Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I haven't had this problem, but that may be because I installed a mod that lets you play the game in borderless windowed mode. It's this option under the Viva New Vegas guide: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/utilities.html#onetweak

seconding this - made alt+tab very stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Saxxon's Quest are pretty lore friendly and simple, use some Van Buren stuff for background.

Someguy series is really good, although I think he kinda went up into his own butthole with his ultimate antagonist Marko, as if you play the mods it kind of narrates Marko as your ultimate most important showdown that scars your character. I find that kind of annoying because I believe a mod should give you more stuff to do, but not attempt to change the main game story to make their included stuff be on the same level of importance as vanilla stuff. If you don't like that though, just stick with Bounties I, II, The Inheritance, and Russell for really good quest mods.

Just bring a Minigun or something else for those last two though.

I hear Northern Road Remastered is really good too.

There's also PuceMoose, a goon-made series of mods that I hear are great but conflict with Bounties so I haven't tried them.

I play the first bounties back in like 2014 I think and I recall being pretty disappointed in it. I remember it just being "go here and kill this guy and come back" fallout 3/4 style.

I want actually meaningful choices and nuanced situations like in the base game. I get writing something like that then programming all those different quest paths is a shitload of work, but all these New Vegas quest mods that are just go here and kill everyone is so so boring to me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jamie Faith posted:

I play the first bounties back in like 2014 I think and I recall being pretty disappointed in it. I remember it just being "go here and kill this guy and come back" fallout 3/4 style.

I want actually meaningful choices and nuanced situations like in the base game. I get writing something like that then programming all those different quest paths is a shitload of work, but all these New Vegas quest mods that are just go here and kill everyone is so so boring to me.

The thing to keep in mind is that you're asking for writing on the level of professional developers who are widely regarded as some of the best in the industry. Good writing is hard, as is game design, and it shouldn't be a surprise that most people who are talented at both aren't putting their work out for free and/or are working on their own projects.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that you're asking for writing on the level of professional developers who are widely regarded as some of the best in the industry. Good writing is hard, as is game design, and it shouldn't be a surprise that most people who are talented at both aren't putting their work out for free and/or are working on their own projects.

Yeah, I totally understand that. But I'm still just left wondering why even bother downloading and playing mediocre quest mods, when the base game's quest mods are infinitely better.

I seriously want to start making my own quest mods for the game and try to atleast come somewhat close to the quality of the base game. (easier said than done, I know) Feels like most modders don't even try to imo

Sorry, I don't mean to be such a snob. I just love NV so much (it's my favorite RPG ever made) lol and I wish the modding scene was better (as unrealistic as that wish may be)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
a big problem is the people who can do the technical part tend to overestimate how good they are at the writing part and/or have no interest in collaborating with a writer and implementing someone else's idea; and there are surely very good writers out there that are just as poorly equipped to do the technical part.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I kinda wish there was a mod that added radiant faction wars quests. Like randomly generated bounties/raids you could do against NCR or Legion positions. I heard NV Bounties 2 added some but I can’t think of another mod that has. That being said I’ve never played the gamebryo games that had randomly generated quests so if they’re actually a dumpster fire than I could see why no ones done it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They weren't so much a trash fire as they were boring and samey. There's only so much fun you can have making GBS threads a buncha guys in a circle when there's no good story reason or service to back it up

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

AceBuckeye13 posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

a big problem is the people who can do the technical part tend to overestimate how good they are at the writing part and/or have no interest in collaborating with a writer and implementing someone else's idea; and there are surely very good writers out there that are just as poorly equipped to do the technical part.

These are both good points. I recently wrote for a fan magazine for another genre, and saw some other fan submissions that made the cut, and the way they wrote things to get ideas across quickly and succinctly blew me away and made me re-consider how I was doing things. You also run into the problem on team collaborations where some people are going to be putting in more work than others and may steer the mod in directions the others don't want, but hey they're putting in the work.

I still think we should get a goon mod collaboration going. Lotta work but could be fun.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
http://sinitargaming.com/nv.html

this is the guide i was following and i managed to install something like 200 mods and the game ran well. the frontier broke it.

what is the new vegas essential mod guide? im talking about stability and making the game prettier

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Frontier has a list of mods that aren't compatible available on Google Docs. I don't have the link ready at the moment, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I never used Sinitar because that seemed *way* too stuffed with mods to work remotely well in the long run.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
holy hell i had 213 mods, uninstalling everything and staring again. this will take awhile

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I went pretty close to the vanilla install and Frontier is still very crash prone in a lot of Chapter 1, so be sure to quicksave a lot. There are some very long spans where you have to just wait for scripted poo poo to play out and having to replay that stuff because the game blew up for the 5th time in an hour is kind of a negative

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah its generally accepted that Sinitar Gaming is talking out of his rear end and there's no way his modlist is anywhere near stable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't he straight up steal most his poo poo from a different youtuber. I swear I saw this dumbass drama somewhere

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Zeta Acosta posted:

what is the new vegas essential mod guide? im talking about stability and making the game prettier

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/. there's no real new content or prettiness in vnv but it makes the game playable in 2021

thats an update of another guide thats more along the lines of what you're looking for but isnt updated anymore. what i ended up doing a couple weeks ago was installing all of vnv and then going back and getting the extra stuff that looked cool, mostly content not so much the visuals, from living in new vegas. and lombard station of course. there's a wabbajack list for ttw that looks like vnv but fo3 is still bad even in new vegas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I still think we should get a goon mod collaboration going. Lotta work but could be fun.

