Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I always thought her plot in the book dragged hard. The shorter TV version worked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Expanse has always been more concerned with being a character drama that has action and adventure than being an action adventure with character drama tacked on.

It didn't really waste time, and it was needed to better understand Filip, Naomi and Marco's motivations moving forward; and I really loved the scene with Naomi and Cyn at the table.

I've only read books 6-8, though; I can believe that this plot is a bit of a depressing slog in the books.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's basically the same plot but takes a lot longer. It's not very interesting because 90% of it Naomi has no agency and is just trapped on a ship being poo poo on. It's not bad, it just gets to the point where you want her to escape and get back to being able to do stuff.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

It's basically the same plot but takes a lot longer. It's not very interesting because 90% of it Naomi has no agency and is just trapped on a ship being poo poo on. It's not bad, it just gets to the point where you want her to escape and get back to being able to do stuff.

drat are you talking about Book 4 or 5???

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

pik_d posted:

We don't talk about Book 4.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

pik_d posted:

or book 8?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

She was doing stuff on that ship

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Grand Fromage posted:

Daniel doesn't seem to like press as much, but he's a writer on the show and working on the books so I'm sure he's busy. Ty is more into drinking tequila and posting.

Sounds like your suspicions are confirmed by the aftershow this week where Daniel finally shows up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Sounds like your suspicions are confirmed by the aftershow this week where Daniel finally shows up

Coolio, I haven't watched it yet.

Daniel used to do more though. When SyFy had The Churn as the official show podcast, Ty and Daniel were on every episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also the other thread is going to be so mad when we get to episode 10 and not only is Marco not dead, but he's still increasing in power.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I literally don't remember the way books 5 and 6 link together, do we reckon the show is gonna cleanly represent that? Any belief they'll rush out the Marco plot to tie off Laconia in s6?

(I've still not got started book 8 so I still don't know where it's going lmao)

The Ty and That Guy aftershow with Daniel AND Ty saying they'd decided on the final part of the final book by book 2 is completely fascinating to me though. Makes me feel positive, but oh my god the potential disappointment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I literally don't remember the way books 5 and 6 link together, do we reckon the show is gonna cleanly represent that? Any belief they'll rush out the Marco plot to tie off Laconia in s6?

Book 5 and 6 are just one long story basically, from the beginning to the end of the Free Navy. 6 ends with the formation of the Transport Union and peace in the Sol system. Laconia doesn't show up until 7.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Book 5 is the crew split up during the attack and making their way back together while everyone figures out what the gently caress happens and what they can do about it.

Book 6 is both the military and economic war between the inners and the belt, and the growing realization that Marco has royally hosed humanity as a whole, culminating with the Roci et al retaking Medina and the ring station with all its rail guns.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I think the show is gonna push Drummer into betraying the Free Navy earlier than in the books; Roci and Drummer's fleet are going to both respond to Naomi's signal and Drummer gonna pick Naomi and Holden and execute their "guest".

The season ending with Medina joining the Free Navy / Duarte's Escape (if they're even moving forward with that plot, anyways) makes the most sense... not 100% sure how they're gonna get Amos back to the Roci in time, though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grand Fromage posted:

Also the other thread is going to be so mad when we get to episode 10 and not only is Marco not dead, but he's still increasing in power.

Yeah it's delicious and I cannot wait

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Infidelicious posted:

I think the show is gonna push Drummer into betraying the Free Navy earlier than in the books; Roci and Drummer's fleet are going to both respond to Naomi's signal and Drummer gonna pick Naomi and Holden and execute their "guest".

The season ending with Medina joining the Free Navy / Duarte's Escape (if they're even moving forward with that plot, anyways) makes the most sense... not 100% sure how they're gonna get Amos back to the Roci in time, though.

Isn't the end of Book 5 everyone meeting back up on Luna, including Holden's parents and Avasarala putting Erich in charge of the black market? Would make a good ending point, cut to a news broadcast of Marco taking Medina, followed by brief scene(a) from Medina and-or the Barkeith of the rogue martians transiting the Laconia gate.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Amos ends up not linking up with the rest of the crew until the season 6 premiere

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I didn't realize the Roci went all the way back to Luna, I thought everyone met at Tycho... (Only read 6-8) that's a long trip to the Ring to retake Medina, lol.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Depending on where everything else is in relation to the Ring, it could be on the way. But in the books, the Roci and Razorback are taking Fred and Nate to Luna for a conference with Avasarala, so they both have reasons to head there.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Depending on where everything else is in relation to the Ring, it could be on the way. But in the books, the Roci and Razorback are taking Fred and Nate to Luna for a conference with Avasarala, so they both have reasons to head there.

Yeah, since Fred is dead... and the Martian government isn't part of the Razorback story...

