Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Danknificent posted:

Murder House good
It's the first one of his that legitimately felt like something that could have been an official retail release on a 5th gen console, besides being a little short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lurker2006 posted:

really I think crimson heads were a crutch to deal with one of the core shortcoming of RE's design. The main dilemma presented by RE's gameplay, "should I shoot this zombie, should I risk running by?", is just kind of an illusion. Outside of trying to get a low time the path of least resistance is just methodically killing every zombie obstacle you come across. If it takes a couple more trips back to an item box? Oh well, they don't respawn and pistol ammo is effectively infinite.

It was probably more to do with changing the game up and surprising players too familiar with the original. It's a nice little surprise the first time it happens (my friend and I poo poo ourselves) and then it dawns on you that more of them are going to be getting back up; it's terrifying. It's cool on subsequent playthroughs you have to pick and choose which bodies to burn and such and if you even have the supplies and time to do so.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, they were pretty obviously supposed to be a surprise. They're not even all that much more threatening than regular zombies. Like, walkthroughs and guides will tell you that they're "much faster" than regular zombies, but what that doesn't really bring across is that "much faster" still only means a slow, steady jog. By the time you have a shotgun, a crimson head isn't legitimately threatening anymore if you know that they're coming.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have never conserved ammo or run past any enemies in any RE game and it has always been fine, though obviously I don’t really do the super hard mode runs. I will never not kill a zomb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I found the first hour of REmake to be frustratingly difficult but that’s because to get to the first save room you have to actively ignore the game’s instructions, at least as Jill. By the laboratory I exclusively used the magnum and still had ammo left over.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

This white day labyrinth school game is pretty cool so far. Janky but I like it.

Absolutely do not play it on any higher difficulties. The janitor(s) become a giant pain in the rear end, moreso than they already are.

Like, I really want to play the game again to see different endings and other ghosts and stuff, but every time I think about how frustrating it was to run away from those assholes, I change my mind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first guy is manageable. The second guy is relentless.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I returned White Day after maybe an hour because I wanted to see cool ghosts, not run from a buggy old man who sometimes saw me through walls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
White Day is pretty neat and atmospheric at times, but it can also be a massive pain to play. Lowest difficulty really helps that game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The janitors follow the rules it just happens that the rules say he can see light under doors and peep you through the smallest windows an entire map away which is realistic but totally unfun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Really digging the core concept of "what if you used Breakout as the mechanics for a horror game?" Looks pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTE7HEWgwG4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pope Guilty posted:

Really digging the core concept of "what if you used Breakout as the mechanics for a horror game?" Looks pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTE7HEWgwG4

Never heard of this til your post but Devilish is one of my favorite games ever and I like Paranoiascape a lot too so I am megahyped for this! :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81D8y0tspis

The second controllable paddle in Devilish seems redundant at first, but then after the first level you realize the game scrolls left and right instead or just straight up. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7BLmd8z8

The designs in this are courtesy of Joji "Screaming Mad George" Tani who did the excellent body horror effects in stuff movies like Society, Bride of Re-Animator, etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I skipped around in an RE8 demo vid, looks like a lovely outlast clone ): shame Crapcom removed combat from resident evil

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Only Joe Baker can save us now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Len posted:

I skipped around in an RE8 demo vid, looks like a lovely outlast clone ): shame Crapcom removed combat from resident evil

Wasn't the early demo for RE7 the same way? I think you could find a gun but there wasn't anything to use it on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Wasn't the early demo for RE7 the same way? I think you could find a gun but there wasn't anything to use it on.

:thejoke: is that ive been running that poo poo into the ground for years now

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Len posted:

:thejoke: is that ive been running that poo poo into the ground for years now

It might seem weird if you didn't read the re7 threads at the time but Len is right, the sheer amount of people losing their absolute poo poo over what was essentially a little playable trailer demo was insane. Like the boat joke in the ps4 thread still gets traction but no one likes to remember being a weird rear end in a top hat about the resident evil 7 demo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

No gun in the first demo which was a wholly scripted segment starring you, a camera man, and the sweaty crazy who jump scares you in the dark basement. Kind of like another video game about a camera man being jumped by sweaty crazies in a dark basement.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Never heard of this til your post but Devilish is one of my favorite games ever and I like Paranoiascape a lot too so I am megahyped for this! :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81D8y0tspis

The second controllable paddle in Devilish seems redundant at first, but then after the first level you realize the game scrolls left and right instead or just straight up. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7BLmd8z8

The designs in this are courtesy of Joji "Screaming Mad George" Tani who did the excellent body horror effects in stuff movies like Society, Bride of Re-Animator, etc.

Funny, I'd already played the LOCUST, USA demo but this is the first I've heard of these other games. ParanoiaScape looks exactly like a game playing in the background on Law & Order, and whatever is happening in it makes about as much sense as one of those pretend games you'd see in a show like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

No gun in the first demo which was a wholly scripted segment starring you, a camera man, and the sweaty crazy who jump scares you in the dark basement. Kind of like another video game about a camera man being jumped by sweaty crazies in a dark basement.

Because demos always have to reveal 100% of the games content?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Len posted:

Because demos always have to reveal 100% of the games content?

re3's demo certainly did

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah I just didn't get the in joke from four years ago

al-azad posted:

I must be thinking of the second demo that allowed you to go into the back hallways where Mia attacks you in the full game.

