Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

We are 100% seeing so much Dagmar due to horny animators.

That's a weird way to spell mermaids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

That's a weird way to spell mermaids

I see what you mean there Confusingly Erotic

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I did laugh at the sign "Pauper's Graveyard- Future Site of Haunted Office Building".

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Davros1 posted:

I did laugh at the sign "Pauper's Graveyard- Future Site of Haunted Office Building".

The one that got me was "Dreamland: Home of Mold and Mildew".

Say what you like about the quality of the show overall, Disenchantment's sign joke game is on point.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

every single joke falls flat. who is this show for

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

To sum up my reaction for the past 3 seasons:

"Is this going somewhere? Wow, we're finally going somewhere! No, we went nowhere."

Are we watching the same show?

They've gone to a dead city. They've gone to he'll. They've gone steampunk, mines of moria, they've gone to a magical forest and an evil city. They've changed rulers and societies...

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Its like there's no chemistry between any of the characters and the creepy elfo doesn't help. too bad, the plot is fine and the settings are interesting, I wanted more of the steam punk land

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I've started to hate the intrigue in this show. I mean the Archdruidess tackles Bean and says don't trust Alva. That kind of stuff just reeks of Bad Robot writing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

Are we watching the same show?

They've gone to a dead city. They've gone to he'll. They've gone steampunk, mines of moria, they've gone to a magical forest and an evil city. They've changed rulers and societies...

No, the *show* isn't going anywhere, not just the background where they make terrible unfunny jokes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dongicus posted:

every single joke falls flat. who is this show for

it's for me, to punish me

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Gildiss posted:

I have been rewatching Futurama and it is almost exactly the same. The stuff you remember from Futurama is the good stuff but there is a lot of chaff in between those few bright spots.

This stuff is almost painful to watch actively.

I disagree if you're talking about the original 4 seasons - I found them to be really consistent in quality on rewatch with only maybe 1-3 episodes in total I wasn't keen to see again. There are a handful of gags that haven't aged well, but on the balance I found it really held up well. If you average in the movies/Comedy Central seasons into it then sure, there's plenty of chaff.

I found it hilariously presumptuous to end the current season on a cliffhanger - I guess Netflix figures we'll all keep hate-watching it, desperately waiting for it to get better.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The show was greenlit for parts 3 and 4 at the same time.

They did the same with 1 and 2.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

*shaking raises a hand*

We enjoyed it... me and the wifey got high as balls, made an endless number of bloody marys and toasted sandwiches, and watched it while cleaning the house.

Last two episodes seemed to have had a lack of focus though, until the very end

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
In shows like The Simpsons and Futurama you get to know the characters because they have some sort of consistent grounding. In Futurama, they go on all sorts of crazy adventures, but at the end of the day they're always middle class delivery workers for Planet Express. In Disenchantment, the fundamental circumstances in which the characters exist change every few episodes, so it's hard to get to know what these characters are actually like. One minute they're just civilians in a kingdom, the next they're outcasts, the next they're pirates, the next they're living underground with mole people, etc.

Imagine if the simpsons only lived in their house for like, three episodes before they moved somewhere else, and then lived in an rv, and then lived in new york, etc. The "plot" of the simpsons might be "more interesting" but would it be a better show? Noooo way

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 18, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Polo-Rican posted:

In shows like The Simpsons and Futurama you get to know the characters because they have some sort of consistent grounding. In Futurama, they go on all sorts of crazy adventures, but at the end of the day they're always middle class delivery workers for Planet Express. In Disenchantment, the fundamental circumstances in which the characters exist change every few episodes, so it's hard to get to know what these characters are actually like. One minute they're just civilians in a kingdom, the next they're outcasts, the next they're pirates, the next they're living underground with mole people, etc.

Imagine if the simpsons only lived in their house for like, three episodes before they moved somewhere else, and then lived in an rv, and then lived in new york, etc. The "plot" of the simpsons might be "more interesting" but would it be a better show? Noooo way

It’s so dumb too, because if everyone was fantasy archetypes or subversions of the archetypes you could inherently know who everyone is then it’d be fine to constantly show them places and their reactions. But everyone just acts so inconsistent, like elfo is an elf from a smurfs like villiage, but the joke isn’t that he is always innocent and naive and the joke isn’t he is the opposite of that, he’s just whatevs, and wants to gently caress a boat in one episode, then is super innocent in one and then a huge horn dog player in another. Like if they just picked anything it’d be fine

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It really sucks that they wasted King Zog on one really terrible joke over and over again throughout the whole season. The constant honking was annoying and not funny even once.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like a show where most of the main cast is actually pretty smart. Like Bean isn't a dummy, she's just stubborn and hedonistic.

I also like how Elfo has a bit more character to him than wants to get into Bean's pants.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Weird question, but is there a copy of the strings cover of Rebel Rebel they used in the trailer for this floating anywhere?

Did anyone ever figure this out?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Best I could every find out is that it was probably done by David Alan Lee

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I also like how Elfo has a bit more character to him than wants to get into Bean's pants.

