System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rutibex posted:

all i know is the local university has gone entirely remote, and like 45% of the students are international students who are not allowed in the country. this means the rent for all of the places near the university has completely bottomed out.

all the slum lords are charging half price, its fantastic
it owns that all college towns basically have a giant ring of 80-40 year old slumlord poo poo always surrounding campus because college students are easy marks and pushovers

actually it doesnt own and it sucks but why the gently caress are dorms so expensive jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

it owns that all college towns basically have a giant ring of 80-40 year old slumlord poo poo always surrounding campus because college students are easy marks and pushovers

actually it doesnt own and it sucks but why the gently caress are dorms so expensive jfc

at the two giant universities i've been to most of the slumlord apartments are owned by LLCs and REITs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah that's totally true here. perhaps slumlord is the wrong word as it implies a singular individual slumming it up, but it's LLC REIT slumlord cabals

often the LLCs are individually owned though, like my current landlord here in berkeley has the apartment in an LLC but is sole owner. she's reasonably ok for a landlord at least

i think for liability/whatever even individual slumlords are not leasing directly out from their name but rather a proxy LLC. probably very few do any lease-under-name anymore

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Jan 20, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So if you have some shithead realtor constantly pressuring you to sell, can you file harassment charges against them?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Objective Action posted:

A year ago we were all making predictions but I will go ahead and say that all of us were wrong because all of us were assuming some historical precedent with some tweaks would be how this would go.

Only problem is we are way the hell off the map in a lot of ways economically right now. We are all riding a train that went off a cliff but hasn't hit yet.

No one knows how far the drop is, no one knows if we are landing in water or the rocks, and we don't even really know how many cars are on this metaphorical train.

But I'm pretty loving sure that whenever the chickens do finally come home to roost its going to be worse than just a housing price crash this time.

yeah, we are in completely uncharted territory in terms of conventional economic theory because there are literally - as far as I am aware from my days of uni as a student - no models at all in mainstream economics that predict or deal with this type of situation we are in

maybe crisis theory will finally be the undoing of neoclassical economics because lol at any orthodox economist right now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So if you have some shithead realtor constantly pressuring you to sell, can you file harassment charges against them?

lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

human garbage bag posted:

if the spac doesn't do the merge your money sits idle in a savings account for two years while the dow triples, along with housing and food prices.

Sure, if you invest on the day the SPAC is created and you don't use your brain for the next 24 months. There's a steady crop of SPACs 3-12 months into the cycle with solid rumors/rumblings of an upcoming merger. I rarely have to wait more than 3 months for material news. And the downside protection is an invaluable thing in this made-up market that could and should blow up at any moment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Yeah I figured as much.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

yeah, we are in completely uncharted territory in terms of conventional economic theory because there are literally - as far as I am aware from my days of uni as a student - no models at all in mainstream economics that predict or deal with this type of situation we are in

maybe crisis theory will finally be the undoing of neoclassical economics because lol at any orthodox economist right now

the orthodox economic thinking is that everything weird right now is temporary and that when the crisis is over it will go back to normal

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

the orthodox economic thinking is that everything weird right now is temporary and that when the crisis is over it will go back to normal

I’m sure it is fine and the fed can continue to print dollars indefinite. naked singularities, famously common and easy to manipulate in nature

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m sure it is fine and the fed can continue to print dollars indefinite. naked singularities, famously common and easy to manipulate in nature

everything will work out in the long run, that's what the models say

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I like how land prices in the US are now like $5000/acre and you peek over the border at Canada and it's $1000/acre

So is it more complicated than "interest rates are rock bottom and everyone's buying everything" - because if that's the case, when the jobs don't come back in the next few years, won't everyone just default on the mortgages?

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

everything will work out in the long run, that's what the models say

I mean yeah eventually the sun will explode so...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MorrisBae posted:

I like how land prices in the US are now like $5000/acre and you peek over the border at Canada and it's $1000/acre

So is it more complicated than "interest rates are rock bottom and everyone's buying everything" - because if that's the case, when the jobs don't come back in the next few years, won't everyone just default on the mortgages?

well, yes, at which point the actual owner class can snap it up at bargain bin prices of $20/acre

brexit works the same way

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This particular dickhead sends me at least one a week:

Plus a bunch of other companies / investors.

Generally their next step if they can't get you to sell is to start reporting code violations your house may have over and over until the city fines you and you're forced to sell because you can't afford to fix the problems.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-24/how-pittsburgh-s-house-flippers-get-buyers-to-sell
Jesus loving Christ, this is terrifying.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Objective Action posted:

I mean yeah eventually the sun will explode so...

yeah that was keynes' response to the classicalists of his day who were insisting the government take no action in the depression because it will work out in the long run. "in the long run we're all dead."

