Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lol

2010: Lib Dem - What can I say, I got caught up in Cleggmania and I was a dumbass. But at the same time New Labour was nakedly terrible and I wasn't ever going to vote for them. (LOSS)
2011: I think I voted for AV? I can't even remember. Says a lot. (LOSS)
2014: Yes in Scottish independence ref (LOSS)
2015: Green - Miliband didn't exactly inspire much enthusiasm and the indyref made me want to go for a pro-indy party, Greens had a relatively strong showing in the constituency (and ScotGreens are way better than their English counterparts) - (LOSS)
2017: Green - Same constituency as before. Genuinely torn because I loved Corbs but the constituency was an SNP/Lab marginal so it didn't seem much of a big deal who won - SNP would always have held up a Labour govt if it was possible. Greens weren't polling terribly and Patrick Harvie was their candidate, who would absolutely have been the best MP of the lot. Kind of regret not going Labour, but eh, the Tories/Libs were never going to win (and didn't). - (STILL LOSS)
2019: Labour - gently caress it, Corbyn needed all the help he could get. Labour or bust. (BUST)

Solid 0% record so far!

Honestly, FPTP is such bullshit. 2014-2019 I was in the same constituency and it's so difficult to get enthused half the time especially when the two leading parties don't have much between them (in my case Labour/SNP, particularly when Labour is led by the right-wingers). I feel so bad for my parents in Tyneside who live in one of the single safest Labour seats in the country where the red team gets 50-70% of the votes consistently. They more or less don't have a vote in our 'democracy'. I sorely wish I lived in a Labour/Tory marginal, I think it would push me to get way more involved in campaigning than I am currently.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I turned 18 shortly before the '97 election, so I got to taste victory turned to ash, and then backed the losing side ever since.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

HopperUK posted:

what the gently caress there's no Ricicles any more? this loving world

I was just reading the shocking truth about Ricicles earlier...

https://www.cerealkillercafe.co.uk/blog-what-really-happened-to-ricicles/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Ministers could pay £500 to everyone with Covid in England

JFC, way to apply perverse incentives to means testing :stare:

quote:

The proposed change is thought necessary because government polling found only 17% of people with symptoms are coming forward to get a test, owing to fears that a positive result could stop people from working.

I mean sure but why not just guarantee their income for 10 days instead you idiots, you morons

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/BenJolly9/status/1352404543380795392?s=20

Lol.

You may at first think "Ah he's cherry-picked those" but if you look, literally every single person on the call with Keith looks massively unimpressed.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

Lol.

You may at first think "Ah he's cherry-picked those" but if you look, literally every single person on the call with Keith looks massively unimpressed.

All white on the knight

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Keir looks like a dog that's just been told he's going to the big park

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly, FPTP is such bullshit. 2014-2019 I was in the same constituency and it's so difficult to get enthused half the time especially when the two leading parties don't have much between them (in my case Labour/SNP, particularly when Labour is led by the right-wingers). I feel so bad for my parents in Tyneside who live in one of the single safest Labour seats in the country where the red team gets 50-70% of the votes consistently. They more or less don't have a vote in our 'democracy'. I sorely wish I lived in a Labour/Tory marginal, I think it would push me to get way more involved in campaigning than I am currently.

i remember being shocked when i first learnt that the uk used FPTP in 2015. my friend told me labour didn't want preferential voting because they thought they'd do better with FPTP in a referendum four years before millibrand got owned.

also reminded me of in 2016 when someone on these forums told me that black people didn't want preferential voting because they could extract greater concessions from a democratic party that was dependent on them due to FPTP about a month before TRUMP. i didn't have the heart to throw it in his face

...then again, despite having preferential voting we have a white nationalist christian fundamentalist as our PM so i guess it's me that's owned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Lol.

Keith looks very impressed with himself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DickEmery posted:

quote:

the only UK cereal to include a crunchy freeze-dried marshmallow
Were there not lucky charms in the UK? I'm certain I can remember that being a thing in the 80s or 90s.

Anyway reminder that the correct way to reduce sugar is to replace it with cyclamate and that's something the US got very wrong.

crepeface posted:

...then again, despite having preferential voting we have a white nationalist christian fundamentalist as our PM so i guess it's me that's owned.
There's no voting system that'll correct for a lovely media or a lovely electorate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

crispix posted:

That's surprising. I'm from Ards

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN MILLISLE HAD ALL THEM AMUSEMENTS AND GOOD ARCADES AND IT WAS THE BEST PLACE FOR WHEN YOUR GRANNY TOOK YOU FOR A DAY OUT AT THE SEASIDE

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

DickEmery posted:

We had a Noddy ricicles record and so would say 'Noddy, ring your bell!' at times of excitement.

We all like ricicles, they're twicicles as nicicles!

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

WhatEvil posted:

Kelloggs Start were absolute top tier cereal. They were marketed as a healthy cereal 'cause they were made with whole grain but they were coated in a sugary shell, but not so thick etc. as to make them too sickly sweet.

Sadly they discontinued them in 2018, which probably makes sense because nobody I ever mentioned them too had tried them.

I remember. You're not alone.

My wife's parents used to buy it. It was my Christmas cereal. Your description is perfect. Flavour was like wholegrain bread with sweet jam.

Nothing else stacks up.

Also, to the "£500 to anyone who tests positive", hmm where have I heard of something like that before...gosh I hope there isn't a loving NAMED NEGATIVE EFFECT about why this is a dreadful idea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect?wprov=sfla1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tax the cobra farms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

We had a Noddy ricicles record and so would say 'Noddy, ring your bell!' at times of excitement.

