Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I bought the world's cheapest Behringer mixer a few years ago, and it decided to recently stop outputting one of the stereo channels. I was incensed. I paid like twenty five dollars for this thing.

ULI!!!!

Also I understand what people are saying about multinational corporations being generally garbage no matter what/no ethical consumption etc., but I would personally prefer not to encourage garbage behavior with my literally one hundred and nine dollars. Jesus I guess when it's that cheap who the gently caress cares.

further edited to further say: I don't understand why some colors of the TD-3 are $110 and some are $130 maybe it's just a stock issue with sweetwater where the ugly colors aren't moving. Unless there's some secret functionality in the slightly pricier clones of which I'm not aware.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

captainOrbital posted:

I bought the world's cheapest Behringer mixer a few years ago, and it decided to recently stop outputting one of the stereo channels. I was incensed. I paid like twenty five dollars for this thing.

ULI!!!!

Also I understand what people are saying about multinational corporations being generally garbage no matter what/no ethical consumption etc., but I would personally prefer not to encourage garbage behavior with my literally one hundred and nine dollars. Jesus I guess when it's that cheap who the gently caress cares.

further edited to further say: I don't understand why some colors of the TD-3 are $110 and some are $130 maybe it's just a stock issue with sweetwater where the ugly colors aren't moving. Unless there's some secret functionality in the slightly pricier clones of which I'm not aware.

That’s way cheaper than they are anywhere else. AMS has most colors incoming (blueberry in stock) for $149, same as silver. The RD-6 is $179, again in all colors. Maybe that’s the difference you’re seeing?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re right, best not talk about anything at all until Cheese Thief posts about another instance of GAS that they have

by all means :) Seriously I have to stop buying stuff. Now I'm into Flaminco guitar btw so I don't know why I bought all these synthesizers. SID gets here Thursday,
editL RD-6 are super cool btw, love that sound for the price

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

by all means :) Seriously I have to stop buying stuff. Now I'm into Flaminco guitar btw so I don't know why I bought all these synthesizers. SID gets here Thursday,

Oh I know, you’re all over the Telecaster thread, dude :)

For real tho, at some point you might wanna start talking to a tax accountant about writing off some of those gear purchases

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

if you're getting rid of the megadrive thing pm idk how flamingo works but I have some pedals and poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/bQn3SyDh2Xo

guess who’s synthtubing now

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Oooooh, that was really interesting, I loved seeing all that older gear.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

spent some time playing with the SQ-1 today. I still can't seem to perfectly match my CV values to the CV-in range on the sample drum. it gets pretty close but I can't quite reach the 0th slice index with the CV-slice feature. but it works nominally at least lol.

Going through some old records, a lot of them are on their last legs and have been played to death. trying to give them some more life before I retire them https://soundcloud.com/natively/when-you-find

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 20, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

spent some time playing with the SQ-1 today. I still can't seem to perfectly match my CV values to the CV-in range on the sample drum. it gets pretty close but I can't quite reach the 0th slice index with the CV-slice feature. but it works nominally at least lol.

Am I understanding correctly that you can't reach the first slice (should be 0V?) with the CV from the SQ-1?

Have you tried the different CV ranges of the SQ-1 ? Otherwise you might need to add a small negative offset through another module

e: reading the drum sample manual it also looks like you can change the expected CV range for the CV inputs:

quote:

You can also adjust the CV input range by holding SHIFT and rotating the encoders A, B and C.
Available CV ranges are:
-5V to +5V - most common voltage range used by most LFO modules
-10V to +10V - not too common voltage range, but some LFOs use it
0 to +5V - common voltage range used by “sequenced” LFOs like Malekko Voltage Block
0 to +10V - voltage range usually outputted from envelope generators
1V/Oct - voltage range used by most sequencers (no depth setting on this one)
NB! When set to 1V/Oct and SMP: SAMPLE - 64 samples are selected with 64 notes
starting from C-0
When set to 1V/Oct and SLICE: INDEX - 32 slices are selected with 32 notes starting
from C-0

