Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mayveena posted:

Are the maps procedurally generated in DSP?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I bought in because of the excitement here and it seems like it might hit for me. I liked Satisfactory but haven't found a time to get back in since launch - not out of not wanting to play, just having things I prefer more, kind of. Factorio I bounced off of somewhat, but I like the idea of space and the visual style enough I'll give it a try. Definitely will be conscious of the two hour mark but it seems cool!

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
For the last 2-3 days I hesitated between buying Factorio and Satisfactory... so I bought Dyson Sphere Program instead. Already lost 3 or so hours in it, and I think I'll spend many more. Everything is running inefficiently, of course, and my area of the planet looks like spaghetti art, but I'm loving it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Being able to make buildings in the replicator owns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 'replicator' is just pocket-crafting by a different name, right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

The 'replicator' is just pocket-crafting by a different name, right?

Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think you could "craft" buildings ahead of time in Factorio. Seems like it'll be handy to pre-make a bunch of factories or something.

Edit: I think I am mistaken.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

you could, they were stored in inventory just like DSP

Seems like the only difference between the two games in that regard is one has a separate UI for pocket crafts. which now that i think about it seems like a good idea, why does factorio always take up screenspace displaying that with your inventory anyway

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Got about 4 hours in DSP and I'm loving it.

Best feature I've noticed: if I go Esc -> Exit, it automatically saves the game in a _lastexit_ file. No forgetting to save here.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What the heck do you do with all the refined oil you make while making hydrogen for red science?

I know you can sort of loop it around with 2 H to make 3H, but other than that I’m just making boxes and boxes of polymers and it’s getting kind of annoying.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello thread, I too have bought DSP. Taking out trash while it is downloading.

My entire nerd game youtube ecosystem dropped dsp vids today and yesterday. Regular weekly factorio crew dropped today due to like work and poo poo. This thread pushed me over the edge.

I've never experienced such a coordinated one-day assault on my wallet before.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What the heck do you do with all the refined oil you make while making hydrogen for red science?

I know you can sort of loop it around with 2 H to make 3H, but other than that I’m just making boxes and boxes of polymers and it’s getting kind of annoying.

Save it in tanks to make sulphuric acid later.

Edit: I'm really really hoping there is workshop support and blueprint saving coming in the future.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Trip report on Ancient Cities. It's pretty bad. If they've run through all their kickstarter money over the last two years, and they pushed out this to EA at 40 bux they are in trouble, and the game is likely sunk. I built everything there is to build in about an hour, and there isn't meaningful ways to interact with anything. Im very disappointed, I hope they can turn it around but it would be a crazy miracle at this point. Dawn of Man is like Sim City 4 compared to this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grevlek posted:

Trip report on Ancient Cities. It's pretty bad. If they've run through all their kickstarter money over the last two years, and they pushed out this to EA at 40 bux they are in trouble, and the game is likely sunk. I built everything there is to build in about an hour, and there isn't meaningful ways to interact with anything. Im very disappointed, I hope they can turn it around but it would be a crazy miracle at this point. Dawn of Man is like Sim City 4 compared to this.

Lol yeah I checked out the steam page when it was first mentioned here and there are an alarming amount of downvotes. I saw the one saying the dev is out of money and the game is like a tech demo at this point and decided it would be best to avoid this one like the plague.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Lol yeah I checked out the steam page when it was first mentioned here and there are an alarming amount of downvotes. I saw the one saying the dev is out of money and the game is like a tech demo at this point and decided it would be best to avoid this one like the plague.

I've been watching it for a few years, and this isn't much farther along than than the first gameplay video. I saw the reviews but moved forward with purchasing it because you have to support the types of titles you would like to see.

Basically the same thing happened with clockwork empires discussed a few pages back. Looks like I'll have yet another steam city builder abandoned by the devs :clown:

Edit I'll have to get this dyson sphere game. I loved Satisfactory but bounced off Factorio so maybe this will be the sweet spot

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 22, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i really wish i could just plop a splitter down on a belt like you can infactorio, in DSP

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

queeb posted:

i really wish i could just plop a splitter down on a belt like you can infactorio, in DSP

Agreed, I miss splitters, and I miss tunnels.

e; it occurs to me that im supposed to just....build over things with elevation but I completely forgot I can do that

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Save it in tanks to make sulphuric acid later.
There’s that, but get this: you can burn refined oil as fuel in the power plant. :ughh:

I need to quit for the day.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
goddammit i just spent my refunded factorio money on everspace 2 and now this sphere game looks better for me

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There’s that, but get this: you can burn refined oil as fuel in the power plant. :ughh:

I need to quit for the day.

I... I didn't think of that. Of course you can. :negative:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

goddammit i just spent my refunded factorio money on everspace 2 and now this sphere game looks better for me

Did you log any hours in everspace 2/ any first impressions ?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Grevlek posted:

Did you log any hours in everspace 2/ any first impressions ?

Actually I really like Everspace 2, it certainly is much closer to the feel of Freelancer's "make numbers bigger and go gently caress around a galaxy" with more ticking off checkboxes and blowing poo poo up as the main focus. There's short puzzle sequences and exploration to mix up the pace, I don't find them overwhelming. The combat feel, I'm told, is very arcadey with all the abilities and status effects and damage numbers, but truth be told I'm not really looking for a hardcore space sim so I'm fine with it. I'll be keeping the game, more or less.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So... in DSP... don't fly to a gas giant unless you have enough fuel to power yourself back up or you will be stuck in the gravity well. Basically forever.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So... in DSP... don't fly to a gas giant unless you have enough fuel to power yourself back up or you will be stuck in the gravity well. Basically forever.

