Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TACD posted:

tory_manifesto.txt

its sorta british_ruling_+_chattering_classes.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

bessantj posted:

I'm glad your mum has had the jab. My mum is high risk, nearly 80 and has diabetes. She's getting a new fridge freezer Wednesday and was worried about letting the men in to install it for her.

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm just glad for purely selfish reasons. I hope your mum gets hers soon.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering what kind of idiot sends a metric ton of coke into Europe via a UK port in 2021.

Someone with access to a lot of coke.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm just glad for purely selfish reasons. I hope your mum gets hers soon.

I have no problem with your mum getting the jab, it was only going to hang round anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

I have no problem with your mum getting the jab, it was only going to hang round anyway.

Calling someone's mum "it" is a bit rude imo

Anyway, this seems good.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1352558431610302464?s=19

No wait, the other thing - un-good

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

When I last went out the herb supplies were dire and rotting but I havent been to the supermarket in ages coz my partner has us going full hermit for this 2nd wave.

Lots of people I know are catching it right now even masked up

The masking up doesn’t stop one from catching it - it makes one less contagious if infected. It would have been more fitting if you’d said that lots of people are catching it despite others being masked up.
Also haven’t been to a supermarket. I’m pretty nervous and my wife is on high-anxiety status.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

My mum got hers the other day because she works in an NHS office (from home atm too) because the guys responsible for doling out the vaccines had a bunch of leftover doses somehow and ended up just putting an email out to all staff saying 'come get one if you want one by close today, first come first served', which isn't exactly a level of logistical coordination that fills me with confidence.

My wife just completed a day's volunteering at the same place where I'll be stabbing people (once i've had my Hep B jab because apparently that's a requirement) and she reports that a lot of people simply didn't turn up to their appointments.

So they've cracked open a case of defrosted vaccine and have spares - better to vaccinate anyone they can grab rather than throw them in the bin.

For the most part the missed appointments have been filled by people turning up without an appointment because some GPs don't have a clue and just send them their way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

Also haven’t been to a supermarket. I’m pretty nervous and my wife is on high-anxiety status.
If you have a car then do a click and collect order

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Anyway, this seems good.

There's no way Brexiters will interpret these negative consequences as anything other than "the EU is punishing us".

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My wife just completed a day's volunteering at the same place where I'll be stabbing people (once i've had my Hep B jab because apparently that's a requirement) and she reports that a lot of people simply didn't turn up to their appointments.

So they've cracked open a case of defrosted vaccine and have spares - better to vaccinate anyone they can grab rather than throw them in the bin.

For the most part the missed appointments have been filled by people turning up without an appointment because some GPs don't have a clue and just send them their way.

That does make sense. It's only the Pfizer one that this will be an issue with I assume, as the others can be stored at much warmer temp?

I've just now seen someone on Twitter very mad because where they are in the US, being a fully privatised health system, those unused spares are just being tossed in the bin rather than given out for free :capitalism:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

therattle posted:

The masking up doesn’t stop one from catching it - it makes one less contagious if infected. It would have been more fitting if you’d said that lots of people are catching it despite others being masked up.

Nah a proper mask does both im pretty certain. And I'm fairly certain (which is less than pretty obvs) that a basic mask does the same.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TACD posted:

If you have a car then do a click and collect order

Thanks. I did quite a few in lockdown 1 but am now getting good at snagging delivery slots. I supplement that with roughly weekly trips to a small local shop.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Anyway, this seems good.

https://twitter.com/GaspardWinckler/status/1352643625189068801
lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh my God. This is a level beyond Schadenfreude, Brexenfreude?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

therattle posted:

Well ok dude, but I'm gonna stick to masking up like Darth Vader when I leave the house, because something that can filter 95% of particles out of the air has to be better than cloth (or nothing).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

Nah a proper mask does both im pretty certain. And I'm fairly certain (which is less than pretty obvs) that a basic mask does the same.

That’s not my understanding. Maybe the research has moved on from this:

quote:

The research largely suggests face masks won’t necessarily stop you catching Covid-19 but will lessen the chance of you passing it on if you are asymptomatically carrying and unaware of this

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/face-masks-coverings-coronavirus-do-they-work-shops-transport-a9617666.html

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's that 3-panel 'stick in the bicycle spokes' cartoon except the stick goes straight up his arse

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

That’s not my understanding. Maybe the research has moved on from this:
It hasn't been proved for coronaviruses the same as it has for influenza but there's some thoughts around the idea that it might reduce your initial infective dose and therefore severity of disease, even if it doesn't fully stop you catching it, so even if it is mostly about preventing onward transmission it'd be interesting to see if that holds any water.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Masks don't provide a huge amount of protection to the wearer (especially the low grade cloth ones), but they do provide a little. Any barrier between your face and potential droplets will have some impact. It's true that they're mostly good for making sure your disgusting germs stay on your own face though.

One of the reasons I get so blisteringly mad at antimaskers. You're not taking a brave stand against fear and nobly putting yourself at risk because freedom lads, you're just telling everyone around you that you couldn't give a gently caress about their welfare.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting that it was in a load of bananas, I always wondered if them and oranges, which are shipped in a protective atmosphere and so are really expensive to open up and inspect, were common ways of getting stuff through customs.

It may be to fool sniffer dogs. Stephen King, who by his own admission has a great deal of first nostril experience with cocaine, says the really good stuff leaves a banana scent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Masks don't provide a huge amount of protection to the wearer (especially the low grade cloth ones), but they do provide a little. Any barrier between your face and potential droplets will have some impact. It's true that they're mostly good for making sure your disgusting germs stay on your own face though.