TBH if it is good design then I dont think i would hate a gun-less RE game. It did always feel like the Molded monsters were super out of place and just there to justify the presence of weapons, and the boss fights like the one with the mom were a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The demo for Yakuza 6 had the entire game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Imagine downloading the demo for Call of Duty 2021 and it's just 5 minutes of you mopping the floor and when asked what the shooting is going to be like in this series about shooting Activision is like "idk lol we're not discussing shooting but please ask about mops"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah I just didn't get the in joke from four years ago

I must be thinking of the second demo that allowed you to go into the back hallways where Mia attacks you in the full game.

TBH if it is good design then I dont think i would hate a gun-less RE game. It did always feel like the Molded monsters were super out of place and just there to justify the presence of weapons, and the boss fights like the one with the mom were a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Second demo had an unloaded gun. Third demo, a week before the game's release and like 6 months after the first demo, gave you bullets and an enemy so it actually represented the actual game.

If anything in RE7 feels out of place it's because it is. At RE7's GDC event explained the game was basically made piecemeal by multiple teams which explains why the game goes through like 8 different mood changes in so many hours.

You can see the initial concept for RE7 with characters that would appear in the final game in this little VR video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnpDN0QCZU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, people are talking a lot of bullshit about RE7. The game does not feel nearly that incoherent. It also has a lot of visual spook effects and sneaky hidey sections, so while the demo may not have represented a perfect statistical average of 100% of the entire overall game, it certainly presented the mood the game was supposed to have perfectly well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't seen anything indicating godzilla and kong are going to punch each other yet. Clearly the movie is going to be two hours of them having a diplomatic meeting

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm not knocking what RE7 became, I'm explaining why so much of the game's press release was muddy and opaque. It evolved from a VR demo, was developed in small segregated groups, and every interview was a discussion on the setting instead of how it actually played.

Compare this to Village where day 1 they established it's basically Resident Evil 4 with a merchant, currency, and everything.

e: Also remember when RE3 was supposed to be open world and contain fast travel according to the Official Xbox Magazine? And Capcom had to set the record that Nemesis was encountered in an area with a typewriter but could not break into safe rooms? Yeah man, Capcom has always had an optics issue and Village is them setting the record straight from the start.

Len posted:

I haven't seen anything indicating godzilla and kong are going to punch each other yet. Clearly the movie is going to be two hours of them having a diplomatic meeting

If the Kong trailer was made by Capcom it would be Bryan Cranston taking a poo poo with the Godzilla gyaoon faintly heard in the background.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 22, 2021

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The first 3/4 are honestly some of the most spooky, atmospheric good times I've had in a horror game.

Then the last quarter happens. Apparently I'm in the minority that really loved the last boss, though. If there was a mod that cut the boat I think you'd have a drat near perfect game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

And people would go "man they removed Godzilla from the movie entirely wtf crapcom"

And it would still be absurd and worthy of mocking 4 years later

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

And people would go "man they removed Godzilla from the movie entirely wtf crapcom"

And it would still be absurd and worthy of mocking 4 years later

No, they would go "why did you show Bryan Cranston taking a poo poo instead of Godzilla loving poo poo up" and that is worthy of mockery 4 years later and Capcom agreed by never doing that again.

e: The Godzilla comparison is actually completely on point because the 2014 trailer is like "here's 2 minutes of humans running around with Godzilla from the neck up for 3 seconds" and the King of the Monsters trailer is like "Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan FRONT AND CENTER WE KNOW WHY YOU'RE HERE"

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 22, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i want the large re8 vampire lady to step on my face

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You are a sad, sad Rhino indeed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i want the large re8 vampire lady to step on my face

Seems to be a common sentiment on the internet.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So anyone wanna take a stab at where the umbrella lab is hidden this time? :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
RE7 is easily my favorite Video Game of all time. Does the internet hate it now?

Fully torqued for RE8

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Seems to be a common sentiment on the internet.

I don't think that many people know Saddest Rhino

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

RE7 is easily my favorite Video Game of all time. Does the internet hate it now?

a lot of people were side-eyeing it for its outlast-looking aesthetic before release, then it actually came out and everyone went "oh that's quite nice actually," then RE2 Remake came out and kicked it off its throne as Best Recent Resident Evil Game

internet doesn't hate it, it's just not top banana

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Fully torqued for RE8

No, it's pretty well liked. And it should be, it's a well made game. Most people agree that the first half is better than the last half, but overall it's generally seen as a quality horror game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RE7 was an amazing survival horror game because it was good at keeping you barely floating on supplies, at least for the first half of it. Later on you can get magic psychic pills that let you harvest items easily, but besides that you always seem to have just slightly more than you need and also slightly less than what would make you comfortable. That trend has been carried forward a bit with more recent games, but at the time it was pretty refreshing, especially considering the action slant that the series had taken.

Plus, idk I liked the design of the house. It might be a bit annoying to have to play through flashbacks sometimes but it really sets up the feeling that these are actually traps (like the birthday puzzle and the handle in the fireplace) set out to gently caress you up, not just funhouse nonsense that is there just for content.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mindblast posted:

So anyone wanna take a stab at where the umbrella lab is hidden this time? :v:

If we're going by RE4 rules then it's inside the creepiest, ancient-est looking castle.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Fully torqued for RE8

Nah but RE7 was from a weird time in Capcom history where they were floundering in every major franchise except Monster Hunter. RE7 didn't meet sales expectations up front but proved to have a very long tail with strong support. Capcom was very transparent about its weird development cycle and completely turned it around with RE2 which reached RE7's lifetime sales in like 6 months.