Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eejit posted:

Just placed a deposit on a Ripmo AF that should get in around May. Went for the SLX groupset and Fox Float fork and shock upgrades which put it ~300 over the Hightower AL build I was looking at earlier. After talking to my LBS and a few spots in Denver, trying to wait out the Hightower was just too risky so I think this is probably the best overall choice. Probably going to be the best frame and parts I'm going to get in 2021 so I'm pretty thrilled.

That’s a nice ride, also the one I would be buying if I was shopping.

Congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Eejit posted:

Just placed a deposit on a Ripmo AF that should get in around May. Went for the SLX groupset and Fox Float fork and shock upgrades which put it ~300 over the Hightower AL build I was looking at earlier. After talking to my LBS and a few spots in Denver, trying to wait out the Hightower was just too risky so I think this is probably the best overall choice. Probably going to be the best frame and parts I'm going to get in 2021 so I'm pretty thrilled.

:toot:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Recommendations for bike storage solutions (2 bikes?) for an apartment that don’t require screwing shot into walls?

Renting and don’t feel the need to find studs and screw poo poo into the walls.

I’d rather have something I can pop the bikes onto that saves space. Vertical storage a thing?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gamera009 posted:

Recommendations for bike storage solutions (2 bikes?) for an apartment that don’t require screwing shot into walls?

I’d rather have something I can pop the bikes onto that saves space. Vertical storage a thing?

Lots of good “gravity stands” to choose from, but they are more expensive than ones you just screw into the wall.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bidongs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best bike storage I ever found was to scooch my TV up a little from the wall and then I'd pick up my bike and put it behind the TV and that way everyone had to look at it all the time when I wasn't riding it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I think I saw these in the BME Pain Olympics.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know about using a rear child seat with a folding bike like a Tern?

This article confirms it is doable:

https://www.ternbicycles.com/support/kb/1450772306179609/how-fit-yepp-maxi-easyfit-child-seat-tern-cargo-rack

But I worry about how much it affects the handling. I've never ridden a bike with a child strapped to the back. And how easy are they to attach and detach? I'd obviously have to take it off before I can fold the bike for the elevator.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Started riding again after about a year. Are we still doing Bear Pope kits?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, but the store is currently closed and that might not change for a while. Here's the thread.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gamera009 posted:

I bought two of these from MEC:

https://designbydelta.com/collections/bike-racks/products/two-bike-gravity-stand

Would recommend.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
^ I've got one of those, too, and like it pretty well. Only problem I've had is the rubber on one of the hooks splitting, but that could be my fault.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

marshalljim posted:

^ I've got one of those, too, and like it pretty well. Only problem I've had is the rubber on one of the hooks splitting, but that could be my fault.

Same thing happened on mine, it's just prone to drying out and cracking. I removed it when that happened and replaced it by wrapping some old tubing around it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Soma has great prices on Kogu Masamune stands right now.

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/product/44613-kogu-masamune-stand-ibuki-1-3227?category=943

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

drat that is a good deal

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used to have that gravity stand and it never felt safe.

I got this one for my garage now - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5HZ21W/

The bar that attaches to the wall is pretty tight if you use all of the hooks, but luckily the bar is a standard Unistrut/Superstrut that you can get at your local Home Depot or Lowes. It's typically used for scaffolding to support electrical conduit, but has many other uses as well. I had a big piece from another project and used that to give my bikes some more space.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

anyone have this backpack?

https://ilequipment.com/collections/backpacks/products/race-day-bag

looking for something to replace my clapped out deuter race exp that ive had forever. would be using it for day trips with a change of clothes and shoes. any other nice backpacks out there? or maybe ill start looking for frame bag solutions for my road bike.

mystes
May 31, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

looking for something to replace my clapped out deuter race exp that ive had forever. would be using it for day trips with a change of clothes and shoes. any other nice backpacks out there? or maybe ill start looking for frame bag solutions for my road bike.
Deuter makes really good bags, and I don't really understand why the one you've linked costs $240 (it looks really flimsy), so it personally seems weird to me to replace a bag that has lasted a long time for you with this one.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 20, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

I don't have that specific bag, but I've got a rack bag and a phone holster from them that are both really great. I would imagine that bag was equally as great.
(Bud Manstrong also has one of their rack bags)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

i have the radius pack and i really like it

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Goon500 stickers are on the loose and most definitely pooch approved. It was all worth it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
yessss

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Eejit posted:

You can use flats or clipless on an MTB. I use clipless because I like the falls I take when I can't get unclipped, especially while standing. My partner likes flats because of the way the cleats gouge her shins and because she has an easier time losing control of the bike in the air

Not trying to be a dick here but if you're relying on your feet being clipped to the bike to maintain control in the air you're gonna eat poo poo super hard one day. Keeping feet on the pedals with flats and controlling the bike in the air is a fundamental jumping skill and going around it via clipless is gonna trade some smaller bails learning for a big slam down the line.

Same with slipping a foot in the rough, you're gonna be going faster clipped in and the same poor technique will get you bucked into a tree instead of smacking your shin or a low speed crash.

Really not trying to be a dick here but the worst slams I've seen are related to people running clips because they can't keep their feet on flats and it works until it doesn't, and it usually stops working at a way faster speed clipped than on flats and the consequences are much higher due to the speed. The classic bucked on the lip and dead-manning through the air to implosion is a classic crash from not being used to staying with the bike and getting it under you which imo is easiest to build with flats, same with weighting the bike at the right time and heels down through rough parts of the trail.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What is the point you're trying to make? Yes, you can wreck on clipless if you don't know what you're doing. Yes, you can wreck on flats if you don't know what you're doing. Sometimes you're going to eat poo poo no matter what pedal type you're on. Of course, learning the "proper" way to do things will help prevent issues down the road, but you can learn with either pedal type.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I have seen quite a few people use clips as a replacement for learning how to keep their feet on the bike and have it result in bad crashes.

