Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Henry Aaron has passed.

May he rest in peace and his legacy endure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh man

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Henry Aaron has passed.

May he rest in peace and his legacy endure

Oh drat. Big loss for the world.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

RIP Hammerin Hank, this is a tough one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Aww man. RIP, Hank Aaron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjqYThEVoSQ

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

RIP Hammerin Hank, this is a tough one.

Yeah, this is hitting me harder than I thought it would.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This sucks :(

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I read his autobio as a child and watched the #715 highlight a million times. Just really devoted to him as a historical player and figure. I’m tearing up a bit :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Such terrible news to start the day :smith:

Hank Aaron was great, and his cameo on Futurama was also great.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
gently caress. He seemed like a good guy and was always one of the "elder statesmen" so to speak.

He's hitting dingers in heaven. RIP.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
2021 off to a rough start :smith:

RIP Hammerin' Hank

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chilihead posted:

Is it possible he got hit in the head with a line drive? i remember legit thinking he was cool way back in 2003. I just can't understand what happened.

Possibly many of us on this forum were online gamers back then and were completely fooled by this asshat.

"hes literally a nazi" stories were being printed in the early 90s. i remember them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

was that two random dudes who ran onto the field to congratulate him as he rounded the bases?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aaron said later he thought there were running out to kill him.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Saddest baseball news possible. If you don’t get chills listening to Vin Scully’s call of 715 then you’re dead inside. One of the greatest players and ambassadors American sports has ever had.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

was that two random dudes who ran onto the field to congratulate him as he rounded the bases?

How are you in this thread without ever seeing one of the most famous baseball clips of all time

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Watching his mom jump into him and hug him gets me every time. 🥲

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

RCarr posted:

How are you in this thread without ever seeing one of the most famous baseball clips of all time

I got into baseball 5 years ago when a politics podcast host recommended listening to effectively wild, and I loaded up on episodes for a bus trip in New Zealand. I know almost nothing about the history.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm not sure if The Athletc has unlocked it or not, but Aaron's entry in Joe Posnanski's Baseball 100 is obviously worth a read today.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got into baseball 5 years ago when a politics podcast host recommended listening to effectively wild, and I loaded up on episodes for a bus trip in New Zealand. I know almost nothing about the history.

That is very cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of baseball!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

RCarr posted:

That is very cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of baseball!

thanks. next up is watching the burns documentary and reading a bunch of the famous books

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Even just making it out of Mobile would have been a hell of an achievement at the time but Aaron went on to destroy baseballs for twenty years and change, he played great defense, he even stole bases up to his mid-30s. All while being a lightning rod for racist assholes. What a god.

edit: haha
https://twitter.com/MidwayMinute/status/1352643082412568579?s=20

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 22, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
"they didn't need pinstripes for henry aaron" is one of the better zingers of all time

howe_sam posted:

I'm not sure if The Athletc has unlocked it or not, but Aaron's entry in Joe Posnanski's Baseball 100 is obviously worth a read today.

anyone who hasn't read these should. or at least hank, oscar charleston, bonds, and cobb if you dont want to read them all

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 22, 2021

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

This is great. I grew up with baseball and this might be the historic highlight I remember best. As a kid, I was fascinated by the fans on the field too. My dad explained to me they didn't just disappear, they were in documentaries, interviews.

Hank Aaron even reconnected with them in the 90s and in 2010.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=5504664

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The prices on Hank Aaron autographed merch are gonna skyrocket now, and they were already pretty high to begin with. Guess I can forget about ever getting that autographed bat and ball I’ve been wanting. :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bewbies posted:

anyone who hasn't read these should. or at least hank, oscar charleston, bonds, and cobb if you dont want to read them all

The print collection of the Baseball 100 is coming out in October and I cannot wait.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MVP votes every season from ages 21 through 39, but somehow only one win despite 8 seasons over 8 WAR

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Honestly think Aaron is the most underrated player of all time. He was just so good, for so long. He didn't have down years at all.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

MVP votes every season from ages 21 through 39, but somehow only one win despite 8 seasons over 8 WAR

had the misfortune of playing at the same time as Willie Mays, for one, but he absolutely should've beaten out Joe Torre in 1971 (Aaron's age-37 year). Had a case for the year that Koufax won it as well.

I. M. Gei posted:

The prices on Hank Aaron autographed merch are gonna skyrocket now, and they were already pretty high to begin with. Guess I can forget about ever getting that autographed bat and ball I’ve been wanting. :(

sorry for your loss

edit: what happened to the condolences/goondolences macro, i'm missing it somewhere

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

howe_sam posted:

The print collection of the Baseball 100 is coming out in October and I cannot wait.

Oh drat, I know what I'm asking my wife to get me for Christmas.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

elentar posted:

sorry for your loss

edit: what happened to the condolences/goondolences macro, i'm missing it somewhere

All of the Hank Aaron autograph merch on MLBShop.com is already discontinued, which likely means that nothing had been autographed yet when he died and there’s no more existing stock, so it’s gone forever outside eBay.

gently caress. I need a loving job.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

Had a case for the year that Koufax won it as well.
I thought so too, then I noticed Willie Mays put up 10.5 WAR that year

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

good time to revive this idea imo

https://twitter.com/JPosnanski/status/1051133234854195200

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

I thought so too, then I noticed Willie Mays put up 10.5 WAR that year

I hadn't thought to look further down the list, rookie mistake

absolute :laffo: though at Dick Groat coming in 2nd ahead of Aaron and Mays with these numbers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I prefer Atlanta Crackers. After the Atlanta Black Crackers from the Negro League.

That or the Atlanta Bombers, with a bunch of poo poo making fun of Eric Rudolph. Dig up his body, dump it in a hole at home plate and do a bunch of abortions and gay sex on it, make a mascot named “Rudy” with Rudolph’s face and have it do a bunch of gay poo poo at every game cuz Rudolph hated gays and abortions. Basically just poo poo on Eric Rudolph, literally and figuratively, in every possible way, for all time, forever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was already down this week and now I'm feeling devastated, which feels weird since I never actually saw him play but he was always one of the legends. When I was in Milwaukee I wandered around the Brewers parking lot in the rain before the game to find the plaque for his last home run. Hank and Willie are the only two autographed balls I have for people I never saw play in person but I needed to have them. I'm glad I did get to see Hank speak a few years ago at the Frank Robinson statue dedication in Cleveland.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress. Hank Aaron dead. Curt Schilling alive. lovely day.

more falafel please posted:

Didn't it come out that all of the stuff about Cobb being racist was made up by a writer who was basically doing a con for publicity?

I tried reading up on that awhile back and my impression was that not a ton was really "disproven". There's some credibility questions but they all come from Cobb's estate and there's still a bunch of poo poo they just make excuses for and whitewash.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2021

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

I prefer Atlanta Crackers. After the Atlanta Black Crackers from the Negro League.

That or the Atlanta Bombers, with a bunch of poo poo making fun of Eric Rudolph. Dig up his body, dump it in a hole at home plate and do a bunch of abortions and gay sex on it, make a mascot named “Rudy” with Rudolph’s face and have it do a bunch of gay poo poo at every game cuz Rudolph hated gays and abortions. Basically just poo poo on Eric Rudolph, literally and figuratively, in every possible way, for all time, forever.

Well said

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love Hank as a civil rights icon but my god, that sleeve patch. I know it wasn't his fault/decision but yeeeeesh

(glares at chief wahoo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hank Aaron rules forever. RIP

ALSO

https://twitter.com/LottOnBaseball/status/1352697855769784323

John Lott is also very cool