Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Source4Leko posted:

I'm really glad the fired the one guy at work who kept talking about his stocks specifically because he was talking about his stocks when he should have been working lmao.

:thunk:

yeah it owns, second halt at $73. shorters getting screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

the NSA does want foreign governments spying on specially curated military disinformation :tinfoil:

reminds me of a thing the allies did in world war 2 where bombers had a small book of codes which the nazis recovered from the wreckage of one of those they downed

unfortunately for them, the book contained codes specifically designed to help break nazi cryptography when they transmitted it back to hq by radio

Brunch Covidian
Nov 21, 2020

by Pragmatica
GameStop trading halted; shares up 1000%. This is because more people sold short on it than shares even exist, requiring institutional investors to buy the underlying stock to hedge, driving the price up further, attracting even more short sellers, etc etc etc. Currently, the stock is over subscribe to shorts; short sellers hold contracts for over 109% of its outstanding shares. People think it's such a sure bet to crash that they've created a scarcity of shares and an increase in price.

It's a doomed company, there isn't even any kind of plan for a future of viability, but this perverse feedback loop of short selling has caused it to go full on dutch tulip.

Totally normal market

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

unfortunately for them, the book contained codes specifically designed to help break nazi cryptography when they transmitted it back to hq by radio
Ha, goddamn, I wish we could put that sort of cleverness toward anti-imperialist efforts.

War bad, but deception in warfare loving owns.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

this is so dumb I love it it owns

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Tubgoat posted:

Ha, goddamn, I wish we could put that sort of cleverness toward anti-imperialist efforts.

War bad, but deception in warfare loving owns.

War is bad but it is endlessly fascinating to study.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I will never invest

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

reminds me of a thing the allies did in world war 2 where bombers had a small book of codes which the nazis recovered from the wreckage of one of those they downed

Yeah I liked Cryptonomicon too.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

STOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah I liked Cryptonomicon too.

had never heard of it before. i heard that story from the prof that taught the crypto class i took in college

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Source4Leko posted:

Lol honestly I never even considered what the government would be capable of if they used the NSA AND DoE computers for an attack like that. Would be instantly hilarious.

What is a 51% attack?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Good thing we increased N95 production and the shortage ended :v:

oh wait, that never happened. 3M activated inactive production lines, I hear they're building a new facility slated for this year, but why is 3M's patent more important than just letting anyone with the equipment make it ala WW2? Furniture factories were making plane parts and there are still firearms out there with factory stamps from places that other than the war, never even made anything like a gun.

The staff at the hospital I work at hang their N95s up for collection and cleaning like Christmas stockings with their names on them. The SOP is they are cleaned and used 4 times. I doubt that is actually the case.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

when did WSB get big enough to successfully manipulate stock prices?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Wrex Ruckus posted:

since about six months ago

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Wrex Ruckus posted:

when WFH started according to this thread

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wutang-Yutani CORP posted:

What is a 51% attack?

My understanding of this is that what defines the "true" blockchain is kept consistent between parties through consensus/verification between clients, measured in terms of the balance of recorded computing power effort

If nodes you controlled somehow constituted more than half of the ledger, you could effectively forge docs and rewrite the history of that chain because your fake ledger outnumbers/outweighs the "true" consensus

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
number cannot be halted, only delayed

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Brunch Covidian posted:

GameStop trading halted; shares up 1000%. This is because more people sold short on it than shares even exist, requiring institutional investors to buy the underlying stock to hedge, driving the price up further, attracting even more short sellers, etc etc etc. Currently, the stock is over subscribe to shorts; short sellers hold contracts for over 109% of its outstanding shares. People think it's such a sure bet to crash that they've created a scarcity of shares and an increase in price.

It's a doomed company, there isn't even any kind of plan for a future of viability, but this perverse feedback loop of short selling has caused it to go full on dutch tulip.

Totally normal market

Maybe they shouldn't allow naked shorting? :thunk: Nah!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

Maybe they shouldn't allow naked shorting? :thunk: Nah!

they don't but nobody enforces it

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Gme was so epic with the amount of money made today Im buying a gamestop like by the time this gme thing ends the stories will be legendary all stemming from a reddit post.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the shorts dont have to be naked to have more short interest than shares exist. selling short just means borrowing the stock and selling it. the buyer of the stock in that transaction can then loan it out again to a new guy who sells it for a short.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Brunch Covidian posted:

Totally normal market

i wonder if there is a gamestop exec angerly cursing hertz for making it impossible for dying companies to issue more shares

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah it's freaking gme Friday!!!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Brunch Covidian posted:

Totally normal market

just like Number, gamers rise up

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
It's about ethics in gaming stocks.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Antonymous posted:

its weird how much Fauci clearly sucks but no one thinks so. it makes me feel insane. he said not to wear a mask until like June 2020 and caused maybe 100,000 more people to die b/c of exponential growth

he was also in charge of the AIDS pandemic in the 80s

he is a colossal failure and his career has been to fail more than any other country

he should have resigned or been removed, gently caress

aye

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

fart simpson posted:

the variant ive heard is “he eventually asked people to wear masks when he learned new information. that’s how science works”

new information we learned over 100 years ago in this very country ... ????

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

dr. sex cake would have been better than liar fauci

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

has anyone else ever noticed that Bill Gates gets praised for giving away all his money, but he's like 150b richer now than when he made that promise

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

zegermans posted:

has anyone else ever noticed that Bill Gates gets praised for giving away all his money, but he's like 150b richer now than when he made that promise

Maybe he needs the money?

(For an Antarctic Dome City, ofc)

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Jan 22, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zegermans posted:

yes

a big part is because the gates foundation gives "grants" to newspapers and other media outlets

citations needed has a good episode on gates

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i gave all my money away*

*to a foundation completely controlled by me that pays me a huge salary and since its non profit all the money we make is tax free

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Not a Children posted:

My understanding of this is that what defines the "true" blockchain is kept consistent between parties through consensus/verification between clients, measured in terms of the balance of recorded computing power effort

If nodes you controlled somehow constituted more than half of the ledger, you could effectively forge docs and rewrite the history of that chain because your fake ledger outnumbers/outweighs the "true" consensus

Just occurred to me that this is literally what Capital has done to the entire concept of truth, lmao.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1352755683041685506?s=19

Presidents come and presidents go, but Number... Number never changes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1352755683041685506?s=19

Presidents come and presidents go, but Number... Number never changes.

I'm becoming Osama bin laden

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington (SATIRE) posted:

(JAPE)I'm becoming Osama bin laden (PARODY)(SATIRE)

Fixed that for you. drat autocorrect, right? :nsa:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm becoming Osama bin laden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Father Wendigo posted:

Fixed that for you. drat autocorrect, right? :nsa: