Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Get one off of the dead, self solving problem.

stev posted:

Ah, the Priti dilemma
aka the there's-not-enough-prisoners dilemma.

e: № 131 is apparently a 'cool' hotel in Cheltenham, which looks good if you like Georgian architecture communism bitch.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

stev posted:

15 person house parties are now an exciting gamble. Will you catch the cashvirus and win 500 smackeroos, or will the police bust down the door and fine you 800? If both happen you only net a loss of £300!

you need to factor in the price to repair or replace the broken door

also if you're non-white or look a bit vulnerable there's a good chance the police will give you a hiding for the sheer thrill of it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Yea, I might well be totally wrong on this but I feel like there isn’t usually any incentive to get a test under a false name and so there’s not really a system in place to protect against it?

If somebody tests positive, they suddenly have an incentive to 1) get as many tests as possible under different names to try to claim the money, and 2) take tests on behalf of other people for a cut of the profits.

Will be interesting to see if positive tests shoot up while hospitalisations / deaths stay the same. Then presumably the government will end the scheme and use it as an example of “why handouts don’t work”

I slightly suspect the £500 will be dished out via HMRC and using a false name will be, shall we say, "noticeable"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
This sucks I had it in March where's my £500

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stev posted:

15 person house parties are now an exciting gamble. Will you catch the cashvirus and win 500 smackeroos, or will the police bust down the door and fine you 800? If both happen you only net a loss of £300!

It's better than that. If only a third of the people at this 15 person party get COVID and they get raided, the "bounty" will pay off the fine for the party, replace the door and still give a nice profit.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You have to be in it to win it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I heard the poor people was getting their kids infected just to claim their covid benefits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We need a two covid limit per household.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I heard the poor people was getting their kids infected just to claim their covid benefits.

NORMAN

NORMAN THEY'RE GETTING OUR TAX MONEY FOR FREE, THEY'RE GOING TO SPEND IT ON ALCOHOL AND PLASMA TELEVISIONS, NORMAN

RING SOMEONE HIGH UP, NORMAN :mad:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You organize the party at the local hospital car park.
That way you cant be fined, and just wander in and out of the hospital you have a easier risk of getting it.
Just look out for the coughing people and sit beside them and start huffing.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
These are the brilliant ideas that come out of Whitehall when you name your emergency briefing room "COBRA"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The £800 fines are per head so you can't game the system that way. For that you need to have a gathering of 30 or more people which produces a £10,000 fine only for the organiser. If everyone gets Covid and the resulting payments are pooled that's £166 each after paying off the fine. It scales pretty quickly too, for a gathering of 100 it would work out at £400 each.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If only it was possible to get a ps5 anywhere!

This week Currys.co.uk got a shipment of PS5 's in. There was supposed to be ones sent to Currys.ie but from what I heard this didn't happen due to Brexit.

So much hatred towards everyone who voted for it.

In other Brexit news, goods to be burnt rather than returned.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-latest-eu-deal-boris-johnson-b1791103.html

I also saw another story this morning about a UK group that was to examine the EU trade deal being dismantled after they asked Jacob Reese Moggs for more time to do their job, but I can't find the link to it now.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I wonder what tests and caveats the government introduces to make sure only the "right" covid sufferers get the £500

Let me just do a couple of rails of angel dust to "get into character" as a DWP/HAAS ghoul

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

NORMAN

NORMAN THEY'RE GETTING OUR TAX MONEY FOR FREE, THEY'RE GOING TO SPEND IT ON ALCOHOL AND PLASMA TELEVISIONS, NORMAN

RING SOMEONE HIGH UP, NORMAN :mad:

In my head I can only hear Norman in a Welsh accent thanks to Fireman Sam. Norman's mam yelling at the little shite, an all time worst kid in TV.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Party Boat posted:

The £800 fines are per head so you can't game the system that way. For that you need to have a gathering of 30 or more people which produces a £10,000 fine only for the organiser. If everyone gets Covid and the resulting payments are pooled that's £166 each after paying off the fine. It scales pretty quickly too, for a gathering of 100 it would work out at £400 each.

So you're saying my wedding can go ahead?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Wachter posted:

I wonder what tests and caveats the government introduces to make sure only the "right" covid sufferers get the £500

Let me just do a couple of rails of angel dust to "get into character" as a DWP/HAAS ghoul

Need to provide evidence of employment. Otherwise government benefits are enough to live on already, right?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Party Boat posted:

That runs into two problems.

1) If there is an agreement it would then be open to the State to charge any and all participants with Conspiracy to Commit fraud charges. Which would have imprisonment and or fines that could be well above what profit you might earn.

