Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Been playing while my transfer is hung, totally expecting progress to go away. The Berlin Techno club is amazing, and I did the murder mystery on level 2, and got the target to figure out who I am, hand me the documents, then go outside to throw herself off a balcony after you tell her some stuff. I assume their are other outcomes to this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can increase the size of interaction prompts (by a bit, they're not huge even at max size) and also increase the subtitle size.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
You can also increase the size of the text if you get reaaaalllly close to your computer or television screen. But that's generally considered bad for your eyes, so it's a tradeoff.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just finished Dubai for the first time and simply getting SA put me at 135th in the world in the leaderboards. Servers must be pretty borked right now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Still waiting on the transfer site to come up for me. Also, if you haven't checked it out, view the benchmark for Dartmoor :sbahj:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Note to those who have H2 off of PSNow - It looks like for the purposes of importation you are NOT credited with that content. If you want to play the H2 levels in H3 you have to purchase them separately.

It'll transfer your progress just fine though.

edit: It turns out you CAN get the H2 content off PSNow, which makes it a great deal if you've got a trial code lying around or just are ok with burning $10 to get the trial before it leaves on Feb 1. You need to download H2 then go to the store IN H2 to access the DL pass

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 21, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Based on what I am seeing so far, the writing does not disappoint as being just excruciating. It also looks like they decided to use a lot of Hitman 3 as an excuse to build out features for their james bond products.

Xanderkish posted:

The more I think about it, it's fascinating how IOI seems to have the polar opposite problem of a lot of other AAA developers, which is that it has a really good core product, but its business-side of things is just a mess. It's been a poison pill for three publishers now (although to be fair, Epic Games' dumb exclusivity definitely did a lot to help with that, although at the same time it seems like they promoted it a lot more than the previous publishers did).

Oh, the quality of the product is also intensely variable. Absolution exists.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 21, 2021

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Phoix posted:

I enjoyed the level in a vacuum but yeah as a send off to the franchise it's kind of awful. Especially when you consider that the previous games had 6 full levels.

you can't even make contracts for the level, so it's p much purely for story resolution. kinda questionable, feels like a trilogy this big shouldve had a big send-off level, or at least a highly difficult one, a la Hunter and Hunted.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
While I'm waiting to get my PC progress synced up, I started the Hitman 1 levels in VR and lemme tell you, shooting somebody in the head in VR is quite a weird experience. The VR stuff (especially the sound design) amps up both the slapstick and the serial killer energy. Like when you blast somebody you hear more gross meaty noises and you can more easily see the wound. It takes home the brutality more than the non-VR version. But it also changes how you play and makes the old levels feel like a whole new challenge to figure out. I'm back to the place where any run where I survive is a good run on all these levels, and that's a great feeling to be able to get back after memorizing so many routes. And it's fun to just look around and notice things you maybe never did before. It even draws me into the ambient conversations more. It's really something.

Running around in Smooth is the easiest to control but it can make you motion sick if you're doing a lot of quick moves and turns. I would like for the ability to snap more than once if you hold the stick. Ledge climbing is also super disorienting especially if you have to lean to get your face out of the geometry. Still though, it's wildly impressive for being on PSVR. While I can't do much more than an hour at a time, I do think I'll eventually play the entire trilogy in it, especially if it's eventually a launch app for a new fancy PSVR for PS5 that doesn't have the same fidelity problems. I wouldn't recommend playing a level for the first time in VR because definitely some of the environs will not wow you first time out, considering the pop in and reduced crowd sizes. But it is a hell of a thing that's made me no longer regret having a PSVR given I'd really only liked Astro Bot that I've tried.

(im on ps4 pro and it mostly looks fine to me. Definitely can see all the rough edges and having a firefight with a distant enemy is a waste of time probably considering they'll be so few pixels you won't be able to pick them out. But it's good enough.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Eh, nevermind, I am not here to start a fight.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 21, 2021

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on what I am seeing so far, the writing does not disappoint as being just excruciating. It also looks like they decided to use a lot of Hitman 3 as an excuse to build out features for their James Bond products.

