Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I recruited Sylvain over to the Eagles early on and got him killed at the battle of Gareg Mach so I've kind of forgotten about him and probably didn't develop him.

Hubert is tsundere dracula who can only show affection through death threats. Also I like how after the predicted Empire conquest of the entire continent a new cloak and dagger conflict will begin which will be his time to really shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I really like Ferdinand - Sylvain - Lorenz because they're more or less the same archetype (womanizing pompous nobleman - though I guess in Ferdinand's case it's more muted) but executed in completely different ways.

Ferdinand is straight up a prince charming, but sometimes gets on people's nerves because he relishes the role he has as a nobleman. all in all he feels a bit more down to earth and comfortable in his role as a nobleman and what that entails, barring his weird rivalry with Edelgard.
Sylvain hates the position he's in but is willing to abuse it for his own womanizing benefits, and he harbors some level of resentment for women because they're perpetuating the position he's in, a lot of them also for their own benefit.
Lorenz does not necessarily seem to enjoy his role as a nobleman, but he's dutiful and conscientious. He understand you need to dance the dance, even if you don't feel like it, and go through the correct aristocratic motions to keep the world from falling apart, and this gets on people's nerves and his great flaw is not willing to see/not being able to see that maybe the rest of the world is unwilling to play by the traditional rules any more.

Incidentally I do think this makes Lorenz, regardless of whether his conviction that one must perform their duty even if they do not like it is actually correct, one of the most selfless characters in the game. He's a pompous rear end but he's not really enjoying a lot of the duties that come with the territory of noble birth. He just does them because he believes it is morally right to dance to the tune of tradition, regardless of one's feelings about it.

If Lorenz had been born with some more social intelligence and/or gotten rid of that yee-yee rear end haircut, the rest of the cast would probably treat him closer to how they treat Ferdinand or Sylvain because he wouldn't shock people with the whole "yes but you see, nobles must perform a thorough due diligence of their potential wives and marry within their own class" shtick.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Lorenz's final support with Hilda is great, because Hilda essentually turns to the camera and wonders why he is dragging his feet on actually proposing, since they are a good match for political reasons and she actually likes who he has become.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the main thing about Sylvain is that he feels like he can't trust anybody.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a huge shame Edelgard and Sylvain can't support.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Sylvain, Ingrid, and Mercedes, like Lysithea, should be considered honorary Black Eagles.

Felix should come along too since he's the only guy smart enough to realize what a scam the kingdom's culture of chivalry is.

Ashe goes without saying.

And of course, it wouldn't be fair to recruit Mercedes without recruiting Annette too.

What I'm saying is the only proper way to play Crimson Flower is to leave Dimitri and Dedue totally alone at Tailtean Plains.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Sylvain, Ingrid, and Mercedes, like Lysithea, should be considered honorary Black Eagles.

Felix should come along too since he's the only guy smart enough to realize what a scam the kingdom's culture of chivalry is.

Ashe goes without saying.

And of course, it wouldn't be fair to recruit Mercedes without recruiting Annette too.

What I'm saying is the only proper way to play Crimson Flower is to leave Dimitri and Dedue totally alone at Tailtean Plains.

:hmmyes:

Also make sure you go up the right side of the Siege of Dierdru, racing in time in order to save Hilda before she kills herself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Contrariwise, for anyone who hasn't played Azure Moon before, I strongly recommend picking up Marianne, Caspar, Bernie, and Catherine. They all get a lot of supports with the Lions crew and unique dialogue in part two.

Catherine gets to dig into her backstory with Ashe and Dimitri, and her family connections crop up in part two.

Marianne is the only student from another house who can marry Dimitri, and she even dresses to match the Lions' color scheme in part two.

Caspar and Bernie support with a lot of the Lions cast, and Caspar especially has a fair bit of unique dialogue in part two talking about Dimitri's character arc and how he initially joined the Lions in large part because Dimitri seemed like the strongest, toughest, most confident and put-together person at the academy.

Also almost every happy ending for Felix (exceptions: Bernie and Annette) needs to be Azure Moon.

Plus, unlike the Black Eagles, you keep the always great Flayn and Seteth. Seteth even gets an A+ support with Ingrid and ending with her exclusive to Azure Moon.

Other poaches are season to taste. Annette and Mercedes aren't great as offensive mages, so picking up Dorothea or Lysithea is a good call. Everyone can slot pretty easily into the Blue Lions meat grinder machine.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2021

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
^^^^^^ This is also true. Marianne's supports with Dimitri are really sweet, as are Sylvain's with Bernadetta.

Eimi posted:

Also make sure you go up the right side of the Siege of Dierdru, racing in time in order to save Hilda before she kills herself.

