Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've gone as deep as I think I can go cleaning the PS3 (unseated the power supply), but it's not enough. I'm not sure if it's YLOD because I actually can't find a clear demonstration.

This look like it?

https://i.imgur.com/8GsE9tX.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

I've gone as deep as I think I can go cleaning the PS3 (unseated the power supply), but it's not enough. I'm not sure if it's YLOD because I actually can't find a clear demonstration.

This look like it?

https://i.imgur.com/8GsE9tX.mp4

welp, considering you just cleaned it out and it's still happening then that's def thermal paste issue overheating the cpu gpu. here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCsWU0dWag

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
All the YLOD I've seen are very clearly yellow/amber for about that length of time; now you got me doubting me.

If there's nothing in there, though, then you're onto the hardware fault end of things and it's crashing when something's not reporting back a-ok during boot. That's what a YLOD is, for the record.

Can you even safe mode it?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Do the thermal paste first of course. I'm rootin' for you.

also thanks BP since I'm going entirely off memory between hitting mens three

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Casnorf posted:

All the YLOD I've seen are very clearly yellow/amber for about that length of time; now you got me doubting me.

If there's nothing in there, though, then you're onto the hardware fault end of things and it's crashing when something's not reporting back a-ok during boot. That's what a YLOD is, for the record.

Never occurred to me to try. I'll check in a sec.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

His console is not YLOD, the blinking red light is overheating thermal paste fault. YLOD is more specifically heat busting something unfixable or critical on the board. The console can prolly be fixed with some effort.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

His console is not YLOD, the blinking red light is overheating thermal paste fault. YLOD is more specifically heat busting something unfixable or critical on the board. The console can prolly be fixed with some effort.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. This old man rambles when thinking out loud. Rinkles had mentioned not being comfortable doing the thermal paste but it really is the next step.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The console can prolly be fixed with some effort.

Hmm, that might be a tall order for me.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Rinkles posted:

If you're near Baltimore I can take a look. Always happy to keep us nerds in gameses.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I did my own some years back, it took a few basic tools, a heat gun, some thermal paste, and a few hours. Having said that, replacing it with a slim would be easier. I did that eventually, too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Casnorf posted:

If you're near Baltimore I can take a look. Always happy to keep us nerds in gameses.

Very nice of you to offer, but no I'm not too close.

And it seems I cannot go into safe mode.

Gonna shelve it for now, maybe I'll eventually work up the courage to do the scarier surgery.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I did my own some years back, it took a few basic tools, a heat gun, some thermal paste, and a few hours. Having said that, replacing it with a slim would be easier. I did that eventually, too.

don't know that i have another use for a heat gun

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Gonna shelve it for now, maybe I'll eventually work up the courage to do the scarier surgery.

Keep in mind, it can't really get any less functional than it is now, for your purposes. When you feel up to it, that is.

One of my coworkers when I was an auto tech taught me the most valuable lesson: I was having trouble taking the steering wheel off my old car so I could get to the ignition switch. He watched me struggle with it for a bit, and I asked for a hand. He sits in the driver's seat, looks thoughtful for a moment, then grabs the wheel and yanks it off in one quick motion. I'm aghast; twenty minutes of trying and he does it a second! I'm like, how did you do that? And he says, "You just have to not care if you break it."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That was actually kinda fun. I'm way less afraid to open it back up than my laptop after I did a drive swap.