Oh, the quality of the product is also intensely variable.

To the latter point, I disregard anything made before 2016 in my opinion. And if you were referring to the Hitman Trilogy I'm afraid to inform you that I am what might be called a Hitman superfan and if there was a plushie version of Agent 47 I would probably buy it, so I will brook no such heresies.

As to the former, yeah, the writing and linear portions of the gameplay felt way more filmic in that kind of Modern Warfare style. The Dubai intro is basically a carbon copy of Mission Impossible, the mansion has major Knives Out (and countless other mansion mystery) vibes, and there's plenty of other sequences that are just weirdly dripping with melodrama in a series that is at its best when it is leaning into the absurdity of the world's most dour white guy fooling everyone because he put on a hat.

The first game managed to have the story work well by being mostly relegated to short (and slick) cutscenes that said a lot of poo poo that didn't mean much but was really cool about doing it. The second game then started leaning more into the melodrama with the downside of no longer slick cutscenes, and then in this game that melodrama starts infecting the gameplay more.

Just to give an example, in this game, there's at least three different levels where you start with no or a strongly limited buildout, where in the first game there was only one. It's trying to railroad the player more down a set path of gameplay, and while that does helpfully go away on reruns, it's not a trend I want to see them continuing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd like to know what features you see are being tested for James Bond. I hope the train level is not an indication of things to come for that game.

e: I am genuinely curious, not defensive. I am very interested to see what that JB game is gonna look like.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

doctor iono posted:

you can't even make contracts for the level, so it's p much purely for story resolution. kinda questionable, feels like a trilogy this big shouldve had a big send-off level, or at least a highly difficult one, a la Hunter and Hunted.

Hokkaido and Sgail were both excellent in that regard. Hokkaido upped the difficulty on a first run by taking away your loadout and giving you some really spectacular ways to kill your targets. Sgail, meanwhile, was dripping with atmosphere and social commentary that made it hugely emotionally satisfying to murder people literally burning money.

Feels like Hitman 3 missed opportunities to that. I mean, Dubai is basically a gilded tumor on the face of the earth so it'd be fertile ground for more of that commentary, but instead we're focusing on the ICA/Providence war, which really isn't that interesting.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I wish customizable difficulty had made it into the series capstone. I love everything about Master (I even loved the stuff from Hitman 1 that didn't make it into 2, like the held item restrictions based on your uniform) except the save limits. Especially now that, as far as I can tell, there aren't any difficulty mode specific challenges anymore.

doctor iono posted:

It would sting less if there was a roadplan for DLC so we could have more traditional maps to look forward to, but, with there being no announcements (that I've seen), it is a bummer that it's the de facto send-off.

That being said, it's a neat level with a number of interesting new mechanics (one time use tools, fuses in bright lights to blind people, crafting a god drat suppressor from an oil filter), and I'm a sucker for moving train levels just in general. I think something in a similar vein would work okay for a game made for Daniel Craig Bond.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am glad I bought Hitman 3 even though I’m only through Vermont in H2. Playing the H2 levels via the H3 launcher is a much better experience.

Note: to get it to work on PS5, beyond wrestling with the carryover system which finally worked for me, you also need to select an H2 map in the H3 launcher and when it says “get access” follow the prompts to download some 1mb patch from the PS store that unlocks them all. I think you need H2 installed, as well. But I think that 1mb patch bridges the gap or something.

Anyways, the lighting system that H3 brings to the H2 maps is much better. Things are very, very pretty now and the HDR is much more rich. I think there’s ray tracing or screen space reflections or something too. Is the game now running at 60fps? It really feels like it. It also brings adaptive trigger support and more haptics feedback and boy is it rad to feel the hefty weight of the trigger pull of a sniper rifle vs the silverballers. Pulling the trigger, even to just shoot a camera, feels like much more of a substantial act now.

In the Vermont map, which steps do you have to take to get both targets together and next to each other at the backyard party so you can shoot them with a single sniper rifle shot? I really want to, even though I still don’t have a silenced sniper rifle.