2) Do you know how difficult it is to get people to voluntarily commit funds for something?
I remember what it was like years ago trying to get friends to provide deposits for booking rooms for weekend breaks/ stag weekends.
And that would be with 6-12 people.

Trying to get 30 or more people to all cough up £500 would be a nightmare.

Obviously the second problem is the biggest one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

This week Currys.co.uk got a shipment of PS5 's in. There was supposed to be ones sent to Currys.ie but from what I heard this didn't happen due to Brexit
Pictured: at it again

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Keeping all the PS5s is a legitimate Brexit dividend imo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wachter posted:

Covid disproportionately affects PoC and the poor, and (as long as immunity after infection holds) I'm willing to bet the profile of people being infected now skews a lot whiter and richer than it did 9 months ago.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

I hope old Joe puts up a bust of Martin McGuinness in his ovular office, there :newlol:

John Hume would be a better choice, a Nobel prize winning peace advocate and yet still republican enough to set off the DUP/Tories. :chaostrump:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If this is the reaction in the thread, you can imagine what the Daily Mail readership will have to say about it. The £500 ain't happening.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

If this is the reaction in the thread, you can imagine what the Daily Mail readership will have to say about it. The £500 ain't happening.

The Treasury already shat all over the idea, so yes it definitely won't be a thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Local tesco was poo poo out of oregano, no idea whether its just tesco being poo poo or if Brexit has legit buggered the supply lines for herbs and spices? Bland meals all round in any case, which is I guess fairly on brand for grey rainy fascist plague island. We're all going to be eating nothing but unseasoned plates of overcooked beef and veg boiled to mush like good EDL lads this time next year. Rule Britannia, chips now count as one of your five a day :britain:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

That runs into two problems.

1) If there is an agreement it would then be open to the State to charge any and all participants with Conspiracy to Commit fraud charges. Which would have imprisonment and or fines that could be well above what profit you might earn.

2) Do you know how difficult it is to get people to voluntarily commit funds for something?
I remember what it was like years ago trying to get friends to provide deposits for booking rooms for weekend breaks/ stag weekends.
And that would be with 6-12 people.

Trying to get 30 or more people to all cough up £500 would be a nightmare.

Obviously the second problem is the biggest one.
I’m going to disrupt the lockdown market by releasing an app to help people organise profitable covid parties

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Local tesco was poo poo out of oregano, no idea whether its just tesco being poo poo or if Brexit has legit buggered the supply lines for herbs and spices? Bland meals all round in any case, which is I guess fairly on brand for grey rainy fascist plague island. We're all going to be eating nothing but unseasoned plates of overcooked beef and veg boiled to mush like good EDL lads this time next year. Rule Britannia, chips now count as one of your five a day :britain:
Local butcher is out of many spices but has lots of fresh wild rabbit, for anyone hoping to go back to the 1950s (or 1650s).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It depends where you read 'ministers are considering.' Most of the hacks use it to mean 'a junior minister with absolutely no influence over anything floated it at a meeting, and one of my interns had to read the minutes while I had my big dinners.'

Then the Mail screeches about it like it's going to happen and it's a sign of our grate nashun going to hell in a handbasket, you couldn't make it up, put my foot through the tv and sent Jeremy Corbyn the bill etc.

Half the time these leaks come from idiots like Roberto Pesto who heard about a junior minister floating a policy and the policy looked at him.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ThomasPaine posted:

We're all going to be eating nothing but unseasoned plates of overcooked beef and veg boiled to mush like good EDL lads this time next year.

Just in time for burns night

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Domo arigato,

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Roberto Pesto

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Haggis is cracking tbf

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If anything says under seasoned it’s a haggis with a giant heap of mace and pepper in it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ThomasPaine posted:

Haggis is cracking tbf

This is true. Used to hate the neeps when i was a kid but i love them now

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It's a sign of the area where I live that whenever my local ASDA runs out of other fresh herbs (which they do quite often) they will always have coriander to replace it. Sometimes the herb section is literally just coriander. Good thing I like the stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The area:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When I last went out the herb supplies were dire and rotting but I havent been to the supermarket in ages coz my partner has us going full hermit for this 2nd wave.

Lots of people I know are catching it right now even masked up

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No herbs? Are there no greenhouses, are there no gardens?

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lots of people I know are catching it right now even masked up

Any idea of the mask type, simple cloth covering or P3/N95 respirator type?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
as a student can i still get £500 if i have to self isolate

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

keep punching joe posted:

No herbs? Are there no greenhouses, are there no gardens?

Any idea of the mask type, simple cloth covering or P3/N95 respirator type?

Not sure, I've been telling everyone to get n95s but I don't know what they're wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1352575872352583680

Gutted ShaneMcGowansTeeth. Better luck with the next shipment.