Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheese Thief posted:

HHH was singing autographs at an event alongside Goldberggy, and when they encountered each other tha Berg screamed, cussed, and made an rear end of himself while HHH just ignored him. And he did weird immature poo poo like that all the time backstage.

Goldberg sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was this in 2003? Who wouldn't want to scream at HHH?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I think it was in 99/00 during one of Trips early reigns.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg sounds awesome.

Good news! He was, and is

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

oldpainless posted:

He was really good at a sport OP

He also managed to live in Utah and be surrounded by Mormons for like a decade despite being black. It was pretty impressive tbh

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i would have never gotten bored of goldberg squashing everyone and winning all the time. don't overthink it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It's not new news. Here's an ESPN article from 2008.

This is sad, but hey: https://www.deseret.com/2018/12/3/2...day-nov-14-2018

quote:

These days, "The Mailman" is focused on family — mending ties with all his children, being an involved "Paw Paw" to his grandchildren, mixing those close to him with business, chilling at home and pursing his favorite pastime, hunting.

Malone is in touch on a near daily basis with his 37-year old twins, Cheryl and Daryl Ford, plus his son Demetress “Mechie” Bell, 34, especially after the birth of his seven grandchildren.

“I think with my dad, he was more scared of us becoming an actual family because he went through a lot with my older siblings and stuff but in the end, for us, my dad and mom always taught us that family is everything so they wanted us to become closer,” Kadee said. “So, we all really didn’t start getting close until like five years ago but it was all because we were all stubborn. We all literally are my dad’s children. My dad is the most stubborn person, and that’s where we all get it from.”

I didn’t handle it right; I was wrong, but I’m not going to every time I see you try to go back and make up for it because you can’t. – Karl Malone
Malone now admits that he wasn’t initially accepting of his oldest children, especially during his 19-year Hall of Fame career that spanned from 1985-2004. But at this point in his life, he sees things much differently.

“Getting that relationship with them, I was wrong, they wasn’t,” Malone said. “I made a mistake, they’re not a mistake, but being young myself and the responsibilities was overwhelming to me, but you just deal with it.

“I didn’t handle it right; I was wrong, but I’m not going to every time I see you try to go back and make up for it because you can’t,” he continued. “Father Time is the biggest thief that’s out there, and you can’t get that back. And we have a great relationship, but I’m still Dad, Pops, or Paw or whatever they want to call me. My grandkids call me Paw Paw.”

Bell said he's constantly laughing, talking and texting with Malone "everyday about something." His kids identify Malone's home as "The Big House."

So, yeah, Malone was a huge piece of poo poo who got it together, and there is a happy ending. :)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Has Ed Leslie ever talked about what motivated him to get absolutely jacked and change his image for The Disciple character? It's a really amazing difference from The Booty Man to that.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

TheKingslayer posted:

Has Ed Leslie ever talked about what motivated him to get absolutely jacked and change his image for The Disciple character? It's a really amazing difference from The Booty Man to that.

Probably his usual inspirations of Hulk Hogan and cocaine and steroids

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Too bad it was pissed away by having him align with Warrior

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
This thread has inspired me to finish reading the auto-biography he put out. I'll get back to you on any stunning revelations into The Disciple. I stopped reading after the chapters on the parasailing accident, which are pretty well written and genuinely harrowing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1352299846040956931

This all goes shockingly smoothly (and coherently!) until Carson decides to chest-bump Savage and immediately realizes he has made an astoundingly poor decision.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Macho Man's adult beverages could be any number of things.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Cocaine smoothie.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Why is DDP's theme changed on the network? I know it's a Nirvana rip off but I assumed Jimmy Hart was some kind of master of changing a song just enough to be legally distinct

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CptAwesome posted:

Why is DDP's theme changed on the network? I know it's a Nirvana rip off but I assumed Jimmy Hart was some kind of master of changing a song just enough to be legally distinct

They might have to pay Jimmy to use it.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

CptAwesome posted:

Jericho's Evenflow ripoff and Raven's Come As You Are ripoff aren't there, either. It might be a legal gray area that WCW happened to get away with, but WWE doesn't want to take the risk.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Between the weird rights issues, revisionist history, and not wanting to give WWE money ever again, that Network went from a day one purchase to me dropping it a month later and never picking it up again.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Nirvana stole those riffs anyway so it's a little bit ironic don't you think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
BTW I really liked Raven, I dug his shirts. That's where I first learned of Dinosaur Jr, Suicidal Tenancies, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics... all shirts that Raven wore. He wore that Sandman shirt as a tribute to the ECW wrestler so I hear.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kurt was never shy about admitting Nirvana was a cover band for the 8000 bands he liked

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Was that Jimmy Heart doing those guitar solos in Raven's theme? Because that's badass, major respect to Jimmy Heart, god if only his nephew the Shitman Fart was as talented.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

BTW I really liked Raven, I dug his shirts. That's where I first learned of Dinosaur Jr, Suicidal Tenancies, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics... all shirts that Raven wore. He wore that Sandman shirt as a tribute to the ECW wrestler so I hear.