I also am seriously considering doing a fourth run (after succeeding at the above) just to deliver all the mail lol. What is wrong with me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's almost entirely the stuff between levels, the core plot, which races from horrible cliche to horrible cliche. What's new this time is a bunch of them are direct beat for beat retreads of points from previous hitman games. "You murdered my parents", Diana betraying 47 but not really again, the villain pointlessly not actually killing 47 for zero reason again, the magic plot device serum again, being overcome via the Power of Friendship again, ICA hunting 47 again, taking down ICA again, nonsensical retcons to the structure of Providence.

It solidifies my belief that parts of the plot had been something the studio had been wanting to run with for a very, very long time- there was censored writer bible material in the making-of materials from Absolution that made it seem like 47 was always going to have killed Diana's family, though in earlier versions her brother had disappeared, not died.

As always the actual in-level dialogue is miles better. That said, I've noticed there's just less depth to information- in 2016 there would often be unique info found in different locations, isolated references that would tie into other locations and plot points. In this entry, if you find a piece of background information on some paper in one place, there will probably be a pair of NPCs discussing it almost word for word nearby. Connections between characters are explicitly thrown at you. It diminishes the sense of the "world of assassination" as it once was. I'll be able to speak to the in-level writing with more confidence once I actually get to play the game...eventually.

Firstborn posted:

I'd like to know what features you see are being tested for James Bond. I hope the train level is not an indication of things to come for that game.

e: I am genuinely curious, not defensive. I am very interested to see what that JB game is gonna look like.

The camera scanning and the disposable one use keys stand out in particular. I absolutely think the linear final level's also a sort of Bond tryout- it would be right at home in any Bond game. That said, I also think some of the nonlinear objective structures like Berlin are also intended as proofs of concept. My guess is the entire trilogy being "bond-esque" was not coincidental.

Blind Rasputin posted:

In the Vermont map, which steps do you have to take to get both targets together and next to each other at the backyard party so you can shoot them with a single sniper rifle shot? I really want to, even though I still don’t have a silenced sniper rifle.

Destroy all the cameras on the map.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 21, 2021

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I'm pretty sure IOI specifically said there wouldn't be any new maps as DLC. post-release support for stuff like special assignments and elusive targets remains murky, but there's definitely no new maps coming.

I assume it's pretty much all hands on deck for the 007 game, considering how much high-profile attention it's going to receive compared to the relatively niche Hitman series.

that all being said, the amount of content in the trilogy as a whole, all in one place, really warms my heart :3

as someone who thought Absolution sounded the death knell for anything I liked about the franchise, the last 4 years have been such a delight.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
it's really been such a gift

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
RE: Discendo Vox (Because I am not ready to quote spoilers yet) -

While I admit some of your posting about the story makes me roll my eyes a bit, if you would forgive the backhandedness of that, having you elaborate on it does make it more understandable, even if I do not completely agree. (I do not mind the whole Providence War thing even if it is just merely "there" at best)

Anyway I sure would like to draw my own conclusions so hopefully the transfer site can stop being on fire long enough to do what I want to do.

I was hoping that it would all be resolved by the time I got off work :(

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 21, 2021

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Still waiting on the transfer site to come up for me. Also, if you haven't checked it out, view the benchmark for Dartmoor :sbahj:

just came in to comment on that. holy poo poo does the destructible environment look nice, I had no idea this engine was capable of it. Hope this means shooting through doors and walls is a thing now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I appreciate that it's probably annoying, Unlucky7, and I'll try to tone it down until more people have had a chance to play. I think I'm hypersensitive from having ground my face into the series, especially Absolution. The trilogy could have almost the exact same gameplay and levels and even a lot of its characters without doing these things, is all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Slugnoid posted:

just came in to comment on that. holy poo poo does the destructible environment look nice, I had no idea this engine was capable of it. Hope this means shooting through doors and walls is a thing now.

So I imagine that level runs where you go in guns blazing are probably annoying and don’t gather you many points (also don’t the main targets run off, making a full guns blazing run impossible?), but if the destructible rooms are that cool then drat maybe it’s worth it at least once?