Plus I learned that the PS3 face plate is actually partially transparent.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Are you getting a PS5? It's free with PS5 and you can decide if you want Iceborne later if you like the game. Iceborne cannot be unlocked until after just about everything in the base game has been done, it's heavily gated in terms of both stats and skills. That said, it is fuckin rad DLC. I'd advise you to maybe organize with a few friends who've never played MH before and go into MHW together, playing regularly and helping each other in hunts (this will cut down on hunt times and help you more easily deal with situations where you need to hunt a mon multiple times for the requisite parts.) If you can't do that right now then I'd wait on MHW. The experience is a social one.
Or conversely get it whichever way and then hit up goons in this or the MH thread to help you. I'm certainly no expert but I still frequently go answer low rank SOS's because I remember getting stuck on some rear end in a top hat monster and having veritable gods come in and smash the thing without breaking a sweat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, the SOS flare is always there, and there will always be kanji-names to help you, but it also really helped me to have friends to talk about how bespoke systems work, where to find things in menus, what is a 'session'?, etc when I was starting out. So whether you do it with goons or irl friends I recommend not playing the game without some kind of friendly online interaction.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Are you getting a PS5? It's free with PS5 and you can decide if you want Iceborne later if you like the game. Iceborne cannot be unlocked until after just about everything in the base game has been done, it's heavily gated in terms of both stats and skills. That said, it is fuckin rad DLC. I'd advise you to maybe organize with a few friends who've never played MH before and go into MHW together, playing regularly and helping each other in hunts (this will cut down on hunt times and help you more easily deal with situations where you need to hunt a mon multiple times for the requisite parts.) If you can't do that right now then I'd wait on MHW. The experience is a social one.

What do you mean by free on PS5? Is the base game included on the "game pass" thing that gives you a bunch of PS4 games if you have PS+ on PS5?

And I won't be able to get a PS5 until late 2021 (and by late I mean at least black friday or Christmas).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

[wear its head as a hat]

I don't know when you play and I even tooken up all that valuababble s-s-d space to play it with ya i think it is me who am the dingus

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

What do you mean by free on PS5? Is the base game included on the "game pass" thing that gives you a bunch of PS4 games if you have PS+ on PS5?

And I won't be able to get a PS5 until late 2021 (and by late I mean at least black friday or Christmas).

Well, it's part of the PS+ collection if you can get your hands on a PS5 sometime, or yeah, just buy it whenever because it's super cheap. If you want to buy the whole thing on disc plus Iceborne look for the master edition.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

I don't know when you play and I even tooken up all that valuababble s-s-d space to play it with ya i think it is me who am the dingus

Oh yeah, where you at timezone-wise? Also, where are you at in the game?... is probably the more important question

Sorry! I make friends slow and am bad at it! Like, imhotep and I were going to play monhun years ago and I've never even heard his voice still :lmao:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Cyberpunk I think I have exhausted all main and side story quests (not gigs) and am about to do Nocturne.

Is that the endgame? How much time should I budget for that if I want to see things through? Are there any major things with story that I might have missed?

I have done everything with Panam, River, Judy, Kerry, and Johnny afaik

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of the endings take between 2-3 hours from Nocturne imo. Maybe longer for the best one (you’ll know which that is based on the available choices I hope!!!)

It’s worth waiting a week or two in the menu just in case you get any calls or anything else pops up

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just watched the trailer for GreedFall, and, uh, what the hell is it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Arist posted:

13 Sentinels is good, friend

Could I get a brief sales pitch on this game? It seems really popular and I initially confused it with something else so I'm eager to learn what people dig about it. Watched an Easy Allies review and it seems a lot like Evangelion which I enjoy greatly, but aside from the stunning art and seeing the adventure/battle gameplay it seems like they didn't want to share too much about the game aside from stating that the story is good and letting the artwork speak for itself in the video. Is it one of those games where it's best to go in blind? If so, would you say a fan of Evangelion has a high chance of enjoying it or are the similarities just surface-level?

