Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

My faith in humanity has been shaken to the point where i'm suspecting most of the people losing their parents/grandparents to covid are not just uncaring, but actually relieved. It's the only way to explain the utter lack of concern by society.

My father in law died from Covid and none of his family or his partner are uncaring or relieved, so I am taking this somewhat personally. So, where do you get that from? How many tweets, anecdotes, articles etc from actual relatives or close friends of the dead have you seen? The lack of concern has been coming (as far as I can tell) from people who haven't lost anyone, not those who have. There have been just over 100,000 deaths. Assume that for each and every victim there are five close relatives who are grieving. That is 500,000 people. The country has what, 66 million people? It's not such a large proportion relative to the general population. Most people will not know anyone who has died, or probably even someone who is close to someone. So it's easier for them to not care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

But I have 600 friends on Facebook

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tarnop posted:

I have bad news: they are not an adequate replacement for actual friends who know you and are your friends despite that. I'm sorry. :(

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I just experienced peak horseshoe theory. I was listening to the Internationale on YouTube and it moved me to Horst Wessel Lied as the next in sequence (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is not on my YouTube playlist normally).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

My father in law died from Covid and none of his family or his partner are uncaring or relieved, so I am taking this somewhat personally. So, where do you get that from? How many tweets, anecdotes, articles etc from actual relatives or close friends of the dead have you seen? The lack of concern has been coming (as far as I can tell) from people who haven't lost anyone, not those who have. There have been just over 100,000 deaths. Assume that for each and every victim there are five close relatives who are grieving. That is 500,000 people. The country has what, 66 million people? It's not such a large proportion relative to the general population. Most people will not know anyone who has died, or probably even someone who is close to someone. So it's easier for them to not care that much.

Close relatives may not be a big percentage of the population, but the average person has a typical circle of around 25 close family members, friends and direct colleagues. And it's not just COVID that has caused deaths. There's ten years of austerity and relentless attacks on the poor and disabled to consider. At this point the Tory body count approaches if not exceeds a third of a million people. Now some people will know more than one victim and others will have died themselves. But at a conservative estimate, I'd say that one in eight people resident in the UK today knows someone that the Tories have killed through greed, malice and ineptitude.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

therattle posted:

I have bad news: they are not an adequate replacement for actual friends who know you and are your friends despite that. I'm sorry. :(

I immediately regretted making a flippant post in response to you talking about the death of a family member, so thank you for taking it in the spirit in which it was intended

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

Well I have six hundred and four cattle.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just experienced peak horseshoe theory. I was listening to the Internationale on YouTube and it moved me to Horst Wessel Lied as the next in sequence (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is not on my YouTube playlist normally).

That's brilliant. Sorry you had to find out like this.

Cool -> Cool -> Cooler -> Looking like a dickhead

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mzo2i

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I suspect the victims of Tory misrule are not equally distributed across the population though. people on the proverbial thin end of the wedge are gonna know a lot more people who have suffered, while other wealthier, louder demographics are largely unscathed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

I suspect the victims of Tory misrule are not equally distributed across the population though. people on the proverbial thin end of the wedge are gonna know a lot more people who have suffered, while other wealthier, louder demographics are largely unscathed

Yeah, "skepticism" of covid I suspect tracks pretty strongly with people in jobs and living in circumstances that minimise their risk, which also tracks pretty strongly with Torydom. Someone living in a comfy semi-detached in Harlow and who only has friends who also live in semi-detacheds in Harlow is going to have a very different view of not only the risk of Covid and other fun things like statues, grooming gangs and whether or not footballers should be allowed to talk about politics than someone living in 9 floors up in a tower block in Edmonton.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Harlow is a dump.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Isn't Harlow where they turned those old office buildings into some of the grimmest 'new' homes in a developed country, by basically just slapping down some interior walls and calling them flats?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Isn't Harlow where they turned those old office buildings into some of the grimmest 'new' homes in a developed country, by basically just slapping down some interior walls and calling them flats?

