Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

They all look like Mr Color numbers to me.

The H-xx that is.

Numbers on the left are Mr. Color (lacquer) numbers, numbers on the right are Aqueous Hobby Color numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you have a local hobby shop go with whatever they stock, it’s much easier to run out and grab a bottle when you run out of white and get back to work than it is to run out and have to sit around for a week waiting for it it show up on the mail.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I've built models before but I'm looking to try painting for the first time. Can anyone recommend a place to order paints from as an american?

The model I'm planning to make (the Ikaruga, from the shmup of the same name) comes with a guide on how to make the colors used in the sample pictures, but the names are in japanese

Is there a good way to tell what these correspond to? I assume I can use the letter/numbers if I know what brand it is? Alternatively, if trying to use the provided colors is a bad idea (too expensive, recommending bad brands, whatever), what would be good to go with instead?

Here are the color names

Silver 1 (undercoat)
97% White
3% Medium Blue

Silver 1 (overcoat)
90% White Pearl
10% Smoke Grey

Silver 2
65% Silver
30% White
5% Clear Blue

Whatever this gold is
40% Silver
40% Clear Orange
15% Smoke Grey
5% Neutral Grey

Base
30% Smoke Grey
30% Clear Red
30% Clear Orange
10% Black

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Puddin posted:

They all look like Mr Color numbers to me.

The H-xx that is.

Yeah I think the first number is for standard Mr. Color (laquer) paints and the H-xx numbers are for the water based mr. Color "aqueous" paints

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
here is a color chart with English names if that helps

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finally got this done. Had to strip most of this god drat thing after I was just about to put on the flat coat. I accidentally grabbed the silver spray can instead of a flat coat. Thankfully I did the back first so I didn't ruin any of the major decals. Some parts broke during dissasembly and likely due to my frustration so had to glue poo poo together. I think I may have put parts of the backpack on the wrong way. I don't care. I just want to put this on my display case and never move it again..

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2021

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Looks good. Nice shading

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like the US p-bandai store got the MK-V and others.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My Cybuster arrive din the mail today! :allears: Thanks again to the poster who gave me the link to buy it.

I ordered some nippers online, which I should have done at the same time I bought the kit, so it's gonna be a while before I build it. But it's here!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I want to do some custom work but I'm not sure if I can.

I want to do a Double-Shield Jesta, and I have a spare shield from the Jesta Cannon pack I got, but

1. The Shield isn't symmetrical
2. There's no real connector for the 'right' arm. So I had to do some modifications to remove some plastic. But is there any way to 'reverse' this shield? Or am I doomed before I started?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't see how it would be possible to get a mirrored version of the shield without completely making it from scratch. You might be better served finding alternate shield options.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Give him two shields on the same side

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

So I decided to try a seam line removal and I hosed up, I musn't have used enough plastic cement. But now the piece is welded so I can't remove it, is there a way to fix a seam line after welding a piece?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Green stuff or any similar modelling putting. Prepare it, work it into the gap, then remove as much as possible before it hardens, then after it's set sand to remove excess.

e: wait is it a gap or is it a protrusion, because if it's a protrusion just sand it off

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ignimbrite posted:

Green stuff or any similar modelling putting. Prepare it, work it into the gap, then remove as much as possible before it hardens, then after it's set sand to remove excess.

e: wait is it a gap or is it a protrusion, because if it's a protrusion just sand it off

given my nail gets caught going both ways, Imma guess gap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

So I decided to try a seam line removal and I hosed up, I musn't have used enough plastic cement. But now the piece is welded so I can't remove it, is there a way to fix a seam line after welding a piece?

In addition to applying cement you have to also press the pieces together until a little ridge of plastic squeezes from the seam and keep pressure via clamps or rubber bands if the pieces are heavy enough to pull apart when you put them down.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

In addition to applying cement you have to also press the pieces together until a little ridge of plastic squeezes from the seam and keep pressure via clamps or rubber bands if the pieces are heavy enough to pull apart when you put them down.

Yeah, I did I just didn't use enough cement, I only did one coat on each pieces inside and an outer coat.