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

MorrisBae posted:

how can I buy land in Canada?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

sneaking across the border w/ a wheelbarrow full of illegal Canadian soil.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

PawParole posted:

Sight unseen

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

you have to ask the queen most of it belongs to her

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

high school dude at the vape shop was talking to his friend whilst ringing me up. they were discussing stocks prices, and he showed me his robinhood portfolio of biomed penny stocks, lmao.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

meanolmrcloud posted:

high school dude at the vape shop was talking to his friend whilst ringing me up. they were discussing stocks prices, and he showed me his robinhood portfolio of biomed penny stocks, lmao.

~shoe shine boys talking stocks~

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Xaris posted:

~shoe shine boys talking stocks~

in this very thread even

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Please brrrrrrrr.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1350134447925039104?s=20

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

doesn't say on who lol

yes just pump the stock market more

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

gently caress I wish I could just tell whole rear end governments "gib money plz"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
brrr is monetary, imf dude saying plz fiscal

everyone in the west throughout this crisis has been doin monetary more than fiscal. why we got an asset bubble in the first place

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

fabergay egg posted:

so is it a bad idea to buy a house now or what or something

at this point my plan is to buy something and count on hyperinflation from the money printing which will be the only way the US will eventually be able to dig out of the hole its already in and the hole that next year's probably brutal austerity will dig. gonna pay off a fixed rate mortgage with toilet paper in 5-10 years

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah big companies are sitting on massive massive piles of cash and can weather a period of no rent payments. and if they run out of cash they can take out a massive loan at teeny tiny rates since their real estate assets make up the collateral, as well as the confidence that if they get big enough they become too big to fail and can expect some government bailout

if you're a corporate landlord with loans against your properties, then lowering the rent is the last thing you want to do because it lowers the value of your investment. that is, the value of a real estate holding used for rent is based on the expected future rent payments. lowering your expected future rent makes your assets worth less. this makes no sense if you think that the purpose of housing is to house people but perfect sense if you think the purpose of housing is to be an investment vehicle.

Also, rents are determined by "market rate", so they can all conclude that de facto collusion is best and they all keep rents high regardless of whether it's actually being paid or not. Can't break rank and lower it, and why should they? It's just like you said.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

at this point my plan is to buy something and count on hyperinflation from the money printing which will be the only way the US will eventually be able to dig out of the hole its already in and the hole that next year's probably brutal austerity will dig. gonna pay off a fixed rate mortgage with toilet paper in 5-10 years

Brrr is allowed, you paying mortgage with Brrr is not allowed and all mortgages will be pegged to inflation from now on.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Printed money has to go somewhere for there to be hyperinflation so... good luck with that

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1351574884137136128

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I keep looking at properties and getting depressed that I'd need a minimum of $100,000 cash on hand for a down payment on anything in Western Washington. I thought about getting a chunk of land and living off grid in a yurt or something but it's still over $100,000 for < acre anywhere within commuting distance to my job.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Not gonna read a 19-tweet Noah Smith tweetstorm but he wrote that article in response to Nathan J. Robinson lol

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1351575782129192961

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

time to fuckin make money

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Maximo Roboto posted:

Not gonna read a 19-tweet Noah Smith tweetstorm but he wrote that article in response to Nathan J. Robinson lol

he limits who can see his tweets what a fuckin coward

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

i live in the goddamn suburbs of toronto and i know a few ppl that have bought guns or are planning on doing so soon

lol

do they even realize that most robberies of people's homes people are looking for guns?

my parents had a break in a couple of years ago and all they took was a bit of jewelry and spent the rest of the time looking for firearms.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

the easiest counterpoint is "look at what's happening in canada"

like everything he's trying to disprove is happening here, and supply-side idiots are still going to be wrong, and pretty much every municpality is in developers' pockets. none of this is remotely contested.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dreylad posted:

the easiest counterpoint is "look at what's happening in canada"

like everything he's trying to disprove is happening here, and supply-side idiots are still going to be wrong, and pretty much every municpality is in developers' pockets. none of this is remotely contested.

the entirety of this argument is "these lefties say the free market won't fix housing, which is wrong because the free market fixes everything. QED"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Missing Donut posted:

Yes, that's what they're saying. Add that to the idea that constant low interest rates expected now and in the future are providing no safe area to get a return which is leading the money toward riskier investments.

The idea was made obvious on a smaller level last year -- stereotypically professional-class white-collar workers with extra money (because they're not going on vacations or eating out in COVID times) started pouring in stocks.

yeah I forgot about the low interest rates. I wonder if they’ll raise them any time soon. lol