Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

“we” lol, nice to know what team you’re on

he’s quoting Stalin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/OliverStuenkel/status/1350801773796143105

complete brazen lie lol these are the people who serve as our media talking to foreigners

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Plutonis posted:

insane tweet

complete brazen lie lol these are the people who serve as our media talking to foreigners

what the gently caress

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Taintrunner posted:

at least we did it to ourselves, and not to another country.

this is a super important distinction to the dead, yes

https://twitter.com/BrentBozell/status/1352016478850191362

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Plutonis posted:

https://twitter.com/OliverStuenkel/status/1350801773796143105

as someone who doesn’t know any of the history, what’s he lying about

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

as someone who doesn’t know any of the history, what’s he lying about

castelo branco did the coup because the US government was worried Brazil's social reforms such as nationalizing some industries and introducing rent control would lead the country to become sympathetic towards communists. then brazil remained firmly aligned with the US under the military dictatorship

fermun has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Jan 21, 2021

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/christmas-1953-lost-liberal-opportunities-soviet-union

quote:

Although a loathsome mass murderer and rapist — he was noted for kidnapping young women whom he found attractive — he was competent and effective. Not just in brutal repression. During World War II, he oversaw the production of strategic raw materials; later Stalin placed Beria in charge of the nuclear weapons program. An academic horrified by Beria’s crimes, Yury Khariton, nevertheless admitted that “It was impossible not to admit his intellect, willpower, and purposefulness. He was a first class manager, able to bring every job to its conclusion.”

More significant, he was no doctrinaire communist, despite joining the Bolsheviks. During the ensuing civil war, Beria fought against the Red Army and was almost executed after his surrender. He expressed no political views as he rose through the security services. When freed from Stalin’s oversight, he veered toward the liberal, even radical.

:yikes:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Beria was the one who had to have a rag stuffed in his mouth before they shot him because he wouldn’t stop screaming and begging, right? Sounds like someone the cato boys would see themselves as.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if I were going to be shot I’d probably be screaming and begging too tbh

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

The COVID death count is also underestimated, and like the Iraq body count, look at it again in 5 or 10 years. COVID will probably pass 1 million US dead in the next few months.

Also the completely uncontrolled spread in the US has got to have had knock on effects in our neighboring countries, even if travel is restricted.

Also also, we're responding to Taintrunner posts for some reason.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flesh Forge posted:

this is a super important distinction to the dead, yes

https://twitter.com/BrentBozell/status/1352016478850191362

Listening to fox news for 30 seconds proves this to not be the case

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Also the completely uncontrolled spread in the US has got to have had knock on effects in our neighboring countries, even if travel is restricted.

Also also, we're responding to Taintrunner posts for some reason.

iraq war, not as bad as covid. cool, got it. you know the hot takes are supposed to come from other people, and not yourselves, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Listening to fox news for 30 seconds proves this to not be the case

There’s also the background image of this forum.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmao at calling Beria a liberal

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

iraq war, not as bad as covid. cool, got it. you know the hot takes are supposed to come from other people, and not yourselves, right?

in the long run, yes, COVID is going to make all the war death counts combined look small time

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmao at calling Beria a liberal

hey he had the same taste in women as bill clinton so he would probably fit right in with today's modern libs

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Here's one from inside the thread.

This but Iran.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

in the long run, yes, COVID is going to make all the war death counts combined look small time

right, but nobody spent years calling for a lethal pandemic to slaughter over 2 million plus.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/amandapalmer/status/1352014085869588480?s=19

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

right, but nobody spent years calling for a lethal pandemic to slaughter over 2 million plus.

no, they got it done in under a year.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Man they're going to feel embarrassed when they do find out who she is

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Party Boat posted:

Man they're going to feel embarrassed when they do find out who she is
as someone pointed out over in PYF, clearly they knew who she is and they thought she was going back home because of this

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
moving to Aotearoa New Zealand and aggressively working “Aotearoa New Zealand” into everything I say until even the Maoris tell me to just loving call it New Zealand

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HooverGreen/status/1351954197865000966?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, none of the other senators got ’shopped into countless amusing images, so Bernie did more emotional labor than all of them put together.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

and that coffeeshop’s name was Albert Einstein

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

When you think about it, none of the other senators got ’shopped into countless amusing images, so Bernie did more emotional labor than all of them put together.

https://twitter.com/sings2trees/status/1352047034967142402?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wasn’t the discourse on emotional labor originally “it sucks and no one should have to do it”, not “gently caress you. Suffer with me”?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

I didn't even notice who posted this at first but it makes so much more sense now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
fu

NightGyr posted:

I didn't even notice who posted this at first but it makes so much more sense now

gently caress

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Platystemon posted:

Wasn’t the discourse on emotional labor originally “it sucks and no one should have to do it”, not “gently caress you. Suffer with me”?

it was originally applied to service jobs where an essential part of the labor was pretending you were only happy and that you cared but the definition warped into complete nonsense and applied to having to have an emotion in relation to other people

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
"emotional labor" got turned into "my loved ones relying on me for emotional support" somehow. Real sociopath poo poo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as with many other useful concepts the libs got their hands on it and immediately twisted the whole thing into a shield for being a selfish piece of poo poo

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Platystemon posted:

nah it's an important part of some occupations and isn't inherently bad

quote:

Arlie Hochschild: Emotional labor, as I introduced the term in The Managed Heart, is the work, for which you’re paid, which centrally involves trying to feel the right feeling for the job. This involves evoking and suppressing feelings. Some jobs require a lot of it, some a little of it. From the flight attendant whose job it is to be nicer than natural to the bill collector whose job it is to be, if necessary, harsher than natural, there are a variety of jobs that call for this. Teachers, nursing-home attendants, and child-care workers are examples. The point is that while you may also be doing physical labor and mental labor, you are crucially being hired and monitored for your capacity to manage and produce a feeling.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nickwestes/status/1352082663855722497

https://twitter.com/RachelAnnSnow/status/1352273341831282689
sorry woody guthrie, you're cancelled for being a settler-colonialist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe anti-settler twitter would like this more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHicyqMML4

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
libs can't imagine indigenous people being included in the intended audience of song about solidarity

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lol what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

also lol what the gently caress