EDIT: and decided that what I was gonna do for the Double Shield Jesta is get some Jegan shields and paint em up.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 23, 2021

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Onmi posted:

If you ain't fully painting that part, you can try melting some chopped up sprue parts in a little plastic cement.
Wait for the melted parts to become putty like in its consistency then just slap it over the gap.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Games Workshop makes a product called Liquid Green Stuff specifically for filling seams and small gaps. You apply it to the gap with a brush and sand it down once it dries.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

JackDarko posted:

The Endless Waltz Wing Crew is going to be available for pre-order today at 6:00 PM PST on Premium Bandai. I'm looking forward to being able to pick up the kits at retail. I have Deathscythe and Wing Custom, but couldn't convince myself to pay the very expensive prices for the other suits.

I forgot I ordered these and they just arrived in the mail. I’m pretty excited to build them out. I’m not stoked about the pressure of not being able to easily purchase another kit if I mess one of these up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

$286 AUD for 6 P-Bandai kits essentially. I'm debating this hard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

$286 AUD for 6 P-Bandai kits essentially. I'm debating this hard.

That’s actually not too far out of whack from what they cost in the US when the aud/usd conversion is factored in.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
What shops that from? I'm always on the hunt for different locations to buy from.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So has anyone in the US successfully purchased the rabiot weapon options set? The one I ordered went from “September release” all the way to “January Release” and no clue as to when it’s actually going to show up.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dalong has a review of the RG Zeong up. I wasn't expecting to like the look of it as much as I do.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
it looks only half finished though?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kuvo posted:

it looks only half finished though?

The brass won't tell you this, but legs are just for show.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Excessively huge HG.

Take aways from this one: HGs have some seriously janky panel lines compared to MG/PG/RG, and I really need to etch them in on the next one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Excessively huge HG.

Take aways from this one: HGs have some seriously janky panel lines compared to MG/PG/RG, and I really need to etch them in on the next one.

"It's a lovely morning in the Universal Century, and you are a horrible goose"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Puddin posted:

What shops that from? I'm always on the hunt for different locations to buy from.

Side 7 Exports.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DigitalRaven posted:

Dalong has a review of the RG Zeong up. I wasn't expecting to like the look of it as much as I do.

goddamn

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Onmi posted:

Side 7 Exports.

Just an FYI with this guy, he's incredibly back logged with orders. I'm still waiting on something I ordered back in August.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Azubah posted:

Just an FYI with this guy, he's incredibly back logged with orders. I'm still waiting on something I ordered back in August.

Oh yeah, I heard that basically it takes forever, but it is reliable.

Also, I found the Penelope/Xi Effect package for $225 AUD so I snapped that up from Hobby0096 who's AUS based.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Oh yeah Side 7 is great. Didn't recognise the cart in the picture.

I've ordered from him before. Took about 3-4 months to arrive.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

Lacquers are the worst but don’t spray anything without ventilation.

And a mask with filters rated for organic solvents. You can get a 3m half-face mask and filter cartridges for about $40. Do so.

I've been using https://www.scalehobbyist.com/ for paints lately, they've got a good search engine, restock fairly often, and have a wide range.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Solkanar512 posted:

So has anyone in the US successfully purchased the rabiot weapon options set? The one I ordered went from “September release” all the way to “January Release” and no clue as to when it’s actually going to show up.

I've found a couple at Hobbytown stores here in the US but I've been waiting on an order with them in from USA Gundam Store for about 6 months now

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's a good RG to cut my teeth on? I thought of the GP01-Fb but I have not heard good things about it (and it's one of the earlier ones). Are Force Impulse and Tallgeese good?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Both of those are really good options, yeah. Any of the later RGs really.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

What's a good RG to cut my teeth on? I thought of the GP01-Fb but I have not heard good things about it (and it's one of the earlier ones). Are Force Impulse and Tallgeese good?

Impulse and Tallgeese are good, yeah. Tallgeese is less intimidating than the Nu or the Sazabi, and it's pretty small, but it's pretty nice looking overall.

Haven't built the Impulse, but I hear good things.

(The Nu and the Sazabi are the best Gundam RGs right now, but they're a little more of a commitment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yep the Nu, Sazabi, and Tallgeese are all great. Tallgeese in particular looks like something you'd find in a museum gift shop. One of the very few models I think looks better without panel lining or topcoat, the off-white pieces provide the shading and the white white parts have some kind of special coating that makes it look slightly pearlescent.

Just make sure you get an action base for any of those. All three are liable to fall over or stand awkwardly. The Nu has a hefty backpack, the Tallgeese has spindly little legs with a chonky upper body and big weapons, and the Sazabi looks like a pile of curves until it's freed from gravity and then it really comes alive.