I mean, I unlock all these cool assault rifles and I guess I should use them?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
the class war element of the new Hitman trilogy is easily the most interesting part of its story/themes, and they probably could've leaned even harder into it in this game

I understand that I am saying this about a game where literally Dubai is the first level lol

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

So I imagine that level runs where you go in guns blazing are probably annoying and don’t gather you many points (also don’t the main targets run off, making a full guns blazing run impossible?), but if the destructible rooms are that cool then drat maybe it’s worth it at least once?

I mean, I unlock all these cool assault rifles and I guess I should use them?

They dont gather you many points, but some of the most fun ive had in H2 is just walking up to the drug lord's mansion with just an AK and going full assault on the building. Knocking on the gate and firing an unsilenced pistol into the guards eye through the slot when he opens it. :madmax:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ymgve posted:

Make some noise

I overheard two people taking that implied this was the answer! :) I just haven't actually gotten around to doing it right. Something with the radio? But he's upstairs...

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Played through Dubai twice just to check it out and now I feel satisfied waiting until they resolve the carryover issues so I can start obsessively ticking boxes. (Although it's a pain - I'd totally forgotten that electronic keycards, lockpicks, basically everything you use regularly are unlockables.)

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed just walking around and soaking in the environment before you get to know the levels inside out. They've always been excellent at creating atmosphere and it just feels cool to be walking around at the top of this skyscraper in Dubai.

Also I naturally wanted to assassinate a target by shoving him off the edge (I'm sure you can trigger them to go near somehow) but couldn't manage it and so instead I just hoiked some poor random dude over. Lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

freebooter posted:

Lol. Furthermore: was there ever a good reason for a game which perfectly lends itself to an episodic structure to even have a Hitman 2 and a Hitman 3 instead of just releasing new episodes? Instead of this Matryoshka doll where it's importing Hitman 2's files after Hitman 2 imported Hitman 1's? They never rebuilt the engine, did they?

I'm still stuck on pending... I assume, since none of my save data has popped up yet. Every time I try to click through an open the carryover website in the PS4 browser it's just a blank screen. If I'd known this was gonna be such a hassle I was have stayed up a bit later last night to set it in motion.

The reason for that was everybody hated the episodic structure.

I loved it but lots of people loving went ballistic over the idea of a-la-carte Hitman for some reason.

Also, if you watch the documentary about IOI, sales were awful during the month to month period of H1. It wasn't until H1 was done that they started seeing money.

I can't blame them for getting gunshy and switching back to boxed copies at that point; its is very very vocally want the community demanded of them. (stupid and pointless as it is, since you could always just wait and buy the maps at the end when they're all out if you prefer!!)

Chief Savage Man posted:

While I'm waiting to get my PC progress synced up, I started the Hitman 1 levels in VR and lemme tell you, shooting somebody in the head in VR is quite a weird experience. The VR stuff (especially the sound design) amps up both the slapstick and the serial killer energy. Like when you blast somebody you hear more gross meaty noises and you can more easily see the wound. It takes home the brutality more than the non-VR version. But it also changes how you play and makes the old levels feel like a whole new challenge to figure out. I'm back to the place where any run where I survive is a good run on all these levels, and that's a great feeling to be able to get back after memorizing so many routes. And it's fun to just look around and notice things you maybe never did before. It even draws me into the ambient conversations more. It's really something.

The idea of actually like sitting down next to your target and having them say some intimidating poo poo right in your face is wild. (and then shooting them in the back of the head)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 21, 2021

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Unfortunately the reality of game marketing is that you just can’t attract casual customers six times in a year. Hardcore fans will stick with you but not the dabblers. It’s much easier to hype one single release and get all the money up front.

I agree the episodic releases were great in H1 because it meshes well with replying the levels for mastery instead of blazing through the campaign.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

It just seemed too much like some predatory dlc type thing unless you knew better, which your average consumer of course did not.
Some of that is on them for not explaining it better but also there was so much pointless whining about the episodic nature because people didnt get it was basically just getting to play finished levels early

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Everyone desperately trying to complete their transfers while I sit here laughing. And wondering why my Amazon preorder hasn't shipped.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

My guess is the entire trilogy being "bond-esque" was not coincidental.