Yeah, I picked it as "generic white-flight satellite town" because Thurrock and Brentwood are over-used for that, but forgot that it has it's own unique shittiness too.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kingturnip posted:

Surely there's not only one place this has happened? We supplied some windows to one of those in London but I can't remember exactly where it was.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That's the posh bits.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Surely there's not only one place this has happened? We supplied some windows to one of those in London but I can't remember exactly where it was.

There's a big one in Croydon too, and I'm sure the idea is being replicated all over the place (and will *really* catch on this year as businesses downsize their offices).

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Harlow is a dump.

The uk is literally a repository for poo poo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just remember catching a TV piece about it and thinking that they looked like old Soviet office buildings. Built 40 years ago. And we were making people live there and somehow that was a good thing?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

Close relatives may not be a big percentage of the population, but the average person has a typical circle of around 25 close family members, friends and direct colleagues. And it's not just COVID that has caused deaths. There's ten years of austerity and relentless attacks on the poor and disabled to consider. At this point the Tory body count approaches if not exceeds a third of a million people. Now some people will know more than one victim and others will have died themselves. But at a conservative estimate, I'd say that one in eight people resident in the UK today knows someone that the Tories have killed through greed, malice and ineptitude.

The vast majority of people who have died as a direct or indirect result or Tory cuts will not have their deaths seen by most who know them as the fault of the government.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Jedit posted:

I’m legitimately surprised when I wake up every morning and the Tories haven’t been strung up like Mussolini.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

I’m legitimately surprised when I wake up every morning and the Tories haven’t been strung up like Mussolini.

I loved you in dumb and dumber, shame about the sequel.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhatEvil posted:

Nah, that's absolutely become a thing. Not hard to see why--politicians can point to how they're "new apartments", owners of unmarketable and useless garbage-tier office ruins can instead flip horrible garbage tier residential property

Wonder who'll be first to figure that they can get double the number of square metre flats by halving the floor height

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Why is there a door behind the bathroom mirror

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guys walk along the corridor and sell you hand soap and toilet roll.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Guys walk along the corridor and sell you hand soap and toilet roll.

Disturbingly plausible in a Luc Besson/Terry Gilliam dystopian way

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Borrovan posted:

Entire floor plan: https://planningdocs.redbridge.gov.uk/NorthgatePublicDocs/00313279.pdf

It won't answer your question, but whatever the answer might be, it's bound to be depressing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

At a guess. Fire escape stuff.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Love to poo poo 4ft away from the 'kitchen'

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Borrovan posted:

the soil vent pipe is in that space so I guess its a door to a riser for maintenance, seems a likely spot for stopcocks etc

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OK TBF the ones we did windows for were not as grim as that. It was at least an office building in a decent location and the places had more than one room but they were still cramped as poo poo and hastily thrown up.

It's really doing my head in that I can't remember where they were or what the builders were called.

Though on the plus side, having just looked through a list of the areas of London on Wikipedia, I have discovered there are places called "Freezywater", "Eel Pie Island" and "Pratt's Bottom", so that's good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

kecske posted:

the soil vent pipe is in that space so I guess its a door to a riser for maintenance, seems a likely spot for stopcocks etc

Oh yeah that makes sense.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tarnop posted:

I immediately regretted making a flippant post in response to you talking about the death of a family member, so thank you for taking it in the spirit in which it was intended

:tipshat:

I often err on the side of flippancy myself.

Jedit posted:

We can quibble on the figures but I’m not seeing where there is a lack of concern or grief about the people who have died from those who were close to them.

kingturnip posted:

There’s an appalling loophole (well, that makes it sound too accidental) or provision in planning law which means that office blocks can be converted into residences without planning permission. The results will be depressingly predictable.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/24/our-slum-future-the-planning-shakeup-set-to-blight-british-housing

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Nah, that's absolutely become a thing. Not hard to see why--politicians can point to how they're "new apartments", owners of unmarketable and useless garbage-tier office ruins can instead flip horrible garbage tier residential property

Wonder who'll be first to figure that they can get double the number of square metre flats by halving the floor height

Waiting for Harlow Walled City to become a thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

We can quibble on the figures but I’m not seeing where there is a lack of concern or grief about the people who have died from those who were close to them.

