't have the calluses anymore.

Nice, a black strat with a black & white pickguard is so classy. How's the LP? Been looking at those for that low price to mess around.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm not good enough to really judge fine details, but from someone whose previous experience was all bass I haven't found any reasons to complain. No real fret buzz, seems to hold a tune pretty well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Figured out the problem my coworker was having with the strat. It's missing a saddle spring (minor, gonna steal one out of a mechanical pencil) and the ground to the trem claw was poorly done and cracked off at some point.

Gonna resolder it and should be fine.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Just finished putting in a pair of new pickups for my jaguar. As a bonus, the black looks way better than the off-white of the stock pups imo. I also just got a real power supply so I'm not daisy-chaining 9+ pedals all the time. Now to get a pedalboard so the cable situation in here isn't so nightmarish.

Not pictured: the treble bleed circuit I also just bought and installed but forgot to take any pictures of.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Nice. Is that a Talman bass up the back there?

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

You bet. I picked it up for like $100 a few years ago when I was looking for a cheap bass to record some demos with, and it ended up being one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Kush Limbaugh fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 21, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm presuming you're in the US - the second hand market there makes me insanely jealous. I couldn't even get a poo poo beater bass for that price!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm always amazed sometimes when I see the musicians friend deal of the day. If I needed a bass (I don't) I would pick this up.

G&L Tribute Jass bass for $299 (reg $499)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gl-tribute-jb-electric-bass/l66472000001000

Wish I had bought that green gretsch streamliner a few months back for $399 or whatever it was down from $650

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It's like the stereotypical pawn shop guitar, but for $100 you can't leave it there

Made in Japan Tele-Star, probably a Teisco. Chrome pickguard, on/off for each pickup and a parallel/series switch. Had some black tape to hold the switches to a preferred setting, luckily came off with minimal residue.

Also

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I knew I made a mistake when I put up a second guitar hanger without owning a second guitar. We all know there’s only one way to fix that though...

$80 on kijiji later, I own an Aria STG. Nothing amazing, but I could do worse for an $80. Since I’m learning bass the guitar is mostly decorative and I was hoping for something that would match the aesthetics of my Squier J. It’s not a perfect match but it’s in the ballpark and to be honest I like the way it feels in my hand enough that I might try to do some fundamental guitar lessons too, once I have some free time.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Nice! I'm also a beginner bass player first, beginner guitar player second.

If you're into their music, try out some Tool songs -- most of them have a lot of carryover between the bass and the guitar parts, so it's easy to switch between the two and get a feel for how the two instruments are played differently. 46 & 2 is particularly satisfying. The bass is played mostly open, so minimal muting of the strings, and the guitar is played really tight with a lot of palm muting.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought a guitar strap that turned out to be a camera strap. Oh well, at least it is a "Vintage" Bobby Lee strap and I could probably make it work for guitar if I tried. BUT, look at this thing.

Screams "Get a steak, meet Sinatra, get your syphilis treated, then get a happy ending!"

As far as I can tell it would be from The Black Steer Steak House and was in Greenville, SC since the address and phone # are also on it!

FYI, that address is now a Wendy's.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I also bought a strap.
Stock photo ahoy:

Black leather strap for my black acoustic.
I'd previously been using a no-name nylon strap that came with an old $80 SX bass that I bought from Rondo Music 10 years ago. So, a nice upgrade.

Also ordered a Korg Pitchclip 2+ clip on tuner. Hasn't yet arrived.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought another Made in Japan Fender Lead copy because why not?

Transparent wine red, this one is badged as a Lyle

It's very similar to the Polaris copy I have, but with differences in the coile split and serial/parallel switches and the body contours, especially on the back

Much larger belly cut on the Polaris.

This makes 4

Hondo, Hondo, Lyle, Polaris

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a Lyle acoustic from the 70's-80's I'm guessing it's pretty well made.

Nice collection

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
The Lyle is pretty good, on par with the Hondos which were made by Tokai. The Lyle is most likely made by Matsumoku, who likely also made the Polaris. Compared to the real thing from the same time period, the Japanese ones are as good or better and way cheaper.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those are super cool.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PandaMIDI's Future Impact v3. Modern emulation of Akai's Deep Impact synth, and from what I understand was designed with the developer of the original Deep Impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBH9UDVkG6c

Cannot loving wait to get my hands on it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New today

Firefly FFLP, blue with carved heel. You can't get better for $200, I might even say you can't do better for twice that.

And an old pickup

Bill Lawrence True-Sound LTS-1 from the 60s, as used by Steve Marriott on the Tele he was playing in this video. Most likely what was used to record, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ULZ1BLYn8

A 60's single coil that measures 9KOhm, and sounds it. Now I have to build a copy of Steve's Tele.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

widefault posted:

New today

Firefly FFLP, blue with carved heel. You can't get better for $200, I might even say you can't do better for twice that.

Awesome score, that is beautiful.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Here are some pics of my pair of silk stockings*. I'll also put these in the photo thread. Long story short: great annual review, decent raise, bonus, and I decided that a portion of it should go to something I want for me. My gun habit has been sated for a while, and I haven't seen the need for a new telescope, but an American Precision Bass? I've always wanted one. I have a Highway One Precision Special from 20 or so years ago, and I love it, but a plain-Jane, sunburst, apotheosis Precision? I didn't have one.