IDK how they're going to pull off a meet up as it's kind of a stretch to Luna for seemingly no reason; I guess UN would want to debrief Naomi as she's been on Marco's ship and she knows him better than anyone?

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 21, 2021

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

All I gotta say is that I loved the water drinking scene followed by Drummers later screaming about Naomi. I felt both of those. Very well done.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Infidelicious posted:

Yeah, since Fred is dead... and the Martian government isn't part of the Razorback story...

IDK how they're going to pull off a meet up as it's kind of a stretch to Luna for seemingly no reason; I guess UN would want to debrief Naomi as she's been on Marco's ship and she knows him better than anyone?

Also, maybe Naomi's real hosed up by the time they get her off the ship and they take her there for medical care? It seems to be in better condition than anywhere else we see.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think Luna made sense because the entire UN fleet was pulled back to Earth to defend it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

pik_d posted:

Yeah it's delicious and I cannot wait

"I don't see how this ends other than Filip killing Marco"
:allears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

drewhead posted:

"this" being this season, not this arc, is another good part of that prediction

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

VagueRant posted:

Book 6 is an epilogue to Book 5 that goes on for about 400 pages too long

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
gonna laugh so hard if they end the last season of the expanse with "phew, luckily the ring ate marco's fleet!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Horizon Burning posted:

gonna laugh so hard if they end the last season of the expanse with "phew, luckily the ring ate marco's fleet!"

marco died on his way back to his home planet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the Martian battleship at the ring is going to turn out to be Duarte's ship, maybe?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Horizon Burning posted:

*Amos, Peaches, and Prax sit around a campfire roasting marshmellows to Journey's Don't Stop Believin'*

Amos: *looks directly into camera* " guess the real expanse was the space between friends..."

*cut to black*

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really hope that season 6 still includes the subplot where Prax saves the human race

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

drewhead posted:

Yeah, that dude is way off and in for disappointment.

I'm not sure what the payoff is going to be though, since there's no martian PM subplot.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think the Martian battleship at the ring is going to turn out to be Duarte's ship, maybe?

Yeah they keep making a point of talking about/showing on a background computer display the 3 BB's at the Ring, the Martian one is probably Duarte's and when it's time to make a break for it it's gonna suddenly turn its guns on the 2 UN BB's or whatever and give us the actual villain reveal instead of the fakeout war college lecturer.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

Have they even mentioned ships disappearing as they go through the gate? I’m almost wondering if maybe they’ve got something else up their sleeve for the series finale.

I say that because by now the audience should be aware that the ring eats ships. Its a real problem by this point in the books, people are looking into it, and no one understands it. If they wait too long to bring it up in the show it’s going to feel shoehorned in.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I would guess that at some point in the finale of this season we see the ship with Lt. Babbage go dutchman.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm not sure that's going to happen and the reason I'm not sure it's going to happen is because I don't see how you can do the thing where people see something coming at them in the spaces between molecules.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I'm not sure that's going to happen and the reason I'm not sure it's going to happen is because I don't see how you can do the thing where people see something coming at them in the spaces between molecules.

The same way they already did it with Elvi in season four, I assume.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That reminds me, I never understood the “the horny doctor” stuff until after Season 4 reading all the books. Now I giggle every time it comes up.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Sammus posted:

Have they even mentioned ships disappearing as they go through the gate? I’m almost wondering if maybe they’ve got something else up their sleeve for the series finale.

I say that because by now the audience should be aware that the ring eats ships. Its a real problem by this point in the books, people are looking into it, and no one understands it. If they wait too long to bring it up in the show it’s going to feel shoehorned in.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah they keep making a point of talking about/showing on a background computer display the 3 BB's at the Ring, the Martian one is probably Duarte's and when it's time to make a break for it it's gonna suddenly turn its guns on the 2 UN BB's or whatever and give us the actual villain reveal instead of the fakeout war college lecturer.

sauveterre is the dude on the barkeith who gets eaten in the novels, but the barkeith is also a donnager-class and not a supply ship. i feel reasonably certain that the big ending scene will be the barkeith getting eaten, along with babbage. my guess at this point is that marco's guys fired the stolen protomolecule towards the ring, where it will be collected by the martian battleship, and make a run through the gate. the barkeith will attempt to follow and will not come out the other side. it will also not surprise me if babbage is the new duarte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Horizon Burning posted:

sauveterre is the dude on the barkeith who gets eaten in the novels, but the barkeith is also a donnager-class and not a supply ship. i feel reasonably certain that the big ending scene will be the barkeith getting eaten, along with babbage. my guess at this point is that marco's guys fired the stolen protomolecule towards the ring, where it will be collected by the martian battleship, and make a run through the gate. the barkeith will attempt to follow and will not come out the other side. it will also not surprise me if babbage is the new duarte.

Would be tremendously earned, Lara Jean Chorostecki is great