One of the reasons I get so blisteringly mad at antimaskers. You're not taking a brave stand against fear and nobly putting yourself at risk because freedom lads, you're just telling everyone around you that you couldn't give a gently caress about their welfare.

Agreed with all of this (strongly!). I wear a mask partly in the belief that it must be providing at least some protection - but it’s mostly about protecting others. Antimaskers incense me for the same reason. They may as well wear a t-shirt that says “stupid and selfish”

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brb going to sell stephen king a dib dab with isoamyl acetate mixed in for £500

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

IIRC there was a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine a few months ago that indicated mask wearing had a positive effect in that it lowered the initial viral load exposure and resulted in a higher chance of a milder or asymptomatic case, but I dunno if that's been proven/superseded

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

It's that 3-panel 'stick in the bicycle spokes' cartoon except the stick goes straight up his arse

OwlFancier posted:

That should be a thing already if it isn't (not paying £500 for it tho).

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Failed Imagineer posted:

Here, have the freude straight into your eye and earballs, it's Ian Perkes himself coming to the terms with the fact that he done hosed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aB8C4cbBno

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

My mum got hers the other day because she works in an NHS office (from home atm too) because the guys responsible for doling out the vaccines had a bunch of leftover doses somehow and ended up just putting an email out to all staff saying 'come get one if you want one by close today, first come first served', which isn't exactly a level of logistical coordination that fills me with confidence.

Some of this is because the doses given to NHS orgs for vaccinating NHS staff are one a "use it or lose it basis" and they must report VERY high uses of their doses (with no exceptions or excuses) or the org will be moved down the list for getting more doses of the vaccine due to "wasting valuable resources". And due to people not turning up, being sick (covid or not) or use the process of turning the vials into jabs means you sometimes have extra and you so that means you MUST use them, which leads to emails like the above.

My Trust has stared rolling it out to all staff - they've done frontline staff (this includes people like cleaners and porters working in high risk areas) and staff with health issues that mean they're at risk. So it has been prioritised, but now they have more doses and so are going down the list of everyone, even WFH admin folks like myself.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The research they're quoting from doesn't say anywhere that a mask doesn't protect you from getting it. They don't investigate that one way or the other.

The British press don't understand anything but seem to be trying to square the circle of PHE and the WHO loving up and saying masks were dangerous for the start of the outbreak, with what we now know about masks.
So they seem to be going for "they were right they don't protect you but they were wrong they do protect others" but that's just the indies own logical leap.

I just don't see a mechanism by which a mask blocks an infective dose of covid at range on the way out but not the way in. Unless someone's sneezing directly into your mouth.

But science is unintuitive at times I just want an explanation before I'm convinced.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

He almost certainly already invented this circa 1988

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

That should be a thing already if it isn't (not paying £500 for it tho).

:lmao:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I've just now seen someone on Twitter very mad because where they are in the US, being a fully privatised health system, those unused spares are just being tossed in the bin rather than given out for free :capitalism:
ITS THE BINS AGAIN NORMAN, EVEN THE BINS ARE BEING VACCINATED BEFORE US

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Here, have the freude straight into your eye and earballs, it's Ian Perkes himself coming to the terms with the fact that he done hosed up:

weird, this version is missing the end - luckily someone uploaded the second part here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9RAZxNdCk8

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

gf's dad got vaccinated today, he commented that it was strange that he got one before her (older) mum, they said he should have brought her along & they could have given her a jab there & then

possibly useful information for anyone who's got any elderlies still waiting for their jab

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Britin continues to innovate, not just more transmissible but more deadly too :toot:

https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1352663766136205312

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think this is a situation where it seems more deadly because there's literaly ten thousand times more cases than last time, and when countries start blockading us again they'll have to reveal they were fibbing a bit to spook people into lockdowning harder.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Szmitten posted:

I think this is a situation where it seems more deadly because there's literaly ten thousand times more cases than last time, and when countries start blockading us again they'll have to reveal they were fibbing a bit to spook people into lockdowning harder.

Not a doctor but will hazard a layman opinion that higher transmissibility leads to more virus floating around indoor spaces, causing higher viral loads in infected people, causing worse outcomes for infected.

Wear masks open windows.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The DPRK posted:

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1352575872352583680

Gutted ShaneMcGowansTeeth. Better luck with the next shipment.

The war against the Decepticons must be going really badly if the Autobots are turning to selling Coke to raise funding.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Loonytoad Quack posted:

"Oh I did it for my children and my childrens children."

What a weak loving excuse. You know who wanted to remain? Young people, maybe you should have listened to your children and your children's children and respected what they wanted.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Question IRL posted:

The war against the Decepticons must be going really badly if the Autobots are turning to selling Coke to raise funding.

"what, this officer? No, it's, uh Energon"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

"what, this officer? No, it's, uh Energon"

Amazing that nobody's ever pressed pills to look like tiny Energon cubes - imagine how powerful coming up off that would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hooman posted:

"Oh I did it for my children and my childrens children."

What a weak loving excuse. You know who wanted to remain? Young people, maybe you should have listened to your children and your children's children and respected what they wanted.

This is what my partner's grandad did and I have a lot of respect for it. He said he wanted to leave based on his personal preferences/upbringing but knew it would only affect the last years of his life, so he asked his grandkids what they thought would be better for them and voted remain.