Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The last season sucked. It was 3 episodes and only the first one was any good

One of them was the most ham-fisted SOCIAL MEDIA BAD commentary I can possibly imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Intruder posted:

The one with the robot dogs was really good until the ending, when the twist made it just utterly ridiculous

lol, yeah, that went from "these robot dogs are a nightmare" to "oh this was dumb as hell" with that last shot

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Some meme described it as "What if technology, but too much" and that pretty much nails it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Some meme described it as "What if technology, but too much" and that pretty much nails it

For the most part the technology was just used as a set piece and it was just the same ol' human bullshit that was the problem. Except for Crocodile. As bad as the main character's actions were, the technology and the laws related to it were the real nightmare

e: And I guess Metalhead (the dog one) too

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I really liked the christmas episode / movie thing they did.

and season 1 was pretty great, season 2 was... less so, then fell off outside of San Junipero which was recommended to me a bunch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I thought season 2 was great. Be Right Back was heartwrenching, White Bear was maybe the best of the series, and The Waldo Moment... well, the other two were really good!

I liked the Star Trek one a lot until the end when it got dumb

The Entire History of You was BRUTAL

e: Anyway, I think I'm willing to believe literally anything this guy says

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1352436471337246723

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
My favorite Black Mirror episode is where the protagonist is the only one that sees discussions about anthology shows being hit or miss based on episodes as obvious and repetitive.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

oh Be Right Back was Season 2? okay, yeah, when we're working with 3 episodes this is tricky.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Waldo moment which eh, decent concept, but didn't really do anything with it. White Bear was pretty good, yeah.

Wait, so was the horror AI thing season 3 then? that's the last one I watched I think.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My favorite black mirror episode is the one where a couple dates for awhile then the girl one day grabs his ipod and realizes he was faking liking the music she liked and preferred listening to nothing but mumblecore and video game midis.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The most offensive was the one where Miley Cyrus performs first an upbeat pop version of then a straight cover of Head Like a Hole

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao Madison Cawthorn lied about competing for the Paralympic Games.

quote:

Cawthorn stated on the Christian inspirational podcast The Heal, “I had an opportunity for the Paralympics for track and field.” He did not have that opportunity, nor does it appear he took any meaningful steps that would have led him there.

“You have to be involved in a team, usually your college or a local club. And then from there, you establish times at qualifying races, and then from there you get scouted.” Patrick Henry College, which Cawthorn attended for a semester before dropping out, doesn’t have a disabled sports program.

In addition to not being on a team, Cawthorn does not appear to have competed in any qualifying races. Robert Kozarek, a former elite wheelchair marathoner, said he would have met Cawthorn at some point if he had been serious competition. Kozarek himself never qualified for the Paralympic Games. “The community itself is small. There’s probably 50 [elite wheelchair racers] in the entire country, and we see each other four, five, six times a year, at least.”

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 22, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao Madison Cawthorne lied about competing for the Paralympic Games.

"nor does it appear he took any meaningful steps" was this intentional?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

"nor does it appear he took any meaningful steps" was this intentional?

:vince:

doesn't shock me.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

LeeMajors posted:

that episode was so depressing to me that it put me off the whole series

This could describe any episode of Black Mirror for a given individual.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Black Mirror gets a lot of snark for being “what if technology, but bad”.... but yeah that’s the point.

Exploring those themes through exaggerated conclusions is useful for reflecting the (sometimes) mild yet sinister ways they can influence society now. Again, that’s the point.

My biggest issue is that a lot of the episodes feel the need to go for a big concluding twist ending, even though a human-scale ending which reflects upon the episode could still provide a satisfying emotional climax.

I have two masters and three PhDs in various literature studies and would you like fries with that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife would binge Black Mirror like three episodes at a time, I would watch one episode and need to go outside and/or lie down. She's never been one for themes and metaphors in entertainment.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Intruder posted:

The Entire History of You was BRUTAL

Yeah, this one is probably my favorite (with the Christmas episode being up there as well)

There honestly weren't many though season 3 that I can say I really *hated* (mediocre ones like the Bryce Dallas Howard one, sure)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
RIP Hammering Hank. He's pissing off racists in heaven now.

https://twitter.com/cbs46/status/1352636966882463744?s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

RIP Hammerin' Hank

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drat, losing Hank is a tough one.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the baseball hall of famers are like dying by the week

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Geeez :smith: RIP to an absolute legend.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aw Hank no.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

The most offensive was the one where Miley Cyrus performs first an upbeat pop version of then a straight cover of Head Like a Hole

The fact Nine Inch Nails seems to be in on the joke makes it even weirder.

