Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Looking into it more I just looked at my monthly expenses in YNAB to calculate a month. Breaking it down it appears the more realistic timeframe is 2 1/2 months of expenses in the efund right now. A large chunk of YNAB expenses were for credit card debt and savings goals. So if I subtract that I am at 2 1/2 months of expenses without cutting any luxuries.

I'm just happy the credit card is paid off. I'll be able so save WAY more money now. By the time the baby is here we should be approaching a 5 month emergency fund at my projected savings rate.

Awesome. Not servicing debt is such a catalyst to savings. Just convert that into savings. Also good catch - you won't be doing the savings line item in an emergency. So no need to budget for putting that amount into your savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, weird day at work. I'm on "Team A" at work, and my boss said "Hey the guy who represented all of Team B just quit so you should consider being the new Team B guy"

I wasn't sure about it but he said to talk to the Big-Big-Boss who would explain why it was a good opportunity.

Must have been a miscommunication because the "talk" was a formal interview where he thought I'd be selling myself as a candidate, and I thought he'd be selling me on the job. Neither of us was prepared, neither of us had good answers for why this was a good job/I was a good candidate. I thought the job sounded like poo poo since it's more hours and less money, and I'm sure he thought I was a big chucklefuck who didn't even know what he was interviewing for.

I didn't want to burn bridges with a big cheese so I just politely thanked him for his time and said this did not seem like a good personal fit :psyduck:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, weird day at work. I'm on "Team A" at work, and my boss said "Hey the guy who represented all of Team B just quit so you should consider being the new Team B guy"

I wasn't sure about it but he said to talk to the Big-Big-Boss who would explain why it was a good opportunity.

Must have been a miscommunication because the "talk" was a formal interview where he thought I'd be selling myself as a candidate, and I thought he'd be selling me on the job. Neither of us was prepared, neither of us had good answers for why this was a good job/I was a good candidate. I thought the job sounded like poo poo since it's more hours and less money, and I'm sure he thought I was a big chucklefuck who didn't even know what he was interviewing for.

I didn't want to burn bridges with a big cheese so I just politely thanked him for his time and said this did not seem like a good personal fit :psyduck:
Lol at this story. Have to wonder what your boss was thinking -- if my boss recommended me for a role with more work and less money I'd think that guy is Very Bad for my career development.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Less money? For real?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quick question:

If I am maxing out my current employer "401k" contribution (50% of 6% match) and was considering that I could afford probably 10% (roughly an extra $50 deducted from my paycheck) should I put that in the "401k" (it's called a "matched asset plan") or should I put 4% into a Roth IRA?

I am not sure which is worth it. I was reading into it and if anything I expect my income to go down in the future, not up. (long story, but getting burned out in IT and would rather do a career shift rather go deeper into IT and spin out) I am 32 this year and didn't really start saving in a 401k until I was 28.

I have about 10k in my current MAP, and about 5k in my old company's 401k that the ex helped me move into what seems to be a Mutual Fund? or Brokerage? but I have no idea if this is worthwhile to keep, or just ask them to transfer it into my current business' MAP instead because it's only increased maybe 22% on its own in the last year ($900 increase)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 26, 2021

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im guessing I cant make transfers to my Ally savings account right now because they're getting hammered with all of this GME activity? Fun times!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im guessing I cant make transfers to my Ally savings account right now because they're getting hammered with all of this GME activity? Fun times!

I just made a transfer this week (sent Wednesday and it's in my account today) and didn't have any problems, so take that for what it's worth.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I am maxing out my current employer "401k" contribution (50% of 6% match) and was considering that I could afford probably 10% should I put that in the "401k" or Roth IRA?

Roth IRA. Much more flexible and portable with better fund choices and probably less expenses.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Everything seems to be working with the Ally savings and checking accounts for me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It is working for me now, but I couldn't access my Ally savings accounts this morning either.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I was finally able to later this afternoon as well. Always sad seeing that the savings rate is on it now....

At least my mortgage rate is low I guess!

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Anyone got any experience with leasing solar credits from your power company?

My local power board leases capacity at a local solar farm. I have a fixed cost of $50 a month. In warm months I get back $70-$90 worth of credits on my bill, and in colder months I only get maybe $30. Overall it’s a slight profit and encourages renewable energy.