This is a really really weird argument.
You really think IOI conceived of a giant conspiracy to sell 3 hitman games to subsidize getting the Bond license 10 years down the line?

Their company nearly died like 3 times along the way. Dude, no. No way.

They built Hitman games starting back in 2006 and they've been making better versions of it since because its what they're known for.
They tried making Absolution because they thought the industry wanted more actiony cover shooters and everybody hated it and said "we want Hitman to be Hitman" so they said "okay back to that then"
Now they've made 3 of those, feel like they've done what they can with 47, and see the Bond license as a popular thing which allows them to transition while still keeping the gameplay similar to what they know.

That's... a good thing. Earlier when the Bond announcement came out, this whole thread was like "oh cool, that'll be perfect. They know how to do that"
You're the only one who for some reason is like "lol IOI lazy bastards using Hitman to test out Bond features"

Also, the idea that adding a Camera means they must be testing Bond features is pretty silly. There's very little new mechanics in H3 compared to H1->H2, they've already implemented most of the obvious ideas they had and anything else they may have tested seems to have gotten cut for not working. "Lets add a camera so you can take pictures of things" is a pretty reasonable tool to add that feels pretty different from throwing coins or explosive duckies.

Its not coincidental at all! Its obviously not. But you have cause and effect backwards. They're not making Hitman to make Bond. They're making Bond because they made Hitman.

Its like saying "Oh Id only made Doom so they could make Quake" like.... I guess? They definitely weren't saying that in the design meetings though, they were trying to sell a game and stay afloat. And nearly every game company out there just makes sequels to their last game because its cheaper than starting entirely fresh on something they have no experience on.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 21, 2021

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Money has always seemed like an issue for these games, and never a priority of the devs (well until they had to get h3 finished i guess) which is what makes these games so drat good, them getting the bond license and budget has to be a dream come true and a well deserved reward for their efforts over the past few years

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate that it's probably annoying, Unlucky7, and I'll try to tone it down until more people have had a chance to play. I think I'm hypersensitive from having ground my face into the series, especially Absolution. The trilogy could have almost the exact same gameplay and levels and even a lot of its characters without doing these things, is all.

I apologize for being rude as well. I tend to be hypersensitive to negativity myself.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

They built Hitman games starting back in 2006 and they've been making better versions of it since because its what they're known for.

lol codename 47 was released when the twin towers were still up. Its stunning that IOI kept the same voice actor for more than two decades.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Slugnoid posted:

lol codename 47 was released when the twin towers were still up. Its stunning that IOI kept the same voice actor for more than two decades.

Yeah, somehow I messed up, Blood Money was 06, Codename 47 was ... 2000?

We're getting old :corsair:

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
and yet 47 stays the same age forever :cry:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Slugnoid posted:

and yet 47 stays the same age forever :cry:

Are we sure its the same 47? :tinfoil: He is a clone after all...

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Are we sure its the same 47? :tinfoil: He is a clone after all...

What do you think happens when you get killed, you just come back to life?!

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

I actually seem to remember them dropping bateson for absolution before u-turning, and me feeling sorry for him as he posted on social media saying he woke up "Feeling like poo poo", so i'm glad he's still in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Okay so my transfer finally completed, a little too late for tonight but I can still check some things out. Looks like the Requiem pack or whatever is missing since I don't have the ICA19 Black Lily anymore, though there's a new all-black gun from the Deluxe so whatever it's not a big deal they'll sort it out.

What is a big deal is the addition, seemingly without fanfare, of the ICA19 Classic. This is the gun I basically always wanted: An unsuppressed version of the Silverballer/ICA19. Yes, there's the ICA19 Full Auto, but that's... well, full auto. Renders the HWK21 almost completely useless though. Granted, the ICA19 Classic is, itself, basically useless, as it has no better stopping power than the ICA19 and isn't suppressed, but it's just so smooth. I wonder if this is the unlock that replaced the shockphone or something? Maybe it's a new default.