Apparently if you defeat Dedue before he turns himself into a demonic beast he shows up in the cutscene at the end to mourn Dimitri's death, so I think it might be feasible, though probably very difficult, to avoid killing any of the former students besides Dimitri in CF if you've recruited every recruitable character.

Also, what's the source of your avatar? It's adorable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd say recruiting Caspar is also nice in AM for Mercedes' paralogue. It's kind of bizarre how him and Ferdinand can't even access their paralogues in Crimson Flower.

Flayn's a forced recruit either way but I think she's right at home most in Verdant Wind. She has a lot of fun supports with Ignatz/Raphael/Claude. Shamir also probably fits nicely in VW, she's got some decent stuff with Claude and Leonie.

Cyril fits best with AM, same with Catherine. Alois... honestly he's pretty removed from most of it so it's hard to say. Probably VW just for the Leonie collection or SS because why not but he probably goes anywhere really.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

^^^^^^ This is also true. Marianne's supports with Dimitri are really sweet, as are Sylvain's with Bernadetta.

Apparently if you defeat Dedue before he turns himself into a demonic beast he shows up in the cutscene at the end to mourn Dimitri's death, so I think it might be feasible, though probably very difficult, to avoid killing any of the former students besides Dimitri in CF if you've recruited every recruitable character.

It’s actually a very sweet scene imo but I’m someone who likes Dedue and Dimitri. It’s not quite to mourn Dimitri’s death, they just talk together before they die.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I could be wrong, but when I saw it I got more of a "we're dying together" vibe from Dedue out of it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Felix is like really, really sad on crimson flower and it most definitely isn't good for him (as a person, makes for great story though definitely)

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I was going to compare Edelgard to Skeletor because they're both surrounded by bumbling fools but the comparison doesn't really work at all. Also Edelgard's plots tend to have a much higher success rate.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Felix is never happy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

Felix is like really, really sad on crimson flower and it most definitely isn't good for him (as a person, makes for great story though definitely)

The fight between Felix and Rodrigue at the Arianrhod siege is a kick in the balls since you can tell Rodrigue completely gave up on him in the intervening years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

Felix is never happy.

He gets better in Azure Moon, and in all his Azure Moon endings goes on to inherit his dukedom and become Dimitri's trusted right hand (and strongly implied lover, if you get their ending).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

McTimmy posted:

Felix is never happy.

His only good ending is when he gets to become a clown with leonie.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

He gets better in Azure Moon, and in all his Azure Moon endings goes on to inherit his dukedom and become Dimitri's trusted right hand (and strongly implied lover, if you get their ending).

Becoming everything he despised about Faerghus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

Making Faerghus into something he likes.

Just about every Azure Moon paired ending talking about how things are in Faerghus goes 'the times are a-changing.' Sylvain breaks the back of the crest system in Faerghus and is succeeded by a child without a crest in I think all of his Azure Moon endings, for example.

One of the biggest reasons people in the Blue Lions support Dimitri so much is because he's so determined to change and reform things.

In Azure Moon, he does just that once you help him manage his PTSD.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Felix x Lysithea is a bitter sweet melancholy sort've happy ending, its really good even it doesn't fit people's expectations that a good ending is 'perfect'

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Felix x Lysithea is a bitter sweet melancholy sort've happy ending, its really good even it doesn't fit people's expectations that a good ending is 'perfect'

Yeah, Felix/Dorothea is another melancholy ending I really like.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Eimi posted:

On one playthrough, I put in a lot of effort doing this, and then when I went to soften up Claude with Bernadetta, she got a crit. I was going to save him by finishing him with Byleth!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Fire Emblem tries to have it all. It's a gamplay-driven, character-driven, story-driven game that avoids the usual trade-offs.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

McTimmy posted:

As opposed to CF, where he becomes everything he hates about Dimitri?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Melomane Mallet posted:

As opposed to CF, where he becomes everything he hates about Dimitri?

CF Felix is nothing like Dimitri.

VW/SS? Sure. But not CF.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

McTimmy posted:

CF Felix is nothing like Dimitri.

VW/SS? Sure. But not CF.

His first explore dialoge on CF:

For five years, I've fought for the Empire. I've cut down hordes of enemies.
Now I have the same look in my eyes that the boar used to have in his.
The look of a savage beast who loves nothing but destruction and violence.

And you get support points for agreeing with him that it's true.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Melomane Mallet posted:

His first explore dialoge on CF:

For five years, I've fought for the Empire. I've cut down hordes of enemies.
Now I have the same look in my eyes that the boar used to have in his.
The look of a savage beast who loves nothing but destruction and violence.

