Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Water + agitation causes the suds. If you can rinse it without really scrubbing that will help.

Alternatively use a defoamer. Commercial formulations will be with the carpet cleaning stuff at your local Home Depot or equivalent but white vinegar diluted 1:10 works pretty well as a substitute. If your bathroom smelling like a pickle jar for a few days is a deal breaker sprinkling salt over things instead of using vinegar will help as well, although it isn't nearly as effective.

Salt. Still had to use a mop and rinse/wring out a few times. The towels I used to soak up the bulk of it have been through three rinse cycles in the washer and are still sudsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My son is 27 months and hates telling us he went poop. We’re nowhere close to potty training him but we’d at least like him to tel us when he poops-this would be especially useful for when we put him down for a nap and he just flails around in bed because he pooped himself and can’t get comfortable.

He doesn’t seem to mind a dirty diaper and seems perfectly content to wallow in his own filth. He usually poops 1-3 times a day and whenever we know he went, we ask him and he immediately says no. I dunno if he associates him pooping with him getting changed...which he DOES hate. He is not a fan of getting wiped down or laying on the changing table.

Any recommendations?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter does the same thing. I have a pretty sensitive nose and can smell her when she's in the other room. She just laughs and runs away from us. We hope to start potty training soon so similar recommendations would be great.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We're in the process of potty training now after just turning 3 and honestly it's gone relatively smoothly other than his apparent inability to push down his pants properly by himself. There's been very few accidents outside the first day or so and even then, for poop only. We did the pantless method after skimming the 'Oh Crap' book.

I bring it up only because my son was similar in that he wouldn't tell us when he had gone. If we specifically asked, it was usually a quick no. We would spot check him every hour or so. He just really didn't like the process of changing diapers and while we wanted to train him earlier, we held off thinking that he couldn't recognize the sensations yet and he wasn't ready. We were wrong. Just try it if you have the time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of pants, why is it impossible to find non-leggings/jeggings for girls. It's getting difficult putting pants on our daughter because 1) she's in the 99th percentile and 2) she's loves to wriggle. They are also difficult for her to pull up over her diaper because they are so tight. She's been in 3T since around her second birthday.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was just reading Don't Eat Me, Chupacabra to my son and realized that as much as I've seemingly kept it together being a good parent despite a lifetime of half-assing things, where my effort finally gives out is the ability to muster more than two voices while reading stories. Narration is fine. Books with two characters I can do a low and high. Beyond that, gently caress it. Chupacabra is high. Goat, grandma, Mr. Bat, Mr. Cat, Mrs. Lizard. gently caress you, all the same voice.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

My son is 27 months and hates telling us he went poop. We’re nowhere close to potty training him but we’d at least like him to tel us when he poops-this would be especially useful for when we put him down for a nap and he just flails around in bed because he pooped himself and can’t get comfortable.

He doesn’t seem to mind a dirty diaper and seems perfectly content to wallow in his own filth. He usually poops 1-3 times a day and whenever we know he went, we ask him and he immediately says no. I dunno if he associates him pooping with him getting changed...which he DOES hate. He is not a fan of getting wiped down or laying on the changing table.

Any recommendations?

Start potty training, honestly. You stand a good chance of having a really hard time with it after a certain age when he starts to realize he’s his own separate person and asserting his own will.

Diapers are nice and cozy for him, he doesn’t know anything else so it’s no surprise he doesn’t mind wallowing in his own filth because he’s never done anything but that his entire life. He also probably doesn’t know that you and Mom don’t wallow in your own filth

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

calandryll posted:

Speaking of pants, why is it impossible to find non-leggings/jeggings for girls. It's getting difficult putting pants on our daughter because 1) she's in the 99th percentile and 2) she's loves to wriggle. They are also difficult for her to pull up over her diaper because they are so tight. She's been in 3T since around her second birthday.

Agreed. I’ve had a bit of luck with some Baby Gap, Hanna, and Primary stuff for our similarly sized kid, but it mostly comes down to ‘buy boy pants’ which ticks me off.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

BadSamaritan posted:

Agreed. I’ve had a bit of luck with some Baby Gap, Hanna, and Primary stuff for our similarly sized kid, but it mostly comes down to ‘buy boy pants’ which ticks me off.

My wife mentioned one of her co-workers did that, we both agreed how much BS that answer is. We meant to look last time we were out and about.

Fishbulbz
Aug 24, 2004

What are the civilian applications?