I think the biggest improvement of this season is making luci not in it but also establishing he makes super mario noises with his mouth when he goes in pipes or out doors.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's hilarious Odval is still just *around*, despite trying to overthrow em'... how many times? They hand wave that away with her saying she needs his brilliance, but comon.

There's a bunch of plot threads dangling and I couldn't care less about any of em'. Which is a shame, as I really like Bean and what they're trying to do with her.

Weird seeing a show that's so desperate to constantly change it's status quo yet too chicken poo poo to actually stick with the changes. Dagmar is good, oh no she's still bad. Brother is king, oh wait no Zog is back. It'd help a lot if they just took a few episodes off from the big mystery plot and leaned into something funny. As is, you can really see the hamster wheel turning, and that's not great.

Will still watch season 4. but man, what a wasted opportunity of a show this is eh?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Ideal Disenchantment would be the characters primarily hanging around the tavern (just as the Futurama cast is primarily hanging around Planet Express) and going on weekly quests (like Futurama), with an overarching plot that affects and fleshes out the characters without changing the core settings and core characterizations (like the Fry and Leela relationship, Leela learning about her parentage, etc, in Futurama)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 19, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The World Inferno posted:

It's hilarious Odval is still just *around*, despite trying to overthrow em'... how many times? They hand wave that away with her saying she needs his brilliance, but comon.

There's a bunch of plot threads dangling and I couldn't care less about any of em'. Which is a shame, as I really like Bean and what they're trying to do with her.

Weird seeing a show that's so desperate to constantly change it's status quo yet too chicken poo poo to actually stick with the changes. Dagmar is good, oh no she's still bad. Brother is king, oh wait no Zog is back. It'd help a lot if they just took a few episodes off from the big mystery plot and leaned into something funny. As is, you can really see the hamster wheel turning, and that's not great.

Will still watch season 4. but man, what a wasted opportunity of a show this is eh?

I hate when they burn one plot line then have to remake it. Like the number of characters killed off that come back, or having kissy elf and the girl trog clearly be exactly the same character with the same jokes.

Like there is so many stories that are set somewhere then they leave, then they think of another story set there so they go back for one episode then they leave again, then they think of something that the changed status quo prevents so they just make someone new exactly the same as an old character. And some writers need obvol as a villain and some don't so he goes back and forth episode to episode. Like queen is a pirate, no wait we already wrote episodes she's queen so now she's back oh wait she's gone and a pirate again.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Ideal Disenchantment would be the characters primarily hanging around the tavern (just as the Futurama cast is primarily hanging around Planet Express) and going on weekly quests (like Futurama), with an overarching plot that affects and fleshes out the characters without changing the core settings and core characterizations (like the Fry and Leela relationship, Leela learning about her parentage, etc, in Futurama)

That's exactly what I hoped for when the show first came out - basically, medieval Futurama. Instead, what we have instead is just plot thread upon plot thread upon plot thread, with new ones being introduced and going for several episodes, and then dropped and then picked up again seemingly only when the writers remember them again, and I couldn't care less about any of them.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Old Swerdlow posted:

It really sucks that they wasted King Zog on one really terrible joke over and over again throughout the whole season. The constant honking was annoying and not funny even once.

Yeah, everything with him was just more sad than funny at every turn.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I wonder if there was a contract dispute with john dimaggio. It felt like every single plotline was "here is a reason to not have this character speak in the plot anymore" except it kept going away and coming back.

Like :
he's in a coma, no wait he's not.
He's buried in the ground, no wait he's not.
He's crazy and nonverbal, no wait he's not.
He needs to go away for a while, no wait the camera is following him.

Like every episode was written as if he would no longer be around to speak then undid it immediately and then made a new reason he might not be able to speak or interact

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I wonder if there was a contract dispute with john dimaggio. It felt like every single plotline was "here is a reason to not have this character speak in the plot anymore" except it kept going away and coming back.

Like :
he's in a coma, no wait he's not.
He's buried in the ground, no wait he's not.
He's crazy and nonverbal, no wait he's not.
He needs to go away for a while, no wait the camera is following him.

Like every episode was written as if he would no longer be around to speak then undid it immediately and then made a new reason he might not be able to speak or interact

I mean there might as well have been considering how he was used this season. They had a perfectly good John DiMaggio, and they just wasted him.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the episode where they bust out the freak show people then run out, are chased to the water. then they go back to the freak show to free the mermaid so they could be chased back to the water where THEN the mermaid can help them

i know its ghoulish to keep watching something you clearly dislike but i cant tear my eyes away from how much of a failure this show is lol. theres so much going wrong here. except visually? i think the backgrounds are really nice.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dongicus posted:

the episode where they bust out the freak show people then run out, are chased to the water. then they go back to the freak show to free the mermaid so they could be chased back to the water where THEN the mermaid can help them

i know its ghoulish to keep watching something you clearly dislike but i cant tear my eyes away from how much of a failure this show is lol. theres so much going wrong here. except visually? i think the backgrounds are really nice.