You can learn either way but clips will hide technique problems until you are traveling at a speed where you go from small off to laugh about with friends to pitching into a tree with the bike on top of you and you have to get scraped out of the woods.

Learning to ride with the bike instead of independently is a really important thing and a hard skill and being physically attached makes it way easier to not realize when you are riding and movong independently.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Not trying to be a dick here but if you're relying on your feet being clipped to the bike to maintain control in the air you're gonna eat poo poo super hard one day. Keeping feet on the pedals with flats and controlling the bike in the air is a fundamental jumping skill and going around it via clipless is gonna trade some smaller bails learning for a big slam down the line.

Same with slipping a foot in the rough, you're gonna be going faster clipped in and the same poor technique will get you bucked into a tree instead of smacking your shin or a low speed crash.

Really not trying to be a dick here but the worst slams I've seen are related to people running clips because they can't keep their feet on flats and it works until it doesn't, and it usually stops working at a way faster speed clipped than on flats and the consequences are much higher due to the speed. The classic bucked on the lip and dead-manning through the air to implosion is a classic crash from not being used to staying with the bike and getting it under you which imo is easiest to build with flats, same with weighting the bike at the right time and heels down through rough parts of the trail.

It was jokes

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I got that but also didn't want people to think feet come off bike jumping or in the rough means they need clips, especially because I saw this thinking result in a couple bad crashes last summer with new riders especially ones coming from road. Literally 'I cant keep my feet on the bike with flats so I got clips' and a couple weeks later they had a bad crash after getting bucked in either a rough section or jumping and had to go to the hospital.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Late on this - but did about 30 miles on the new whip last Sunday. Bike feels good, getting the hang of clipless pedals - ate a big rear end shrimp po boy as a reward.

To continue the pedal derail I started - thinking about replacing the SPD-SL pedals with SPD pedals on the new Caledonia. My riding style is basically Saturday rides with friends, lots of stop starts, rides through the city, hanging out in parks at the beginning/middle/end of the ride. I'm thinking SPD style shoes will be better for walking around (particularly post pandemic where I suspect these rides will end at breweries and restaurants more often than not).

Any thoughts from folks on what has worked for you? My only hesitation is I bought shoes and SPD-SL pedals already, and that's an expensive retrofit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SPD is way better for "casual" use than SPD-SL. I switched on one of my bikes and ended up just switching everything.

I rode on SPD-SLs for years and they're great for long road rides, but they aren't better enough than SPDs for me to justify the pain in the butt they are off-bike when so much of my riding is urban. And if dirt/gravel is in the equation that favors SPD even more.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

keep the SPD-SL and shoes in case you get a full time road bike

and SPD means shimano SPD sandal

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I got that but also didn't want people to think feet come off bike jumping or in the rough means they need clips, especially because I saw this thinking result in a couple bad crashes last summer with new riders especially ones coming from road. Literally 'I cant keep my feet on the bike with flats so I got clips' and a couple weeks later they had a bad crash after getting bucked in either a rough section or jumping and had to go to the hospital.

Sir this is the Bicycle thread.
Take your tonedeaf effortposts to the mountain bicycle thread, please.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

numberoneposter posted:

:getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My knees don’t like SPD. Gotta get that zero float road cleat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

numberoneposter posted:

keep the SPD-SL and shoes in case you get a full time road bike

The sandals require immense old man strength to operate:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKU4HxrFFTA/?igshid=pgf5timy30ha

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

I hate myself for spending money and time on anything that’s not an ortlieb rolltop.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have two ortlieb backpacks and I would go with something else. The atrak is nice for airplanes as a duffle that exactly matches the carry on dimensions and is nice for clothing, and a rolltop is perfect for when you're getting soaked, but I can't get past the lack of side pockets. Its really annoying to have nowhere for your phone or water while walking, and if you need to access something frequently you need another bag on the your bike. They are super high quality, but the designers are obsessed with water proofing to the point that they won't allow you to have an optional space that would get wet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Like bicycles, I basically always have my "next backpack/bag" purchase already planned out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Hey it’s the new year, time to do a second run of Trashkits, orders will close out at midnight Z on Feb 5th.

https://forms.gle/3aK1aZoH4CvA9QLu6

It’ll take me a bit to calculate out how much is owed once orders close to send out payment emails, but should get them out by the end of the 6th at the latest.

Then I’ll start taking payments over the following week or so (will be working around my work schedule so it’ll take a little time).

Will place the order on the 15th, unless everyone that orders gets the payments in quickly, then I’ll do it sooner.

The only thing that’s going to be different from the last run is I’m going to put the Palace Trash raccoon on the front instead of just repeating the same raccoon from the back.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 22, 2021

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

e.pilot posted:

Hey it’s the new year, time to do a second run of Trashkits, orders will close out at midnight Z on Feb 5th.

Extremely interested... somehow missed it last time. Can't find the original post about it -- are these race-cut jerseys or a more relaxed fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wonder_Bread posted:

Extremely interested... somehow missed it last time. Can't find the original post about it -- are these race-cut jerseys or a more relaxed fit?

I’d say race cut. I’m a small in regular sizes (Pactimo, Voler, Rapha, etc) and this was probably a half size smaller than those.