I think these are the same developers who did some really nice-looking PS2/PS3 games as well, I forget their name now but I think the last was a D&D-style scrolling beat 'em up with RPG mechanics? I think some people complained about the hyper-sexualized art at the time (which was fair criticism imo) but I think it got a PS4 port and I've been kinda tempted to pick that up as well, I'm just not sure if the RPG mechanics will ruin it or not (looking to avoid if it's really grind-y).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Could I get a brief sales pitch on this game? It seems really popular and I initially confused it with something else so I'm eager to learn what people dig about it. Watched an Easy Allies review and it seems a lot like Evangelion which I enjoy greatly, but aside from the stunning art and seeing the adventure/battle gameplay it seems like they didn't want to share too much about the game aside from stating that the story is good and letting the artwork speak for itself in the video. Is it one of those games where it's best to go in blind? If so, would you say a fan of Evangelion has a high chance of enjoying it or are the similarities just surface-level?

I think these are the same developers who did some really nice-looking PS2/PS3 games as well, I forget their name now but I think the last was a D&D-style scrolling beat 'em up with RPG mechanics? I think some people complained about the hyper-sexualized art at the time (which was fair criticism imo) but I think it got a PS4 port and I've been kinda tempted to pick that up as well, I'm just not sure if the RPG mechanics will ruin it or not (looking to avoid if it's really grind-y).

13 sentinels is almost totally unique - it's an RTS smashed together with a fully-animated visual novel (so none of the awkward cludgy narration you get in most v-novel writing) whose plot is a massive pastiche of nearly every giant robot story and sci-fi twist out there

there's not much to say beyond that, because there's so few points of comparison for what it's trying to do

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's Vanillaware's amazing animation, music and heart but with most of their most ridiculous and objectionable stuff (giant deformed boob people etc) mostly shaved off. It's by far my favorite of their games and, along with Yakuza 7, and Sakuna, one of the only games moving enough to made me forget the hell world of 2020.

edit: and like others have said, the crazy mystery story it has just won't quit surprising you from the first second to the last.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 21, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the comments, anything to forget the hell world of 2021 will be good :haw:

Final question is being quite a story-heavy game it seems, how well does it lend to breaks from playing and shorter play sessions? Is it something you need to set aside 2-3 hours for at a time or can you just play an hour here or there and not be confused or compelled to play longer because something's taking a long time?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the comments, anything to forget the hell world of 2021 will be good :haw:

Final question is being quite a story-heavy game it seems, how well does it lend to breaks from playing and shorter play sessions? Is it something you need to set aside 2-3 hours for at a time or can you just play an hour here or there and not be confused or compelled to play longer because something's taking a long time?
It's divided into chunks for each character that are maybe 15 minutes long each (unless you get lost in the adventure game part and can't figure out where to go next, which is rare). Finishing a chunk from one character unlocks another chunk in another, and so on. Battles are also about that long.

It's extremely well made for short play sessions...not that I did that very often, because I was enthralled and played it until late at night and woke up and went right back to it sometimes.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 21, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's Vanillaware's amazing animation, music and heart but with most of their most ridiculous and objectionable stuff (giant deformed boob people etc) mostly shaved off. It's by far my favorite of their games and, along with Yakuza 7, and Sakuna, one of the only games moving enough to made me forget the hell world of 2020.

edit: and like others have said, the crazy mystery story it has just won't quit surprising you from the first second to the last.

It's interesting you say that Sanders, since I'm in the opposite boat. The art style of spooky (distant looking etc) lolita schoolkids isn't for me, just not fully comfortable. You mention "giant boobs" as a bad thing, seem harmless to me! And googling it, this game doesn't seem to have any "deformed" shocking attributes. Anyway, everybody says millenials only care about the booty. So, from all sorts of angles, it is just antiquated and some kind of misunderstanding to criticize big bobs in art. In my opinion.

Anyhoo, art sure is a wild thing. Just trying to, in a lighthearted way, point out that we're both uncomfortable with styles in that game, just the opposite ones. Just to clarify the bit I don't find comfortable, I'm not saying anybody is a degenerate for digging the game or it's art, I know I'm in a glass house here.

