Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't understand how to play the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you go here

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation/releases/tag/1.0.0

download the appropriate file and follow the instructions

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Amppelix posted:

you go here

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation/releases/tag/1.0.0

download the appropriate file and follow the instructions

Now when they say take your data from your legally purchased copy of the game, does that mean get the data from the phone game magically onto my computer, or do they mean the steam versions.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Now when they say take your data from your legally purchased copy of the game, does that mean get the data from the phone game magically onto my computer, or do they mean the steam versions.

quote:

your legally purchased copy of Sonic 1 (2013) OR Sonic 2 (2013)
That sounds like specifically the iOS versions. They're covering their asses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Then I'm afraid I'm too much of an idiot to figure out how to run this. I do own Sonic 2 on my android device though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Paste the following links in this site: https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic1px&hl=pt_BR&gl=US

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic2.runner&hl=pt_BR&gl=US

This will download the apks of the free versions straight form the play store.

Open each .apk with 7zip, and extract the data.rsdk.xmf file in the folder with the decompilation.

Delete the .xmf extension in the data.rsdk file.

Run the .exe.

You will need to have two separate folders with the decompilation, one for Sonic 1 and another for Sonic 2. You can't use both data.rsdk at the same time (yet).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh dang, thanks a ton.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yey, I'm playing the video game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1352300033907912708

Sonic the Kid

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic 1 and 2 (2013) have also been ported to the Nintendo Switch! It's homebrew though.

Larryb posted:

Ah, how is it then?

I played the first one and it was pretty good. Tetris has a different history with Sega than Nintendo but the differences are minor these days. If you like Puyo Puyo, it's the only game in town. It doesn't have an insane number of game modes like some entries. Different planet and story than the original and Fever series, so you don't need to know anything about the classic characters that fall into a portal to it.

If you only want to scratch that Tetris itch, I recommend one of the Tetris the Grand Master games in the MAME for shmups with less input lag.
There's the free Tetris 99 on Switch that isn't my thing but people like it.
If you like Lumines, then Tetris Effect.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 21, 2021

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Heran Bago posted:

If you only want to scratch that Tetris itch, I recommend one of the Tetris the Grand Master games in the MAME for shmups with less input lag.
There's the free Tetris 99 on Switch that isn't my thing but people like it.
If you like Lumines, then Tetris Effect.

The TGM team, Arika, made Tetris 99, and it has a Marathon mode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I forgot how boring of a final boss Death Egg robot is. He looks cool tho.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Making it take twelve hits was the biggest mistake. I realise you want the last boss to be tougher but zero rings means you can't just tank hits using your iframes and he spends large chunks of time either off screen or unable to be damaged.

The Wing Fortress boss is tougher imo

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/this-high-res-sonic-hack-crams-entire-stages-on-a-single-screen/

It's like being able to play those level maps people put online.

e: Once you get the rhythm down you can hit the Death Egg robot while he's walking and beat him in no time, otherwise you can beat him with basically no risk to yourself, but it takes forever. It's not a great boss, the Generations version was better.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/this-high-res-sonic-hack-crams-entire-stages-on-a-single-screen/

It's like being able to play those level maps people put online.

e: Once you get the rhythm down you can hit the Death Egg robot while he's walking and beat him in no time, otherwise you can beat him with basically no risk to yourself, but it takes forever. It's not a great boss, the Generations version was better.

Generations and Mania had the best (or at least much less tedious) versions of that boss. The Sonic 4 version at least gave you rings but for some reason the fight was now twice as long.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 21, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Sonic 4 version was my favourite, and I'd like to see that design as an actual fighting robot, or maybe a small combat suit that Eggman can wear. Doing more than just stomping about, anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Anyone got tips to get the ports to work with the genesis mini 3 button controller? I'm using steam to do the inputs for other controllers, but none of them feel right and it gets upset the mini's controller has so few buttons.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Anyone got tips to get the ports to work with the genesis mini 3 button controller? I'm using steam to do the inputs for other controllers, but none of them feel right and it gets upset the mini's controller has so few buttons.

Those controllers should show up in Windows as normal DirectInput controllers.

If the port can be played with the keyboard, you can map the controller to keyboard keys with JoytoKey.

If it wants an Xbox controller specifically, you can futz with the Xbox 360 Controller Emulator XB360ce.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Making it take twelve hits was the biggest mistake. I realise you want the last boss to be tougher but zero rings means you can't just tank hits using your iframes and he spends large chunks of time either off screen or unable to be damaged.

The Wing Fortress boss is tougher imo

His pattern is so predictable and boring. If he was doing more poo poo you'd have more chances to damage him, and the fight wouldn't be so darn slow. Doesn't help that I was playing as Knuckles, which greatly cuts down your opportunities to hit him.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've come to the conclusion that the correct way to play Sonic 2 is to play up to and including Mystic Cave Zone, say "that was great! weirdly easy final boss, though", and then next time you play just start over at Emerald Hill.

I guess Hidden Palace being added to the mobile might add something to that, need to try it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's nothing wrong with Sky Chase, Wing Fortress and the Robo Sonic fight. It's really just that final boss that's a snoozer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

There's nothing wrong with Sky Chase, Wing Fortress and the Robo Sonic fight. It's really just that final boss that's a snoozer.

