Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

when you say "mouth noises" do you mean him making guitar riff sounds

lol yeah, call 'em what you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’m not saying it’s an easy show to make, but finding topics is not one of the hard parts considering your audience mails you things to read and riff off of every week. There’s just no reason to keep going back to the Brand Well.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

personally i enjoy listening to the funny brothers podcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pigbuster posted:

Travis is really good in that ghost house tour video they released out of the blue a while ago. Though honestly they were all running on full cylinders in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT5mva_bFQg

despite him being the very literal soyface embodiment he actually is quite good at physical comedy too. Like in that bit where he's going through the 'don't spit, puke, or pee on anyone' and he's just kinda shrugging his shoulders all 'pft can you believe this poo poo?' that's a funny bit.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ok Comboomer posted:

You mean because of covid? Or do you reckon that making 13 straight years of content together as a family would burn them out?

The former, most definitely. There's at least an end in sight now, but that can actually cause more anxiety because of the anticipation while you're still in the poo poo. Work-wise, they have significantly fewer responsibilities than they did just a few years ago. Clint retired from radio, Justin and Griffin don't have to churn out Polygon content all the time, and Travis already does everything so a heavy workload doesn't faze him much anyway. Plus no touring or appearances this year. They just have to record for a few hours at home each week. Life's just been hard lately, and they're all pretty anxious and sensitive boys.

more falafel please posted:

My favorite travis joke is "say it with donuts"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOVjTFa_9I

but i guess at least half of why i like it is justin's response

"You dumb piece of poo poo" is easily the highest honor among McElroy brothers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Too Many Birds posted:

Yeah it's good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sticklefifer posted:

"You dumb piece of poo poo" is easily the highest honor among McElroy brothers.

Should be a medal

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Too Many Birds posted:

Mods?!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sexpig by night posted:

despite him being the very literal soyface embodiment
the reasons travis is annoying have nothing to do with lovely wojack memes

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Travis is a "Three True Outcomes" where he either completely whiffs, is basically handed an easy punchline, or he absolutely demolishes with a well-timed joke. He's not everybody's favorite player, but his contributions to the game are undeniable.

My only problem with him is that he fancies himself a pitcher, but has no real control. Just look at Old Beef.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I recently went back to the Trolls Podcast, and I had forgotten how genuinely funny it is. Highly recommend revisiting it. All three brothers on top form.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SpacePig posted:

Travis is a "Three True Outcomes" where he either completely whiffs, is basically handed an easy punchline, or he absolutely demolishes with a well-timed joke. He's not everybody's favorite player, but his contributions to the game are undeniable.

My only problem with him is that he fancies himself a pitcher, but has no real control. Just look at Old Beef.

To be a good three true outcomes hitter you have to have more than like 10 career dingers

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SpacePig posted:

he's Pat Burrell??

e: this is probably the 10,000th iteration of the cycle in which people whine about travis. at what point does the cycle get broken and humanity succumbs to oblivion

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Tears In A Vial posted:

I recently went back to the Trolls Podcast, and I had forgotten how genuinely funny it is. Highly recommend revisiting it. All three brothers on top form.

maybe the problem with the show is they aren’t smoking enough weed now that they can’t tour through all the legal states and get handed edibles at every stop

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

sexpig by night posted:

you need to spend less time on parler

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sexpig by night posted:

Ew. Don't use incel words, it's gross.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

The 7th Guest posted:

he's Pat Burrell??

e: this is probably the 10,000th iteration of the cycle in which people whine about travis. at what point does the cycle get broken and humanity succumbs to oblivion
Sorry bro we gotta do that after the No One Enjoys TAZ part of the loop. Max Fun Ads Suck is up next.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/friendly-fire/over-and-out-2021/?fbclid=IwAR0f2r7HJIOnfvr1VPwsFtUbcSmg4CuFU274YVzpJCsu5hKlGXGoO2H4-Ho

drat RIP

Not even an insurrection could save beandad

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: Nevermind, didn't look close enough

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

welp, I guess I’m totally done listening to MaxFun shows then. Friendly Fire was my last holdout

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Ok, Comboomer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

poor life choice posted:

Ok, Comboomer.

