Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are y'all generally holding on to your SPACs until merges are actually confirmed or just selling on rumors (or both I guess?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ulio posted:

It depends really on how much cash you can just leave on the side and margin you can get on your account. As someone who use to sell a lot of options pre crash, naked and secured. Imo the best strat I found was. Sell it for stocks you obviously don't mind buying if there is a market sell off and in general have been very strong regardless on market conditions. There is lots of really safe dividend/utility stocks but there is no premium in selling those unless you have a lot of cash and can sell lots of contracts + you have to basically go for extremely long expiry which you have to be ok with.

I would recommend mega cap tech(MSFT, AAPL, GOOGL,AMZN, FB) and spy. IVs is decent on these stocks so you can go to any expiry and get a good premium. They are market leaders and virtually have no competition, that's why they are true market leaders and the anti competitive regulation vs them with Biden will likely not be pushed since Dems have different relation with tech companies to right wing. So even if you get exercised these are basically the stocks everyone buys during any selloff and they have the quickest bounce(March 2020, January 2019). Apple is probably the most viable unless you have a big account.

Yeah, I've definitely been sticking to the "stocks you don't mind owning" credo, and also been targeting tickers where I have holdings and want to reduce my cost basis. I've been doing CRSR the most. Dividend stocks are also appealing and I need to research those a bit more. I found one (STX) that seems to have worked well so far.

I don't use margin and I'm not planning to any time in the near future. I have a relatively low amount to use right now -- sort of feeling out the idea of CSPs, and might commit more capital to it later if it continues to work well.

Cacafuego posted:

PLTR has been good for me

E: sold 3/19 $28p for $5.65 each earlier today

I had my eye on PLTR and almost pulled the trigger before today's pop. I'll probably back burner it for if / when it returns back down to it's normal mid $20 range.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well gently caress me, I've been on planes all day since yesterday, and didn't close out the PLTR covered calls I sold before traveling like I intended to.

Two of them are in the money now and they don't expire until next week so I guess I get to see how much I missed out on!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress it I’m in on CCIV options too now.

Worst thing I did in 2020 was buy travel dips when I could be doing other poo poo other than holding these bags

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bought some CCIV, time for some magic baby.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

gently caress it I’m in on CCIV options too now.

Worst thing I did in 2020 was buy travel dips when I could be doing other poo poo other than holding these bags

Worst thing I did in 2021 was sell cciv at $12 after being psyched at my amazing 20% profit.

e: just sold my pltr for a 20% profit too, so that's gonna hit 40 on Monday I'm sure.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Wifi Toilet posted:

Worst thing I did in 2021 was sell cciv at $12 after being psyched at my amazing 20% profit.

yeah lol. I sold that first day and immediately regretted after seeing all the hype. bought back in the next day and ive kept buying more during dips

hard not taking profit though every time it booms like this. most of my calls are +120% right now

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Gone Fashing posted:

yeah I sold all of mine at the end of the day, so pre-emptive congrats for tomorrow if you're still holding it

changing my pre-emptive congrats to a post-emptive congrats, lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ulio posted:

Ya its totally fine as long as you don't put your entire savings like some people there do. As it just leads to unneeded risk and anxiety. I have never went yolo on any 1 stock and made great returns. I want to keep making a lot of money and not lose any which is not something you can realistically do if you just put back all your profits into weekly options like people in r/wsb do.

So what percentage of my life savings would you recommend I put in stock? Say if I had $10,000 (just as an example)?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tyro posted:

Well gently caress me, I've been on planes all day since yesterday, and didn't close out the PLTR covered calls I sold before traveling like I intended to.

Two of them are in the money now and they don't expire until next week so I guess I get to see how much I missed out on!

Yeah, I closed my 29c right before the big pump at a small loss, about .45 per contract. Considering selling some more calls on Monday. This pump doesn't make sense to me. Expecting a return to mid 20s in the next 2 weeks, but hey, I could be wrong.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what percentage of my life savings would you recommend I put in stock? Say if I had $10,000 (just as an example)?

Invest for your retirement then spend your play money on whatever it is you want (stocks for example). So if you have 10K for example, you should put $0 of it on CCIV.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is that a real question? Whatever you're comfortable with. Do you need that 10k? Many stocks and especially meme stocks are essentially gambling so I would put zero percentage of my "life savings" in them. On the other hand if you lost 3k of that and wouldn't miss it, gamble away. It depends on your specific life.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
It is going to be absolutely fascinating to see what happens when WSB gears up for the next GME. It's going to happen, probably next week, and I can't wait to see if this is just a *thing* that becomes part of the marketplace, or if it fails spectacularly either from immediate apathy or some sort of SEC regulation.

What a time to be alive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Made 30 bucks so far, learning stocks is fun :peanut:

E: Regreting buying a bunch of stuff I am waiting to rise up in summer instead of buying more lower priced stocks but thats how you learn

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Axios just reported ZNTE is in talks with Lilium.

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-pro-rata

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shappa posted:

It is going to be absolutely fascinating to see what happens when WSB gears up for the next GME. It's going to happen, probably next week, and I can't wait to see if this is just a *thing* that becomes part of the marketplace, or if it fails spectacularly either from immediate apathy or some sort of SEC regulation.

What a time to be alive.
The great thing is, convincing a bunch of WSBers to just buy shares of something and hold them for a while seems like it could only drastically reduce the amount of risk these memers are exposing themselves to.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l2x7he/gme_yolo_update_jan_22_2021/

:stare:

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Put your life savings in Vanguard, Schwab, or Fidelity (low fee brokers), in a rothIRA. Do broad market indexes like Vtsax/vti. Read up on bogglehead investment strategies (great wiki) and other general personal finance advice. Maybe some bonds if you’re older like 40s. Save a few months emergency funds, more if you have dependents.

For individual stocks act like you’re going to poker night or Vegas and budget it as fun money. With an individual stocks people can and do lose all of their money before the afternoon. You don’t want that kind of ride with your life savings.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ugh don't encourage me to buy more WSB memes please :psypop:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My hope for this man to get that bread is immense.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

What does that guy even do at this point? That’s life changing money for most people but I’m assuming he was already wealthy to be able to try this in the first place.

How easy is it to cash all that out if he wanted to hop off? I’m assuming you can’t just click a button and it all turns to cash instantly. Or maybe you can?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Lol.

clam the gently caress down posted:

Put your life savings in Vanguard, Schwab, or Fidelity (low fee brokers), in a rothIRA. Do broad market indexes like Vtsax/vti. Read up on bogglehead investment strategies (great wiki) and other general personal finance advice. Maybe some bonds if you’re older like 40s. Save a few months emergency funds, more if you have dependents.

For individual stocks act like you’re going to poker night or Vegas and budget it as fun money. With an individual stocks people can and do lose all of their money before the afternoon. You don’t want that kind of ride with your life savings.

Thanks. My 401k is already in Vanguard.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

drowningidiot posted:

What does that guy even do at this point? That’s life changing money for most people but I’m assuming he was already wealthy to be able to try this in the first place.

How easy is it to cash all that out if he wanted to hop off? I’m assuming you can’t just click a button and it all turns to cash instantly. Or maybe you can?

he could convert it to cash pretty easily

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Shappa posted:

What a time to be alive.

I wondered the same thing, as soon as one of them manages to crack a major hedge fund I think you will see *some* sort of intervention but I have no idea what that might look like. I am also assuming this is wreaking havoc with the HFT algos.

Now that they know the recipe of "just find whoever is super shorted" poo poo is probably going to really pop off. I got lucky and had some money in BB calls and by nothing but stubbornness I nearly theta'd them to zero and out of no where a near 20% pop in the UL. I took most of the profit but can't help but to hold onto some of it in the event buying BB goes viral over the weekend.

Robinhood is basically enabling stocks to be DDoS'd.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drowningidiot posted:

Not quite instantly, but quickly enough. That represents a total of 150,000 shares. Today's total trade volume in GME was over 195,000,000. The most busy minute during the day traded 97,891shares. I'm pretty sure it will open a lot lower on Monday though.

I can't wait to read all the stories about this time. The 80s, the dot com boom, all of that is such peanuts.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ola posted:

I can't wait to read all the stories about this time. The 80s, the dot com boom, all of that is such peanuts.

I think a lot of them we'll never get to hear. Lots will become wealthy enough to retire early over a matter of months, probably more will lose a large percentage of their net worth (I did the latter in 2020 due to stupid mistakes). It's a crazy time with meme stocks and easy access to brokerages like RH.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah, I've definitely been sticking to the "stocks you don't mind owning" credo, and also been targeting tickers where I have holdings and want to reduce my cost basis. I've been doing CRSR the most. Dividend stocks are also appealing and I need to research those a bit more. I found one (STX) that seems to have worked well so far.

I don't use margin and I'm not planning to any time in the near future. I have a relatively low amount to use right now -- sort of feeling out the idea of CSPs, and might commit more capital to it later if it continues to work well.