Metropolis (and Oil Ocean to an extent) kind of sucks in my opinion though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wing Fortress is pretty cool outside the death pits.

Metropolis Zone can get hosed though. Just when you think you're done with the exploding starfish and hands-off mantis there's a third act.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I actually kinda like Metropolis in theory, in that it's nice to see a Sonic zone that's hard because of something other than the dreaded bottomless pits (I'll be honest, I've never got on with Wing Fortress the few times I've reached it). But oh boy is it a slog to actually play through. At least the music's good though :).

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I kind of feel like Scrap Brain did Metropolis’ whole deal better(like, maybe the one time the first game did something better).
Like, the first two acts, anyway. It’s industrial, but the difficulty is mostly tricky platforms and environmental obstacles rather than bullshit enemy placement and those tedious rear end screws.
Also it has the duct with rings over it perfectly timed to dump you into the pit below if you go to get them. Right at the start. Very quick and to the point.

Edit: Labyrinth Zone Act 4 can gently caress right off though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Paul.Power posted:

I actually kinda like Metropolis in theory, in that it's nice to see a Sonic zone that's hard because of something other than the dreaded bottomless pits (I'll be honest, I've never got on with Wing Fortress the few times I've reached it). But oh boy is it a slog to actually play through. At least the music's good though :).

The music is excellent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In my experience every Genesis Sonic game has at least one tedious level that breaks the flow a bit, which in my opinion are:

Sonic 1: Labyrinth

Sonic 2: Metropolis

Sonic 3K: Sandopolis (especially the second act)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Mania's Metallic Madness is the best incarnation of the Scrab Brain level theme by a country mile.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

Sonic Mania's Metallic Madness is the best incarnation of the Scrab Brain level theme by a country mile.

Out of curiosity, would you say the same thing about the Sonic CD version?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Personally my least favorite zone in 2 is Aquatic Ruins. I really do not like its aesthetic or design sensibilities. It's thankfully not too long or difficult, but it still sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, would you say the same thing about the Sonic CD version?

nope lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Personally my least favorite zone in 2 is Aquatic Ruins. I really do not like its aesthetic or design sensibilities. It's thankfully not too long or difficult, but it still sucks.

To be fair, it’s about the only water level in a Sonic game (as far as I remember anyway) that you can theoretically beat without ever going underwater so that’s something at least.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not a huge fan of the level design in Metallic Madness, even in Mania, it's pretty cluttered. They pretty much nailed it with Scrap Brain Act 2.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
My favourite variant of the Scrap Brain theme is Scrap Brain act 3.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Edit: Labyrinth Zone Act 4 can gently caress right off though.
It's a shame because I rather like the aesthetics of Scrap Brain and it feels like we got robbed from a proper act 3.

I wonder if there's any story behind Scrap Brain 3. Did they have a better idea planned at one point? Was it always meant to be what we got?

Augus posted:

It also has an absolute banger of a track.

But I think Death Egg from S3&K might be my favorite of that theme? I remember it being tough as a kid, but not like, obnoxiously so. It feels pretty lengthy and perilous, with a few neat gimmicks. Metallic Madness in Mania is a bit weird cause it's basically followed by another level of the sameish theme.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
In my eyes Sonic 2s biggest flaw is there aren't three rings placed at the start of deathegg zone so theres zero leeway to make mistakes or learn which parts of the boss kill you snd which don't. Never had the patience as a child to beat even silver sonic, let alone the final boss iteslf. As an adult I never had the motivation to go and beat the game fully either.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 22, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr Phillby posted:

In my eyes Sonic 2s biggest flaw is there aren't three rings placed at the start of deathegg zone so theres zero leeway to make mistakes or learn which parts of the boss sonic kill you snd which don't. Never had the patience as a child to beat even silver sonic, let alone the final boss iteslf. As an adult I never had the motivation to go and beat the game fully either.

The Sonic Jam Sega Saturn ports had rings on Death Egg Zone on "Easy" and I think "Normal" difficulty, which let me as a child get good enough at Sonic 2 that I was able to beat it on a Sega Nomad a couple of times on longer flights.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 22, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

In my eyes Sonic 2s biggest flaw is there aren't three rings placed at the start of deathegg zone so theres zero leeway to make mistakes or learn which parts of the boss kill you snd which don't. Never had the patience as a child to beat even silver sonic, let alone the final boss iteslf. As an adult I never had the motivation to go and beat the game fully either.

Sonic & Knuckles has the same issue and a fairly challenging two part boss for Sonic/Tails and yet I feel like it's not nearly as annoying. Probably because he takes fewer hits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Sonic & Knuckles has the same issue and a fairly challenging two part boss for Sonic/Tails and yet I feel like it's not nearly as annoying. Probably because he takes fewer hits.

Technically in that case you only have zero rings for the “Act 3” fight if you come in via the stage select, under normal means you keep however many rings you had left from Act 2 (as I recall anyway, I could be wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Technically in that case you only have zero rings for the “Act 3” fight if you come in via the stage select, under normal means you keep however many rings you had left from Act 2 (as I recall anyway, I could be wrong).

Yeah, if you try going to Doomsday Zone Act 1 it puts you at the giant penguin robot with 0 rings, but if you beat Death Egg Zone Act 2 you keep any rings you had. It ALSO doesn't reset the timer though, so it's very possible to take too long on Act 2/Act 2's boss and then time out on the final boss :v: