Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

gotta differentiate... are we taking about "The Economy" of meaningless gambling, or are we talking the kind of economy where stuff physically exists and production happens and people either eat or die? Especially that last bit.

We can have stockwankers chanting "DOW 4E+80!!" and it won't mean much to the starving masses in detention camps.

the physical good market is a part of it

as long as people can use credit, the goods will be there. using credit is basically just using "someone else's" money, typically financial institutions'. we swish the financial services money around for them and pay them (interest) for the privilege.

if the people ever can't pay back the money the federal government will just take it from people who do pay taxes or print it and pay the financial institutions anyway, allowing them to go back to issuing credit

being an unreliable borrower doesn't cut off your access to credit, you just have to pay more and more for it.

unless there are literally zero value producing jobs then there will always be service and support industries to benefit the money makers and that's where the lower classes will exist, buried under credit

until people start literally starving to death en masse or there is a homeless crisis that pushes into double digit percentages, then the system will chug along

yikes, a poor quality snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

skooma512 posted:

Die pedocoins! I want a video card!
Don't worry, there will be another bullshit reason they stay expensive.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

drat

at least in canada you have to deliberately do a fraud to get away with poo poo

That's just how commercial mortgages work now, I don't see why it wouldn't work for individual ones

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Us dollar may dip below 90 today or tomorrow.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fame Douglas posted:

Bitcorn and ~*~The Market~*~ haven't really correlated in the past, can't imagine it being a harbinger of anything but Cryptocurrency being extra stupid and speculative.

Now hang on a moment. Back in February / March, I seriously debated dumping some money into Bitcoin (despite laughing at it for years) in the belief that it would function as a hedge against the stock market. Instead, I stayed back, because it tracked too closely with the dumping of the equity markets - and if I had bought in, I'd be out a ton of money.

And then, the money printer went brrrr ... and asset inflation became the new norm with us. Crypto got popular in the later part of 2020, probably because it was the "next thing" that you could "get in early" on.

Here's an article that also explores whether Bitcoin has any predictive ability or not: https://ideas.repec.org/p/cui/wpaper/0054.html

And finally, for the gooniest answer, this particular line from The Long Dark keeps sticking with me:

quote:

In the mid-20XX, the ongoing global economic crisis, fueled by continued political instability in the US and Europe, contributing to increasing volatility in the financial markets, led to the sudden catastrophic collapse of the Canadian, and in general, the North American banking system. This immediately rendered Canadian currency worthless, triggered super-inflation of the US dollar, and all trade and economic activity promptly shifted to the Chinese Yuan or crypto-currencies (a la Bitcoin). Crippled economically, Canada was bought under the financial oversight of the North American Economic Zone, which positioned Canada as a kind of protectorate of a larger US-based economic bloc. From this point onward, the majority of economic activity became centralized on Canada's already densely urbanized population, with smaller rural and remote communities being essentially cut off. Without a local economic lifeline many of these communities had become dependent on for their continued existence, most rural or remote communities became hollowed out, as people fled to urban areas in search of greater economic stability.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Jan 21, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Rutibex posted:

just buy a $500 rifle and live in the woods. "owning" land means that your allowed to call people to shoot at trespassers, just cut out the middle man

You'd think that, but they get you on the bullets! Oldest trick in the book.

Better stick to a hockey mask and an inexpensive machete or axe that you don't have to feed money

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

just buy a $500 rifle and live in the woods. "owning" land means that your allowed to call people to shoot at trespassers, just cut out the middle man

$500 may get you a ratty .22 these days. Not sure how intimidating you're going to be with that, but at least the ammo will be cheaper. Hope you don't live in bear country, though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr Hootington posted:

90 what?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1352301008794300419

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cents

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
why doesn't biden simply mint $2,000 coins for every single person

where's my loving coin

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hubbert posted:

Back in February / March, I seriously debated dumping some money into Bitcoin (despite laughing at it for years) in the belief that it would function as a hedge against the stock market. Instead, I stayed back, because it tracked too closely with the dumping of the equity markets - and if I had bought in, I'd be out a ton of money.

cool journal entry

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Centrist Committee posted:

cool journal entry

thanks i'll keep my sincere posts to myself

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rutibex posted:

stealing guns when you don't already have a gun sounds dangerous

yup. your credit score is one of cops that lives inside your brain and beats you up whenever you think about doing something the oligarchy dislikes.

it’s also a risk assessment tool for banks to decide who gets to receive loans and who gets to receive loans with exorbitant interest rates