Speaking of liking an anime. I say, we all must continue watching every great anime. How about Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta. Watching every great anime from the 70s to present. At least, that's my mission. (I know this was presumptuous of me. Anime gets me pumped. )

Also, Blue Oyster Cult has been around for 50 years. Let's take a moment to appreciate them. Also, just because, let's appreciate the game Ripper with Christopher Walken. Which BOC was featured in.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Inspector Hound posted:

I just watched the trailer for GreedFall, and, uh, what the hell is it
A Bioware-like (mostly in the good way) RPG. You have companions, you can gently caress 'em, you can stab, shoot, and magic people. It's not a great game by any stretch, but it's decent and will help scratch that more traditional RPG itch if you don't mind a bit of eurojank.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lol crashed in the final(?) mission and when I loaded back in the vehicle I was supposed to get into spawned upside down embedded in geometry. Had to punch it up for a minute then this happened

https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1352156865644294144?s=19

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Heavy Metal posted:

It's interesting you say that Sanders, since I'm in the opposite boat. The art style of spooky (distant looking etc) lolita schoolkids isn't for me, just not fully comfortable. You mention "giant boobs" as a bad thing, seem harmless to me! And googling it, this game doesn't seem to have any "deformed" shocking attributes.

This is clearly a reference to Dragon's Crown, a game that was thoroughly mocked for its ridiculous female characters who were misshapen and wildly overexaggerated, admittedly all the art in that game was kinda like that to some degree. I didn't know the developer but took a big guess that this was what Sanders was referring to and turned out to be right. Besides that question, what the hell is that post?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheDarkFlame posted:

This is clearly a reference to Dragon's Crown
Christ, the art in that game. It would count as disturbing and deformed even if it wasn't T&A on the level of a silver age comic book superheroine.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dragon's Crown is a cool game. I like it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have just caught up from 900 unread posts! Goodness.

OK I am qualified to ask people to simmer down and most of the time I do not have to. This is very much a chill thread and certain things make us discuss heatedly, but never malicious and viciously like I have seen elsewhere. Just remember attacking a console or game is not an attack on you as a person. This is one of the strongest things to remember about talking about games here.

I love all kinds of games. Each of you loves all kinds of games. If we agree we can talk about what we love as a group. If we can disagree we can also talk about what we dislike and why as a group. I know Games has a rep of hating everything (which I do not think is true and certainly not like the old days where everyone was miserable) but I think we are good at being critical if needs be without being mean to each other and I especially do not think we should do that here.

Also

Bloodborne on PS1 looks hilarious and fun and I would play it.
I would not want a Bloodborne 2 though. I am fine with it being self contained.

Also the mario 2 being a dream is told to you straight up in the instruction manual where it says Mario has to go to the world of 'Subcon' to stop Wart so that their dreams are no longer plagued. (I am a mario 2 fanatic! :D)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol crashed in the final(?) mission and when I loaded back in the vehicle I was supposed to get into spawned upside down embedded in geometry. Had to punch it up for a minute then this happened

https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1352156865644294144?s=19

Ahahahahaha

Just cyberpunk things :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So I guess 2077 is going for 50% off at some retailers now?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Oh yeah, where you at timezone-wise? Also, where are you at in the game?... is probably the more important question

Sorry! I make friends slow and am bad at it! Like, imhotep and I were going to play monhun years ago and I've never even heard his voice still :lmao:

I started playing again! I blame all the good single player games that came out last year, I didn’t touch MHW since I beat it really, but I just installed it cause I saw that you were playing it. Also now that I’ve beaten the game and I own Iceborne, I assume that we can basically play together regardless of rank, yeah?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I guess 2077 is going for 50% off at some retailers now?

Whoa it really is a Ubisoft game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got Jedi Fallen Order on sale

It’s a pretty good Dark Souls Lite experience, but now the difficulty suddenly ramped up and I’m stuck on the fight with Trilla in her fortress. I’ve fought and lost against her more times than Lady Maria in Bloodborne. Anyone got any tips?