Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I saw one of the Mission Impossible movies just so I could see the Dark Knight Rises trailer before it. The Mission Impossible movie was infinitely better. I also went and got a sandwich after seeing The Dark Knight rises and that was also much better.

Edit: poo poo snipe. Enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtqy9_NbYg

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this; I've not seen this clip since it first aired and it's just as good as I remember. Love how pleased Pete looks with himself when his jacket gets namechecked!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Dark Knight rises is dog poo poo. How do all the villains have crazy different accents despite coming from the same middle eastern village. How does Bruce Wayne lose all his money because someone stole a laptop. Why does the power company turn his power off the same day. Why didn't Batman try punching Bane's weak spot i.e. his face the first time. Don't answer because gently caress you

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm gonna answer: Christopher Nolan has gone full fart-sniffing

Venture related: I'm supposed to get the art book delivered tomorrow and holy poo poo am I excited.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've never been able to figure out the thought process of people who cast Tom Hardy in things

We have the perfect actor. OK now let's have him put on 300 pounds of muscle and mask his face with a machine and have him do a clown Sean Connery impression

I know he looks and sounds nothing like Patrick Stewart but if you shave his head,

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alan_Shore posted:

The Dark Knight rises is dog poo poo. How do all the villains have crazy different accents despite coming from the same middle eastern village. How does Bruce Wayne lose all his money because someone stole a laptop. Why does the power company turn his power off the same day. Why didn't Batman try punching Bane's weak spot i.e. his face the first time. Don't answer because gently caress you

All of his bitcoins were on that laptop.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I've never been able to figure out the thought process of people who cast Tom Hardy in things

We have the perfect actor. OK now let's have him put on 300 pounds of muscle and mask his face with a machine and have him do a clown Sean Connery impression

I know he looks and sounds nothing like Patrick Stewart but if you shave his head,

I love Tom Hardy in anything, but, yeah the dark night rises was, ehhhhhhh

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A Polygon article I read made a very convincing argument the film was actually kitchy as gently caress disguised straight and serious and it really does make sense to me at least.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I have an electric grandpa bed that talks to me while I sleep.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Have you seen that movie where he's in a car the whole time*? It's pretty loving good. I realize that description is not good, but trust me on this.

*Not Mad Max. There's another movie where he's literally in a car the whole time. Edit note: It's called Locke

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m not in any way disputing he’s a good actor, I just find it hilarious that people always seem to cast him and then like ship-of-Theseus him into something completely different

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I’m not in any way disputing he’s a good actor, I just find it hilarious that people always seem to cast him and then like ship-of-Theseus him into something completely different

I think he just has fun physically wrecking himself for different roles. See Bronson for instance.

Also I'll go down contending Bane was mostly right in Dark Knight Rises about the city being tainted by a corrupt ruling class and it was mostly Talia's solution "let's just torch the whole thing" that stopped him from being a revolutionary hero

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The People’s Villain

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also tangentially related I do like how the Harley Quinn cartoon version of Bane is a mix of the comic one but inexplicably has the movie voice and some sort of crippling personality disorder

That's a good show.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I just watched Pomp & Circuitry and this episode packs an incredible amount of stuff into it. It sets up a lot of the New York stuff, brings back Professor Impossible and Phantom Limb (I know he did the Revenge Society thing earlier, but this [I just got interrupted by an earthquake] episode really brings him back.

And Hank trying to get into Sphinx is hilarious because he aces everything they throw at him and culminates in this line:

Hank: I feel like that Jewish guy who lost all his power when they cut off his hair!

Brock: Uhh... Samson?

Hank: Lenny Kravitz!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fartington Butts posted:

I just watched Pomp & Circuitry and this episode packs an incredible amount of stuff into it. It sets up a lot of the New York stuff, brings back Professor Impossible and Phantom Limb (I know he did the Revenge Society thing earlier, but this [I just got interrupted by an earthquake] episode really brings him back.

And Hank trying to get into Sphinx is hilarious because he aces everything they throw at him and culminates in this line:

Hank: I feel like that Jewish guy who lost all his power when they cut off his hair!

Brock: Uhh... Samson?

Hank: Lenny Kravitz!

I have this gif handy from the crotch-abuse supercut video
https://i.imgur.com/rJQU4u3.mp4

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The blood coming out of his mouth is a nice touch

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that the recoil was jackhammering his 'nads. I thought the stress of handling the automatic weapon and barely controlling it made him have a weird vomit-stigmata combination.

Time to dig out that season, I guess.

And I really like this episode. I love how they're constantly surprised that he manages to pass every single ridiculous thing they put him through. When he passes the first one, the looks on Hunter's and Shore's faces are priceless.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The episode after it is the one with the mournful tits.

Edit: And holy poo poo there's a character named Storm Front.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 17, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I heard junk stocks are illegal now

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

tarlibone posted:

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that the recoil was jackhammering his 'nads. I thought the stress of handling the automatic weapon and barely controlling it made him have a weird vomit-stigmata combination.

Time to dig out that season, I guess.