I got a 1099-G for 2019, which seemed to be reporting-only as essentially a government-related credit. Sorry to be fuzzy; I don’t remember the details. However, it didn’t increase my taxable income.

For 2020 they’ve shifted to a 1099-MISC, which I presume will make the whole amount taxable. This is not the end of the world (a total of ~$780), as my primary motivation is to encourage the solar investment. However, I can’t help but feel like only the “profit” above my $600 leasing price should be taxed.

Does anyone else have a similar arrangement? If so, how is it taxed?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nuurd posted:

Anyone got any experience with leasing solar credits from your power company?

My local power board leases capacity at a local solar farm. I have a fixed cost of $50 a month. In warm months I get back $70-$90 worth of credits on my bill, and in colder months I only get maybe $30. Overall it’s a slight profit and encourages renewable energy.

I got a 1099-G for 2019, which seemed to be reporting-only as essentially a government-related credit. Sorry to be fuzzy; I don’t remember the details. However, it didn’t increase my taxable income.

For 2020 they’ve shifted to a 1099-MISC, which I presume will make the whole amount taxable. This is not the end of the world (a total of ~$780), as my primary motivation is to encourage the solar investment. However, I can’t help but feel like only the “profit” above my $600 leasing price should be taxed.

Does anyone else have a similar arrangement? If so, how is it taxed?

I have no idea what this is but if you have a basis cost you should be able to offset the income. Why do you get credits? You pay $600 for... Reasons? Then if they happen to generate more / sell it for more they pay you back?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I have no idea what this is but if you have a basis cost you should be able to offset the income. Why do you get credits? You pay $600 for... Reasons? Then if they happen to generate more / sell it for more they pay you back?

I phrased it badly. Leasing credits doesn’t make much sense — it’s leasing essentially a certain amount of capacity at a solar farm and getting bill credits for however much power is actually generated and sold into the grid.

It’s being treated as just miscellaneous income and I have no idea if that’s standard.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nuurd posted:

I phrased it badly. Leasing credits doesn’t make much sense — it’s leasing essentially a certain amount of capacity at a solar farm and getting bill credits for however much power is actually generated and sold into the grid.

It’s being treated as just miscellaneous income and I have no idea if that’s standard.

I don't know about the income aspect but you should definitely set your basis or something to only pay tax on the upside profit.

Interesting program - where do you live? How is rate determined for the actual generation? Heck if I could buy in to that I would. Seems like a no brainer.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know about the income aspect but you should definitely set your basis or something to only pay tax on the upside profit.

Interesting program - where do you live? How is rate determined for the actual generation? Heck if I could buy in to that I would. Seems like a no brainer.

I’m in northeastern TN. I don’t immediately remember how the rate is determined. I probably should know, but either forgot or never knew. I do remember that rate actually varies based a little on the terms of lease. I have essentially a month-to-month lease, but there’s the option of paying all up front for a 20-year (or similar term) lease which I think has a higher rate.

It’s a new program, maybe two years old. I’d double my lease if I could but they limit it per person for whatever reason. Just trying to get a handle on the taxation, and I guess they are too, given the change in form 2019 to 2020.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Nuurd posted:

I’m in northeastern TN. I don’t immediately remember how the rate is determined. I probably should know, but either forgot or never knew. I do remember that rate actually varies based a little on the terms of lease. I have essentially a month-to-month lease, but there’s the option of paying all up front for a 20-year (or similar term) lease which I think has a higher rate.

It’s a new program, maybe two years old. I’d double my lease if I could but they limit it per person for whatever reason. Just trying to get a handle on the taxation, and I guess they are too, given the change in form 2019 to 2020.

You might have better luck asking your question here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394641

Also it wasn't clear from your first post, but I wouldn't assume that income is non-taxable just because it came on a 1099-G. Income reported on a 1099-G can absolutely be taxable depending on the circumstances.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

incogneato posted:

You might have better luck asking your question here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394641

Also it wasn't clear from your first post, but I wouldn't assume that income is non-taxable just because it came on a 1099-G. Income reported on a 1099-G can absolutely be taxable depending on the circumstances.

Thanks for the link!