Then again they jumped on the Marvel bandwagon when Carol Danvers was wearing a NIN shirt in Captain Marvel sooooo

Eh, Trent Reznor now has kids to feed.

EDIT: :rip: Aaron, a baseball legend. :911:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Let Hank's greatest contribution be detouring the chat thread from Black Mirror good or bad discussion.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
RIP hammerin hank :(

And I couldn't take black mirror seriously after the "wut if ur mum was a cell phone" riffs

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on TVs? I haven't had to buy one in years and the one I have in my living room looks like it's on it's last leg.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Rip to a real one

Also,
https://mobile.twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1352626409655705602

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Joey Freshwater posted:

Any recommendations on TVs? I haven't had to buy one in years and the one I have in my living room looks like it's on it's last leg.

How much do you use your tv and what do you use it for? I picked up a 55" LG CX Oled and I wish I had the money to make every tv in my house an Oled. But I play a lot of games so I wanted to take advantage of the new xbox. Plus I was able to get it on sale during the holidays.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

What’s the penalty for this kind of thing, can I just start blasting out these to every judge in America in the hopes one is too senile to notice? Sure I won’t get away with it, but it’s a court order I’d treasure forever

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm not the one to answer the question but I would say you should probably mention what your price range is

This is what I'm probably going to buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6423898.p?skuId=6423898

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Joey Freshwater posted:

+1 for LG OLED if you're planning to spend >$1k on it. We also got the 55 inch CX a few months ago, and I still get wide-eyed about how good things using 4k and HDR look on it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SundayMoney posted:

How much do you use your tv and what do you use it for? I picked up a 55" LG CX Oled and I wish I had the money to make every tv in my house an Oled. But I play a lot of games so I wanted to take advantage of the new xbox. Plus I was able to get it on sale during the holidays.

Every day or mostly every day. Use it for TV and games. I have a 55' 4K Vizio LCD right now, would love to get an LED - I'll check that one out

Intruder posted:

I'm not the one to answer the question but I would say you should probably mention what your price range is

This is what I'm probably going to buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6423898.p?skuId=6423898

I was thinking less than $1k so that's a steal, though probably a little bigger than I need. My 55" in perfect in my living room, but I am moving soon so maybe it won't matter. I'll be buying a house in the next year too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Make sure you get one that can display your fish pic in the highest possible quality

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hi there VP. I just went through like 6 interviews only for them to pull the job rec on us. Plz hire.

That loving sucks dude I'm sorry

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Make sure you get one that can display your fish pic in the highest possible quality

I was SO happy to find out that I could change the screensaver pics on my AppleTV to something I wanted

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What are we supposed to do if we have a bunch of old consoles that we want connected at the same time? Modern TVs have like 3 inputs. My current TV has an Xbox One, Chromecast, N64, Wii, Switch, PS2, SteamLink, HDMI from a laptop for Zoom...

Seems like most receivers available today are purely HDMI.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
TV Report:

The Wilds - Prime
This show is awful. Got through two episodes before I gave up. It's like, what if you combined Lost with Lord of the Flies, but instead of boys it's teen girls. The premise is these girls are "stranded" on an island and have to survive. But instead of doing useful things they pretty much spend their entire time fighting and being mean to each other for no particularly good reason, while each episode flashes back to one of the girl's back story. Frankly there are hardly any likeable characters. They all behave so awful and cooperate so poorly it just makes for frustrating watching. Just a string of characters making stupid decisions for ... reasons????

Undone - Prime
This show is awesome. There's only one season of it right now, but it really doesn't even need another one. The entire show is animated, rotoscope style and is very trippy to watch. The setup is a woman discovers she can time travel... or she's experiencing mental illness, which runs in her family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uWCNHQgfnc

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I started watching Money Heist the other day and it's been very fun

Also, my neck is loving killing me today :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, my neck is loving killing me today :(

You committed a cardinal sin for someone in their thirties: not sleeping in the absolutely perfect, unmoving position.