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Greg12 posted:

why doesn't biden simply mint $2,000 coins for every single person

where's my loving coin

he could save on metal by decreeing that one of the coins already in your pocket is imbued with $2000 units of magic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s also a risk assessment tool for banks to decide who gets to receive loans and who gets to receive loans with exorbitant interest rates

banks don't give a fig leaf if you pay them or not. they get bailed out; their money is guaranteed.

the banks care about people doing the proper money rituals, so that their position in society's grand delusion is never questioned

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Moral Hazard must be defended at all costs.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hubbert posted:

if it’s about how you have money to speculate on the stock market and cryptocurrencies then yeah that would be cool. there are a ton of forums outside of cspam for the kind of thing.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

Mr Hootington posted:

against what?

PawParole has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jan 21, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

PawParole posted:

against what?

Canadian, I think the post that OP is referencing said somewhere.
Oh.

Tubgoat has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 21, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the exchange rate of US dollars to US cents has fallen to 1:90

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
usd has been like 1.20 to 1.30 cad for awhile so that can't be right

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

wrap it up, dooms-dailures. your prophet likes profit.

https://twitter.com/northmantrader/status/1352330282687467521?s=21

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hubbert posted:

gently caress that, :justpost:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hubbert posted:

What did you expect admitting to thinking about buying bitcoin?

Anyway still post. Who cares

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

gently caress that, :justpost:

:yeah:

tho if you're post about how you have the spare dollars to speculate be prepared for someone without those means to deservedly poo poo on you for it

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I've been thinking about the "correct" way to introduce newly printed money to the economy, and honestly I think what is happening now is close to the ideal. The ideal case is everyone gets money so their net worth increases by the same percentage, that way their relative purchasing power stays the same. This is kind of what happens now where the rich are given loans to buy investment assets, while the poor are given checks. It would be interesting to see how the net worth distribution is being affected by the money printing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DOW SOARS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

human garbage bag posted:

I've been thinking about the "correct" way to introduce newly printed money to the economy, and honestly I think what is happening now is close to the ideal. The ideal case is everyone gets money so their net worth increases by the same percentage, that way their relative purchasing power stays the same. This is kind of what happens now where the rich are given loans to buy investment assets, while the poor are given checks. It would be interesting to see how the net worth distribution is being affected by the money printing.

I dont know what you are trying to do here

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

so a few plutocrats get a quadrillion dollars, millions of wage workers go bankrupt. great plan.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Mr Hootington posted:

I dont know what you are trying to do here

hes saying we need to give more money to rich people to be fair lol

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

quantitatively ease all over my face daddy

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

hes saying we need to give more money to rich people to be fair lol

Sure, but it doesn't matter because the relative purchasing power will stay the same between the rich and poor.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

:yeah:

tho if you're post about how you have the spare dollars to speculate be prepared for someone without those means to deservedly poo poo on you for it

yeah if you want people to care about your investment journal bfc is probably better

but people will still post their investments itt because this board is full of larpers

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

:sickos:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

We've typically seen bitcoin go up when things seem more unstable. It going down makes sense re: a return to "normalcy".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1352366644811751432

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Sure, but it doesn't matter because the relative purchasing power will stay the same between the rich and poor.

lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if we want to make sure purchasing power stays the same, why arent the bottom 10% who have negative net worth, paying up then????

gimme my $2000, you homeless assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Cold on a Cob posted:

drat

at least in canada you have to deliberately do a fraud to get away with poo poo:

quote:

Technically committed fraud on mortgage application - how will this impact me on renewal?
I closed on a house earlier this month. Got a 5 year fixed rate so term will be up in 2025.

I am worried now as for the mortgage my lender gave me, I do not pass the stress test for that amount. When they asked for my pay stubs, previous T4's to verify my income, I edited the documents in Adobe Reader (stupid in hindsight I know). I did not get any questions about them and I guess the lender took them at face value.

I needed to do this as there was no other way that I would be able to get a mortgage and the offer I put on the house did not have a financing condition.

What will happen when my mortgage term is done and I need to renew? Will they need to verify my income again? If they find out I was lying when I got the mortgage what will happen? Is there a penalty I will have to pay?

There's a Canadian mortgage broker on twitter (Ron Butler) who has said on a number of occasions that the "fraud portfolio" (identified/measured how?) actually performs better than the legitimate loans do, overall, and that absolutely nobody wants to talk or think too hard about that. I imagine it's that extra little bit of "we've got to find a way to pay so they don't find out" but who knows.