The 1099-G was for tax year 2019, so I reckon I’m getting towards the time that IRS would notify me if they viewed something amiss. I actually had originally assumed it *would* be taxable when filing last year, but something about my research at the time eventually led to a different conclusion when I filed. Don’t remember the details to be honest. I think the 1099-MISC is likely to be way less ambiguous.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nuurd posted:

Thanks for the link!

The 1099-G was for tax year 2019, so I reckon I’m getting towards the time that IRS would notify me if they viewed something amiss. I actually had originally assumed it *would* be taxable when filing last year, but something about my research at the time eventually led to a different conclusion when I filed. Don’t remember the details to be honest. I think the 1099-MISC is likely to be way less ambiguous.

Have no fear you have plenty of time to get a notice. :v: I got a 2018 one a month or two ago.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

weird question, but, anyone have experience in selling mineral rights (oil and gas)? I have family that has rights to some old tiny oil well in Oklahoma and they want to be rid of it just to not have to deal with the paperwork anymore.

googling this produces various results such as:
https://www.oklahomaminerals.com/sell-your-minerals
http://www.okmineralbuyers.com/
https://www.pheasantenergy.com/oklahoma-mineral-rights/
https://www.momentumminerals.com/oklahoma-royalties.html

but, it's hard to sell how scammy (or related!) those sites might be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Do they know any lawyers in OK? I'm kinda thinking this is one of those things that goes best with a little on the ground knowledge.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do they know any lawyers in OK? I'm kinda thinking this is one of those things that goes best with a little on the ground knowledge.

This is the way. Start with a local attorney who specializes in natural resources and go from there. They "cannot" have an undisclosed conflict of interest without risking their license if they get caught. I imagine this is the sort of thing where if there is any real money to be made selling it then they would take a % commission instead of hourly. They might also come up with something novel like leasing it to a company for 10 years or whatever, with them being contractually obligated to handle all paperwork and just cut you a check every year. Who knows.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah that's pretty much what I told them, talk to a lawyer. they wanted me to "check the internet" lol

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My wife and I are planning to move to Oregon in the next few months. We’re super open to where we’re moving (we both work remote and can keep working remote when we move) and it being that open is kinda frustrating because I don’t even know where to start with moving criteria other than rent, and we can afford most places.

I guess what makes the most sense is to look at where the job market seems to be, so you guys have any advice on that? I mean Portland is always busy but it’s also Portland and we’re trying to not be as close to a major city, I was looking at places closer to Eugene or smaller towns around it. How would you guys suggest i approach this?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

My wife and I are planning to move to Oregon in the next few months. We’re super open to where we’re moving (we both work remote and can keep working remote when we move) and it being that open is kinda frustrating because I don’t even know where to start with moving criteria other than rent, and we can afford most places.

I guess what makes the most sense is to look at where the job market seems to be, so you guys have any advice on that? I mean Portland is always busy but it’s also Portland and we’re trying to not be as close to a major city, I was looking at places closer to Eugene or smaller towns around it. How would you guys suggest i approach this?

One thing to consider is what amenities you want access to. Smaller towns are going to have less access to live entertainment, variety of restaurants, shopping, etc. Things like specialty grocery stores or access to CSAs/farm shares are going to vary by location too. Also how do you like to socialize? That would be something to keep in mind if you would be interested in expanding your social circle where you end up. Do you want to be able to get to things by bike/walking or do you not mind driving everywhere?

How you want to live is gonna be the deciding factor if you can afford to live anywhere

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I live SE of Portland mostly because of my wife's desires for location but I have been down to Corvallis quite a bit and really like it's public transport/walkability while also having a nice bit of food choices. Eugene is nice too although I haven't been there as much.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

I live SE of Portland mostly because of my wife's desires for location but I have been down to Corvallis quite a bit and really like it's public transport/walkability while also having a nice bit of food choices. Eugene is nice too although I haven't been there as much.

I made a big spreadsheet and using salary.com's Cost of Living charts (god I hope it's accurate) made a big list of potential cities to look at, comparing how close they are to major cities, average rent, cost of living, job availability, etc. Also factored in stuff that's available in the cities and general Oregon area.

