Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

DLC Inc posted:

drat those are some of the best looking Orks I've seen ever, much better than the dull greens I always see everywhere. What'd you do to get that great shade of green?

So the undershade is done with an airbrush to set up the volumes. I go from black primer to neutral grey to pure white. Then I hit the skin with contrast Plaguebearer flesh, and when that's dry I go over it with a mix of contrast Ork flesh and contrast medium (maybe 1:3), and then it's done. You can get a similar effect going straight over a bright base coat from a can, like white primer or in my previous case Wraithbone. It just won't have the same volumes.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished these 5 orks in about an hour. I figure adding more to this batch wouldn't have taken too much longer, but the process is astonishingly quick.

Also here's my instagram! Follow me and I'll follow you back https://www.instagram.com/buttcheeksio/

Those look great!

Also, followed!
I’m https://www.instagram.com/xenomrph/

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I tried to paint a raider like a Trireme and ended up with a very pointy rubber duck but I love it and will not be changing it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Traveling CCircus thread has come to Trad Games! This is a thread for sharing your creative output with other goons from across the wide forums. Do browse it to see some of the cool poo poo people have made and done, and then please also feel free to post a sample of your (TG or non-TG related) creative stuff there!

It would be especially cool if some of you dropped in to post your painted-up minis and terrain and such.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The idea that quarantine would give me time to get lot of minis painted turned out to be a complete lie.
These guys have been on my desk for months, I finally finished them off.

Pretty happy with the captain.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Did another carcharadon, just need the transfer on his shoulder.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
is that scale 75 decayed metal on that shield? I did the skulls and pistol casing on my Indomitus LT with it, still haven't finished it, gotta do recess shade and edging still T_T

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

kolinsky sable brushes are starting to fall apart and I don't know if I've been super happy with them. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at some raphael 8404's, size wise should I just be aiming for a 0 and a 1? In Canada if that affects anything

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like big brush and i cannot lie

i think as long as it holds a tip, you can do really fine intricate work with a size 4 as a size 0. plus it holds more paint and doesn’t dry out as quick so you don’t have to go back to your palette every 5 seconds. save the small brushes for when you want to paint something really fiddly like in behind a blaster or smth

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dire Avengers done

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Xposting from the 40k thread

ro5s posted:

I painted some genestealers

And their dad

And their weird aunt

I've got a few more to repaint, warriors and my trygon but I'm sick of looking at tyranids for a while, so have the full army

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

kolinsky sable brushes are starting to fall apart and I don't know if I've been super happy with them. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at some raphael 8404's, size wise should I just be aiming for a 0 and a 1? In Canada if that affects anything

I have Rosemary Series 33s which I bought in 0, 1, and 3 sizing - I have ended up using the size 0 as my brush for small metallics work and the 1 or even the 3 for everything else (including detail work as at least for me the tips on the 1 and 3 stay pointed better even before I started using the 0 for metallics). Basically agreeing with jesus WEP here, smaller brush size is only really useful for areas where you're having to fish the brush itself between a spear shaft and a leg or whatever.

If I was only buying two sizes I'd get a 1 and a 3, and honestly the next time I buy brushes I might get something even bigger than a 3 for a quicker easier job of painting bigger minis.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

w00tmonger posted:

I use an 8404 size 2 for all my fine detail work and it's plenty small. The bigger belly means that it holds more paint/moisture and you can work a little longer without worrying about the paint drying in the bristles.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Quick blob of 10 boyz

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

Let me know if you find an affordable vendor to get them from, it's pretty hard to find any Raphael at a decent price in Canada.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
Just finished a blob of boys my self, and I gotta say your green makes them look incredible. I'm blown away every time you share your progress!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

And then it turns out the Shadow Elves are the real Aussies of the Mortal Realms.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

w00tmonger posted:

Size 0, 1 & 2 8404’s will paint basically everything you need and are great.

Grab some brush soap while you’re at it and they’ll last for ages.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally finished half of my Infinity starter box, yellow and white are pains in the rear end.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dreylad posted:

Let me know if you find an affordable vendor to get them from, it's pretty hard to find any Raphael at a decent price in Canada.

DeSerres on Grandview had a single 8404 #1 last time I checked like 3 weeks ago that I was tempted to grab as a backup in case mine died

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Eej posted:

DeSerres on Grandview had a single 8404 #1 last time I checked like 3 weeks ago that I was tempted to grab as a backup in case mine died

Plus if you live in/around Vancouver, there is a dope hobby shop right next to the Deserres on Grandview. It focuses on model trains, but they carry a ton of tools and supplies that would work for any hobbyist.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Central Hobbies owns, they just ordered in the whole reformulated range of Vallejo Metal Colour plus they got Vallejo Pigments and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

I can't recommend the Raphael's enough. Super long taper is really nice for detail work - I find I use a size 1 for almost everything. My only gripe is the 8404s are probably too good at drawing a line - I've found my fatter Windsor Newtons to be better for blending.

I recently picked up some 8408s and 8394s, the super tapered and synthetic watercolour brushes.

The 8394s are really soft and beautiful for nice broad strokes, and excellent for glazing. I've only used them for a couple of weeks so I haven't really given them a good run yet. 8408s are just nice for detail, but really I just got them for that uber taper.

Not painting heaps but first model I used the new brushes on - Mardin from GW's Middle Earth Stategy Battle Game:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Space Marines are so easy to paint compared to other things I've been working on

I mean... "Paint", not "paint well". But it makes me want to buy some Blood Angels.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Red Herring posted:

I can't recommend the Raphael's enough. Super long taper is really nice for detail work - I find I use a size 1 for almost everything. My only gripe is the 8404s are probably too good at drawing a line - I've found my fatter Windsor Newtons to be better for blending.

I recently picked up some 8408s and 8394s, the super tapered and synthetic watercolour brushes.

The 8394s are really soft and beautiful for nice broad strokes, and excellent for glazing. I've only used them for a couple of weeks so I haven't really given them a good run yet. 8408s are just nice for detail, but really I just got them for that uber taper.

Not painting heaps but first model I used the new brushes on - Mardin from GW's Middle Earth Stategy Battle Game:

I'm looking at getting into glazes hard. Worth going I the 8394 direction at all? I really don't have the skill/knowledge to point to specific variations of brush

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Space Marines are so easy to paint compared to other things I've been working on

I mean... "Paint", not "paint well". But it makes me want to buy some Blood Angels.

The latest models from Primaris forwards are especially easy to paint, they're definitely well designed for novices to be able to produce a really good looking paint job.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've found something weird with my masters brush cleaner, little hard balls all over inside it. I scraped some out, here's one with a ballpoint pen for scale.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

I'm looking at getting into glazes hard. Worth going I the 8394 direction at all? I really don't have the skill/knowledge to point to specific variations of brush

Probably not unless you have the :fivecbux: to burn. They're really nice and make life easier, but I guess it really depends on how much glazing you are doing. I'm also a proponent of the more brushes you have the better you paint, you could just try one and see how it feels.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is there a good step up set of brushes from entry level? I read the OP but it didn't have any specific recommendations. I bought a set of Transon brushes off Amazon to start, and they're okay but was interested in something better, maybe not $30/brush level.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Is there a good step up set of brushes from entry level? I read the OP but it didn't have any specific recommendations. I bought a set of Transon brushes off Amazon to start, and they're okay but was interested in something better, maybe not $30/brush level.

Even high end ones like W&N or Raphael should be like $15 per brush, unless the price has really shot up in the last year. Rosemary and Co. is a notch down from that and a good deal for the price.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Crackbone posted:

Honestly, and not everyone is going to agree with this, but.... tools dont make the workman. While you are learning expensive brushes arent going to help, get cheap brushes that are comfortable to hold, and use them like you stole them. After you are comfortable with your brush control, get whatever you like (nb I still like cheap brushes because I worry I'd gently caress up expensive brushes and paint better without that worry constantly in the back of my head, but other people arent me and might benefit from the windsor and newton or whatever.)

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, and not everyone is going to agree with this, but.... tools dont make the workman. While you are learning expensive brushes arent going to help.

On the other hand I wouldn't hire a carpenter who drove nails with a rock. You probably don't need a nice brush for your first 5 or 10 miniatures when you're just learning the basic motor controls and your paintjobs will be lousy anyway, but past that I think getting better brushes makes for a noticeably better painting experience than a learn to paint kit pack-in or a 10 for a dollar Walmart brush pack. Cheap brushes definitely do have their places, though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have some mid range brushes that frustrate me, and some value pack golden taklon brushes that I absolutely love, so... Yeah, try some cheap stuff and see if there's something specific you want to change (holding more paint, stiffer/springier bristles/etc)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The responses are appreciated.

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, and not everyone is going to agree with this, but.... tools dont make the workman.

I feel like I'm at the point I've done enough to feel out if better brushes help me at all. Considering all the money I've spent on this project, $30 for better brushes isn't a big deal.