Where did I say there was? What I am saying is that there are far more of those grieving people than you think. Enough to make a movement, if they are brought together.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Waiting for Harlow Walled City to become a thing.

Every seven minutes or so some idiot says "Why don't we just use shipping containers as houses?" and every once in a while the idea actually gets off - well, on - the ground, before everyone realises that cutting doors, windows, plumbing etc into them destroys the structure so you don't even get the fairly small material cost savings that looking at the cost of a TEU container versus the cost of the cheapest manufactured home suggests, and that's before you even get into stuff like dealing with bathrooms, heating, insulation, etc.

However once Britannia is fully unchained, I'm sure that all of those pettyfogging jobsworth rules about "fire exits", "functional plumbing", and "actually being able just for a fraction of a second to pretend you're not in a shipping container" will be swept away and we'll be hearing breathless reports about the innovative new solution to London's housing problems and how for just half a million quid you can have your own recycled eco-home in Dagenham.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I do hope old Joe doesn't go in the night any time soon :ohdear:

In NI they've brought in the army (the British army) to the hospitals, it's that much of a shitshow here already https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55735237

There were crazy dissidents trying to shoot down a civilian helicopter last week so they're clearly bored. having army medics working in hospitals here is not without risk

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Every seven minutes or so some idiot says "Why don't we just use shipping containers as houses?" and every once in a while the idea actually gets off - well, on - the ground, before everyone realises that cutting doors, windows, plumbing etc into them destroys the structure so you don't even get the fairly small material cost savings that looking at the cost of a TEU container versus the cost of the cheapest manufactured home suggests, and that's before you even get into stuff like dealing with bathrooms, heating, insulation, etc.
The wooden shipping pallet homes for emergency housing seemed like a better idea than the containers, and you can at least insulate them, but you have to be careful what they're treated with and they wouldn't be suitable everywhere, e.g.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

sinky posted:

Love to poo poo 4ft away from the 'kitchen'

I thought building regs say you have to have a minimum of 2 doors between toilets and kitchens?

Edit: huh, that's been relaxed aparently. Dysentry for all!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I lived in something not entirely unlike this for a few months when I was between proper flats. Very grim if it’s your full-time home but acceptable as a sort of hotel room if you’re out of the house most of the time.

There’s loads of them being built right now in Sheffield marketed as ‘boutique student living’, and IIRC because they’re not let out on a standard tenancy agreement they don’t have to meet all the normal fire / housing codes. I assume once the bottom falls out of the student market there will suddenly be a lot of interest in downgrading those regulations.

E: Hmm, maybe that ^^ was the regulation I was thinking of, not sure if there are others these violate as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

I lived in something not entirely unlike this for a few months when I was between proper flats. Very grim if it’s your full-time home but acceptable as a sort of hotel room if you’re out of the house most of the time.

There’s loads of them being built right now in Sheffield marketed as ‘boutique student living’, and IIRC because they’re not let out on a standard tenancy agreement they don’t have to meet all the normal fire / housing codes. I assume once the bottom falls out of the student market there will suddenly be a lot of interest in downgrading those regulations.

E: Hmm, maybe that ^^ was the regulation I was thinking of, not sure if there are others these violate as well?

In the Before Times when I used to go up to London for a week or two, I stayed in several student rooms those sort of sizes (but without cooking facilities - there was a separate shared kitchen). OK for a week or two, but the small shower rooms in particular would have been a pain for a year or more. When I lived in student residences around 1978-81 and in a nurses' residence late 80s-early 90s, the rooms were that sort of size and had just a sink in them.
There were separate toilets, baths, showers and kitchens.