A small Followers of the Apocalypse team in the northwest corner of the map collecting soil samples to find viable plots for crop planting begin to butt heads with an OSI scientist and his NCR guard detachment who argue that the Followers are on NCR property and should hand over their research and get lost. Resolve the quest by either siding with the Followers or NCR with reputation loss for the loser faction, or manage to resolve things by realizing that one of the freelancer guards working for the Followers is actually a Legion Frumentarii playing both sides to stoke aggression between the Followers and NCR.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wish we could get a new version of Naky’s armory mod where he just compiled all the gun mods so you didn’t have to install a million of them separately bc of how protective people are of their mods and unlike the big gun packs out rn, also had a ton of melee and energy weapons instead of just it being entirely modern warfare guns bc the mod makers are boring gun nerds

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zeta Acosta posted:

http://sinitargaming.com/nv.html

this is the guide i was following and i managed to install something like 200 mods and the game ran well. the frontier broke it.

I know you already said you're nuking your install but good lord, what a terrible mod list. Just so much stuff that's irrelevant, outdated, or flat-out bad.

e: Like honestly I understand the drive to install hundreds of mods (I've certainly done it myself), but at some point you eventually realize that the base New Vegas experience is good enough that you don't need all that extraneous junk. Get some basic mods that help the game run smoother and maybe add a handful of features and you're good to go, no need for ten different "overhaul" mods.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 23, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I know you already said your nuking your install but good lord, what a terrible mod list. Just so much stuff that's irrelevant, outdated, or flat-out bad.

yeah im doing the viva las vegas one and is so much shorter but still what a waste of time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I know you already said your nuking your install but good lord, what a terrible mod list. Just so much stuff that's irrelevant, outdated, or flat-out bad.

26 perk/trait mods

with all the dlc if you don't mod in extra perks you can only ever get a total of 25 perks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sinitar's modlist was so bad that it actually got deleted from the nexus because he dumped it on there and told anyone who pointed out his list caused incompatibilities to take it up with the individual mod authors.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

never have seen the appeal of just adopting someone else's gigantic mod list without looking at what individual ones do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I very much appreciated that the old Viva New Vegas guide told you why it was including a given mode.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I'm noticing that Viva New Vegas is incompatible with Essential Visuals Enhanced, and most specifically the energy weapons and energy effects.

Which sucks. I love those. Is there any advice on getting that working properly? Are the incompatibilities there minor enough that I could just live with them?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katsuma posted:

I'm noticing that Viva New Vegas is incompatible with Essential Visuals Enhanced, and most specifically the energy weapons and energy effects.

Which sucks. I love those. Is there any advice on getting that working properly? Are the incompatibilities there minor enough that I could just live with them?

oof. Yeah EVE is a must for me. The polish to the energy weapons makes it so much more fun to play an energy guns character

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Katsuma posted:

It really isn't incompatible. Just have EVE override the WMIM alterations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Arcsquad12 posted:

It really isn't incompatible. Just have EVE override the WMIM alterations.

Fuckin' nice! Is it the same story with Weapon Mods Expanded?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Katsuma posted:

Fuckin' nice! Is it the same story with Weapon Mods Expanded?

Not quite. Weapon Mods Expanded will not work with WMIM, but it is compatible with EVE through a patch. If you want the weapon retextures Millennia did you'll have to use the ones from the 1.95 release rather than the textures adjusted to fit the WMIM model changes.

If you go whole hog with texture and weapon modding I recommend Weapon Compatibility Project to lower your plugin count. Of course with the plugin fix mod it's not as pressing nowadays but it can reduce clutter.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 23, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Katsuma posted:

If you go on the VNV discord and search for EVE there is a version made for compatibility with LINV/VNV. You can also send me a PM and I can send you a link. It's not publicly hosted due to modder permissions

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Does this version remove the annoying changes to the really cool Laser RCW?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Does this version remove the annoying changes to the really cool Laser RCW?

It does not, but you can easily overwrite it with something like this - Arsenal Weapon Overhaul - Laser RCW

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some new mods.

Standalone version of Project Nevada's Equipment Module. Before long I hope they release the PN rebalance module as a standalone.

A very pretty retexture of the T-51B Power Armour.

Someone is going through The Frontier trying to fix more questionable design decisions from the devs. Nothing yet on making it so you aren't turnign America into your slave, but it's by the same guy who made the "nuke the sex lizards" mod, so I think his head and heart are in the right place.

He's also made this mod to alter some of the Frontier's character faces.
Before:

After:

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 23, 2021

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Apparently chuds are cancelling the frontier for calling the enclave racist, which seems kinda bizarre bc they were always extremely racist? Like their whole Fallout 2 plan was to genocide the wasteland for not being genetically pure?

That being said considering the quality of frontier writing so far I imagine they probably botched the execution horribly.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 23, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I haven't played the mod yet but my theory is that the New Frontier writers maybe added some dialogue that implies that the Enclave is a white supremacy organization, and chuds being chuds took this as a personal attack or that liberal snowflake new vegas modders inserted irl politics "for no reason". Although admittedly I could see this being botched by the New Frontier writers by having the Enclave characters say hard R n-words a lot because they're edgy dumbshits.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

theres a really awfully written dialogue option where your character talks like a goon and says some internet poo poo like "the enclave? you mean that fash paramilitary army thats OBJECTIVELY evil?"

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Dongicus posted:

theres a really awfully written dialogue option where your character talks like a goon and says some internet poo poo like "the enclave? you mean that fash paramilitary army thats OBJECTIVELY evil?"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

games goons wrote for this mod 100%

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dongicus posted:

Where's the lie?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The line's a little on the nose and doesn't sound like a real conversation but it's hilarious that it got literally anyone upset lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine wanting to play some Fallout and you're getting the C-SPAM RPG, instead.