The Moon Monster posted:

Even high end ones like W&N or Raphael should be like $15 per brush, unless the price has really shot up in the last year. Rosemary and Co. is a notch down from that and a good deal for the price.

I'm window shopping on Amazon and some of the W&N brushes are pushing $25 for mini-painting sizes. BUT, if ~$15 a brush should be the going price I can look for other places to buy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Moon Monster posted:

On the other hand I wouldn't hire a carpenter who drove nails with a rock. You probably don't need a nice brush for your first 5 or 10 miniatures when you're just learning the basic motor controls and your paintjobs will be lousy anyway, but past that I think getting better brushes makes for a noticeably better painting experience than a learn to paint kit pack-in or a 10 for a dollar Walmart brush pack. Cheap brushes definitely do have their places, though.

If you got so much better in your first 10 miniatures that cheap chinese synthetics were no longer good enough, then you are a much faster learner than me. I'll take the guy competently banging nails in with a rock over the guy who barely knows which end of his bespoke hand crafted £200 hammer to hold any day. gently caress, if we're bringing in dubious metaphors the guys who fixed my oven the other day hammered a screwdriver into the end of toasted screws with the handle of a spanner, but it got the job done quickly and cleanly with the tool they had to hand.

I stand by the post though (and I did say not everyone would agree). Buy a bunch of cheap brushes, see what you like. Personally I've found that I much prefer brushes with a wider grip (preferably triangular) for long painting sessions, but that I habitually go back to the water pot/paint often enough that a bigger belly isnt that much of a benefit. My workhorse brush, which I've used for the bulk of the last twelve months has been a #1 "artbrush tower" brush I picked up off wish.com for somewhere south of £1 (which is true but slightly misleading as it was like... 6-7 brushes for £5 or similar). I've also had excellent value from a GW brush which was free with a magazine. It was okay for basecoats for a good few months, now its lost its point and been downgraded to washes, drybrushing metallics, and painting bases, but it still finds use. If it comes to a point and has bristles, it'll transfer paint to miniature.

I stand on the "Dont buy expensive brushes until your initial cheap brushes are wearing out, and even then you can absolutely continue with cheap brushes if you like" platform. And if you cant keep a cheap brush usuable for a decent amount of time, how many expensive brushes are you going to go through in the next 12 months?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gonna disagree hard with buying cheap brushes. I think that's fine to determine if you like the hobby but once you plan to stick with it, some R&Co or DaVinci are a good idea. Cheap brushes kept me from painting regularly for a long time since I was having synthetics go bad on me after two or three hours. If I'd just spent some money upfront I'd probably have saved money overall. Also if you have a brush that you're not constantly fighting tip curl or splaying with it makes the hobby much more enjoyable.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cat Face Joe posted:

Gonna disagree hard with buying cheap brushes. I think that's fine to determine if you like the hobby but once you plan to stick with it, some R&Co or DaVinci are a good idea. Cheap brushes kept me from painting regularly for a long time since I was having synthetics go bad on me after two or three hours. If I'd just spent some money upfront I'd probably have saved money overall. Also if you have a brush that you're not constantly fighting tip curl or splaying with it makes the hobby much more enjoyable.

I mean, J-tips happen with synthetic brushes, but splaying? To me that means you're getting paint in the ferrule of your brush, and that'll screw it no matter what it cost unless you are cleaning it properly. But again, you do you. If you want a more expensive brush, go ahead and get one, and the soap to keep it good. But the question was really "Are there good mid-range brushes" to which I still think the answer is "No, not really". You can go various levels of expensive (winsor and newton, rosemary and co), or you can go cheap, and at either end you have to kind of roll the dice on what gets sent to you at the moment, unless you live somewhere you can browse in person currently.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I stand by a mixture of Squidmar's suggestion to buy a decent brush because it's harder to learn and have fun if you're fighting your tools and my own opinion of "if you can buy hundreds of dollars of plastic then you're adult enough to take care of a $20 brush"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eej posted:

I stand by a mixture of Squidmar's suggestion to buy a decent brush because it's harder to learn and have fun if you're fighting your tools and my own opinion of "if you can buy hundreds of dollars of plastic then you're adult enough to take care of a $20 brush"

Is he the one who recently brought out his own brushes for sale and gave them to other hobby youtubers or is that someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SiKboy posted:

Is he the one who recently brought out his own brushes for sale and gave them to other hobby youtubers or is that someone else?

That's him.

poo poo, even vince ventrulla says "use nice brushes for fine detail, use poo poo brushes for crapwork like basecoats/washes/contrasts"