That is the weird part, nearly all the parts are there for an enjoyable show but they somehow make a show that you stare at for 30 minutes and you never laugh or have any emotional reaction to. It is just... There.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Dongicus posted:

theres so much going wrong here. except visually? i think the backgrounds are really nice.

The theme music is awesome too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dongicus posted:

So much of this show is like that, where they do something then undo it then redo it and it just seems like they need to put the episodes in a different order.

Like why not just put all the episodes where no one knows odval is evil together with ones no one knows and then the ones everyone knows together instead of writing weird back and forth nonsense where sometimes he’s an open murderer and sometimes no one cares?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Just finished this season, and very much feeling the same sense of why I felt when I finished Season 2. I get the feeling I'm going to end up watching Season 4, just in the hopes we'll get some answers on this, but with the last two seasons basically confirming that Disenchanted is just gonna keep being Disenchanted, I really can't expect a fourth season's gonna be different.

It feels like the show's writing was bizarrely rushed, where they basically had the start to a bunch of plots and twists, but didn't have the time to think them through and start consolidating them into a few clear lines. Like, there's just so much stuff thrown at the wall that suddenly stops and then comes back that it's hard to tell if any of it matters. Odval's conspiracy involves Big Joe and maybe Steamland via the Arch Druidess? The Troggs have something probably, and the Elves are tied to Dreamland's magic, a plot point suddenly brought up in Season 3 that feels really out of left field. Dagmar's in league with, what, hell now? Elfo's half-ogre and the ogres want him for some reason? Also, Oona's there until she leaves... I'm not sure if I got all of them or if I'm still missing some other conspiracies!

Disenchantment is a bunch of Simpsons/Futurama writers trying to prove that they can do the big, intricate plots you get in modern animated comedies like Adventure Time and Gravity Falls. But these writers hate writing like that and clearly don't want to, so they introduce things that just... linger. It's like if the human-hating Robot Planet in Season 1 of Futurama kept showing up in later seasons, with some ~mysterious~ connection to Santa, even though their whole story was pretty much wrapped up in one episode. Who cares about the Troggs?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Troggs are creepy in theory, and they were unsettling when they were eerily passive pawns of Dagmire, but then she leaves, and they just sort of...hang out under Dreamland and don't really bother anyone?

It reminds me of how in Futurama, every time they showed Fry being frozen [/spoiler]Nibbler is hidden as an Easter egg[spoiler] to foreshadow the big reveal, but not as well structured.

Thoughts:

Abbie Jacobson has really grown into the role of Bean, and is much stronger than when the show started. With Elfo being a more fleshed out character now, that dynamic really works. It felt like Luci was a bit sidelined this season? I've read online that it was harder to schedule him for recording with the pandemic and his own projects, not sure how true that is.

Everything Matt Berry says is funny. See also: What We Do in the Shadows.

The animation is really nice! Steamland's Metropolis inspired look was really cool and well designed.

Tress MacNeille and Maurice LaMarche are very talented, and great as their main characters, but maybe having them voice so many secondary characters is a bit distracting?

The show has this weird thing where it wants the character's actions and decisions to matter and have consequences, which makes sense in a serialized story, but also doesn't want to move too far away from the status quo for many episodes. They need to commit more to things mattering - like Odval's arc. They set him up to have a heel turn, but then backpedalled away because then they couldn't have him in the same role in the story, which was weird?

I'm interested in where the mysteries are going, overall.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2021

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Tress and Maurice (and billy west) being almost every loving character really is unreal, I wish they'd cut it out.

I dunno - I liked season 1 and 2 but this one is all over the place. Like someone said earlier although Bean has a good characterisation I feel like they're making everyone else interchangable. That bit where Elfo scared Lucie in the heads room felt so unbelievably out of character for both of them and it just made me feel like they didn't give a poo poo who did what, they just wanted to keep the jokes rolling.

And zog's whole "I'm shot, I'm buried, I'm with bean, everything is back to normal" was jarring and a bit poo poo. Just resetting the status quo so fast.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 21, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love Tress MacNeille but there was a scene in this season where it was her, talking to herself, in a three way conversation, and all of her characters are clearly her.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Nichael posted:

I love Tress MacNeille but there was a scene in this season where it was her, talking to herself, in a three way conversation, and all of her characters are clearly her.

This is even stranger when you've got noted comedic actors who aren't primarily voice actors (but have done it before) doing secondary roles. Maybe its a budget thing? And John Dimaggo only does one voice?

Richard Ayoade was pretty funny though, hopefully they'll do more with his character.

When the show pushes itself more into the serialization aspect is where it shines, it just seems too eager to run back to the status quo. It sets up the twists and reveals really well, but doesn't seem eager to commit to them having consequences.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I don't really get why they have Richard Ayoade, Rich Fulcher, and Matt Berry, and barely use them.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
they've got the richest loving voice cast ever and this is what they're doing

really makes you think

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I am curious how far ahead they're planning to go with the story, and if the ending has been decided already. The release schedule for this show is strange, and I'm hoping everything slides together at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I guess in a different show it’d be the joke to have so many but how many Family curses and destines does bean have at this point?