I just made my first trip to another planet, blew right past it because i didn't have the power to slowdown in time. i'm happy i didn't pick the gas giant.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i too, bought DSP after steam stopped throwing random errors.

it's pretty amazing. i automated red science, next thing i gotta automate loving everything since i'm still building everything i place down by hand. i plopped down 6 smelters to start making silicon, but now i gotta get to bed

Ciaphas posted:

Seems like the only difference between the two games in that regard is one has a separate UI for pocket crafts. which now that i think about it seems like a good idea, why does factorio always take up screenspace displaying that with your inventory anyway

i'd prefer it the factorio way, most of the time you actually open inventory you want to craft anyway since hotbar exists for pretty much everything else

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

But, in DSP can you make a train and then ride it? The best feature in Factorio over OpenTTD was riding the trains.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I see my seablock inserter tricks are coming in clutch. You can brute force the output of an iron mine into a box by using all 3 sorter slots on a given side.

This is a galaxy scoped game for galaxy brained players. you are tasked with consuming physical reality in order to make more virtual reality for the folks back home. It has been 45 minutes and I have clicked on trees, divided up my iron into either plate machines or magnet machines. Hooked everything up to a box to buffer until I can identify what is useful and what is not. I've huddled around the coal miner for warmth handcrafting the rest of the world while combing through the tech tree. I've got copper smelting somewhere but I haven't been on that continent for like 20 minutes so who knows.

Yes.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 22, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've launched first sails towards the sun for power. I can now go to bed knowing I've accomplished at least something.

Edit:

You can see your sails in orbit around the star and that is amazing.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have to appreciate the "You don't have enough resources" toot

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
DSP tip: inserter throughput is tied to the distance it travels so shorter trips are your friends. On a similar note, since the closest (it seems) you can place buildings and still direct link them is 2 tiles apart, you'll need 2 inserters on a direct link to equal a standard output to belt - input from belt pair.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 22, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Really love the aesthetics, sounds, and visual style. It's such a pleasing game to play, even though I'm learning it half drunk.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Picked up after reading the last few pages, and drat this is fun.

Also my poo poo is an unplanned mess. It'll be interesting to look at other planets I do later compared to this first one.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Had to share this last picture before bed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shaking my fist at the sun. I shall rule you some day!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got a couple hours in tonight and yeah this one might be the real deal, folks. Game's fun as hell so far, I just researched the ability to fly and it's like an even better way for me to wander around my base aimlessly watching the machines go brrrrr. I never played planetary annihilation so the planet stuff reminds me a lot of Spore. The basic mechanics of moving stuff around on belts are the same but the way the sorters work in this are neat and kinda fun to watch in motion.

I like the UI for the splitters too, how it shows the 3D model that you can rotate around to figure which direction to prioritize. I definitely had to pry myself away from this tonight :sweatdrop:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

explosivo posted:

Got a couple hours in tonight and yeah this one might be the real deal, folks. Game's fun as hell so far, I just researched the ability to fly and it's like an even better way for me to wander around my base aimlessly watching the machines go brrrrr. I never played planetary annihilation so the planet stuff reminds me a lot of Spore. The basic mechanics of moving stuff around on belts are the same but the way the sorters work in this are neat and kinda fun to watch in motion.

I like the UI for the splitters too, how it shows the 3D model that you can rotate around to figure which direction to prioritize. I definitely had to pry myself away from this tonight :sweatdrop:

Well, sounds like I'm getting two new space games today, since Galactic Civilizations is free on epic game store this week. Is it any good?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I managed to set up automated blue research in my first session in DSP. I've taken to it much faster than I did with Factorio; I assume it's the 3D nature letting you criss-cross conveyor belts without research, along with electricity being dead easy to setup and not needing constant coal supply right in the beginning.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

explosivo posted:

I bounced after about an hour but more because I'm kinda burnt out on factory stuff.

I have a sneaking feeling I'm gonna be going absolutely loving bonkers for this poo poo later when my mood swings around.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

kanonvandekempen posted:

Well, sounds like I'm getting two new space games today, since Galactic Civilizations is free on epic game store this week. Is it any good?

Caught that freeby. I own this on steam. I played like 100 hours of it because it was the thing that out before Endless Space 2 and Stellaris. It is of a distinct generation, but... I have no memory. Like none. It's kinda freaking me out. I have a vague recollection of the morality choices being neat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, I started playing 7(?) hours ago and, uh, I just realized that it's 2AM and I really ought to go to bed.

This is Factorio except that launching the satellites has a point.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yeah, I nearly made that mistake the first time.

I also spent like 5 minutes slowly turning myself around after flying to another (landable) planet, because I spent a bunch of my power accelerating, blew past the return planet without thinking, and had to wait for coal rods to slowly charge me back up as I creaked out turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
DSP: It's little things like this that make me adore it. No need for tedious underground belts like in factorio; just use the upper level splitter option and go over everything else. Or, like you can see in the background, just raise the belt level and then go back down.