I’m not like threatening to boycott or complaining about “wokeness” or anything. I just used to listen to a lot of MaxFun shows and then I slowly stopped one by one, until FF was my very last. I have lots of other podcasts that I listen to

you’ve got like 2 pages of people going on about how Griffin is too negative and Travis has always been unfunny, but sure I’m the one saying objectionable poo poo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Hope no one finds the old episodes of Jordan Jesse Go where Jesse thinks it’s okay to say slurs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

inferis posted:

Hope no one finds the old episodes of Jordan Jesse Go where Jesse thinks it’s okay to say slurs.

if MaxFun Network were a person it would 100% be a “sassy Pete Buttigieg megafan” or a white male KHiver

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got to an episode of hey riddle riddle with by far the worst riddle ever, maybe riddle me piss should look into it

Q: A woman walked into a room, saw acid on the floor, but did nothing about it, as the floor was not in any danger. Why?

A: The woman was a teacher; she saw one of her students, named Acid, on the floor, reading a book.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The 7th Guest posted:

i got to an episode of hey riddle riddle with by far the worst riddle ever, maybe riddle me piss should look into it

Q: A woman walked into a room, saw acid on the floor, but did nothing about it, as the floor was not in any danger. Why?

A: The woman was a teacher; she saw one of her students, named Acid, on the floor, reading a book.

I remember reading a book of riddles as a kid that was full of things like this, where you would have no way of guessing the right answer unless you had information that wasn't included in the actual riddle.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I haven't listened to that podcast but what a movie to end on and feel good about having accomplished something.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrendianaJones posted:

I remember reading a book of riddles as a kid that was full of things like this, where you would have no way of guessing the right answer unless you had information that wasn't included in the actual riddle.

yeah HRR is 90% completely incoherent riddles that make everyone angry lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The 7th Guest posted:

Rude Tales of Magic had a few recent episodes centered on a riddle themed burning man festival (Riddle Guy ‘97) that largely consisted of the DM and the players (all improv people iirc) just doubling down on making the worst of these possible on the fly. It was horrendous in all the ways you’d want. It also had an extended music section by Diarrhea Planet of all bands. It’s a good show.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I checked out of season three after a few episodes, but I’m running out of comedy TTRPG podcasts. Are the goofs good enough to make up for Travis’ DMing?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

For what it's worth, the latest episodes have been the best in a LONG time for me. Good goofs with wacky NPCs, no weepy monologues, and they all seem to be having fun.

Now, is it worth slogging through stuff to get there? I'm sure binging helps a lot with that, but I don't know how much free time you have.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think if you're one to get hung up on DMs, stick to what you already like.

I've enjoyed Graduation a lot but I'm also in it for the McElroys and not the D&D aspect of it. I guess, anyway? I dunno, this thread has warped my brain.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a general point where Graduation gets as good as it seems to be now? Think I might try my hand at just jumping right the gently caress in there and not worrying too much about what was missed (or just pick it up in the Previously On, Google it, w/e)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

goblin week posted:

you need to spend less time on parler

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ew. Don't use incel words, it's gross.

Lol at this hand wringing. Travis literally does soy face in every photo.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Previa_fun posted:

They're not hand-wringing, they're trying to let you know that using a phrase like "soy face" makes you sound like a CHUD

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

otoh those posts make you sound like you moderate a mcelroy facebook fan group

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Warbird posted:

Rude Tales of Magic had a few recent episodes centered on a riddle themed burning man festival (Riddle Guy ‘97) that largely consisted of the DM and the players (all improv people iirc) just doubling down on making the worst of these possible on the fly. It was horrendous in all the ways you’d want. It also had an extended music section by Diarrhea Planet of all bands. It’s a good show.

Riddle Guy '97 was an incredible couple of sessions made all the better by Carly / Albee's complete distaste for riddles and the revelation that riddles are bullshit and anything vaguely plausible can be the answer if you say it with enough confidence.

And yeah Diarrhea Planet was the perfect way to close it out. The amount of time that went into looping the track seamlessly, putting the right effects on to make it sound like a live show and mixing with all the cast's vocal tracks must have been huge.

If you like D&D with funny people making dick and fart jokes and sometimes being surprisingly poignant you should listen to Rude Tales of Magic.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

otoh those posts make you sound like you moderate a mcelroy facebook fan group

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Previa_fun posted:

What on earth is soy face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

timp posted:

Is there a general point where Graduation gets as good as it seems to be now? Think I might try my hand at just jumping right the gently caress in there and not worrying too much about what was missed (or just pick it up in the Previously On, Google it, w/e)

I'd put that point at about episode 20 personally, maybe a little earlier except that #19 is a bunch of extended dream sequences and monologues. That's about when they started to realize they needed to cut the campaign's timeline short and get to the good stuff. Didn't they originally plan for it to last five (in-game) years or something?

But I think Travis has been doing a really good job with the recaps at the start of each episode so you could probably pick back up wherever you like.