Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Communists ARE the scary crazies, but Duma is meaningless and they are kept on a leash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

woodenchicken posted:

Communists ARE the scary crazies, but Duma is meaningless and they are kept on a leash.

lol

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean doesn't taht describes the Russian Communist Party pretty well? They're basically just the party for old people who don't like foreigners or gay people and want higher pensions.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I mean doesn't taht describes the Russian Communist Party pretty well? They're basically just the party for old people who don't like foreigners or gay people and want higher pensions.

I mean if they were serious politicians with great ideas they'd attract support and, shortly afterwards, polonium laced tea.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/ivegottheflu/status/1351106154550718465

Oh god they brought a judge to a police station

Gotta love Russian justice system and all the independent branches of government

Such efficiency and expeditious carrying out of justice.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
They should have held the trial at the airport or in the police car, tsk tsk

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nenonen posted:

They should have held the trial at the airport or in the police car, tsk tsk

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

What are you talking about? CPRF is the second largest parliamentary party in Duma, and there is nothing more left than communism, okay?

One thing more depressing than the 20 year rule of Putin: the same faces of Zhirinovsky, Zyuganov and Yavlinsky on television for 25+ years :smith:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/vladimir-putin-is-not-scared-of-alexei-navalny-says-kremlin

quote:

Vladimir Putin is not scared of Alexei Navalny, a Kremlin spokesman has said, but Moscow authorities still appear likely to block Saturday’s planned protests in support of the jailed opposition leader.

Navalny “has no relation to the Russian president and can in no way be associated with the president”, said Dmitri Peskov, when asked whether Putin viewed Navalny as a rival.

“Various suggestions that someone is scared of someone else are absolute rubbish.”

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Today Navalny released a massive investigation into Putin's history of corrupt affairs and the huge mansion he built using his corrupt income. There's a two hour long video his team made on YouTube with English subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAnwilMncI

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
This has been known since years, though no one ever cared. Too many people in russia benefit from the current corruption, silently approving putin's game of civilisation or hearts of iron IRL (crimea, donbass, syria) while they ravage the country and its citizens. There is no prison sentence for that. I strongly believe that only public death sentences can do them justice much like China does. Strongly disapproving all of the china's other things like Uyghur genocide (literal concentration camps, in tyool 2020, seriously?) or totally invasive and dystopian-esque social system but death sentencing government officials is they only way to stabilize a country back to at least something that makes more sense. There always will be some degree of nepotism and corruption due to social and monetary disparity and years of traditions and mindsets but such immense corruption has to be prosecuted in most drastic way. To set an example.

ps
the amount of "he is the president, ofcourse he can(must) have such a palace" in russia is :v:

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 20, 2021

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1351563451240509443

I am Putin's DDR coach

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'm the "navalny used game screenshots and said they are photos" vatnik defence line

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

]
I am Putin's DDR coach

He just wants to go back to when he was a young man in a different country again.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Xerxes17 posted:

He just wants to go back to when he was a young man in a different country again.

madly shuffling to Auferstanden Aus Ruinen for 1.5x points

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I cannot help but laugh at the mold problem they had when they first built it and they had to do it over again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Budzilla posted:

I cannot help but laugh at the mold problem they had when they first built it and they had to do it over again.

It at least shows that mismanagement of various governmental projects in Russia is not completely intentional, as they mismanage their personal projects as well.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A little russia update:

Tomorrow, on 23, Navalny and his team is asking for a country-wide protests. Technically, protests are allowed in russia by constitution (lol) but by criminal laws only if its allowed by local administration and police by sending them a "protest application" (double lol) with all data about organisers, where the funds come from and amount of protestants. Ofc this wasn't done by his team (applications have to be sent at least a month prior - except the ones that are needed by local governments, lmao).
Agitation is directed towards 18-25 olds as they are the most active and conscious (still brave/ yet undamaged by harsh realities of the country where you can get your legs broken by police just by living near protest).
Kremlin internet bots are working non stop and trying to spin a narrative that Navalny agitates underage kids! in school groups!! to go to protest and it showed how much really people are for putin. Well, not for putin exactly but "lawful" - even if the laws state that you have to eat literal poo poo each day at local police station, these people will just queue up an evening before. This is disheartening. I estimate it's like 30% are getting what's happening, 10% are "gently caress off with politics from my $group the posted is shared in&", 30% are going 'navalny bad he agitates kids' and the rest are usual bots that go ham with shite like "navalny is a criminal that's why he got caught and he's trying to blame The President! for getting caught' or scaring people with all possible criminal charges for attending such protest.

Also russia is trying to ban tiktok, instagram, facebook and local social networks' videos' and posts about the upcoming protest, with bots again scaring people about consequences. Estimated people that know about the thing ~30 million.
The police is going ham after public people who post about the 23rd protest, issuing warrants against people for 'unlawful agitation' that they even arrested one of the weathermen that yesterday (21st) told more about weather on 23rd than on 22nd. Just think about it lmao.

Furthermore, they managed to prepare and pass a change to criminal law (in one loving day) about destroying state owned roads with addendum about 'obstructing' the flow of traffic with sentences of 3-5 years in prison on top of up to a million rub fines (~12000 euro or ~100 I was in disarray after the news tbh so my math didnt quite worked minimal monthly wages). Ofc they will charge Navalny and his team (one of his team, Lubov Sobol, is participating in upcoming elections to Duma) with all these things. Exactly how they charged Navalny with destruction of gardens that police charged through (thus destroying them) on previous, smaller, protests.

So general forecast for russia tomorrow is 'very cool' with possible lead rains. 30 million people ain't a joke.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 22, 2021

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It at least shows that mismanagement of various governmental projects in Russia is not completely intentional, as they mismanage their personal projects as well.
Well yeah. But its such an oversight and the fact that these contractors were working for what they would have known to be people near or even Putin I would have thought they would put in some effort not to gently caress up.

Also why is the palace built in the Caucasus'? I know the climate is good but the security situation has never been great there and it's not far from Crimea, I thought it would be somewhere a little less dangerous.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Erulisse posted:

A little russia update:

Good luck and stay safe if anyone from here is going. I know russian communities in most cities in Europe, Israel and the US are also organizing to gather near Russian embassies on the same day as a show of support

quote:

Also why is the palace built in the Caucasus'? I know the climate is good but the security situation has never been great there and it's not far from Crimea, I thought it would be somewhere a little less dangerous.

Krasnodar area is one of the few areas of Russia with a nice climate, the Black sea coast is kind of like the Russian Riviera where people go for holidays and to party, and the security is good there compared to the areas closer to the Caspian.
In any case as one pundit on the Echo of Moscow put it, you don't build gaudy unmaintanable poo poo like that for anyone to live in, you build it to show who is on the top of the food chain and owns all the money

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Somaen posted:

In any case as one pundit on the Echo of Moscow put it, you don't build gaudy unmaintanable poo poo like that for anyone to live in, you build it to show who is on the top of the food chain and owns all the money
I agree with that but I would hate to see the consequences of someone slipping some artillery piece and setting up 15KM away and reigning down shells while Putin and company are enjoying a hookah while a former gymnast is pole dancing. I know it sounds paranoid but the building of a holiday residence in a region that has been unstable in recent times despite all the cash thrown at it is not a smart idea.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Erulisse posted:

Also russia is trying to ban tiktok, instagram, facebook and local social networks' videos' and posts about the upcoming protest, with bots again scaring people about consequences. Estimated people that know about the thing ~30 million.

Russia requested removal of the videos that urge people to protest, and it looks like social platforms actually removed 30-50% of the requested content. Maybe they're removing actual calls for violence, which is fair enough, but it's a pretty high percentage.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

They are deleting any and all videos about tomorrow. Vk and tiktok are faster, fb and insta are way slower. Most of them are videos calling to protest unlawful incarceration and call to free Navalny. Have not seen a single one about violence, all I saw were different approaches about why's and how's this situation will affect russi's future and what will happen if people will not get out on streets.
Well, technically some of them mention the police violence against protestants and that these things will get only worse until everyone is silent.

ps
The 'third daughter' (liza krivonogih) of putin that is mentioned in The McCastle video subbed to navalny instagram and is complaining that he only talked about her for a minute. lol

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 22, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lots of people everywhere.
Ekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Ufa. Even in Abakan there are people. All of them are chanting "free navalny" and "free political prisoners".
Police silently drags people around in moscow, cherrypicking people from different ends of protest. No chanting in moscow but police megaphone about social distancing, masks and gloves on repeat every 10 seconds.
Police are closing off entrances to red square and kremlin.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1352930671581401092

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Moscow, Pushkinskaya - they shut down cellular and started to mass arrest people.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Twitter on pushkinskaya barely working

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1352554535290630144

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
It really is something to go to the RIA home page right now and see the article about mass arrests right above the one denouncing america's treatment of the capitol stormers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

lol that some people were seriously speculating that Trump would flee to Russia after his term ended, at this rate it will soon be more likely that Putin would seek asylum from America (not really, but the scale of these demonstrations is quite impressive)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That some wishful thinking, and you should keep that hope alive. But in reality, the number of people outside does not matter, unless police and military join their ranks. Remember Belarus?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Yup, revolutions need a break in the ruling coalition, otherwise, nothing/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah street protests don't work when the government has no limit on the amount of violence they're willing to bring. Nevertheless a big show of force.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hopefully it drives to the government the point that they really hosed up how they have been dealing with Navalny, though I fear they'll just double down. Btw. has anyone heard of Brown Moses lately?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Last posted yesterday

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Many Twitter links in imgur posts

http://imgur.com/gallery/yWjDiFG
http://imgur.com/gallery/I9eu3hA

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Deutsch Welle/Reuters says 40 thousand out in Moscow. Some beatings

https://mobile.twitter.com/SiberianMan/status/1352990846036176897

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1352975177764794370

https://twitter.com/mediazzzona/status/1352988822263492610

Somaen fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 23, 2021

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1352994980588085253

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1352975930143203329

:doh:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 23, 2021

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nenonen posted:

Hopefully it drives to the government the point that they really hosed up how they have been dealing with Navalny, though I fear they'll just double down. Btw. has anyone heard of Brown Moses lately?

I'm not dead yet, mostly watching endless videos from Jan 6th for a TV special we're working on.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1353018252088250369
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1353017986081189893

Protestors have headed to the prison where Navalny is held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bless their hearts