Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nonsense posted:

that sounds like something pretty bad is about to happen

yeah that’s “time to start lining up another apartment”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

human garbage bag posted:

What will eventually cause bitcoin to fail for good is when a serious terrorist attack gets funded by bitcoin. At that point the US govt will authorize the NSA and the DOE to combine their computing power to do a 51% attack against the ledger, destroying it, along with any confidence people have in bitcoin and crypto currencies in general.

Lol honestly I never even considered what the government would be capable of if they used the NSA AND DoE computers for an attack like that. Would be instantly hilarious.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nonsense posted:

that sounds like something pretty bad is about to happen

I have more than enough money saved to move. My Landlord is actually the sister of the owner of the house. She’s been chill for the two years we have lived here, but she certainly isn’t wealthy.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Covid collects another worthy soul, maybe?

Maybe!

Rutibex posted:

you're the landlord now

:getin:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

a 51% attack against the ledger

What's that?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
bitchcoin

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tubgoat posted:

What's that?

if you control 51% of the processing power or something in Bitcoin you can force the blockchain to accept changes or something?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i will never not poo poo on a speculative virtual asset based on turning electricity into waste heat on a warming planet

Bitcoin by itself has completely negated the work towards renewables we've made in the past six years lmaooo

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

What's that?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/51-attack.asp

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sure the NSA have a quantum computer they have been using to defeat all encryption for the last 5 years. buttcoins can be destroyed at any time they choose

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you control 51% of the processing power or something in Bitcoin you can force the blockchain to accept changes or something?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rutibex posted:

i'm sure the NSA have a quantum computer they have been using to defeat all encryption for the last 5 years. buttcoins can be destroyed at any time they choose
This is my general impression, we've been hearing about them for how long now? And military tech is always 10-30 years ahead of consumer tech.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

If they don't now they will within the next year or two. There is a lot of money being dumped into more research on them right now.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The US completely annihilating bitcoin would be the funniest thing ever. Like, "everyone in the Biden administration simultaneously falling down the Air Force One stairs and dying" funny.

Even in a world where that happened, the news couldn't even report it live because absolutely no one would be able to keep a straight face. Any anchorperson not in hysterics would think it was made up.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

No, if they did they wouldn't allow the US military and other critical systems to communicate with TLS, because if the NSA can crack TLS then there's no reason China or Iran couldn't crack it at some point too.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

No, if they did they wouldn't allow the US military and other critical systems to communicate with TLS, because if the NSA can crack TLS then there's no reason China or Iran couldn't crack it at some point too.

you assume the nsa doesn’t spy on the military?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1352656112680632322

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GME squeezing. Once again goons refused to enter the start of a speculative bubble

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gio posted:

wrap it up, dooms-dailures. your prophet likes profit.

https://twitter.com/northmantrader/status/1352330282687467521?s=21

aaaah, that explains to me why he has a lot of good takes for a someone in finance: Sven is a Schumpeterian

so I am going to ramble for a bit just because: "Creative destruction" is their thing and they have an interesting idea there, of a state capitalist action in seizing excess capital in what would be basically "micro-crises", because they are in agreement with Marx on capital being responsible for crises of its own making and self-destructing, but while a way to make a post-market economy into reality doesn't come along (ah, the reaction point of the social-democrat), better to harness capital instead

the micro-crises would be akin to a small, controlled fire in a proper and ideal spot for agriculture than the loving berserk wildfire that ruins everything and does immense secondary harmful effects of a major structural crisis. If NUMBER goes up in a freakish way, there goes the state to cap it down and make investors go mad but doesn't spread to the general economy

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

PawParole posted:

they don't need to crack any ciphers for US military or law enforcement stuff, the NSA are the ones that supply the cryptographic keys.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tubgoat posted:

The US completely annihilating bitcoin would be the funniest thing ever. Like, "everyone in the Biden administration simultaneously falling down the Air Force One stairs and dying" funny.

Even in a world where that happened, the news couldn't even report it live because absolutely no one would be able to keep a straight face. Any anchorperson not in hysterics would think it was made up.
It would give Jim Cramer a massive heart attack on live television, but would it be the silver bullet to put him down for good? :thunk:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Father Wendigo posted:

It would give Jim Cramer a massive heart attack on live television, but would it be the silver bullet to put him down for good? :thunk:
If he's lucky.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

GME squeezing. Once again goons refused to enter the start of a speculative bubble

I will never invest

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

I assume the NSA doesn't want foreign governments spying on the military.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I assume the NSA doesn't want foreign governments spying on the military.

the NSA does want foreign governments spying on specially curated military disinformation :tinfoil:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

the NSA does want foreign governments spying on specially curated military disinformation :tinfoil:

Actually, yeah, that's 100% correct. Think WarCraft III. You start out harassing with Blademaster and like 4 Grunts, maybe crank out 2 more Grunts and upgrade armor so it looks like you're going melee. But the whole time you're teching your rear end off to Wind Riders. So your opponent meets your anemic ground force with a superior ground force only to find a column of air units.

Of course, the goal of that strategy is to destroy your enemy, not enslave every living thing that isn't currently being ground into paste.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

If he's lucky.
If he survived he'd be relegated to screaming about Iraqi dinars and algorithmically generated gig apps on Fox Business. I couldn't have that on my conscience, that's a fate worse than death.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy poo poo gme

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Landlady finally got back to me really quick after I told her I won’t pay rent! She said she switched cell providers and forgot about Zelle. Now the daily limit I can send her is $500 and rent is $2275 lmao.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Landlady finally got back to me really quick after I told her I won’t pay rent! She said she switched cell providers and forgot about Zelle. Now the daily limit I can send her is $500 and rent is $2275 lmao.

Lmao, naturally. What were those values before?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

Lmao, naturally. What were those values before?

I was able to send her the full amount every month for the last two years without issue. She said “just send me the $500 a day until I get this sorted out.”

FUN FACT: When I first moved in I had just moved from Michigan and had yet to get a bank in SoCal and my credit union in Michigan didn’t work with Zelle. I got a bank with California Bank and Trust which at the time I didn’t know had a daily cap of some number less than $1,000 on Zelle and my landlord straight up refused to take multiple payments. But when it’s HER issue it’s no problem!

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Jan 22, 2021

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

holy poo poo gme

they loving halted trading lmaooooooo

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
lmao wtf is going on with gamestop

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the DOW is not soaring wtf

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lmao wtf is going on with gamestop

There's a short squeeze incoming on it, this may be that or it may be speculative

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

holy poo poo gme

Up 69% :mmmhmm:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gamestop!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
my tech coworkers put money into gamestop. and then there was a circuit breaker? i guess they made money? one put a significant amount of savings. he'll probs be fine because he's white but its wild how many of my coworkers like to gamble

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I was able to send her the full amount every month for the last two years without issue. She said “just send me the $500 a day until I get this sorted out.”

FUN FACT: When I first moved in I had just moved from Michigan and had yet to get a bank in SoCal and my credit union in Michigan didn’t work with Zelle. I got a bank with California Bank and Trust which at the time I didn’t know had a daily cap of some number less than $1,000 on Zelle and my landlord straight up refused to take multiple payments. But when it’s HER issue it’s no problem!
Lmao jfc.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

pancake rabbit posted:

they loving halted trading lmaooooooo

where did you see this?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really glad the fired the one guy at work who kept talking about his stocks specifically because he was talking about his stocks when he should have been working lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Sing Along posted:

where did you see this?

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1352675230863421440