Vinny in the Retro reviews was always pro-Raven against Bryan's anti-Raven because he identified with Raven. Raven's promos spoke to him due to his experiences in school.

Same for me. I love his character.

And his theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_BqmOCXQY

I'm a big RPG nerd and I like to think of a theme for my characters. This song is for my Toreador in VTM.

The TNA version isn't bad, either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yu6-njAQos

The list of mistakes WWF made with the top talent from WCW like Raven or DDP could go on forever but I firmly believe giving them garbage music was mistake #1.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Raven vs Saturn for control of The Flock feud is good poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WWE is really cheap about music and they've had spats with not wanting to pay Jimmy Hart for stuff in the past so it's probably that. I thought they came to an agreement but they might have had another falling out? I think the original network uploads were older versions that had been used on 24/7 so they might have uploaded things with changed music that they didn't have to change anymore.

One thing I really like about AEW is their willingness to spend money on unimportant little details like music or cool cars or weird little celebrity cameos. It's very WCW like, but in a good way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Super Dan posted:

Jericho's Evenflow ripoff and Raven's Come As You Are ripoff aren't there, either. It might be a legal gray area that WCW happened to get away with, but WWE doesn't want to take the risk.

You mean Raven's Killing Jo ah gently caress beaten

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

smikey posted:

Probably his usual inspirations of Hulk Hogan and cocaine and steroids

Especially since Hogan was now Hollywood and needed appropriate hangers-on.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
In Jericho’s first book he mentions hearing his music during basketball highlights either on cnn or nba on tnt.

He later found out his song was called basketball highlights #10 or something. So his music was probably owned by turner and now AT&T I guess.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wonder if aew would have access to a lot of the wcw themes

i was pro raven in high school and still kind of like and appreciate the character

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The American Dream posted:

In Jericho’s first book he mentions hearing his music during basketball highlights either on cnn or nba on tnt.

He later found out his song was called basketball highlights #10 or something. So his music was probably owned by turner and now AT&T I guess.
Basketball Highlights was the song he used before the Even Flow ripoff, which is called "One Crazed Anarchist". Fozzy later recorded a song with that name, but it doesn't have anything with to do with the old theme song because Fozzy sucks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Was that Jimmy Heart doing those guitar solos in Raven's theme? Because that's badass, major respect to Jimmy Heart, god if only his nephew the Shitman Fart was as talented.

Quite possible. Apparently he's a fairly accomplished musician in his own right. He had a pretty big hit as part of The Gentrys.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

That WCW MTV music video thing was so bizarre and made no sense to me as a kid. It was very vague whether people were supposed to be voting for the wrestlers or the music videos. And then it was super rainy and lovely outside anyway so the matches were sloppy.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Wcw should’ve made more music videos with the ddp/flock feud.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Budget Dracula posted:

Wcw should’ve made more music videos with the konnan/disco feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

i wonder if aew would have access to a lot of the wcw themes

i was pro raven in high school and still kind of like and appreciate the character

They can buy the rights to whatever they'd want from that production library assuming the company still exists.

The best MTV/WCW thing was Beach Brawl because Jericho won and Fear Factory was playing the whole time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Quite possible. Apparently he's a fairly accomplished musician in his own right. He had a pretty big hit as part of The Gentrys.

Lest we forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NpeWe5sGk

I remember WCW magazine and television acting like the fight in this video was real. As it should be.

What type of monster could ever watch a Diamond Cutter without a smile coming across their face? If you're that type of fiend, I don't want to know you

Tato fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 22, 2021

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
A WCW music video you say?

https://youtu.be/FVunYuXil88

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjUrKlTlwnY

Uh, come on
Uh, uh, uh, come on
Come on, come on
When Drag finger foreman
I don't ever wanna get off
Skip three, count to ten
Ref. Griffin step to him