And I really like this episode. I love how they're constantly surprised that he manages to pass every single ridiculous thing they put him through. When he passes the first one, the looks on Hunter's and Shore's faces are priceless.

Hank rightly pointed out that his upbringing was insane and left him overqualified for the OSI. With basically the same upbringing but not being raised by Rusty (the second worst father in the series) Hank would have ended up a shonen protagonist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SeanBeansShako posted:

A Polygon article I read made a very convincing argument the film was actually kitchy as gently caress disguised straight and serious and it really does make sense to me at least.

The greatest trick Nolan ever pulled was convincing the world that his movies were serious.

8one6 posted:

Hank rightly pointed out that his upbringing was insane and left him overqualified for the OSI. With basically the same upbringing but not being raised by Rusty (the second worst father in the series) Hank would have ended up a shonen protagonist.

Or in a slightly different genre, Hank certainly already has the personality. Honestly, OSI is probably one of the few things he is qualified for, makes it a little funny that it's Dermott who ended up joining up, but as I've said, that boy was born to be a shithead private. One can only imagine Dermott ending up like Usopp where he finds himself living out all his ridiculous lies.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

What is a shonen protagonist? Is that about Goku being a lovely dad?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fartington Butts posted:

What is a shonen protagonist? Is that about Goku being a lovely dad?

Supremely overqualified teenage martial artist/action hero protagonist of most action anime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be a bit more specific, your average shonen hero does tend to be ridiculously good at some particularly bombastic and spectacular form of combat (or at least one the merchandise revolves around), dumb as a brick at almost everything else and often particularly socially inept, though manages to attract a large and diverse array of dedicated friends and allies despite that. The specifics vary a bit, depending on the tone and themes of the show, and obviously has some pretty close relationships to the loudmouthed brats that tend to be the heroes of western action cartoons, though the anime ones tend to actually get to win fights on their own merits.

Goku's a funny example given while he's basically the main prototype for the role that everyone else rips off/modifies, he actually stands out in some of those traits not going unexamined as usual; while remaining pure of heart and having fairly subtle character development, he's not the greatest father or husband, and rather selfish and single-minded in that combat is really the only thing that particularly interests him. He'd almost be a Venture Bros take on shonen if he hadn't come first.

ed: Should note that the English dubs took obvious liberties to give him heroic speeches and otherwise make him seem more like Superman, which kinda just had the effect of throwing his terrible parenting moments into sharper relief.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 17, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Slightly late to DKR chat, but my favourite part was how The Dark Knight very clearly ends with Batman taking on the role of a vigilante being actively hunted by the police like in various iterations of the comic and cartoons, then the next film opens with "surprise, he immediately gave up and moped around his mansion for several years".

Also how everyone around me said no no, that's definitely what they were setting at the end of Dark Knight. Well it wasn't when I asked you a month before Rises came out you dumb turds, just admit the movie was bad.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Very Batman to give up and sulk for years. It's what he's known for. In fact his catchphrase is "I can't fight them, the grief is still too near"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Goku will spare the villain who tried to destroy the planet. Not because he has any moral qualms about killing but because he hopes they'll get stronger and come back so he can fight them again.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Slightly late to DKR chat, but my favourite part was how The Dark Knight very clearly ends with Batman taking on the role of a vigilante being actively hunted by the police like in various iterations of the comic and cartoons, then the next film opens with "surprise, he immediately gave up and moped around his mansion for several years".

Also how everyone around me said no no, that's definitely what they were setting at the end of Dark Knight. Well it wasn't when I asked you a month before Rises came out you dumb turds, just admit the movie was bad.
Yeah, it was bad. It's a shame, because it could have so easily been good, but the cop worship was awful then, and it's aged like milk :acab:
I know they had plenty of time, but it feels like something Nolan scrambled to put together when he realized he didn't have Heath Ledger's Joker to fall back on. They also made the worst editing decision, by cutting Gordon's trial: a deleted scene makes it clear that this is basically how trials for accused criminals worked under the Dent Act, but we can't even suggest that criminals defendants have rights.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Dr. Z's circle of friends got a little smaller today...

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1350838149367410689?s=19

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

8one6 posted:

I would watch a Hank-centered sequel series where he’s constantly accidentally Brocking it up.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
A great deep cut joke in that ep that I only caught on my most recent rewatch is when Hank is making the case to join SPHINX he claims that he's "been to all seven continents, including Atlantis, Outer Space and Brigadoon!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
God I'm pretty sure that's the first mention of Brigadoon in 50 years. Which is halfway to being ironic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Clearly you have not watched Lexx.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No one really "watched" Lexx.

You experienced Lexx.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That said, the episode "Brigadoom" is definitely one of the highlights of the series.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

https://twitter.com/JaxBladeFitness/status/1352289043191640070

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't that the dude who does anime workouts? I wanna see his 21 to two ton 21 transformation workout.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn if I don't love me the "CHIRP" on the Titmouse logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHmuqSGgpd0

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Fartington Butts posted:

Goddamn if I don't love me the "CHIRP" on the Titmouse logo.

They've done some work for Disney Channel, and it will always disappoint me that neither the shows characters nor someone from the Ventures is saying CHIRP at the end.