I had my eye on PLTR and almost pulled the trigger before today's pop. I'll probably back burner it for if / when it returns back down to it's normal mid $20 range.

CRSR is a good choice, I been long since IPO. I would say Logitech is a bit better but Corsair are in the memory market and the esports section of the market is so lucrative + growing so fast. The margins on high end gaming accessories are insane.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I'm really happy for that guy that made it big on GME but right now.... I would just sell. Not point holding to lose it all if you have made so so much. Just take it and run guy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strumpy posted:

I'm really happy for that guy that made it big on GME but right now.... I would just sell. Not point holding to lose it all if you have made so so much. Just take it and run guy.

They've been telling him that for months - but yeah, I would just loving sell the lot, retire, and never work another day in my life. When daily swings in one stock are increasing or decreasing your net worth by millions of dollars how do you even function

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Non meme stock degenerate conversation: I am holding a couple $AMD 2/19 $13 calls and realized I don't know what to do with them with AMD reporting earnings Tuesday after close.

Ya know, "don't hold through earnings"

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Oh yeah of course - but isn't there a point where it's just beyond a joke? Is risking it all for a meme worth it if you can just escape reality for the rest of your life. It wasn't at that level a year ago.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Need a nice round 10 million gain to make it a good story

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

He cashed out 2.6 million, he never has to work again anyways most likely.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ranbo das posted:

He cashed out 2.6 million, he never has to work again anyways most likely.

Yeah this is what i would do too, get enough to retire and see if im gonna be yacht rich or not

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

cr0y posted:

I wondered the same thing, as soon as one of them manages to crack a major hedge fund I think you will see *some* sort of intervention but I have no idea what that might look like. I am also assuming this is wreaking havoc with the HFT algos.

Now that they know the recipe of "just find whoever is super shorted" poo poo is probably going to really pop off. I got lucky and had some money in BB calls and by nothing but stubbornness I nearly theta'd them to zero and out of no where a near 20% pop in the UL. I took most of the profit but can't help but to hold onto some of it in the event buying BB goes viral over the weekend.

Robinhood is basically enabling stocks to be DDoS'd.

I think if the overall economy hadn't permanently lost jobs due Covid19, fed would definitely address this. I am guessing Fed will be less dovish by q1 2022 and Biden's corporate tax rate changes will change the fundamentals that should atleast be a risk off event for a bit. Which means WSB can keep doing this to cheap highly shorted stocks as the overall market condition should be good for most of this year.

I think too much speculation is a negative thing in the markets but this is very concentrated speculation. Instead of the dotcom bubble, it's just specific stocks this board is pushing. So short term traders have stop losses and notoriously new speculators are known to have weak hands, any broad market pullback, I can see trading firms abusing their specific names for easy money. With current market conditions though I wouldn't short anything, not only the WSB names. The vaccine, dovish Fed and Biden admin are factors that are too strong to ignore.

I do think SEC should do something about Robin Hood, speculation is fine as long as there is more investors than speculators. Because investors want companies to grow and help the economy, aka do something productive. Speculators want to sell at a higher price to the next person. If we see these types of incidents repeating, the infamy of this subreddit will keep growing and keep giving birth to robinhoobd wsb tiktok speculators.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

punk rebel ecks posted:

You want to diversify, so roughly 50% stocks, 15% warrants, with the rest in options.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

lol less than 600 bucks into 6 figgies on 0day calls

Ulio posted:

I do think SEC should do something about Robin Hood, speculation is fine as long as there is more investors than speculators. Because investors want companies to grow and help the economy, aka do something productive. Speculators want to sell at a higher price to the next person. If we see these types of incidents repeating, the infamy of this subreddit will keep growing and keep giving birth to robinhoobd wsb tiktok speculators.

what could sec actually do about rh? force them to charge a commission or something?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

thats not candy posted:

what could sec actually do about rh? force them to charge a commission or something?

I don't know but I am going to love the hypocrisy of regulators arguing wall street is very dangerous and needs more regulation.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for some big money spec guy walking into his bosses office and saying "hey we have a serious problem with our gamestop shorts"

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

thats not candy posted:

lol less than 600 bucks into 6 figgies on 0day calls

god drat congrats man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ulio posted:

All of financial law is filled with weird and complicated procedures that were put in place in order to prevent some specific speculative poo poo that hit the fan a long time ago. And after that, different types of poo poo have kept hitting the fan regardless because the same human nature is at work and we always come up with new poo poo to throw at fans. It's Robinhood, SPACs and memes this time, we have no idea what it will be the next time. But it's definitely one of those times though.