Based on all that we're looking at Albany right now, it seems like it's got the right area, it's cheap compared to some other options, and it's close enough to both Eugene and Portland that either of us could find a job in either city and not be particularly put out. I'd love to be in a place where I can bike/walk to work but my wife and I both grew up in Orange County so we're no strangers to driving 20-50 minutes for work, so whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It sounds like you are fine under your current job situation but I wouldn't consider that location to be hedging bets using the Portland job market. I certainly am not singing up for a ~120+ mile commute in to Portland. I would be very put out by that, personally.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I walked around Albany and hit up some brewhouses I guess it was spring of 2019. If you end up finding a place there I think you'll like it - although I'll agree that the Albany to Portland drive would probably be a bit long of a commute at least for me personally (in the before times the longest I ever commuted was 45 min one way and that was for 12+ hour shifts only 3-4 days a week).

edit: but hey Salem is closer than Portland and maybe you could get a job in our state's fine capital

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Thumbtacks posted:

I'd be mindful to do some research for the part of Oregon you're moving to - most people assume Oregon is Portland or North NoCal, but there are some deeply chuddy parts of the state. It was originally founded a racist utopia, after all.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oregon is safe if you're within 10 miles of the Portland MSA or within actual city limits of Bend, Eugene, Albany, Salem, or Corvallis

Otherwise it's insane Trump 2020 people

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Could anyone point me in the right direction to ask questions about SARs (stock appreciation rights / phantom stock) from a private company?

I was issued some and don’t know how to exercise or how to determine the current unit values. Do I have the right to ask for the current unit price from a private company?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Could anyone point me in the right direction to ask questions about SARs (stock appreciation rights / phantom stock) from a private company?

I was issued some and don’t know how to exercise or how to determine the current unit values. Do I have the right to ask for the current unit price from a private company?

They should have a defined formula for the value. The private engineering firm I work for did with their stock. They calculated it once a year. We also got stock dividends at that time. You could really only sell if you left the company or we got bought. I was only there a couple years though so I am sure others have better answers and advice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The answer is probably. And sure ask here. Have you read your whole document? It sounds like an end run around just issuing ISO's like a normal company.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

H110Hawk posted:

The answer is probably. And sure ask here. Have you read your whole document? It sounds like an end run around just issuing ISO's like a normal company.

I have read the entire document, lol.

The units are defined as “class M units”. Does this have any significance?

The company must exercise its repurchase option prior to a sale. I’m assuming this means a payout only will happen in the event of a sale. Does that mean it is basically irrelevant what the units are worth now, and it’s basically a lotto ticket that only matters if the company is sold?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I have read the entire document, lol.

The units are defined as “class M units”. Does this have any significance?

The company must exercise its repurchase option prior to a sale. I’m assuming this means a payout only will happen in the event of a sale. Does that mean it is basically irrelevant what the units are worth now, and it’s basically a lotto ticket that only matters if the company is sold?

Exactly. If there is no way for you to liquidate them then it doesn't matter. You can ask for the company bylaws to see what that means, but they can call shares anything they want. Class Joe shares could have 100% of the voting rights and value in 1 share, and class M shares could be redeemable only for frogurts in the snack bar.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

That's good!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

H110Hawk posted:

Exactly. If there is no way for you to liquidate them then it doesn't matter. You can ask for the company bylaws to see what that means, but they can call shares anything they want. Class Joe shares could have 100% of the voting rights and value in 1 share, and class M shares could be redeemable only for frogurts in the snack bar.

Thank you!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Any suggestions for ways to track dual incomes if we're keeping our accounts separate? I know there's a lot of apps (like YNAB) that can track your bank accounts and stuff, are there any good ones where I can track two accounts at once? We're in the stage now (like I mentioned earlier) where we're starting to look into moving and renting a better place and stuff and being able to track where we're both at will be very helpful in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Any suggestions for ways to track dual incomes if we're keeping our accounts separate? I know there's a lot of apps (like YNAB) that can track your bank accounts and stuff, are there any good ones where I can track two accounts at once? We're in the stage now (like I mentioned earlier) where we're starting to look into moving and renting a better place and stuff and being able to track where we're both at will be very helpful in general.

YNAB can do separate budgets but if you're both contributing to household expenses that's going to be a pain in the rear end to track.