You might need to play a bit with this too maybe. Is it set to 1V/Oct and Slice:INDEX? That would make things easy since you may then set the SQ-1 to Chroma and 5V or 2V depending on the number of slices

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 20, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ve been playing with the settings on the sample drum. I’ll have to dig out the sq manual and fiddle with it again. Thanks

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ve been playing with the settings on the sample drum. I’ll have to dig out the sq manual and fiddle with it again. Thanks

The SQ-1 CV range can be changed on the fly to be like this (as written on the front)

0-1V
0-2V
0-5V
0-8V

The first 3 can be set to V/Oct with chromatic, minor or major scale, or no quantizing (linear)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/XEggWkX2Lns

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The SQ-1 CV range can be changed on the fly to be like this (as written on the front)

0-1V
0-2V
0-5V
0-8V

The first 3 can be set to V/Oct with chromatic, minor or major scale, or no quantizing (linear)

thanks, it was on 8v for some reason. I can get the full cv sweep with 5V on the SQ-1 and the 0-5V setting on the sample drum CV in. I'll see about whether chroma or linear behaves nicer in practice

\/\/\/ that makes sense, its' fiddly as hell on linear. I sampled some other tracks from this Isley bros record so I'll try again later

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 20, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

thanks, it was on 8v for some reason. I can get the full cv sweep with 5V on the SQ-1 and the 0-5V setting on the sample drum CV in. I'll see about whether chroma or linear behaves nicer in practice

If I understand correctly, it'll be easier to configure the Sample Drum to accept V/oct for slice selection and set the SQ-1 to chromatic quantizing. That way the SQ-1 sends the exact CV value for each slice. Then you could even use a keyboard or any sequencer to trigger slices.

Also you could use the 2 CV tracks of the SQ-1 to control 2 different samples in the Drum Sample since it has 2 inputs/outputs. But then it'll be 2*8steps instead of 1*16 steps

e:

^^^^^
Yeah it was me who told you to set the SQ-1 to linear because I didn't know the sample drum accepts V/Oct. Sorry about that

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The MegaFM has a best friend now, the dual SID chips with 3 voice multitimbral

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Quick question for anyone who has used the behringer 303 to sequence external gear via cv: does it output the portamento/slew over cv or is that part of the sound engine? Local store is getting rid of them for like half price or something.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

field balm posted:

Quick question for anyone who has used the behringer 303 to sequence external gear via cv: does it output the portamento/slew over cv or is that part of the sound engine? Local store is getting rid of them for like half price or something.

Yes it outputs the slide in the CV

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I knew the pads on the MPC One were smaller than normal MPC pads but I don't think I was really prepared for how small they are in person :q:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Little jam using mostly the Make Noise shared system

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/the-wayfarer

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

toadee posted:

Yes it outputs the slide in the CV

Very cool. Ordered a black one to sequence the modular - came out a decent chunk cheaper than an sq1 and now I can use it as a 303 for my Drexciya larping too.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Big fan of that arpy mallet kinda sound!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Man I thought I’d sworn off hardware synths aside from my one row of euro but the modwave from that batch of new Korg poo poo is making me think about it. Looks like a really fun synth at a pretty reasonable price.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

So I found a Maschine in the garbage and replaced the USB jack so it works again.
I have a new laptop on the way looking forward to making some lovely beats.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thumposaurus posted:

So I found a Maschine in the garbage and replaced the USB jack so it works again.

hwhat

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Thumposaurus posted:

the

GARBAGE

:negative:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/J1yaYnRtVx8

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Well that certainly is something :eyepop:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The resonance/fuzz that comes in at 2:47 is dialed in nicely.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

the

GARBAGE
.533r

5mQRu135 pp

:negative:

Let's just say check your local music stores trash occasionally if you're good at fixing things.

The side panel is still missing on this side and I had to put new knobs on but it appears to be 100% now.

I got this Elka Rhapsody 610 and Yamaha Motif the same way. I changed the fuses on the Elka and it works beautifully.

The yamaha has a bunch of bad switches that I need to tear into it to fix. It's about 80% working at the moment.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wow I really like that top one, looks solid as a steel tank + sliders, that's awesome. I bet it sounds very warm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to admit that I never thought about dumpster diving the local music store, but now...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's an old Italian "string machine" it sounds amazing.

I made this short video clip right after I got it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcWGqNV16O0

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Thumposaurus posted:

Let's just say check your local music stores trash occasionally if you're good at fixing things.

The side panel is still missing on this side and I had to put new knobs on but it appears to be 100% now.

I got this Elka Rhapsody 610 and Yamaha Motif the same way. I changed the fuses on the Elka and it works beautifully.

The yamaha has a bunch of bad switches that I need to tear into it to fix. It's about 80% working at the moment.

CME keeps their dumpster locked inside the loading dock for just this reason, I think. Unless I need to swing by there at a different time of day/night...

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

analog, samples, and effects with individual outs? man if the sampling capability and workflow is reasonable, add this to the list of drum machines/samplers that i kinda want but can never bring myself to commit to, hope the snare sounds better than what’s in the clip in the final version

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

this is great! how much planning and prearrangement goes into something like this vs live improvised knob twiddling?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pillow Face posted:

this is great! how much planning and prearrangement goes into something like this vs live improvised knob twiddling?

Thanks! Usually there's not much planning involved besides recording with a patch I've just been jamming with for an hour or more.

I always start with the techno system mostly prepatched as a drum machine and the remaining cases blank.

Then I start patching a few voices and build from there, trials and errors until I like it. The sequences are often not planned at all. René is great for picking a few notes, turning knobs and letting something nice emerge. Then since I mostly use basic melodic loops I can settle for one I like and start twiddling, removing notes or gates, playing with filters, envelopes and effects. This was the resulting patch.

After I keep having fun with it for an hour, adding drums and refining things like levels and automation.

Eventually I hit record and improvise based on the recent session, trying to condense things into a track, so much shorter and trying to keep things moving all the time. So it's mainly about having fun and recording something when I feel it's worth it. So probably 10%-20% of the patches I make.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 22, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/XP5rakahDbs

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

stop making me like this

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to admit that I never thought about dumpster diving the local music store, but now...

rickiep00h posted:

CME keeps their dumpster locked inside the loading dock for just this reason, I think. Unless I need to swing by there at a different time of day/night...

I worked for a small chain for a while, all had padlocked dumpsters all the time because of divers. We threw out SO MUCH poo poo, a lot of times declined repairs or already finished and never paid for repairs on pieces we couldn't move.
Only good stuff I was able to cop over time was a gem mini, manuals, sample sets that kinda stuff. :/

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Startyde posted:

I worked for a small chain for a while, all had padlocked dumpsters all the time because of divers. We threw out SO MUCH poo poo, a lot of times declined repairs or already finished and never paid for repairs on pieces we couldn't move.
Only good stuff I was able to cop over time was a gem mini, manuals, sample sets that kinda stuff. :/

I mean, I guess I kind of get it, but it seems absolutely atrocious to knowingly lock away garbage that someone else can make use of, and guarantee it making GBS threads up a landfill just out of spite/because they might make a little mess.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Thanks! Usually there's not much planning involved besides recording with a patch I've just been jamming with for an hour or more.

oh cool! do you have your stuff on any platform besides soundcloud? or like the wavs available to dl? usually i only go on soundcloud when i see an sc link here, but i really am not a fan of the interface

toadee posted:

I mean, I guess I kind of get it, but it seems absolutely atrocious to knowingly lock away garbage that someone else can make use of, and guarantee it making GBS threads up a landfill just out of spite/because they might make a little mess.

the synths of wrath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's why it you do this you leave no trace of having been there.

I've actually talked to the guys where I go about it they don't care if it's gone in there they are getting paid by insurance or the manufacturer for a defective product so they already got their money.