But I do now. I finally had to put it down for the night because it's getting late and I don't want to annoy the neighbors, but man, this thing is fun. "What, fun with such a bassic instrument?" Yep. You get it or you don't. And I get it. And I got this one.

It's a 2017 American Professional. That was the year that they retired the American Standard, which I'd wanted since seeing the price in a paper catalog made my wallet hurt my butt. But that's the great thing about midlife: you find ways to mitigate various crises.

Headstock again:

Here it is in all its glory. Yeah, it's simple, but I love it. It's got some heft, but it doesn't feel as heavy as my P-bass Special, which I think they made out of an old boat anchor. It's well-balanced, the neck has the perfect relief, and the action feels great--I haven't even felt the need to check it with my super special ruler thing.

Here's the body. There wasn't enough light in the room for the body to really show off the color. I might see if I can address that with a later picture, but you get the idea--it's a P-bass with a 3-color sunburst. I love this color.

* gratuitous but totally appropriate literary reference

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lovely.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Babby's first Les Paul. All I've done to it is remove the plastic stuff, set it up for my gauge of strings and made a truss-rod adjustment, took out a little relief, and set the saddle heights.

I'll give it this much: it reminds me all the little things I never really liked about Les Pauls (and I have played some crazy hot examples of the very old and the cream of the crop.) I'm sure I'll warm up to it as I play it and dial in the action a bit more.

The neck feels pretty darn thick, and it doesn't have the greatest tuning stability (although I wasn't too careful during applying the ol' nut sauce.)

I won't give up on her. She'll get new tuners, great pickups (thinking about those Fralin Pure P.A.F.s) and a Big Leg Circuits pot kit+wiring harness to bring out all the different pickup/phase options. Those parts won't stand out, so in a picture it will look pretty much the same as it does now.

Firefly very obviously buffs out their last polish coat with everything on the guitar, so there was a ton of polish left under the pickguard. Had the same issue with the FF338, just went over them with a very fine polishing compound and then a regular guitar cleaner/polish I got awhile ago; but after all that it just attracts dust like crazy. It's my only black-faced solid-body.

This batch was something like $209 shipped.

Also, I bought a vintage-looking black and gold strap to match. The strap-locks haven't been delivered yet.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Even though I already have 4 or 5 LPs(don't judge me), one of them being the blue Firefly, I still get tempted by the black customs like that. I just wish they would do a P90 version, I could justify that.

Per the Firefly Facebook group, there are SG and Jazzmaster copies in the prototype stage, as well as a Jazz bass and a Charvel-ish Strat with a humbucker in the bridge and a Tele pickup in the neck. The last two have been around for a while now, no availability dates, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajrAMyH9VM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnw2UbTWz0

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

widefault posted:

Per the Firefly Facebook group, there are SG and Jazzmaster copies in the prototype stage

I'll probably buy both of these sight unseen. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on their LP Jrs.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Ooh I'd buy a cheap rear end SG to put heavy strings on and DUNNN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN in B standard

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Not new gear per se, but I finally moved to a bigger place and could set up a music/computer room instead of having it scattered throughout my living room and bedroom.

I need a table or stand for my amp, some better cable management, and probably acoustic drumset at some point since I'm not in apartment now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was not aware they made a Jazz Chorus that small that's rad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife and I are shopping for houses and anytime we see one with an extra living room or bedroom that's the first thing in my head, music room.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I was not aware they made a Jazz Chorus that small that's rad.

JC-22, I think they released it 3 or 4 years ago. No distortion and only speed and depth controls for the chorus, but it still has stereo input/effects loop/line out, and a headphone jack. It's a great little bedroom or apartment amp if you don't want to go the modeling route for whatever reason.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Finally took pics of some new stuff I've gotten in.

"Vintage" Ace hippie strap that came with...

80's Lotus strat copy. Under $60 for the pair, and all I really wanted was the strap, so the Lotus will get cleaned up and dumped on Reverb.

Parts for my Steve Marriott Tele build. I have a neck, too, just no pics of that.

Marshall MA100H, 100 watt tube head. Beat, and not the best reputation, but...

And...

No name "vintage" seafoam green and white case with a red velvet interior that needs a little repair and a lot of cleaning. I probably paid too much, but it's too cool.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

What's particular about a Steve Marriott-tele?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Pondex posted:

What's particular about a Steve Marriott-tele?

Neck pickup, mostly. After issues with the stock one, sometime in 1967 it was removed and replaced with a Bill Lawrence True-Sound. Seen on the guitar in this performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ULZ1BLYn8

He also had what appears to be a copper control plate with a LP style toggle instead of the three way Tele switch. Not going that way on this one, since I'm not trying to make an accurate copy and most people have no idea who Steve Marriott is let alone what a guitar he played for a year looked like. He apparently smashed it into pieces, offstage, at the last Small Faces show.

Same pickup was also used by Mike Oldfield on the Tele he used for recording Tubular Bells, which would have been an even more obscure guitar to copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgEgWs51ic