Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I mentioned earlier (I think?) that I was astounded at the number of people who still use AOL emails.

Well I found a new one. For Reasons my job is interested in reducing paper usage, so they want email addresses to contact people, rather than an address or phone number. The number of people who give us a loving fax number, but no email, is also astounding. We are more than twenty years into the 21st century, people. The time to be dragging your feet on this is LONG since over.

I guess my peeve is people who just plug their ears and pretend nothing has changed. You're a human being, dude, loving adapt! That's why our species has been able to take off the way it has: WE ADAPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

every fuckin day i find poo poo stashed all over the checklane by people who would rather set up a hidden object game than loving interact with the cashier to say "i don't want this after all"

I once found a melted tub of ice cream hidden in the electronics department behind a bunch of school supplies. It had a big old slash near the bottom, so it had also leaked all over the endcap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a current pet peeves involving my roommate.

Instead of just going to bed early, like at midnight instead of 2am, will just stay up all night when she has to do something important the next day. This leads to her being exhausted and rambling on, and on, and on about whatever is annoying her, which is everything. I'm currently listening to her complain about the existence of commercials, and how they're better in Europe. I'd tell her to just go to bed, but that just pisses her off and she stays up longer out of spite.

This usually lasts until she's mumbling incoherently and leans back in her chair and starts snoring for the next six hours. Once she did that while I was watching Starship Troopers at a good volume, I was amazed that she managed to sleep right through all those action movie sounds.

EDIT:
An update if anyone cares. My roommate was crawling around on the floor looking for the back for her earring, and then just laid down to sleep. This is a new one to me. At least it's in a spot where I don't need to keep stepping over her.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jan 11, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm currently peeved at my roommate because for three or four mornings in a row he has cooked up some massive onion/mushroom stir fry and the stove is right next to my room so I just have horrible itchy eyes.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Silver Falcon posted:

I mentioned earlier (I think?) that I was astounded at the number of people who still use AOL emails.

My primary e-mail address is still an @hotmail.com account from 2000. :shobon:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I still have a hotmail account that I use when I need to give out an email address so my gmail account doesn't get flooded with spam.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My primary e-mail address is still an @hotmail.com account from 2000. :shobon:

Mine is from 1996 :smug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My primary email address is a carrier pigeon network.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm currently peeved at my roommate because for three or four mornings in a row he has cooked up some massive onion/mushroom stir fry and the stove is right next to my room so I just have horrible itchy eyes.

i’m your roommate, those are breakfast burritos and you can have some if you want

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Well I found a new one. For Reasons my job is interested in reducing paper usage, so they want email addresses to contact people, rather than an address or phone number. The number of people who give us a loving fax number, but no email, is also astounding. We are more than twenty years into the 21st century, people. The time to be dragging your feet on this is LONG since over.

I guess my peeve is people who just plug their ears and pretend nothing has changed. You're a human being, dude, loving adapt! That's why our species has been able to take off the way it has: WE ADAPT.

For years my company sent invoices and BLs through fax. Then enough customers complained that they wanted them in email, so we switched to a system where we could send fax through email.

There’s no actual fax machine involved now at either end. Just sending faxes back and forth via email.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Smart speakers in general piss me off. You always sound like a dick when you're shouting at it, and even more like a dick when it doesn't understand you first time so you have to shout louder. They're creepy as gently caress, and have maybe like two genuinely useful features.

Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook can get the gently caress out of my house with their cameras and microphones.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Putting on underwear and the leg snags on my big toe

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Joey Freshwater posted:

For years my company sent invoices and BLs through fax. Then enough customers complained that they wanted them in email, so we switched to a system where we could send fax through email.

There’s no actual fax machine involved now at either end. Just sending faxes back and forth via email.

Ah, yeah my problem is I need an e-mail and I have a fax number.

Also, any of ya'll who still use your Hotmail accounts, I have no problem with you. You do you. I was more astounded that people are using AOL addresses for official business correspondence. Like a local business that has an AOL address for a contact instead of firstname_lastname@companyname.com.

It strikes me as unprofessional. Or am I just being a cranky grandma?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When people (admittedly, this is mainly hacker news, which is already a cesspool) start a reply with "False."

Talk like not a robot please

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

When people (admittedly, this is mainly hacker news, which is already a cesspool) start a reply with "False."

Sounds like loving Dwight

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Killingyouguy! posted:

i also hate “wrong.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Always respond with "I see where you're coming from, King, and respect your viewpoint, but have you considered-"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've been sleeping like poo poo lately and finally got a decent night's rest the other day, and of course I spend all night dreaming about loving work. Like, I don't even want to dream about work when I'm sneaking a nap at work.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Minor thing, but when people send me emails and the CC themselves on it.

Not an alternate email...literally sending it to themselves. Why? There are two ways to easily see an email you sent:

1) Sent emails folder. But really, are there still people, even 70 year old boomers who hate computers, who don't know this exists?

2) Change Outlook to conversation view, and then your sent emails and the other persons reply are all together in your inbox. Much better, honestly it should be the default option in Outlook, and why isn't it? Bill Gates plz respond.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I BCC myself on all my work E-mails because I want them in the Sent folder on my other computer, too, and I'm too lazy to set up/not interested in IMAP. (I don't use Outlook.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Big Caucasian Cock?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m so sick of bizarrely paranoid yet hypocritical covid chat. As someone who both got it and lost family to it.

Like, even now, you’ll get people posting online about if a different sort of mask will make them safer if they have a beard, and like... dude maybe shave? I’m a babyface who grows hair at lightspeed too, I prefer wearing a beard, but... it’s not that big a deal. Fuckin shave if you get tachycardia from spending two minutes in a pharmacy with your mask + a beard rather than desperately searching for The Perfect Mask

Also these people are like 100% privileged middle class computer toucher types who haven’t left their house in a year which sure makes me bitter.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jan 16, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m so sick of bizarrely paranoid yet hypocritical covid chat. As someone who both got it and lost family to it.

Like, even now, you’ll get people posting online about if a different sort of mask will make them safer if they have a beard, and like... dude maybe shave? I’m a babyface who grows hair at lightspeed too, I prefer wearing a beard, but... it’s not that big a deal. Fuckin shave if you get tachycardia from spending two minutes in a pharmacy with your mask + a beard rather than desperately searching for The Perfect Mask

Also these people are like 100% privileged middle class computer toucher types who haven’t left their house in a year which sure makes me bitter.

I got annoyed with all the constant disclaimers about “well, if it wasn’t for the virus”. No poo poo, everyone knows... then I made a post where I didn’t make that disclaimer about events that aren’t even happening now and within minutes had a “have you heard about this pandemic” type reply and was like “oh, that’s why there’s always disclaimers”. There’s a ton of people who really want you to know they’re taking it seriously even in places like SA where it’s kind of the standard.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I used to CC myself in on emails when I was working on procuring multiple projects, I'd set up a rule to file based on contract ID so it would automatically keep records of everything without me dipping into the sent file. I didnt want to set up more rules for sent stuff because I'd hit my lazy limit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People representing a long s with a lower-case f. If you look at actual texts in which the long s is used it's clearly different from f and transcribing them both as the same character just adds confusion where none previously existed - especially if you're reproducing archaic spelling as well, in which case you get used to just reading every F as an S until suddenly a real F appears and it throws you off.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Tiggum posted:

People representing a long s with a lower-case f. If you look at actual texts in which the long s is used it's clearly different from f and transcribing them both as the same character just adds confusion where none previously existed - especially if you're reproducing archaic spelling as well, in which case you get used to just reading every F as an S until suddenly a real F appears and it throws you off.

...Well, hell, that's one Discworld question answered.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vegans/vegetarians who see someone eating an animal product and have to bring up how bad it is for the environment and how their health is so much better without meat and the plant version tastes just like the meat version ok no it doesn’t taste the same ok pal

People who see a vegan/vegetarian eating and have to announce how good their chicken sandwich is or how many ribs they’re gonna cook this weekend and if god didn’t want us to eat animals he wouldn’t have made them delicious Hahahahaha ok there is no god alright buddy

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate that so much. Like stop being so obnoxious about other people’s food and let them eat, don’t attempt to start an argument!

I kind of dislike people commenting on what other people are eating in general, actually. This doesn’t count when it’s someone you’re eating with or a close friend or something, that usually doesn’t have the lovely awkwardness that comes with someone walking past you at work while you’re eating and going “what is that”. Admittedly I’m a bit sensitive to this, when I was a kid I’d often bring leftovers to school for lunch and sometimes the other kids would make fun of me because my food was “weird” :(

but yeah, just let people eat, god.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I sorta understand when it's hardline vegan people who genuinely believe meat is murder.

Wouldn't you say something if you saw someone literally eating human flesh in front of you?

It's still annoying but if they wouldn't be assholes about it they wouldn't be very firm in their convictions.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I sorta understand when it's hardline vegan people who genuinely believe meat is murder.

Wouldn't you say something if you saw someone literally eating human flesh in front of you?

It's still annoying but if they wouldn't be assholes about it they wouldn't be very firm in their convictions.

I’m usually more annoyed by meat eaters taunting vegetarians/vegans honestly, it seems more pointlessly mean-spirited and with the sole intent to provoke rather than expressing a sincerely-held belief or anything. It felt like it intensified awhile back when people on the internet wouldn’t shut up about bacon if I remember correctly.

Anyway I think I expressed myself kind of poorly there, sorry :negative:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Part of the issue with this way of thinking about it is that if people genuinely believe that you are going to hell for your sinful actions should they not step in to save you from hellfire?

Believe whatever you like but I don't actually have to listen to or care about what you're saying.

Don't eat meat. Contact politicians about stopping factory farming. Take effective action that may induce change.

Telling me the ribs I'm smoking came from a pig that murdered isn't going to sway me, just the same as being told that homosexuality will drat me to hell isn't going to change my mind.

Maybe just worry about your own house and leave me be?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a vegetarian, I’m cool with the death penalty and subsequent consumption of pigs that murdered.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

oldpainless! :argh:

A new delightful peeve I have just encountered: I stupidly stacked two of the same bowls in the sink to soak and they suctioned themselves together and I spent way too long trying to pry them apart before getting water on myself :cry:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

HOLY gently caress posted:

A new delightful peeve I have just encountered: I stupidly stacked two of the same bowls in the sink to soak and they suctioned themselves together and I spent way too long trying to pry them apart before getting water on myself :cry:

next time turn the stuck stack over, run hot water over the bottom bowl, then flip them around and run cold water into the top bowl. the slight temp difference should unstick them handily

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018

Killingyouguy! posted:

Basically everyone on hacker news bothers me. Every poster seems to either have a specific “I’m rich and therefore a libertarian” position on everything involving money or a particularly annoying but identical “I’m not rich but I assume that by agreeing with all of these software engineers I will certainly become rich” position.

Yesterday there was a whole echo chamber where they were all agreeing that building luxury apartments magically lowers rent for everyone else. Suggesting that maybe that’s not the case led to really angry responses. :shepicide:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Farten Barfen posted:

Basically everyone on hacker news bothers me.

this is extremely fair. i had to block that site on my devices to keep myself from hate-reading it

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I’m usually more annoyed by meat eaters taunting vegetarians/vegans honestly, it seems more pointlessly mean-spirited and with the sole intent to provoke rather than expressing a sincerely-held belief or anything. It felt like it intensified awhile back when people on the internet wouldn’t shut up about bacon if I remember correctly.

Anyway I think I expressed myself kind of poorly there, sorry :negative:

I don't taunt vegetarians/vegans. I like meat, I like vegetables, I like baking, I'm down with whatever. I just get irritated when you meet someone that never shuts about how much they like bacon or how they're vegetarian because meat is murder. Most people are fine. People that proselytize are irritating.

My mom does bug me though. She's been a vegetarian since the 80's. She always tells me how easy it is to be vegetarian. Of course it is, I always cook vegetarian for her when she visits. My dad cooks vegetarian for her at home. I go out of my way to plan vegetarian meals. That's why it's easy. Everyone plans vegetarian for her so, as far as she knows, it's easy.

It's fine. I like my vegetarian lasagna that I make with eggplant. I kind of like it better than the meat kind. It's just more work with the salting, pressing, frying, etc. I make a lot of vegetarian stuff, but I still like meat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s also really easy if you just suck it up and wait or nibble on sides when people cook or go out to somewhere non vegetarian friendly which is what the vast majority of us do.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Speaking of spraying water on oneself, ice cream scoops, like the proper solid aluminium ones, are a cursed monkey's paw wish. The curve that is designed to make perfect balls of ice cream is coincidentally the most efficient way to redirect the water from the tap on to the bench around the sink and also your crotch, no matter how you hold it as you rinse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Novels which don't have short chapters or 'sections'. I'm not saying I want the da Vinci Code, but I've just started reading Under the Volcano, and the first chapter is 48 pages long, with no breaks.

Perhaps growing up reading Discworld has overly accustomed me to novels being broken up fairly regularly, but a fifty page chapter would take like... I dunno, maybe like 90 minutes worth of unbroken reading, which unfortunately ain't gonna happen.