BadSamaritan posted:

Ah ha ha. I have the opposite problem and have started buying jeggings in the girl section. The bullshit-no-pockets on women's pants starts early, but they're cheaper than the boys equivalent.
:shrug:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

For potty training, we eased our son into it when he was 2 by making him sit on the potty first thing in the morning, after nap time, and before going to bed. It was more of a request at first, no forcing, but he quickly got used to the routine. Once he started regularly going in the potty at those times (he knew the purpose because he'd seen us and his big sister on the potty before), we switched him to "no diaper, no pants, no underwear" with regular prompts on the potty until he was prompting himself. And then on to "pants, no underwear" and then "pants and underwear."

He's 2.8 now and is fully potty trained. This approach was much less stressful for us compared to our daughter. We tried to strictly follow "Oh Crap" with her, and it ended up being a lot of battles and accidents.

Don't get me wrong, my son has had plenty of accidents and went through streaks of regression, but it was overall a much less stressful potty-training experience for us with the easing into it.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 20, 2021

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

remigious posted:

I have been either successfully or attempting to nurse my newborn so often I wonder what is even the point of wearing a shirt anymore?

I wore the loosest, most giant tank tops that barely counted as covering my tits around the house. If I did wear Human Clothes™, I wore a nursing tank underneath. I found it was easier to work the nursing tank + pull up a normal shirt combo than try to guide a tit through the slit of nursing shirts.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

life is killing me posted:

Start potty training, honestly. You stand a good chance of having a really hard time with it after a certain age when he starts to realize he’s his own separate person and asserting his own will.

Diapers are nice and cozy for him, he doesn’t know anything else so it’s no surprise he doesn’t mind wallowing in his own filth because he’s never done anything but that his entire life. He also probably doesn’t know that you and Mom don’t wallow in your own filth

Ordinarily would agree with this but I know he has another one on the way. We started potty training at 22 months with the Oh crap book in January last year and had great success.

As soon as the newborn arrived, she regressed hard, and although she got back on track for wee on the potty after a couple of months, it has literally taken until the last week for her to do the poo in the potty thing again.

In our case, she verbalized that she likes to poo in her nappy, she doesn’t want to go in the potty. I started giving her stickers for every poo that went in the right place and all of a sudden she’s keen as mustard.

I trained when I did because the woman who wrote the Oh Crap book said it’s best to do it before the arrival of a new baby, even with the inevitable regression that may happen. Nope. Don’t agree. Very stressful 7 months.

That being said, every kid is different.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

femcastra posted:

Ordinarily would agree with this but I know he has another one on the way. We started potty training at 22 months with the Oh crap book in January last year and had great success.

As soon as the newborn arrived, she regressed hard, and although she got back on track for wee on the potty after a couple of months, it has literally taken until the last week for her to do the poo in the potty thing again.

In our case, she verbalized that she likes to poo in her nappy, she doesn’t want to go in the potty. I started giving her stickers for every poo that went in the right place and all of a sudden she’s keen as mustard.

I trained when I did because the woman who wrote the Oh Crap book said it’s best to do it before the arrival of a new baby, even with the inevitable regression that may happen. Nope. Don’t agree. Very stressful 7 months.

That being said, every kid is different.

Yeah you both make good points. My wife and I talked and we are scared shitless of letting him run around naked while we chase him for a few days. I work from home and she’s pregnant, so I dunno if we have the energy for that.

Definitely worried about regression since the new one will be here in...poo poo...4 months.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Yeah you both make good points. My wife and I talked and we are scared shitless of letting him run around naked while we chase him for a few days. I work from home and she’s pregnant, so I dunno if we have the energy for that.

Definitely worried about regression since the new one will be here in...poo poo...4 months.

If you do start, best to do it when you have a long weekend or one of you is free consistently for a few days in a row. The other thing that made it hard starting out was that I wanted a big stiff drink at the end of the first day, but I was pregnant so I couldn’t.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

femcastra posted:

If you do start, best to do it when you have a long weekend or one of you is free consistently for a few days in a row. The other thing that made it hard starting out was that I wanted a big stiff drink at the end of the first day, but I was pregnant so I couldn’t.

Hmmm...that’s already how I feel most days.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t drink much now even when the kids are in bed because you never know when there will be some night time thing and dealing with it when a little buzzed is horrible and I never want to do that again. A beer or two at most!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

priznat posted:

I don’t drink much now even when the kids are in bed because you never know when there will be some night time thing and dealing with it when a little buzzed is horrible and I never want to do that again. A beer or two at most!

Yes. Agreed.

Had our first date night since the seven month old was born just after Christmas. MIL put toddler to bed, I put baby to bed. Had a roaring time, split a bottle of wine, 3 course meal. We are in Australia, I feel I have to have the caveat there, social distancing masks and occasional lockdowns have kept us pretty safe.

Get home and ask MIL how the toddler went with the bedtime routine. ‘good, took her a while, I thought she had done a poo, but couldn’t see anything in her nappy’. Uhhhh

Went in, the whole room stunk of poo poo, so I got to gently strip her from the waist down, wipe her and get a new nappy while trying not to wake her. 5 mins later the baby woke for a feed.

All of this was made much worse because of the wine.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

1up posted:

I wore the loosest, most giant tank tops that barely counted as covering my tits around the house. If I did wear Human Clothes™, I wore a nursing tank underneath. I found it was easier to work the nursing tank + pull up a normal shirt combo than try to guide a tit through the slit of nursing shirts.

Yeah giant tank tops seem to be the way to go! Holy cow, I had no idea how challenging breast feeding was going to be. It is such a natural process I expected it to be easy, but my baby gets mad when the milk is not flowing right away and flails at the boob and bats it away. I’m trying to be more proactive about feeding him so he’s not ravenously hungry when it’s time to eat, but it’s hard.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

For potty training, we eased our son into it when he was 2 by making him sit on the potty first thing in the morning, after nap time, and before going to bed. It was more of a request at first, no forcing, but he quickly got used to the routine. Once he started regularly going in the potty at those times (he knew the purpose because he'd seen us and his big sister on the potty before), we switched him to "no diaper, no pants, no underwear" with regular prompts on the potty until he was prompting himself. And then on to "pants, no underwear" and then "pants and underwear.

We are on that path, I think. We started on the potty very early (around one year I think?), after sleeping and napping and after dinner. Saved us a ton of money in diapers, I'm sure, because she sure pees and poops in there. And it's not just by chance (anymore), she definitely knows what's up. But I have also spent god knows how many hours sitting with her and reading her storybooks, singing songs, etc, on the potty. It's not obvious in hindsight that it was time well spent if we could have gotten by with starting at two. Well, at least I don't hate reading to her, and she seems to have developed a talent for listening to stories...

She has the routine down pat, she even uses the little toilet at daycare after naps, but she will still happily poop her diaper if nobody prompts her after dinner, and pees in it if we're playing outdoors or she's generally busy. The only time she will ask to go potty is when we put her to bed, if her bladder isn't empty already.

I'm glad to hear this "soft" approach worked for you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the same outcome.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 20, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My daughter killed my will so my sons will have to potty train themselves. Good luck kids.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I figure they will sort it out by the time they’re in kindergarten unless they want to be known as the stinky kids :haw:

My 2 year old will just poop wherever with no warning and will fight/flee when we try to clean her up. Gonna be a fun time potty training that one!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I wanted my daughter trained so she could do activities that required it. But my son had a least a year before he can leave the house safely so just do whatever man, I don't care.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
We had a few false starts with potty training where it looked like it was going to work well, and then after a day she would completely refuse to sit on the toilet and would literally jump up to then pee on the floor or cry for a diaper to poop in. When she finally got potty trained, it was just like a switch was flipped. On a Saturday she was not potty trained and refused to try to use the toilet, and then on Sunday she was almost completely potty trained. It took longer than a weekend to get to that point, but ultimately it was up to her wanting to do it. Also although guides say not to bribe, our kid is extremely corrupt and the second we switched from following guides to just bribery we got immediate and long lasting results. Potty training, staying in bed at night, pretty much anything.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Pain of Mind posted:

We had a few false starts with potty training where it looked like it was going to work well, and then after a day she would completely refuse to sit on the toilet and would literally jump up to then pee on the floor or cry for a diaper to poop in. When she finally got potty trained, it was just like a switch was flipped. On a Saturday she was not potty trained and refused to try to use the toilet, and then on Sunday she was almost completely potty trained. It took longer than a weekend to get to that point, but ultimately it was up to her wanting to do it. Also although guides say not to bribe, our kid is extremely corrupt and the second we switched from following guides to just bribery we got immediate and long lasting results. Potty training, staying in bed at night, pretty much anything.

drat right. I teach 13 and 14 year olds and the thing about behaviour modification is that if the kid doesn’t have the emotional intelligence or intrinsic motivation to avoid being an absolute arsehole, it’s better to introduce extrinsic motivation with the end goal of withdrawing it.

Likewise, if the child needs encouragement to use their arsehole differently, there’s nothing wrong with extrinsic rewards in moderation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We decided to rent a hospital pump since our insurance provided one has gotten increasingly finicky about working correctly and we've been having issues with clogged ducts.

Whoa, Nellie what a difference. Only have gone up to about 60% suction and drat I'm scared to think what 100% would do.

And in a pinch I can use it for weight training.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Shifty Pony posted:

We decided to rent a hospital pump since our insurance provided one has gotten increasingly finicky about working correctly and we've been having issues with clogged ducts.

Whoa, Nellie what a difference. Only have gone up to about 60% suction and drat I'm scared to think what 100% would do.

My employer had hospital grade pumps available for use in the mothers’ rooms and the one I had at home paled in comparison to those things. But yeah, they are aggressive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We rented one of the hospital grade pumps after getting discharged and my wife says it wasn’t even worth buying one of the lesser ones. It was insanely cheap to rent given how much they cost to buy too.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shifty Pony posted:

My wife swears by the Willow pumps. Mobile, battery powered, and reasonably good. It's no hospital pump, but she isn't chained to a wall socket either.

They're about 350 tho. Not cheap, add another 50 if you want to have reusable containers, rather then their (IMO crappy) proprietary bag setup.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
According to my email statements the pump we rented from the hospital was a "Medela Symphony Double Electric Hospital Grade Breast Pump E0604" and it was fantastic, as far as I can tell. It was strong, my wife was able to set it up wherever she wanted, and it was not difficult to clean.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Joey Steel posted:

My wife swears by the Willow pumps. Mobile, battery powered, and reasonably good. It's no hospital pump, but she isn't chained to a wall socket either.

They're about 350 tho. Not cheap, add another 50 if you want to have reusable containers, rather then their (IMO crappy) proprietary bag setup.

My wife tried to use the Evie wireless pump and is returning it.

Issues:
1. Says it can be used with the microwave disinfect bags, it can not. Parts warped. To their credit they shipped us replacement parts.
2. A button stopped working. They shipped us a replacement part and asked us to disassemble and re-assemble it.
3. Due to the warpage in problem 1 it leaked a lot.
4. Not as powerful as wired pumps obviously.
5. Expensive, like the Willow above.

But having your hands freed up and being able to walk around is a game changer. If you produce a lot of milk and need to get stuff done then it's a good buy. If you're struggling with production then stick with the wired unit or maybe get a Hospital grade one. I wish we had looked into the hospital rental stuff more.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

According to my email statements the pump we rented from the hospital was a "Medela Symphony Double Electric Hospital Grade Breast Pump E0604" and it was fantastic, as far as I can tell. It was strong, my wife was able to set it up wherever she wanted, and it was not difficult to clean.

We rented some hospital-grade Medela pump as well, maybe the same one, for the previous kid. I think it cost $1-2 per day to rent, but it definitely worked much better. My wife had to cart it around in a borrowed mail cart when she went to the nursing room at work, but of course that wouldn't be a problem this year due to the plague.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joey Steel posted:

One of the people in our (virtual) parent's group had the exact same complaints about the bags being crappy and it not being cool that they charge for reusable containers. She managed to get the company to send her the containers for free but I think that was mostly because she was an OB and was able to credibly drop "how am I supposed to recommend this to my patients?"

The rental we have is an Ameda Platinum. It is nice that we can reuse all of the spare valves, flanges, and diaphragms that we had gotten for our insurance provided pump.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Baby looks like she is ready to transition to 1 nap and I’m devastated. How the gently caress are we going to get anything done now?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nachos posted:

Baby looks like she is ready to transition to 1 nap and I’m devastated. How the gently caress are we going to get anything done now?

You don't.

Congratulations you've just leveled up your parenthood.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

nachos posted:

its the woooooooorst. We hung onto the morning nap until after 2 but i about wanted to cry when she finally gave it up.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

nachos posted:

Wake up at 4:30 in the morning. :cool:

:smith:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How do you all deal with blood being drawn? My kids have taken my unfortunate trait of having slow blood so it’s so difficult, especially when the medical professionals can’t find a good vein immediately.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

nachos posted:

I lucked out and now my son takes one long nap instead of two super short ones.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nachos posted:

Yep ours transitioned to one nap right at 1.25yo and he’s been dwindling as far as time asleep during that one nap. We are lucky now, at 2.5, to get an hour.