We all like ricicles, they're twicicles as nicicles!

I feel like I am having a stroke reading this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mourning Due posted:

Also, to the "£500 to anyone who tests positive", hmm where have I heard of something like that before...gosh I hope there isn't a loving NAMED NEGATIVE EFFECT about why this is a dreadful idea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect?wprov=sfla1

It hasn't even occurred to the government to just give people money like Trump's America did - they can't help but make any sort of payment conditional and degrading in some way. Even if doing so makes everything worse.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

stev posted:

It hasn't even occurred to the government to just give people money like Trump's America did - they can't help but make any sort of payment conditional and degrading in some way. Even if doing so makes everything worse.

That, and it accelerates the murderous push for herd immunity, which has never not been policy for a single minute since the pandemic started

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

WhatEvil posted:

Kelloggs Start were absolute top tier cereal. They were marketed as a healthy cereal 'cause they were made with whole grain but they were coated in a sugary shell, but not so thick etc. as to make them too sickly sweet.

Sadly they discontinued them in 2018, which probably makes sense because nobody I ever mentioned them too had tried them.

They were my cereal of choice as a young 'un when on holiday, which was the only time my parents would let me near the more obviously sweetened cereal varieties. Disagree on the not so thick as to make them too sickly: I remember 'em being pretty heavily coated. Still delicious though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN MILLISLE HAD ALL THEM AMUSEMENTS AND GOOD ARCADES AND IT WAS THE BEST PLACE FOR WHEN YOUR GRANNY TOOK YOU FOR A DAY OUT AT THE SEASIDE

YEAH THERE WAS THE PLACE WITH THE ICE CREAM IT WAS GOOD

WHY WE SHOUTING LOL

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcnSpd9qLOg

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Guavanaut posted:

There's no voting system that'll correct for a lovely media or a lovely electorate.

lol yeah, murdoch owns 2/3rds of our media

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
NI brexit anecdote: I went to Tesco yesterday evening and there was gently caress all fruit :manning:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The issue with the £500 for those with positive tests isn't that people are going to be rushing around to get that sweet sweet cash but that it won't prevent people who are ill but waiting for their test results back to still be under financial pressure to go to work.

It's a lovely individual attempt to solve the problem when a simple and effective method - increase sick pay and sick pay protections - exists but the government doesn't want to do it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Yeah the motivation is presumably that they want to get people spending

stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives... and get online and shop, shop, shop!!!!! :monocle:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Car insurance is due next month, I might go lick some door handles

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Shortly before the Patrician came to power there was a terrible plague of rats. The city council countered it by offering twenty pence for every rat tail.

This did, for a week or two, reduce the number of rats—and then people were suddenly queueing up with tails, the city treasury was being drained, and no one seemed to be doing much work. And there still seemed to be a lot of rats around.

Lord Vetinari had listened carefully while the problem was explained, and had solved the thing with one memorable phrase which said a lot about him, about the folly of bounty offers, and about the natural instinct of Ankh-Morporkians in any situation involving money: “Tax the rat farms.”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

The issue with the £500 for those with positive tests isn't that people are going to be rushing around to get that sweet sweet cash but that it won't prevent people who are ill but waiting for their test results back to still be under financial pressure to go to work.

It's a lovely individual attempt to solve the problem when a simple and effective method - increase sick pay and sick pay protections - exists but the government doesn't want to do it.

You're forgetting the best bit: it's a handout to the middle classes who get £500 and continue to work from home like they were doing anyway

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

£500 for positive tests is stupid.

Surely the rational market approach is for the government to offer to buy negative tests, thereby reducing the supply of positive tests? :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is stopping me from getting as many positive tests as possible and then cashing them all in for thousands of pounds?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OwlFancier posted:

What is stopping me from getting as many positive tests as possible and then cashing them all in for thousands of pounds?

You might die

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WhatEvil posted:

Kelloggs Start

His name is Keith Armrest you bully.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You might die

Die rich!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

15 person house parties are now an exciting gamble. Will you catch the cashvirus and win 500 smackeroos, or will the police bust down the door and fine you 800? If both happen you only net a loss of £300!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What we need to do is transfer the £800 to the person that files the report, so you can have both gain £500/£500, win/lose £800/-£300 or -£300/£800, or both get nothing.

This will form a productive society and not a bunch of cold war math psychos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

What we need to do is transfer the £800 to the person that files the report, so you can have both gain £500/£500, win/lose £800/-£300 or -£300/£800, or both get nothing.

Ah, the Priti dilemma

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Realists will simply dob everyone else in to the cops for immunity, thereby gaining £500 cold hard cash :smug:

but lose all their friends

which is a double win because Realists do not have any real friends

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Yea, I might well be totally wrong on this but I feel like there isn’t usually any incentive to get a test under a false name and so there’s not really a system in place to protect against it?

If somebody tests positive, they suddenly have an incentive to 1) get as many tests as possible under different names to try to claim the money, and 2) take tests on behalf of other people for a cut of the profits.

Will be interesting to see if positive tests shoot up while hospitalisations / deaths stay the same. Then presumably the government will end the scheme and use it as an example of “why handouts don’t work”

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can see a bunch of people who think this is 'just the flu' rushing out to catch it to get their £500.

That was my first thought when I saw the headline. No perverse incentives here, nosirree

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A couple of weeks of not smelling anything for the price of a PS5? I'm out there licking door handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

peanut- posted:

A couple of weeks of not smelling anything for the price of a PS5? I'm out there licking door handles.

If only it was possible to get a ps5 anywhere!