And you get support points for agreeing with him that it's true.

Treehouse since it should be "Maybe."

But even ignoring Treehouse... it's just flat-out not true what Felix says about himself. In CF he's fighting for a future of a better world or even cutting his own path for his ideals. He's nothing like Dimitri who's ruthlessly cutting down enemies in the name of revenge. Even when Felix is fighting for revenge in SS/VW he's still not a mindless beast pointing the blame at the wrong party like Dimitri does.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh do we just say "treehouse" now like it's supposed to indicate to all the world that you meant "there's a slight translation error here"

E: also that doesn't even sound like a mistake, maybe can mean literally the same thing as yes depending on the context

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 21, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Felix is concerned that he wound up emulating the toxic behaviors he used to see in Dimitri, and appreciates you encouraging him to be vigilant, while being offended if you ask him to write it off. You know, the thing everybody else has been doing to Dimitri in White Winds, to Felix’ explicit chagrin.

“Felix has turned into Dimitri” is not the take away from this scene.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd say recruiting Caspar is also nice in AM for Mercedes' paralogue. It's kind of bizarre how him and Ferdinand can't even access their paralogues in Crimson Flower.
Caspar/Mercedes makes sense because you recruit Jeritza on CF and thus take away any real reason to fight him like on the other routes.

I do agree that Ferdinand/Lysithea not being on CF is a little weird. If I had to guess as to why it doesn't happen, either the riots in the Hyrm territory get brought under control due to the Empire not being stretched thin like in other routes. Or, with Ferdinand on her side from the get-go, either Edelgard (or Duke Aegir) reveal the truth about Hyrm to Ferdinand and he embarks on a mission to improve conditions in the region, thus winning over the populace.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Caspar/Mercedes makes sense because you recruit Jeritza on CF and thus take away any real reason to fight him like on the other routes.

I do agree that Ferdinand/Lysithea not being on CF is a little weird. If I had to guess as to why it doesn't happen, either the riots in the Hyrm territory get brought under control due to the Empire not being stretched thin like in other routes. Or, with Ferdinand on her side from the get-go, either Edelgard (or Duke Aegir) reveal the truth about Hyrm to Ferdinand and he embarks on a mission to improve conditions in the region, thus winning over the populace.

There are remnants of code for a CF Ferdinand/Lysithea paralogue -- talking about how this would be kept secret from Edelgard -- but it didn't make it in.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Edelgard may be madder than a barrel of monkeys but I'd follow her into the depths of hell.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

McTimmy posted:

There are remnants of code for a CF Ferdinand/Lysithea paralogue -- talking about how this would be kept secret from Edelgard -- but it didn't make it in.

Of note:
CF: Edelgard tells you the crest experiments were b/c of Duke Aegir looking to make a more powerful emperor.

Other routes: But the Ferdie/Lys paralogue ends with her saying that everything happening in Hrym and Ordelia was because Arundel was running things (likely including crest experiments, considering he's also Thales) and blaming Duke Aegir.

So...The possibilities are : Eddie is ignorant of the fact that Arundel and Thales are the same person (hugely unlikely give she interacts with both in White Clouds/and the post Arianrhod CF scene ) or.... she is lying to you about it and the discarded CF code means you're not supposed to let on you know she's lying to you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/adrestiandove/status/1158911802920407041

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Of note:
CF: Edelgard tells you the crest experiments were b/c of Duke Aegir looking to make a more powerful emperor.

Other routes: But the Ferdie/Lys paralogue ends with her saying that everything happening in Hrym and Ordelia was because Arundel was running things (likely including crest experiments, considering he's also Thales) and blaming Duke Aegir.

So...The possibilities are : Eddie is ignorant of the fact that Arundel and Thales are the same person (hugely unlikely give she interacts with both in White Clouds/and the post Arianrhod CF scene ) or.... she is lying to you about it and the discarded CF code means you're not supposed to let on you know she's lying to you.

What? The crest experiments on Edelgard's family were ordered by Aegir and the Insurrectionists, and carried out by Thales and the Slytherins (and Edel+Hubert definitely know about Arundel and Thales, see their various CF dialogue, the AM reaction to Arundel's death being met with "huzzah!" and the whole "call my Uncle" *Thales appears* thing in the non-CF pre-timeskip cutscene). We don't know exactly who ordered or what prompted Lysithea's earlier experiments, but it seems likely it was the Slytherins getting a proof of concept ready to show the Insurrectionists that this is something the Slytherins could do.

The "blaming Aegir" is about, years later, Aegir's territory failing while ArundelThales is in control, and ArundelThales using Aegir as a scapegoat for why things are now failing. ArundelThales only gets control over Aegir's land just before the timeskip (as that's when Aegir gets house-arrested and removed from power). The whole "Aegir was innocent of this, this was Arundel(Thales)" is talking specifically about the post-war overtaxing, not "Aegir was innocent of everything including leading the Insurrection (and ordering the torture of Edelgard, not that either Ferdi or Lysith would know that), it was all Arundel's fault"

They are two distinct incidents, so what on earth implies that Edelgard is lying? I can't see how "ArundelThales mismanages the territory he got from Aegir's fall (just pre-timeskip) while blaming Aegir" and "Aegir ordered the experimentation on Edelgard, which Thales carried out (waaaaaay before timeskip)" implies anything of the sort.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 22, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Shinji117 posted:

What? The crest experiments on Edelgard's family were ordered by Aegir and the Insurrectionists, and carried out by Thales and the Slytherins. We don't know exactly who ordered or what prompted Lysithea's earlier experiments, but it seems likely it was the Slytherins getting a proof of concept ready to show the Insurrectionists that this is something the Slytherins could do.

The "blaming Aegir" is about, years later, Aegir's territory falling after Aegir got house-arrested (ie just before the timeskip, years after what happened to Lysithea) while ArundelThales is control (non-CF Edelgard can't disregard ArundelThales as easily as CF Edelgard), and ArundelThales using Aegir as a scapegoat for why things are now failing. ArundelThales only gets control over Aegir's land (lie, what is being talked about by Lysithea after the chapter) just before the timeskip, and only on non-CF Ferdi-recruited routes (meaning that, if Ferdi stays with Edelgard, the whole thing doesn't happen because he gets the land after his father's imprisonment instead of it going to ArundelThales).

They are two distinct incidents, so what on earth implies that Edelgard is lying about Aegir and the Insurrectionists ordering what happened to her?

Well, why the hell else would this paralogue be blocked CF or, if it wasn't blocked, the Leonie/Linhardt route of "don't tell her about it"? What else makes sense?

Duke Aegir went against Eddie's father because Ionius wanted to have more power than his minsters to stop him; why would Aegir then want a future emperor with super powerful dual crests? Who could, you know, stand against him?

Lysithea was a proof of concept; this we can agree on.

So after a large amount of time thinking about all of everything: this is where things break down in this argument. As far as I can see, everything prior to the holy tomb (backstory included) plays out more or less the same way, regardless of route. You disagree. And honestly, I think that's why these arguments exist: there is no 100% canon answer to somethings, it's all somewhat subjective pertaining to the information you get on the route you're on.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The reason why everything was going to poo poo in Aegir's territory was that once he was stripped of his power and with no Ferdinand to rule it, the land ended up going to Arundel who either did not give a gently caress or promptly ran it into the ground. So when you side with Edelgard none of that happens because the moment the Prime Minister is stripped of his power Ferdinand takes his place at least when it comes to running his old territories.

Regarding the super power emperor thing, the idea was that she would just be another puppet that had been broken enough that she would do what she was told.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Well, why the hell else would this paralogue be blocked CF or, if it wasn't blocked, the Leonie/Linhardt route of "don't tell her about it"? What else makes sense?

Duke Aegir went against Eddie's father because Ionius wanted to have more power than his minsters to stop him; why would Aegir then want a future emperor with super powerful dual crests? Who could, you know, stand against him?

Lysithea was a proof of concept; this we can agree on.

So after a large amount of time thinking about all of everything: this is where things break down in this argument. As far as I can see, everything prior to the holy tomb (backstory included) plays out more or less the same way, regardless of route. You disagree. And honestly, I think that's why these arguments exist: there is no 100% canon answer to somethings, it's all somewhat subjective pertaining to the information you get on the route you're on.

It's blocked off because
Without Ferdi rebelling against Edelgard (a requirement to get the paralogue), he gets the Aegir land so Thales is never given a position to gently caress with it, so no Paralogue (which is entirely about Thales loving with once-Aegir land). It isn't a complicated explanation.

The nobles wanted a double-crested Emperor to be the perfectly crested puppet figurehead, she was never meant to get any actual political power (see Aegir's shock at her coronation). As for insurance against acting against them, that seems to have been what the Slytherins were supposed to be for, but she made herself more valuable to them than the Insurrectionists were so when she got crowned the Slytherins let it happen, which (combined with her directly getting specifically Lin's and Caspar's dads onside and Hubert offing his own dad) left the other insurrectionists in the lurch. They just got outmaneuvered and judo-thrown by Edelgard.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Mainly so that I can see the banter she'd exchange with satan.